Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 14901
Location: Centerville
Several sources are speculating that next Sunday, the Stones will announce their retirement after the tour's last gig in London. Truth or publicity stunt?

Rolling Stones: Should the Stones jack it in?

After more than 40 years, the wrinkly rockers are still at it. Two Telegraph writers debate whether it's time to stop


Image

_________________
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true Art and Science. - Albert Einstein

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 7:53 am
Posts: 1128
Location: The Grape
Yeah!!! Its about time!! wrinkle rock is out!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:26 am 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:25 pm
Posts: 4071
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland
They retired after Brian Jones quit the group.

.....never the same since then. :cry:

_________________
"If Frank Zappa cut a fart and mixed it to stereo, I'd buy it!" - jimmie d


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:07 pm
Posts: 5780
Location: Closer than I Appear
massagio wrote:
Yeah!!! Its about time!! wrinkle rock is out!!


And poop rock is in!

I think it's about time the Stones called it a day. They've been fairly consistent and all, but what more is there for them to do? They could have broken up after Brian Jones left, and I would still have thought, "man, what a great career." And I'm not even a huge Stones fan.

Edit: Just read Jimmie D's post ^^^^. Hail Brian Jones!

_________________
Let's hear it again for the London Philharmonic Orchestra!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:57 am
Posts: 3017
Location: Topsham, Maine
They are well past relevant at this stage.
I wouldn't pay their bloated ticket prices to see them play now.
Maybe if I could get into a time machine and go back to see a show from 1968-73. But not for Rolling Stones circa 2007.

_________________
Wanna Buy A Grunt With A Third Party Check
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:32 am 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:25 pm
Posts: 4071
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland
feetlightup wrote:
And poop rock is in!

I think it's about time the Stones called it a day. They've been fairly consistent and all, but what more is there for them to do? They could have broken up after Brian Jones died, and I would still have thought, "man, what a great career." And I'm not even a huge Stones fan.

Edit: Just read Jimmie D's post ^^^^. Hail Brian Jones!

History: Brian Jones quit the band (June 9, 1969) prior to his death (July 3, 1969).

_________________
"If Frank Zappa cut a fart and mixed it to stereo, I'd buy it!" - jimmie d


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3908
Well, what the heck. They make huge amounts of moola touring. I've never been a fan enough to buy one of their records or a concert ticket,
but I can't blame 'em for keeping it going. It would literally be turning your back on Millions upon millions and if I could provide for my heirs by making an ass of myself on stage, I certainly would. And Lord only knows what charities are gonna benefit when these guys start to croak. So, more power to 'em.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 6529
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
They lost it for me after Exile On Main Street and Goats Head Soup.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:57 am
Posts: 3017
Location: Topsham, Maine
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
They lost it for me after Exile On Main Street and Goats Head Soup.


I liked Tattoo You too.

_________________
Wanna Buy A Grunt With A Third Party Check
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:07 pm
Posts: 5780
Location: Closer than I Appear
I'm an "Aftermath" thru "Satanic Majesties" man myself. Tattoo You is pretty fun in spots though.
I'm listening to Singles Collection: The London Years box set right now. Essential stuff.

_________________
Let's hear it again for the London Philharmonic Orchestra!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:55 pm 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:25 pm
Posts: 4071
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland
feetlightup wrote:
I'm an "Aftermath" thru "Satanic Majesties" man myself. Tattoo You is pretty fun in spots though.
I'm listening to Singles Collection: The London Years box set right now. Essential stuff.

Just in case you don't already own their first five albums, get 'em. If you feel that the Singles Collection is essential stuff, I believe that you will enjoy the first five albums, too. Aftermath is US album #6.

1 - The Rolling Stones
2 - 12x5
3 - The Rolling Stones, Now!
4 - Out Of Our Heads
5 - December's Children (and everybody's)

The UK and US original vinyl releases of every album thru and including Aftermath have different songs on the albums. The Abkco cd releases have done a pretty good job of combining the two. The faster tempo US version of Everybody Needs Somebody To Love has been omitted in favor of the slower tempo UK version. Shoulda been a bonus cut. Other than that, I have no complaints.

I had just turned 14 when their first US album was released. Beatlemania was in full tilt, and unknown to the world at that time, was just gettin' started. The British Invasion was on, and I loved every second of it!!! 1964 was a great time to be a teenager. Anyone that contends the Beatles and the Stones are overrated probably wasn't born until after 1955.

The Stones also have an ultra-rare early blues-type album on Decca (Germany). Ever heard 'em do Poison Ivy?

8)

_________________
"If Frank Zappa cut a fart and mixed it to stereo, I'd buy it!" - jimmie d


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:07 pm
Posts: 5780
Location: Closer than I Appear
jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
feetlightup wrote:
I'm an "Aftermath" thru "Satanic Majesties" man myself. Tattoo You is pretty fun in spots though.
I'm listening to Singles Collection: The London Years box set right now. Essential stuff.

Just in case you don't already own their first five albums, get 'em. If you feel that the Singles Collection is essential stuff, I believe that you will enjoy the first five albums, too. Aftermath is US album #6.

1 - The Rolling Stones
2 - 12x5
3 - The Rolling Stones, Now!
4 - Out Of Our Heads
5 - December's Children (and everybody's)

The UK and US original vinyl releases of every album thru and including Aftermath have different songs on the albums. The Abkco cd releases have done a pretty good job of combining the two. The faster tempo US version of Everybody Needs Somebody To Love has been omitted in favor of the slower tempo UK version. Shoulda been a bonus cut. Other than that, I have no complaints.

I had just turned 14 when their first US album was released. Beatlemania was in full tilt, and unknown to the world at that time, was just gettin' started. The British Invasion was on, and I loved every second of it!!! 1964 was a great time to be a teenager. Anyone that contends the Beatles and the Stones are overrated probably wasn't born until after 1955.

The Stones also have an ultra-rare early blues-type album on Decca (Germany). Ever heard 'em do Poison Ivy?

8)


I have "Now!" and "December's Children" - yeah they're both good too.

Poison Ivy... I think I have that song on "More Hot Rocks - Big Hits and Fazed Cookies" - lots of rarities on that one, much cooler than the original Hot Rocks album.

_________________
Let's hear it again for the London Philharmonic Orchestra!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:40 pm 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:25 pm
Posts: 4071
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland
Regarding December's Children.....I love the 90-second opening screamer "She Said Yeah". Little known factoid: Sonny Bono co-wrote "She Said Yeah". Larry Williams did it way back when. December's Children lists writing credits for that song as: G. Roderick, S. Christy, R. Jackson. Sonny Christy is Sonny Bono.

_________________
"If Frank Zappa cut a fart and mixed it to stereo, I'd buy it!" - jimmie d


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:52 pm
Posts: 699
Location: The United States
Goats Head Soup was the last one i liked...although i really like "Shattered" off of some girls.

_________________
"Once you go black, you never go back."
--Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:07 pm
Posts: 5780
Location: Closer than I Appear
Joe Mama wrote:
Goats Head Soup was the last one i liked...although i really like "Shattered" off of some girls.


There was a local crazy guy in the town where I went to college, and he used to come to all the soccer games. He carried around some big book he was writing, and he was very friendly - if you engaged him in conversation, he would always say, "Hey man, are you Shattered?". And then (if you were new at this) he would instruct you on how to respond: "No, man, when I say are you shattered, you say 'shadooby', and then I say 'kayobee', and then we both say, 'shabrawsky'" Roughly translated, that means, "Hey man, are you Shattered?" "Yes, I am shattered" "I'm shattered too" (together) "We're both shattered together!"

His name was Jackie, in case you want to look him up.

_________________
Let's hear it again for the London Philharmonic Orchestra!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7525
Location: exile
I think that 'exile on main st.' was the last really good stones-album. since then, they've been repeating themselves over and over, even though they have managed to throw in some really good songs here and there.

my all-time favorite stones-album is 'beggars banquet.'

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:51 pm 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:40 pm
Posts: 2342
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
I think that 'exile on main st.' was the last really good stones-album. since then, they've been repeating themselves over and over, even though they have managed to throw in some really good songs here and there.

my all-time favorite stones-album is 'beggars banquet.'


Nailed it!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:35 am
Posts: 1736
Location: CT, usa
thats ok by me, never liked the stones. about the only good thing out of england was pink floyd...for my money anyway. 8)

_________________
looks like i'm back playing with Clearlight Industries. CLI MySpace


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:39 pm 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:40 pm
Posts: 2342
...and Cream.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:40 pm 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:40 pm
Posts: 2342
...and Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:35 am
Posts: 1736
Location: CT, usa
...and black sabbath. :)

_________________
looks like i'm back playing with Clearlight Industries. CLI MySpace


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:53 pm 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:40 pm
Posts: 2342
...and The Dave Clarke Five.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:07 pm
Posts: 5780
Location: Closer than I Appear
johnoppel wrote:
thats ok by me, never liked the stones. about the only good thing out of england was pink floyd...for my money anyway. 8)


no pun intended...? :mrgreen:

_________________
Let's hear it again for the London Philharmonic Orchestra!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:57 am
Posts: 3017
Location: Topsham, Maine
zombie1210 wrote:
...and The Dave Clarke Five.


Boy. And you had been on such a roll.

_________________
Wanna Buy A Grunt With A Third Party Check
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:54 am
Posts: 4295
Location: En-Ger-Land
Im a big Stones fan...faves are probably Tattoo You and Let It Bleed. Marvellous. 8)

_________________
"Listen to that noise! It's like Barry White eating wasps."


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group