Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Religious freedom...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:01 am 

You know, it was only a matter of time before someone came up with a religion that lets the old fucks marry the young nubiles.

Is freedom of religion absolute? Is the action in Texas oppression?

I thought it was hilarious that the Pope has met with the victims of priestly sexual abuse...behind closed doors! I guess they get the big one now!

The Pope is going to help these victims. He's going to pray for them. Ain't that great?!

Gosh, the mainstream media sure loves him, don't they? Not much mention that the Pope was once a Hitler Youth, and that he was instrumental in keeping the sex abuse scandle undercover. It's pathetic. Islamic mullahs never get this kind of treatment...they are totally villified...as if one stupid religion is more wrong than the other.

Ever read Voltaire?

The Chinese seem to see religion as a scam. That's how I see it, and I wish they would all just go away, but I will never be free of them, and they will never be free of me. Too bad they hold almost every important office in the free world. A couple of hundred years ago, I would have been executed as a heretic. Nowdays, though, it seems that they have a plan to euthanize us all...Armageddon, here we come!

Is it right to just let people believe any crazy thing they want, and to put it into practice, and to let them off without paying taxes? Well, I guess that's freedom, but goddam, if they can do that, why can't I grow some pot? That's my religion....!

Shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:26 am 

I agree with the last paragraph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:00 pm 

Instead of freedom of religion, how about freedom from religion? I propose that a system be slowly implemented whereby religion is removed from governments worldwide, thusly removing any immediate danger of countries becoming subject to fascist theocracies, which is not to say that some countries aren't that way already.

Stream my music here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:06 pm 

I kinda agree but you have to remember our country was started by a bunch of religious fanatics, with guns, and they didn't like tax's

Post subject: Freedom from religion...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:42 pm 

www.ffrf.org

"They don't understand freedom..." - Ron Paul

The Pope has said that moral relativism is a disease. What that means is that individuals cannot decide what is moral, only "God's representatives" can do that. Apparently, God's representatives also decide who God's representatives are.

In my view, morality amounts to common sense. It's innate. We don't steal or kill because we don't want the same to happen to us. We don't take young girls as wives because it's unhealthy. Shit, the whole reason for high school is to keep old richfucks from buying our daughters away from us.

The problem with religion is that it is used to justify immoral behavior. Why is it that we did not turn the other cheek after 9/11? Christians are in control, right? What's with the revenge? Why don't we love our enemies? Well, because religion is really bullshit...preachers could have thousands in the street right now protesting the war, but no...they are content to sit back and let it happen. Why? Partly because they are afraid of losing their tax-free status, and partly because we are taking out the competition. If it was white Christians we were bombing and occupying, they might be a little more upset.

The thing is, the human race cannot advance until it releases itself from the bonds of indoctrination and superstition. Yet, such ideas are not widely promoted in the major media...in fact, criticism of religion and the religious is mostly suppressed, and the critics are usually villified. The powers that be wish us to be oppressed by errant belief systems...it just makes their goals easier to achieve. The last thing they want is a world full of critical thinkers.

In my view, it will take a failed apocalypse to convince the fervently indoctrinated that faith in unprovable scenarios is folly. This will probably happen, sure as GWB is "God's servant".

As for the USA being founded by religious fanatics with guns...eh, maybe. It wasn't exactly founded by leaders of the churches, though, and they were awful racists, too. But, that's just how it was that many years ago...supposedly, we've come a long way since then...

"I don't have a problem with God...it's his fan club that scares me!" - Micheal Rivero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:30 pm 

Not really, they weren't religious leaders they wanted to practice their religion with out the crown interfering, they were in modern terms religious fanatics ,common place for them. They were all Masons look at your money. Also great masons in the literal sense, built great stuff. I wish most people were like you, had common sense, unfortunately ,from medieval days on , people need a guide, the good far out weighs the bad.... so far...........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:35 pm 
Banned

I don't believe in religion. I believe in God.

He doesn't ask me for MONEY!!!!!!!

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:41 pm 

Crudblud wrote:
Instead of freedom of religion, how about freedom from religion? I propose that a system be slowly implemented whereby religion is removed from governments worldwide, thusly removing any immediate danger of countries becoming subject to fascist theocracies, which is not to say that some countries aren't that way already.

At the same time I propose a system be slowly implemented whereby government (read institution) is removed from religions worldwide...

I like Help I'm A Rock's post very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:27 pm 

Anyone here read "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins? A truly great read, highly recommend it. :lol:

'A spirited and exhilarating read...Dawkins comes roaring forth in
the full vigour of his powerful arguments...'

Post subject: The God Delusion
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:41 pm 

I haven't read the book, but I've seen the documentary...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5310561251

Well worth the time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:59 am 

I missed the docu when it was on, thanks Shark. I'd forgotten all about that. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:40 am 
Banned

Short excerpt from "When The Lie's So Big" written by Frank Zappa.

Criminal saints
With a "Heavenly Mission" --
A nation enraptured
By pure superstition

Do you believe in the Invisible Army?

Post subject: Rearing children
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:18 am 

Frank was good at seeing through religious bullshit and calling it what it is: Dangerous.

One of the things in the Dawkins film was the question of religious indoctrination. It is my view that religion doesn't work unless you have millions of people raised up in the religious doctrines...that is, kids must be brainwashed. Dawkins seems to think it is immoral, and a dirty trick.

I've said for years that we need to stop lying to our children. Fantasy and imagination are fine, but to insist that the impossible is true is realy cruel. I really believe that growing up and finding out that Santa Claus isn't real and that other legitimate religions exist and that pot doesn't make you stupid leads to what is commonly known as "teenage rebellion". They resent having been lied to, or misled, or insufficiently educated.

But, you have a "right" to raise your kids any way you want. I guess maybe a religious upbringing keeps 'em off drugs, but they might also march off to war for "God and country", and die young. If we raised critical thinkers, war might be over, eventually.

If there are no atheists in foxholes, it's probably because they can see a scam far enough ahead of time to avoid getting caught up in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:48 am 

May be people in genaral should keep their options open......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:25 pm 

It may be cliche, but religion is the opiate of the masses. It's self-medication on a mass scale. God help us if we ever don't have it. There'd be an awful lot of unstable people with no boundaries or parameters running around. :shock:

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:24 pm 

Wow, who knew that there would be a bunch of atheists on a Frank Zappa forum?!?!!? :shock:

Maybe you just need this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bp-Ocee9Gdk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:47 pm 
Banned

Here's a line I always use on people who knock on my door......

"The God I believe in, doesn't go around selling door to door".

Now GET OUT!

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:01 pm 

Welcome back Shark Barker!
Personally I think Dawkins is a twit though I know somebody had to make a big media splash assault to begin the check against the steadily advancing shadow of Superstition. Wished his attack was more methodical, less emotional polemic. More than a stylistic critique, such an attack doesn't change minds among the fundies, it pisses them off. And when they're pissed off, they're more than likely to shoot you or throw you in jail than listen to what you've got to say.
We need more people listening and fewer people yelling if we are going to get this bogus religion v science conflict subsumed back into the Snopes trial mythology . . .

<carry on>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:18 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Wow, who knew that there would be a bunch of atheists on a Frank Zappa forum?!?!!? :shock:

Nice one Cal! :lol: Think I'll go back to church this weekend. :wink:

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:56 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Nice one Cal! :lol: Think I'll go back to church this weekend. :wink:

Oh hell. I'm not exactly religious either. It's just that good gospel gets the toes to tappin'!

Post subject: Re: Religious freedom...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:32 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:44 pm 

Man that Shark_Barker was a miserable prick, wasn't he?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:47 pm 

I hear he's now led by a leash made of rope. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:19 pm 

So long as he's under control I suppose it will be alright.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:05 am