Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue May 24, 2016 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Miles Davis suggestions?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:32 pm 

I've been getting into Miles Davis lately. (Generally, I'm not as into improvisational music so much as compositional, but in the last year or so, that's really been changing.) Blah blah, I've been looking all through that world wide internet place and have found little critical review of his music that I find to be of much substance (maybe I just don't really know where to look?). Anyway, I trust the musical opinions of many members of this forum over any amazon.com user review or whatever, and I was wondering, for any of those of you who listen to Miles Davis (I'm sure there must be some), what albums/periods you prefer/enjoy and would recommend. Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:38 pm 

I like Sketches of Spain a whole lot...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:43 pm 

I only have 3 of his CD's ("Kind of Blue", "Sketches of Spain", and "Bitches Brew"), so I'm not totally qualified to make a judgment on his whole output. I will say that Kind of Blue is an amazing record, and should be one of your first purchases.

P.S. I also recommend John Coltrane. He and Davis worked together for many years. "A Love Supreme" is one of the best jazz albums of all time (quite possibly second only to "Kind of Blue")

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:55 pm 

I'm no professional expert but this is a great career wide overview,
tho doc'ing '55-'85 you get a glimpse of all the major highlights, a taste of all the periods he worked for columbia, w Coltrane, Gil Evans, the 2nd quintet, extensive touring all over then going electric and fusion and even a bit of the return in the mid '80's. but 4 cd's worth and now you can get them all for $9 thru one of amazon's 'used vendors' . . . No Fooling. It really is a steal of 35 essential miles davis on 4 regular length cd's

but I can talk about miles music all day

and if you're thinking of gettin individual releases, don't. get one of the several boxsets out there, they always are cheaper in the long run, always have extras that the singles won't and are usually a more recent sonic upgrade. But I always like to find out what period I like most and then get all of that and then find out the extra live bootlegs and stuff after. you may do it different. I got that columbia set above and then started getting the boxsets as they came out, now I've got them all. If you were on pando, I could send them all to ya . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:32 am 

I love Miles Davis. There is so much to his music, just pick one and go for it. I started with Bitches Brew, not exactly the easiest album to begin your journey with, but as it was how it happened for me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:46 am 

Essentials include:
Birth Of The Cool
Kind Of Blue
Milestones
Porgy And Bess
Sketches Of Spain
E.S.P
Filles De Kilimanjaro
In A Silent Way
Bitches Brew
A Tribute To Jack Johnson
On The Corner
Get Up With It

Buy any of these and you'll be fine. Haven't heard any of his '80s albums, but I've been told that they're wack.

Last edited by pigs03 on Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:48 am 

1967-1975 is my favorite stuff especially the Cellar Door set and 1969-1975 periods

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:23 am 

pigs03 wrote:
Essentials include:
Birth Of The Cool
Kind Of Blue
Milestones
Porgy And Bess
Sketches Of Spain
E.S.P
Filles De Kilimanjaro
In A Silent Way
Bitches Brew
On The Corner
Get Up With It

Buy any of these and you'll be fine. Haven't heard any of his '80s albums, but I've been told that they're wack.

What he said plus Live Evil and Live in the Filmore East.

At least one of his 80s album is pretty decent: Aura

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:07 am 

what other kind of music do you like? if you like funk you should check out his 1980's stuff, most "jazz purists :roll: " dont like it, but its not straight ahead, its funk. for some live stuff check out this streaming site, got a bunch of frankie too, and anything else you can think of: Sugarmegs. for albums of the 80's era (more composed improvisational, not so open ended like bitches brew era stuff):
Decoy
The Man With The Horn
Youre Under Arrest
Star People
Then theres a couple of dvds from this era that really give you an appreciation, Live at Montreau Jazz Fest 85, Paris 89, and Berlin 88. Go to
Amazon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:20 am 

Get Up WIth It is monumental: worth it for "Calypso Frelimo" alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:50 pm 

Thanks, all. I'll definitely look into all of your suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:20 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
1967-1975 is my favorite stuff especially the Cellar Door set and 1969-1975 periods

My favorite period as well. But I do like some of the more traditional 'jazzy' stuff too. On a side note, my boss lady told me she's bringing me a box of her husbands records tomorrow. I was told there was quite a bit of Miles on vinyl. SWEET!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:35 pm 

Don't forget:

Walkin'
Relaxin'
Cookin'
Workin'

The Quintet (Miles, Herbie, Tony, Ron, Wayne) box is essential.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:09 pm 

^^ yes those are awesome. i dont have all of them, but have heard most. they unfortunately did those recording basically for H money...pretty sad, but kind of interesting that they could throw together such amazing recordings for a fix. theres so much miles, its just ridiculous, you really have to just start somewhere and work your way around the different eras....much like jumping into FZ, theres just so much ground to cover its hard to know where to start, but you eventually find your way....appreciate it all, but then have your favorites. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:41 pm 

mil wrote:
Get Up WIth It is monumental: worth it for "Calypso Frelimo" alone.

agreed. 'he loved him madly' is my favorite track, though. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:37 am 

pigs03 wrote:
Essentials include:
Birth Of The Cool
Kind Of Blue
Milestones
Porgy And Bess
Sketches Of Spain
E.S.P
Filles De Kilimanjaro
In A Silent Way
Bitches Brew
On The Corner
Get Up With It

Not wack really, they just take a while to get into IMO. Aura youd like, as thats a kinda different, more avant garde vibe than the more commercial 80s records like Tutu or Amandla. Also The Man With The Horn, his first after coming out of semi retirement, kicks ass. We Want Miles and Live Around The World too, great live documents of the period.

Whatever you do, no matter what anyone says, AVOID "DOO BOP"!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:29 am 

^^ agreed, doo-bop is the worst thing ive ever heard.....well almost worst.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:51 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
Note that the Cellar Door set can be purchased at a bargain at ITunes (I loaded it for the price of one CD, and there are six!). That funky Keith Jarret rhodes is killing me!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:17 am 

johnoppel wrote:
^^ agreed, doo-bop is the worst thing ive ever heard.....well almost worst.

Yeah. A shame really, because potentially, it couldve been a real ground breaking album. Miles meets Hip Hop, etc.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:33 am 

I've got that actually; it's what probably turned me off from looking into the other '80s CDs. But that album was completed after Davis passed away, so it might've been interesting had he been alive during its completion.

I think that 'On The Corner' was hip-hop before hip-hop, though. A great album that was extremely underappreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:39 am 

pigs03 wrote:
I've got that actually; it's what probably turned me off from looking into the other '80s CDs. But that album was completed after Davis passed away, so it might've been interesting had he been alive during its completion.

I think that 'On The Corner' was hip-hop before hip-hop, though. A great album that was extremely underappreciated.

I totally agree. OTC is fucking amazing, a favourite of mine since I heard it. Absolutely mind blowing, and there is nothing else like it in his catalogue really.

Oh, on the 80s tip again, Decoy and Youre Under Arrest are pretty cool too......Very 80s, ( YUA in particular ) but I enjoy them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:07 am 

aura is very good too. it was arranged by some european guy, that tried to encompass the sounds of miles' whole career....each song is a color....freaking brilliant album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:13 am 

johnoppel wrote:
aura is very good too. it was arranged by some european guy, that tried to encompass the sounds of miles' whole career....each song is a color....freaking brilliant album.

Yeah, I mentioned that in an earlier post. Very good album.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:19 am 

My favorite period is from 1965-1975, which is mainly comprised of the second acoustic quintet (Shorter/Hancock/Carter/Williams), starting with 1965's ESP, and the electric period, ending with 1975's Pangaea and Agharta. In my opinion, you can not go wrong buying ANY release from that 10 year span. It just depends whether you prefer acoustic or electric. Or in some cases both together.

The acoustic quintet made music that sounds as fresh, vital, and "modern" as any acoustic jazz produced since. Recommended releases include: ESP, Highlights From The Plugged Nickel, Miles Smiles, Sorcerer, Nefertiti, Miles In The Sky, the transitional Water Babies, and Filles De Kilimanjaro.

Kicking off the electric period is the MASTERPIECE In A Silent Way. Did I say masterpiece? I own Biotches Brew, Live At The Fillmore East (3/7/70), Jack Johnson, Black Beauty, On The Corner, Live-Evil, Live At Philharmonic Hall, Dark Magus, Big Fun, and Get Up With It, as well as the aforementioned Pangaea and Agharta, and would recommend any of them in a heartbeat. Live-Evil contains stuff from the Cellar Door, so if you like it you can spring for the entire box.

That all being said, in a more traditional vein, the first acoustic quintet (Coltrane/Garland/Chambers/Jones) offers top-notch material, and the sextet albums Milestones and Kind of Blue are rightly regarded as timeless masterpieces of this period.

The only thing I own from post 1975 is 1981's live We Want Miles and it kicks ass (see: Mike Stern on git)! Highly recommended.

Hope this helps. Have fun on your journey!

>You don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:00 am 

My personal Miles Favorites are-
Bitches Brew
Big Fun
Jack Johnson
Nefertiti
Miles In The Sky
On The Corner
In A Silent Way
Live-Evil