Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12461 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 438, 439, 440, 441, 442, 443, 444 ... 499  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3212
Location: Between the Badges
DB, now it is my turn to be disappointed. Clearly, you found my list of U2 Genres pedestrian and couldn't even come up with a comment. I understand that you can't take time to discuss the basics when you know so much about the band and its details. I know you have deep deep knowledge of U2, but I can't assume that everyone else here knows about their stylistic choices like you do. Per your rule, I won't talk about whether they suck because that's too subjective for some people, just the stylistic differences. So, as a public service to know more about this very popular band, I will outline the following.

THE GENRES OF U2

Drone Rock - The sound of Bono with a backing band, like if he did a solo album. Maybe he did, who knows? Lots of U2 sounds like this.

Delay Mantra - The Edge is the musical mastermind of the band and delays are his weapon. Sure, he's a guitar player, but that is second in importance to the delays for The Edge. I haven't looked that up, but it must be true. The drummer and bass player do exist, so I will recognize that now. But, more than being the sound of U2, Delay Mantra is their Musical Irony and the new thing that they bring to the table. They repeat themselves both in instance and structure. Something is played, wait a bit and it recycles again with a little less substance, wait a bit and its down the hall, wait a bit and its in the elevator, wait a bit and its in the grocery store... Where a Mantra serves to achieve calmness, awareness, satisfaction through focus, emptying the mind and repetition, U2 does just that by keeping it simple: "Wait, more of the same coming around again!" thus, the delay BECOMES the Mantra. Surely, a time-tested method, but never embraced so fully except by U2. A delay is repeated, and so is a Mantra, calmingly, in a very Not Rock way. Instead of Om, we have deedle-eedle-eedle-eedle-dle-dle-ll-ll-lldlllellledlllllldlll... Plus, I just like the idea of someone meditating and quietly playing over in their mind: "Hold on a sec, wait, holdonasec, wait, holdonasecwait, hdlnscwt, hdldhdthldlwldhtdlhdwtldhdldldldldllllllldllldlllllll". Some people might think that the "Mantra" portion has something to do with Bono's lyrics. Who told you that? Bono? Even David Bowie would have to laugh at that.

Whine Beat - When the best of Drone Rock meets the best of Delay Mantra. The dimensionally linear vocals provide stark contrast to the repetitive guitar parts working both with and against each other. It deserves its own genre.

Techno Babble - They dabble in Techno. Add Babbling. What more needs to be said?

Nickelodeon Candy - Rockabye Baby! Lullaby Renditions of U2.
Image
That's not U2 you say? Well, that's irony for ya (neither the musical or visual types though). Kids don't actually like U2, probably Bono's fault, although there are fans who think that U2 could be as big with the little ones as Bon Jovi!
http://forum.atu2.com/index.php?topic=20944.0

Catwalk Soundtrack - I didn't bother to check this out. I have a hard time believing that the Fashion World has not embraced U2 at one time or another. Didn't someone post a link that had them performing on a runway?

Tweezing - Technically, this is part of their Visual Irony, which is rumored to be MASSIVE. DB is the only expert I know of on this topic, so I'll leave that to him to explain.

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3212
Location: Between the Badges
brainpang wrote:
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Well, I'll try to get over your disappointment. Somehow.
Let's see if I can make up for it. U2 surely wasn't just Pop, they were also Catwalk Soundtrack, Drone Rock, Whine Beat, Tweezing, Techno Babble, Nickelodeon Candy, and of course, Delay Mantra.


I like that. Sadly, no response from RainMan.
Is it time to move on and discuss what a piece-of-shit band RUSH is?

I think you are right. However, I have to admit to seeing Rush this summer. I was disappointed. It was at Milwaukee's Summerfest, so I figured that they would want to please a huge outdoor crowd that was there not simply to see them, but for a summer festival on the 4th of July. Maybe we'd hear Lakeside Park? We heard the following:

1. Subdivisions
2. The Big Money
3. Force Ten
4. Grand Designs
5. The Body Electric
6. Territories
7. The Analog Kid
8. Bravado
9. Where's My Thing? (including drum solo)
10.Far Cry
Set 2: (with Clockwork Angels String Ensemble)
11.Caravan
12.Clockwork Angels
13.The Anarchist
14.Carnies
15.The Wreckers
16.Headlong Flight (including drum solo)
17.Halo Effect (guitar solo intro)
18.Seven Cities of Gold
19.The Garden
20.Manhattan Project
21.Drum Solo (The Percussor)
22.Red Sector A
23.YYZ
24.The Spirit of Radio
Encore:
25.Tom Sawyer
26.2112 Part I: Overture
27.2112 Part II: The Temples of Syrinx
28.2112 Part VII: Grand Finale

So, it started off with a middling song, Subdivisions. I say middling in that it was from the album that I saw the tour for when I was a huge Rush fan way back when. Even back then, I wanted to hear all the stuff before Signals. I've tried over the years to get into anything after Signals with only the slightest of successes and tons of disappointing dreck.
The Big Money is Big Annoyance. Geddy voice is built to make this song suck. I actually like GL's voice on the first several albums, but hearing him these days just makes me wish for instrumentals. So, then a few more middling pieces then nearly the whole damn new album, Clockwork Whogivesafuck. Fuck that was boring. And those string players in the background? Could they possibly bow their instruments with any more vigor while jerking their whole bodies as if to say "I dare say! I now rock, am I correct? I have long hair and am with Rush, so this must be a good rocking time for all!" Ugh. Pretend rocking sucks hard.
I was glad that they played some favs near the end, but I was kinda burnt out by then. After a day in the sun and a whole bunch of boring, it was hard to get back going again. Did they really have to play all that Clockwork shit in a row? Couldn't they try to keep a huge crowd awake? I don't mean the hardcore in the pavilion, I mean all the other bored people filling the lawn where I was. Seriously, that was one fucking bored crowd for the majority of the time.
A bit of contrast... I liked them on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. My wife is a huge Foo Fighters fan, so it was fun for the 2 of us to watch as FFs introduced Rush, then Lifeson with his "Blah blah blah" speech. Best one they ever had. For those who hadn't seen it, AL does an entire speech, maybe 3-5 minutes, saying nothing but "Blah Blah Blah" while pantomiming the content. Funny imo, though I'm sure most people just thought WTF.
I've heard recent interviews with them on their writing process, which is basically composition by committee and seems guaranteed to make boring shit like this last album. I like that they try to move forward, not everyone does. But, the results suck. I felt ripped off. I don't think I'll ever see them live again. That kinda sucks too.

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18920
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Image

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2343
I like it when you include the back cover with the setlist, Doug.

I also like it when Arkay gets on a roll.



Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7021
Location: exile
Image

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7021
Location: exile
Image

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7021
Location: exile
downer mydnyte wrote:
I also like it when Arkay gets on a roll.
me too. 8)

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7021
Location: exile
Image

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7021
Location: exile
Image

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7021
Location: exile
Image

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3606
Location: Vancouver, BC
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
DB, now it is my turn to be disappointed. Clearly, you found my list of U2 Genres pedestrian and couldn't even come up with a comment. I understand that you can't take time to discuss the basics when you know so much about the band and its details. I know you have deep deep knowledge of U2, but I can't assume that everyone else here knows about their stylistic choices like you do. Per your rule, I won't talk about whether they suck because that's too subjective for some people, just the stylistic differences. So, as a public service to know more about this very popular band, I will outline the following.

THE GENRES OF U2

Drone Rock - The sound of Bono with a backing band, like if he did a solo album. Maybe he did, who knows? Lots of U2 sounds like this.

Delay Mantra - The Edge is the musical mastermind of the band and delays are his weapon. Sure, he's a guitar player, but that is second in importance to the delays for The Edge. I haven't looked that up, but it must be true. The drummer and bass player do exist, so I will recognize that now. But, more than being the sound of U2, Delay Mantra is their Musical Irony and the new thing that they bring to the table. They repeat themselves both in instance and structure. Something is played, wait a bit and it recycles again with a little less substance, wait a bit and its down the hall, wait a bit and its in the elevator, wait a bit and its in the grocery store... Where a Mantra serves to achieve calmness, awareness, satisfaction through focus, emptying the mind and repetition, U2 does just that by keeping it simple: "Wait, more of the same coming around again!" thus, the delay BECOMES the Mantra. Surely, a time-tested method, but never embraced so fully except by U2. A delay is repeated, and so is a Mantra, calmingly, in a very Not Rock way. Instead of Om, we have deedle-eedle-eedle-eedle-dle-dle-ll-ll-lldlllellledlllllldlll... Plus, I just like the idea of someone meditating and quietly playing over in their mind: "Hold on a sec, wait, holdonasec, wait, holdonasecwait, hdlnscwt, hdldhdthldlwldhtdlhdwtldhdldldldldllllllldllldlllllll". Some people might think that the "Mantra" portion has something to do with Bono's lyrics. Who told you that? Bono? Even David Bowie would have to laugh at that.

Whine Beat - When the best of Drone Rock meets the best of Delay Mantra. The dimensionally linear vocals provide stark contrast to the repetitive guitar parts working both with and against each other. It deserves its own genre.

Techno Babble - They dabble in Techno. Add Babbling. What more needs to be said?

Nickelodeon Candy - Rockabye Baby! Lullaby Renditions of U2.
Image
That's not U2 you say? Well, that's irony for ya (neither the musical or visual types though). Kids don't actually like U2, probably Bono's fault, although there are fans who think that U2 could be as big with the little ones as Bon Jovi!
http://forum.atu2.com/index.php?topic=20944.0

Catwalk Soundtrack - I didn't bother to check this out. I have a hard time believing that the Fashion World has not embraced U2 at one time or another. Didn't someone post a link that had them performing on a runway?

Tweezing - Technically, this is part of their Visual Irony, which is rumored to be MASSIVE. DB is the only expert I know of on this topic, so I'll leave that to him to explain.


Let's recap:

Several people claimed U2 were strictly a pop band. I then chimed in and EXPLICITLY showed them why they were INCORRECT. But then those same people tried to change the criteria once they realized they were WRONG, and started to make the debate about musical taste instead, which was NEVER part of my point. By this point in time, most of them still hadn't heard the aforementioned albums in question (and probably STILL haven't). So their opinions about U2's music, stylistically speaking, meant JACK-SHIT-ALL. Yet they STILL asserted they actually knew what they were talking about, despite the FACT they didn't (and probably STILL don't). And now, since they finally seem to realize how much egg is on their faces, they start indulging in ultra-long rants about other things and claim that I, "...can't take time to discuss the basics when I know so much about the band and its details", despite the FACT I already have.

Yep, it's just another day on the self-delusional Z forum, where the sore losers gather, almost no one admits they're wrong and debating skills are optional...

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
brainpang wrote:
Is it time to move on and discuss what a piece-of-shit band RUSH is?

I think you are right. However, I have to admit to seeing Rush this summer. I was disappointed. It was at Milwaukee's Summerfest, so I figured that they would want to please a huge outdoor crowd that was there not simply to see them, but for a summer festival on the 4th of July. Maybe we'd hear Lakeside Park? We heard the following:

1. Subdivisions
2. The Big Money
3. Force Ten
4. Grand Designs
5. The Body Electric
6. Territories
7. The Analog Kid
8. Bravado
9. Where's My Thing? (including drum solo)
10.Far Cry
Set 2: (with Clockwork Angels String Ensemble)
11.Caravan
12.Clockwork Angels
13.The Anarchist
14.Carnies
15.The Wreckers
16.Headlong Flight (including drum solo)
17.Halo Effect (guitar solo intro)
18.Seven Cities of Gold
19.The Garden
20.Manhattan Project
21.Drum Solo (The Percussor)
22.Red Sector A
23.YYZ
24.The Spirit of Radio
Encore:
25.Tom Sawyer
26.2112 Part I: Overture
27.2112 Part II: The Temples of Syrinx
28.2112 Part VII: Grand Finale

So, it started off with a middling song, Subdivisions. I say middling in that it was from the album that I saw the tour for when I was a huge Rush fan way back when. Even back then, I wanted to hear all the stuff before Signals. I've tried over the years to get into anything after Signals with only the slightest of successes and tons of disappointing dreck.
The Big Money is Big Annoyance. Geddy voice is built to make this song suck. I actually like GL's voice on the first several albums, but hearing him these days just makes me wish for instrumentals. So, then a few more middling pieces then nearly the whole damn new album, Clockwork Whogivesafuck. Fuck that was boring. And those string players in the background? Could they possibly bow their instruments with any more vigor while jerking their whole bodies as if to say "I dare say! I now rock, am I correct? I have long hair and am with Rush, so this must be a good rocking time for all!" Ugh. Pretend rocking sucks hard.
I was glad that they played some favs near the end, but I was kinda burnt out by then. After a day in the sun and a whole bunch of boring, it was hard to get back going again. Did they really have to play all that Clockwork shit in a row? Couldn't they try to keep a huge crowd awake? I don't mean the hardcore in the pavilion, I mean all the other bored people filling the lawn where I was. Seriously, that was one fucking bored crowd for the majority of the time.
A bit of contrast... I liked them on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. My wife is a huge Foo Fighters fan, so it was fun for the 2 of us to watch as FFs introduced Rush, then Lifeson with his "Blah blah blah" speech. Best one they ever had. For those who hadn't seen it, AL does an entire speech, maybe 3-5 minutes, saying nothing but "Blah Blah Blah" while pantomiming the content. Funny imo, though I'm sure most people just thought WTF.
I've heard recent interviews with them on their writing process, which is basically composition by committee and seems guaranteed to make boring shit like this last album. I like that they try to move forward, not everyone does. But, the results suck. I felt ripped off. I don't think I'll ever see them live again. That kinda sucks too.


There's this thing called the internet. And you can use it to search for plenty of things...like setlists, especially ones that help you discover what an artist(s) is playing before you decide to spend money on a ticket to see an artist(s) you don't like any more. It helps. You may want to look into it...

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3606
Location: Vancouver, BC
Image

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3565
Disco Boy wrote:
Let's recap:
Several people claimed U2 were strictly a pop band. I then chimed in and EXPLICITLY showed them why they were INCORRECT. But then those same people tried to change the criteria once they realized they were WRONG,


Nope. You said: they didn't do pop until....
and then later revised your argument, adding people claimed STRICTLY.
Translation: you are full of it.

Thank for the Rush Ramble, Arkay. Of the minutes worth I have heard I know enough to steer clear.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3212
Location: Between the Badges
Disco Boy wrote:
Let's recap:

Several people claimed U2 were strictly a pop band. I then chimed in and EXPLICITLY showed them why they were INCORRECT. But then those same people tried to change the criteria once they realized they were WRONG, and started to make the debate about musical taste instead, which was NEVER part of my point. By this point in time, most of them still hadn't heard the aforementioned albums in question (and probably STILL haven't). So their opinions about U2's music, stylistically speaking, meant JACK-SHIT-ALL. Yet they STILL asserted they actually knew what they were talking about, despite the FACT they didn't (and probably STILL don't). And now, since they finally seem to realize how much egg is on their faces, they start indulging in ultra-long rants about other things and claim that I, "...can't take time to discuss the basics when I know so much about the band and its details", despite the FACT I already have.

Yep, it's just another day on the self-delusional Z forum, where the sore losers gather, almost no one admits they're wrong and debating skills are optional...

There's this thing called the internet. And you can use it to search for plenty of things...like setlists, especially ones that help you discover what an artist(s) is playing before you decide to spend money on a ticket to see an artist(s) you don't like any more. It helps. You may want to look into it...


Still playing around with EXPLICITLY, PROOF and FACT, huh? I'm rootin' for ya and hope some day you learn to use them properly. Good luck with that. Who knows, maybe that is more of your Visual Irony? I know, I know, you won't back up your own statements about that because I haven't listened to enough U2 for ya. Oh, well.
Now, getting setlists to find out about a show before you go to it, how does that work for ya? No surprises for you! Do you also watch current tours on youtube before you decide to see the same thing live? Are you that jaded? I tend to give artists a chance to prove themselves before I criticize. There are plenty of bands with great albums that suck live and vice versa. Some bands do completely different versions of songs live, you might have even heard of some artists like this. Think hard, I'm guessing you'll think of at least one. Some bands even shake it up from night-to-night. Most bands worth going to see live prefer not to do the same damn thing over and over. Some bands play for the audience and wouldn't think of playing the same thing for a festival crowd that they would for a theater performance because festival crowds are there for the _________.
Can you fill in the blank?
I bet you said "band". I'm sure that the band appreciates that you thought that, but the real answer is "festival". See how that works? Playing a new album in completion to a festival crowd is either incompetence because they never considered the venue or vanity that they think they are such hot shit that they can play whatever for whoever. Fuck that, no one gets that much rope without hanging.
The reasons for giving a band a chance can be found on a thread that someone in this very forum came up with. Its about albums instead of tours, but despite the irony, even someone with your debating skills should be able to see the parallel. You might want to check it out:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25120

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3606
Location: Vancouver, BC
brainpang wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
Let's recap:
Several people claimed U2 were strictly a pop band. I then chimed in and EXPLICITLY showed them why they were INCORRECT. But then those same people tried to change the criteria once they realized they were WRONG,


Nope. You said: they didn't do pop until....
and then later revised your argument, adding people claimed STRICTLY.
Translation: you are full of it.


Wtf is the difference? The POINT is that U2 were NEVER strictly a pop band. Whereas, you guys thought they were. :roll:

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
Let's recap:

Several people claimed U2 were strictly a pop band. I then chimed in and EXPLICITLY showed them why they were INCORRECT. But then those same people tried to change the criteria once they realized they were WRONG, and started to make the debate about musical taste instead, which was NEVER part of my point. By this point in time, most of them still hadn't heard the aforementioned albums in question (and probably STILL haven't). So their opinions about U2's music, stylistically speaking, meant JACK-SHIT-ALL. Yet they STILL asserted they actually knew what they were talking about, despite the FACT they didn't (and probably STILL don't). And now, since they finally seem to realize how much egg is on their faces, they start indulging in ultra-long rants about other things and claim that I, "...can't take time to discuss the basics when I know so much about the band and its details", despite the FACT I already have.

Yep, it's just another day on the self-delusional Z forum, where the sore losers gather, almost no one admits they're wrong and debating skills are optional...

There's this thing called the internet. And you can use it to search for plenty of things...like setlists, especially ones that help you discover what an artist(s) is playing before you decide to spend money on a ticket to see an artist(s) you don't like any more. It helps. You may want to look into it...


Still playing around with EXPLICITLY, PROOF and FACT, huh? I'm rootin' for ya and hope some day you learn to use them properly. Good luck with that. Who knows, maybe that is more of your Visual Irony? I know, I know, you won't back up your own statements about that because I haven't listened to enough U2 for ya. Oh, well.


Ok, it's official: you're living in DENIAL. Because I ALWAYS back my shit up. If I state something and use the words EXPLICITLY, PROOF or FACT, it's because what I'm stating is just that. If what I'm saying wasn't, I wouldn't use those words. And just because I didn't post pics doesn't detract from that, especially since you haven't heard the aforementioned albums yet, have you? :roll:

But to PROVE my points even further (not that ANY is needed), here are pics of U2 in the '80s and the '90s, since you're too god damn lazy to google them yourself:

1984
Image

Image

1987
Image

1989
Image

1993
Image

Image

1997
Image

Image

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Now, getting setlists to find out about a show before you go to it, how does that work for ya? No surprises for you! Do you also watch current tours on youtube before you decide to see the same thing live? Are you that jaded? I tend to give artists a chance to prove themselves before I criticize. There are plenty of bands with great albums that suck live and vice versa. Some bands do completely different versions of songs live, you might have even heard of some artists like this. Think hard, I'm guessing you'll think of at least one. Some bands even shake it up from night-to-night. Most bands worth going to see live prefer not to do the same damn thing over and over. Some bands play for the audience and wouldn't think of playing the same thing for a festival crowd that they would for a theater performance because festival crowds are there for the _________.
Can you fill in the blank?
I bet you said "band". I'm sure that the band appreciates that you thought that, but the real answer is "festival". See how that works? Playing a new album in completion to a festival crowd is either incompetence because they never considered the venue or vanity that they think they are such hot shit that they can play whatever for whoever. Fuck that, no one gets that much rope without hanging.


You can still be surprised if you know the setlist beforehand. Musically, visually, atmospherically, etc., since Rush put on a hell of a live show. Also, the vast majority of people, if not all of them, were there to see Rush - they were HEADLINING. Their name is on the ticket. The tour is called the Clockwork Angels tour, in support of their latest album, Clockwork Angels. So why the fuck wouldn't Rush play most of this album live (and no, they didn't play it in its entirety), especially since Rush themselves and many fans agree it's one of their best albums (me included). On the CA tour, more than ANY other tour in their history, while 75% of their setlist was the same, Rush consistently changed it nightly by alternating about 10-12 songs overall. Lastly, Rush have performed several re-arranged versions of their songs live over the years - acoustic versions even.

In short: you're extremely ignorant and CLUELESS regarding Rush.

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
The reasons for giving a band a chance can be found on a thread that someone in this very forum came up with. Its about albums instead of tours, but despite the irony, even someone with your debating skills should be able to see the parallel. You might want to check it out:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25120


Pointless post. And it does NOTHING to detract from anything I've stated.


Fucking hell, you guys are absolute gluttons for punishment...

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 13745
Location: Billy, the mountain...
Isn't one of the U2 guys who said on press that is only in it for the Money?

_________________
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true Art and Science. - Albert Einstein

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3565
DISCO BUY wrote (with eye roll, of course): Wtf is the difference? The POINT is that U2 were NEVER strictly a pop band. Whereas, you guys thought they were.



LIAR. STRICTLY is your invention. You came up with that when Bono peed in your face talking about "pop sensibility." Nice pictures. Further proof what a dishonest lot they are. No wonder you worship at their juvenile altar.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3212
Location: Between the Badges
Thanks DB! I'm glad you finally defended your heroes. Your FACTS gave PROOF that their MASSIVE Irony EXPLICITLY showed that they went from Street Clothes to Halloween Costumes.

And since you want to talk about that overdone, should retire now, band Rush some more... you say that Rush Fans like their recent album? Oh, please continue, that is fascinating! Rush Fans are notorious for lapping up whatever gets put in front of them. You'd think that a band which is known for trying to push boundaries would have fans that would actually care to notice if any boundaries worth breaking had been broken in the last 30 years or so. I also like how you pointed out that they named their tour after the album. Do you think other bands will catch on to that? Keep us updated.
Like most Rush fans, you just give them carte blanche. Fart in stereo and you call it brilliant. I still give them credit for trying to create new stuff, but it was obvious from that show, anything that wasn't Signals or earlier was largely yawned at by those outside of the pavilion. Only the Rush Zombies gave a crap about the rest.

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 13745
Location: Billy, the mountain...
Although I don't enjoy U2, I heavily enjoy the last Rush album, coincidentally I just finished going through the whole double LP. Examples of good songs for me are Caravan, The Anarchist, Headlong Flight, The Garden and others... It is no Hemispheres, Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures, but it is on par with Signals and better than many of the later output.

BTW:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

_________________
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true Art and Science. - Albert Einstein

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3212
Location: Between the Badges
I know you like Clockwork Angels GG. I have no problem with that at all. I think the two of us were talking about that album when it came out. I had great hopes for it. Different strokes, you liked it, I didn't. I'm sure you understand that someone can have complex views on these things.

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 13745
Location: Billy, the mountain...
Of course, friend, it is no rocket or exact science... :)

_________________
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true Art and Science. - Albert Einstein

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3606
Location: Vancouver, BC
brainpang wrote:
DISCO BUY wrote (with eye roll, of course): Wtf is the difference? The POINT is that U2 were NEVER strictly a pop band. Whereas, you guys thought they were.



LIAR. STRICTLY is your invention. You came up with that when Bono peed in your face talking about "pop sensibility." Nice pictures. Further proof what a dishonest lot they are. No wonder you worship at their juvenile altar.


ONE. MORE. TIME. FOR. THE. WORLD.:

Wtf is the difference? The POINT is that U2 were NEVER strictly a pop band. Whereas, you guys thought they were.

Get it?

The debate is OVER.

And btw, you can go FUCK YOURSELF for calling me a liar, for which I'm not.

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Thanks DB! I'm glad you finally defended your heroes. Your FACTS gave PROOF that their MASSIVE Irony EXPLICITLY showed that they went from Street Clothes to Halloween Costumes.


No, they're not my heroes. And the FACTS I've presented PROVE U2's visual irony in the '80s & '90s I was talking about earlier in this thread.

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
And since you want to talk about that overdone, should retire now, band Rush some more... you say that Rush Fans like their recent album? Oh, please continue, that is fascinating! Rush Fans are notorious for lapping up whatever gets put in front of them. You'd think that a band which is known for trying to push boundaries would have fans that would actually care to notice if any boundaries worth breaking had been broken in the last 30 years or so.


Not only as individual musicians but considering each studio album since Fly By Night, Rush have consistently progressed and pushed boundaries musically. NO ONE sounds like they do. Their originality has remained intact since Neil Peart joined. This is obvious, at the very least, to fans who actually know their music. Clockwork Angels has officially outsold their previous two studio albums (Vapor Trails & Snakes & Arrows) in Canada and is close to doing so in the US. Each and every Rush tour out-grosses the previous one (unless there are far less shows played). And once the final stats are released, the CA tour will have grossed over $750,000 per night, quite possibly making it Rush's highest grossing tour EVER or very close to. So, yes, many Rush fans LOVE Clockwork Angels. Personally, I'd rank it in my top 5 favourites.

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I also like how you pointed out that they named their tour after the album. Do you think other bands will catch on to that? Keep us updated.


The reason why I did that was because you thought or were fully expecting them to only or mostly play their pre-'84 material & radio staples when you saw them live this year. But they didn't. And I'm thankful for that. And that's one of the reasons why they're still relevant. Rush don't strictly rely on their past achievements.

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Like most Rush fans, you just give them carte blanche. Fart in stereo and you call it brilliant. I still give them credit for trying to create new stuff, but it was obvious from that show, anything that wasn't Signals or earlier was largely yawned at by those outside of the pavilion. Only the Rush Zombies gave a crap about the rest.


The fuck? Rush fans are the complete opposite of giving Rush carte blanche, nor are they "lapping up whatever gets put in front of them" - the mid-late '80s keyboard era proves that. Rush can certainly decide for themselves what they like and don't like. Also, the Marcus Amphitheater holds up to 25,000 people. The pavilion holds about half that - which is what Rush usually fills there. So almost anyone attending who sat on the lawn were casual Rush fans at best, hence the cheap lawn price. So of course some of those fans wouldn't be as interested in their newer material. But regardless, you wouldn't know for sure unless you asked them.

Maybe one day you'll actually know what you're talking about when in comes to Rush and U2. But until then, you're still almost entirely CLUELESS... :roll:

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
More people comment on the one Rush T-shirt I wear once in a great while, than all the Zappa T's I wear everyday. They must be a "safe " group for humans to communicate with each other about.

On Topic: *Lost In Space* is on the tube in the background.

Gotta go the robot just said, "Danger Will Robinson!" and I bet Dr. Smith did something devious again! :twisted:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 2205
If you like Rush go see them any chance you can. They are great.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
KUIII wrote:
If you like Rush go see them any chance you can. They are great.

It's the Moving Pictures '80 Tour shirt you gave me everyone likes. You might want it back. I've worn it twice, both times to the grocery store and women seem to feel free to say they like Rush and...nevermind, I'm keepin' it. Thanks bro'! :twisted:

On Topic: Rush-Moving Pictures, what else? :wink:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12461 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 438, 439, 440, 441, 442, 443, 444 ... 499  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group