Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:53 am 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=45#52 date=04/07/04 at 12:11:55]Yeah, it's near Hagerstown. I'm in Frederick. You're welcome too! 8)[/quote]<br><br>Thanks, dude! Josh works in Frederick at a patent law office. (I forget what it's called, but I'll call him tonight and ask him.) <br><br>EDIT: I think it's called Larson and Associates. If that's the right name, it's on Church Street. (There's a Church Street in Paden City, too! :O)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:13 pm 

i like a winner - the usa is a winner, on the other hand - <br><br>From the Net: France announced today that it plans to ban fireworks at Euro Disney, following last night's display that caused soldiers at a nearby French army garrison to surrender. <br><br>"It is important to remember that the French have always been there when they needed us." - Anonymous <br><br>French history: Gaelic Wars - Lost. In a war whose ending foreshadows the next 2000 years of French history, France is conquered by of all things, an Italian. <br><br>Hundred Years War - Mostly lost. Saved at last by female schizophrenic who inadvertently creates The First Rule of French Warfare: "France's armies are victorious only when not led by a Frenchman." <br><br>Italian Wars - Lost. France becomes the first and only country to ever lose two wars when fighting Italians. <br><br>Wars of Religion - France goes 0-5-4 against the Huguenots. <br><br>Thirty Years War - France is technically not a participant, but manages to get invaded anyway. Claims a tie on the basis that eventually the other participants started ignoring her. <br><br>War of Devolution - Tied. Frenchmen take to wearing red flowerpots as chapeaux. <br><br>The Dutch War - Tied. <br><br>War of the Augsburg League/King William's War/French and Indian War - Lost, but claimed as a tie. Three ties in a row induces deluded Frogophiles the world over to label the period as the height of French military power. <br><br>War of the Spanish Succession - Lost. The War also gave the French their first taste of a Marlborough, which they d every since. <br><br>American Revolution - In a move that will become quite familiar to future Americans, France claims a win even though the English colonists saw far more action. This is later known as "de Gaulle Syndrome", and leads to the Second Rule of French Warfare: "France only wins when America does most of the fighting." <br><br>French Revolution - Won, primarily due the fact that the opponent was also French. <br><br>The Napoleonic Wars - Lost. Temporary victories (remember the First Rule!) due to leadership of a Corsican, who ended up being no match for a British foot-wear designer. <br><br>The Franco-Prussian War - Lost. Germany first plays the role of drunk frat boy to France's ugly girl home alone on a Saturday night. <br><br>World War I - Tied and on the way to losing, France is saved by the United States. Thousands of French women find out what it's like to not only sleep with a winner, but one who doesn't call her "Fraulein." <br><br>Sadly, widespread use of condoms by American forces forestalls any improvement in the French bloodline. <br><br>World War II - Lost. Conquered French liberated by the United States and Britain just as they finish learning the Horst Wessel Song. <br><br>War in Indochina - Lost. French forces plead sickness, take to bed with the Dien Bien Flu. <br><br>Algerian Rebellion - Lost. Loss marks the first defeat of a western army by a Non-Turkic Muslim force since the Crusades, and produces the First Rule of Muslim Warfare: "We can always beat the French."  This rule is identical to the First Rules of the Italians, Russians, Germans, English, Dutch, Spanish, Vietnamese and Esquimaux. <br><br>War on Terrorism - France, keeping in mind its recent history, surrenders to Germans and Muslims just to be safe. Attempts to surrender to Vietnamese ambassador fail after he takes refuge in a McDonald's. <br><br>The question for any country silly enough to count on the French should not be "can we count on the French?", but rather "how long until France surrenders?" <br><br><br>mungo<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:00 pm 

[quote author=Mij link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=0#0 date=03/28/04 at 14:20:01]
  • A lot of brave and proud peoples who truly believes in Freedom and equal chances for all<br>
  • Lots of good comedy shows<br>
  • Lots of good films of all sorts (6th sense, Matrix,...) <br>
  • Some great music get done (Zappa, of course, and others)<br>
  • Talented and ambitious people risk an honest chance of making it<br>
  • Great Landmarks and sceneries<br>
  • Best guitars (Thanks to Stephen !)<br>
  • Great Golf by Tiger (well not this week-end though)<br>
  • Cars from the 50/60 are way too much (Belair 57)<br>
  • Southern girls are irresistible<br>
  • Cheap restaurants (OK for a family traveling)<br>
  • Cheap Motels (same reason)<br>
  • Some great American people in this forum I'd like to meet<br>
<br><br>That's all I can think of right now. And I'm truely sincere. You already know what I don't like (US politics). Call to US outsiders to put up their own here if they dare.[/quote]<br><br><br>absolutly pathetic - the arch yank-hater mij's attempt to retrieve a little credibility on the forum. hey mij - this is whats commonly termed - TO BE DAMNED WITH FEINT PRAISE .<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:10 pm 

[quote author=Dallas Alice link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=45#55 date=04/23/04 at 16:13:25]<br>From the Net: France announced today that it plans to ban fireworks at Euro Disney, following last night's display that caused soldiers at a nearby French army garrison to surrender. <br><br>etc etc etc....<br>[/quote]<br><br>Image

Post subject: re: french military
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:27 pm 

Q: What do women who are snipers in the French military use as camouflage?  <br>A: Their armpits. <br><br>Q: Why do the French people seem so hell bent on kissing Jacques Chirac's ass? <br>A: Because the French, in general are less sensitive to  bad smells and certainly more tolerant of bitter flavors!! <br><br>Q: Since everyone knows that French men are gay, how come there are French children? <br>A: Because of the confusion caused by the fact that French women have mustaches!! <br><br>Q: Why does Nike like the French Army? <br>A: Because, in war time, they are the biggest buyers of running shoes. <br><br>A man askes his companion, "What's the most common French expression"? His friend scratches his head, shrugs his shoulders and replies, "I give up!" <br><br>A French rifle is for sale on e-bay. It's never been fired but I heard it's been dropped once. <br><br>Rumor has it that those French tanks have 6 gears, 5 reverse and 1 forward.  Just in case they're attacked from behind, that's where the forward gear comes in handy....<br><br>Q: How many Frenchman does it take to guard Paris?  <br>A: Nobody knows, its never been tried before <br><br>The real reason the French have not mobilized in the war with Iraq is they were covertly asked not to participate with the coalition. Seems the British, Americans and everyone else had logically concluded that having both sides of a war trying to simultaneously surrender would be too confusing. <br><br>"Army personnel in Kuwait unloaded a dozen faulty tanks that only go in reverse. Tanks that only go in reverse — they've been repackaged and sold to France." —Craig Kilborn <br><br>"I would call the French scumbags, but that, of course, would be a disservice to bags filled with scum. I say we invade Iraq, then invade Chirac." —Dennis Miller <br><br>"French troops arrived in Afghanistan last week, and not a minute too soon. The French are acting as advisers to the Taliban, to teach them how to surrender properly." —Jay Leno <br><br>"We didn't need the French after all, the Iraqis are starting to surrender before the fighting starts, guess they knew the French maneuver already." <br><br>Q. How do you introduce yourself in French? A. "Don't shoot, I give up!"<br><br>Today, the government of France fell when Jacques Chirac unexpectedly surrendered to a tourist couple from Düsseldorf. <br>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:58 pm 

[quote author=GypsyDream link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=45#45 date=04/06/04 at 21:54:17]<br><br><br>Maybe...I'll plan a little "day-trip" down to Maryland myself.  I've always wanted to visit Edgar Allen Poe's tomb in Baltimore.  :)<br>[/quote]<br><br>For the 57th straight year, a mystery man paid tribute to legendary horror author and poet Edgar Allan Poe by placing roses and a bottle of cognac on the writer’s grave in Baltimore, MD., to mark his birthday today<br><br>For decades, a frail figure made the visit to Poe's grave. In 1993 the original visitor left a cryptic note saying, "The torch will be passed." A later note said the man, who apparently died in 1998, had handed the tradition on to his sons.<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:17 am 

[quote author=aquabot link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=45#58 date=01/20/06 at 01:46:34]at least we didn't get killed in Vietnam and we don't look ridiculous in Irak. At leat we didn't get two big towers destoyed by a few guys armed with cutters. [/quote]<br><br>Why did you post this in the What I like in America thread?  This was certainly out of the blue.  There are so many threads you could choose from to bitch in! Ha ha ha ha ha ha;D  You could start a what I like in France thread.  In fact, I think I will!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:09 am 

[quote author=aquabot link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=45#58 date=01/20/06 at 01:46:34]at least we didn't get killed in Vietnam[/quote]<br><br>As far as I can recall, France tried to deal with the Vietminh themselves, got their asses handed to them, and then asked us to handle it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:14 am 

i have to say i agree with aquabot on this...if the comments made previously were about black people everyone here would be going mental and rightly so.

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:53 am 

[quote author=aquabot link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=45#58 date=01/20/06 at 01:46:34]at least we didn't get killed in Vietnam and we don't look ridiculous in Irak. At leat we didn't get two big towers destoyed by a few guys armed with cutters. [/quote]<br><br>Thats the best you can do Pierre?<br><br>  Americans, Brits, and Canadians were killed on the beaches of Normandy while liberating your country so it wouldn't be destroyed any further. I can guess they didn't care at all about the politics of the governments or why they were defending who they were; would you if you were cold,wet,hungry, scared, tired and wondering if you would live to see your 23rd birthday?<br><br>[center]Image[/center]<br>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:36 pm 

[quote author=aquabot link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=45#58 date=01/20/06 at 01:46:34]at least we didn't get killed in Vietnam and we don't look ridiculous in Irak. At leat we didn't get two big towers destoyed by a few guys armed with cutters. [/quote]<br><br><br>[quote author=Milton_Bradley link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=60#65 date=01/20/06 at 13:53:37]<br><br>Thats the best you can do Pierre?<br><br>  Americans, Brits, and Canadians were killed on the beaches of Normandy while liberating your country so it wouldn't be destroyed any further. I can guess they didn't care at all about the politics of the governments or why they were defending who they were; would you if you were cold,wet,hungry, scared, tired and wondering if you would live to see your 23rd birthday?<br><br>[center]Image[/center]<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>I think you both need to read up on some history....<br><br>aquabot: Wasnt France in Vietnam? I believe you was there long<br>before the Americans...<br><br>..and Milton_Bradley: The D-day wasnt about liberating France...<br>It was the beginning of liberating Europe and the World from Hitler, and his allied.<br>It would have been the same if it was any other country.<br>The reason it happend in France, was just because France <br>was very important to Germany and Hitler at the time...<br><br>The people who gave their lifes on the beaches came from all over Europe, USA and Canada...<br>even people from little ol Norway gave their lifes there...<br><br>Im sure you know this... so just shut this stupid argument.<br><br><br><br>Back to topic please..... ;)<br><br><br>IB ;D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:43 pm 

[quote author=Idiot Bastardson link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=60#66 date=01/20/06 at 14:36:07]<br><br>Back to topic please..... ;)<br><br>[/quote]<br>The people (most of 'em anyway)<br><br>......... and Waffle House

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:39 pm 

[quote author=Idiot Bastardson link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=60#66 date=01/20/06 at 14:36:07]<br><br><br><br><br>I think you both need to read up on some history....<br><br>aquabot: Wasnt France in Vietnam? I believe you was there long<br>before the Americans...<br><br>..and Milton_Bradley: The D-day wasnt about liberating France...<br>It was the beginning of liberating Europe and the World from Hitler, and his allied.<br>It would have been the same if it was any other country.<br>The reason it happend in France, was just because France <br>was very important to Germany and Hitler at the time...<br><br>The people who gave their lifes on the beaches came from all over Europe, USA and Canada...<br>even people from little ol Norway gave their lifes there...<br><br>Im sure you know this... so just shut this stupid argument.<br><br><br><br>Back to topic please..... ;)<br><br><br>IB ;D[/quote]<br><br>Thank you<br>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:59 pm 

Without a long diatribe, I understand Aquabot's reaction. He was responding to two extremely offensive posts by Dallas Alice and slime.oofy.tv. I myself am half French and found those posts offensive. My mother was 14 when the Nazis arrived in Normandy and that was the end of life as she knew it for quite some time, the "scars" are still visible.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:38 pm 

[center]Image[/center]<br>Devil's Tower...one of the stars of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind."<br>[center]Image[/center]<br>Remember the scene which Richard Dryfus freaks out when he keeps seeing that same shape in his shaving cream and mashed potatos? ;D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:59 am 

[quote author=Milton_Bradley link=board=general;num=1080512401;start=60#70 date=01/20/06 at 20:38:41][center]<br>[center]Image[/center]<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>The single Thing I like the most from the US are UFOs (Did a vehicle?)<br><br>From AMERICA I would say South America ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:25 am 

there's shitloads of things i like from america, <br><br>music<br>films<br>actors <br>scenery<br>people<br>comedians<br>sitcoms<br>cheap fuel<br>cheap grass<br>big cities<br>singers<br>multi-culturism<br>digital nimbus <br>some of the accents<br>up front mentality (people who speak their mind)<br>mescaline<br>authors<br><br><br>obviously there's some things i don't like but there's plenty things i don't like about my own country. You can't have the concept of "like" without having "dislike" or love and hate if you like. Without knowing what we disliked or hated then we wouldn't have an appreciation of the good things....basically if everything was good then we wouldn't have the capability to know it, it would be mundane as you need conflicting emotions to fully appreciate things.<br><br><br>the one thing i do dislike is their absurd policy of not letting convicted criminals into the country....it means my wife can't visit  ;D<br><br><br><br><br>

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:36 am 

The hot chicks<br>Zappa music<br>New York Yankee baseball<br>hambugers<br>hot dogs<br>freedom to walk yer dog whereever (almost) you want<br>the knowledge the stooge is leaving office in two years

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next