Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:51 am 

This just in:

Dear SavetheInternet.com blogger,
Net neutrality supporters are gearing up against a Senate vote on Sen. Ted "The Internet is a Series of Tubes" Stevens' http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/ZDM/story?id=2159974 telecommunications bill (S 2686). This bad bill fails to protect Net Neutrality. To preserve Internet freedom, we need to be sure that this bill gets overhauled or stopped in its tracks.

Today, we launched a Senate map http://www.savetheinternet.com/=senatemap that makes it ridiculously easy to a) figure out where your Senators stand, and b) urge them to take a public stance in support of Internet freedom. The goal is to get as many senators on the record as possible before any vote on the Senate floor. You (and your readers) can help the cause by checking out the map and flooding the Senate with calls.

July is a pivotal month. The Senate leadership won't schedule a vote on Stevens' bad bill unless 60 senators say they'll vote for it. Now's the time to call senators and tell them to support Net Neutrality instead -- and to oppose last-ditch industry efforts to push through a bill that more and more Americans are turning against.

We're not the only ones who've been busy; there's lots of creative work being produced in support of Net Neutrality. Check out this techno remix of Sen. Stevens' recent speech, a slew of new clips on the SavetheInternet.com videos page http://www.savetheinternet.com/=videos and other artistic output at the SavetheInternet.com blog http://www.savetheinternet.com/blog/200 ... spiration/.

We need more creativity like this to call attention to what the telcos are trying to get away with -- but eventually it all boils down to what the Senate does. So don't forget to check out the map, call your Senators, and encourage your friends/readers to do the same.

With your help, we can match the millions of dollars spent by AT&T, Verizon and BellSouth with millions of citizens speaking up for Internet freedom.

Tim Karr
SavetheInternet.com

If you haven't heard Sen Stevens breathless stuttering tirade about the internet tubes, it's a real treat. The man has the tech savvy of a neutered hamster. His take on things is thst there's too much stuff from people doing commerce on the Internet, downloading movies and music, banking, and such, so that it's slowing down other internet activity. Supposedly it took 3 days for an email from his staff to reach him because the "tubes" are full. Giving everything to the media companies will fix everything. If the consequences of his success in this it weren't so scary, it would be funny in a sad, pathetic kind of way. The success of the internet has been its open-ended, everybody is equal approach. How changing this to a higer fee two tiered level controlled by the media and telecom giants is beyond me. Especially in light of them showing their willingness to spy on us for the government, even without being ordered to do so. This is nothing less than a show down between the People and Coprporate sponsored Government. We already resemble the former Soviet Union too much. We don't need a page out of Communist China's book. Please help.

Last edited by jimmyzen on Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:10 pm 

OK, I called my two assholes :)

Nice to see ya 'round jimmyzen :)

PS. Oh yeah, the lesson on the tubes, that was pretty funny :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:08 am 

baddy wrote:
OK, I called my two assholes :)

Nice to see ya 'round jimmyzen :)

PS. Oh yeah, the lesson on the tubes, that was pretty funny :)

Hi Baddy! for some reason all the embedded links didn't transfer when i did the cut and paste. it used to transfer OK. things are pretty hectic right now so i didn't have the time to manually do each one. i've been going to school a couple nights a week and working a mix of days and nights to accomodate it. i'm so ragged out i don't know if i'm coming or going..... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:03 am 

jimmyzen wrote:
i've been going to school a couple nights a week

What are you going to school for? IT by any chance?

jimmyzen wrote:
and working a mix of days and nights to accomodate it. i'm so ragged out i don't know if i'm coming or going..... :P

Know the feelin', I just got done with a honkin' exam, ( http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-296.asp ). Now I jumped into getting some political action off the ground. I got something pretty neat goin' on to help oust Lieberman(:

Internet tubes:
http://www.lumine.net/2006/07/06/senato ... rnet-tubes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:50 pm 

baddy wrote:
jimmyzen wrote:
i've been going to school a couple nights a week

What are you going to school for? IT by any chance?

jimmyzen wrote:
and working a mix of days and nights to accomodate it. i'm so ragged out i don't know if i'm coming or going..... :P

Know the feelin', I just got done with a honkin' exam, ( http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-296.asp ). Now I jumped into getting some political action off the ground. I got something pretty neat goin' on to help oust Lieberman(:

Internet tubes:
http://www.lumine.net/2006/07/06/senato ... rnet-tubes

thought about IT as i've been told that i'm eccentrically perfect for such a position. 8) BUT, too much IT is outsourced except for local in-house IT tech positions which are hard to come by and don't pay as well as they once did. i'm just taking some less than glamorous technical classes at a state college trying to round out the resume. :P i'm 7 credits shy of completing my BSBA - i need damned fine arts and religion or philosophy credits. i'm hoping to get into a school for TIG welding this fall so if i ever give the custom motorcycle business another shot i can take it a step further. i still have my 2 yr degree degree in electronics technology and more technical certificates for this and that than i can remember. one of the down falls of being me is that i am as uncomfortable being clean cut and costumed in a suit/tie as if i was buck-ass naked before the world. i know on an intellectual level that garb is really meaningless and i'm still me etc, etc, but i've just never been able to overcome it and the limitations it presents. :roll:

Honda Motor Company is building a brand new, state of the art, world class assembly plant about 25 miles closer to me than my present job. it's expected to employ 2500 to 3500 people and i'm hoping to get in on the ground floor as a maintenance supervisor (preferred :D ) or a maintenance technician (still quite acceptable :o ). they will be making cars by fall of 2008 with production to reach up to 200,000 cars a year.
hiring to begin in 2007. the place i currently work has about 18 months left before it's done with. :cry: at least, our contact expires then. we no longer make anything our parent company wants in its core product group so we have no new business coming in. 80% of our jobs were taken away in a contract between the UAW and my company, Visteon LLC some years back. our puny non-UAW union just flat got rolled over on by the bigger boys. :evil: my first, only, and hopefully last union experience. kinda hard to swallow that my abilities count for less than the time i was employed there in terms of keeping my job. i do have enough seniority to hold on for a while, but things look really grim so if an opportunity presents itself, i will go. i have worked there near 20 years so i'm not too happy about leaving. the jobs are going to Michigan where they will reside briefly before going to Mexico and China. oddly enough i've had fewer than 10 jobs since i was a teenager and since leaving the military in 1973 i have only had 4 jobs. sorta like my wife and i have been together 30 years this month. doesn't seem like you hear those kind of numbers much these days. :roll:

good deal on ousting lieberman!! :D heard about his running as an independent if the dems don't want him. it's the people that don't want him! he and zell miller should go live together on a deserted island somewhere, preferably on a Naval gunnery range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:06 am 

jimmyzen wrote:
thought about IT as i've been told that i'm eccentrically perfect for such a position. 8) BUT, too much IT is outsourced except for local in-house IT tech positions which are hard to come by and don't pay as well as they once did. i'm just taking some less than glamorous technical classes at a state college trying to round out the resume. :P i'm 7 credits shy of completing my BSBA - i need damned fine arts and religion or philosophy credits. i'm hoping to get into a school for TIG welding this fall so if i ever give the custom motorcycle business another shot i can take it a step further. i still have my 2 yr degree degree in electronics technology and more technical certificates for this and that than i can remember. one of the down falls of being me is that i am as uncomfortable being clean cut and costumed in a suit/tie as if i was buck-ass naked before the world. i know on an intellectual level that garb is really meaningless and i'm still me etc, etc, but i've just never been able to overcome it and the limitations it presents. :roll:

Honda Motor Company is building a brand new, state of the art, world class assembly plant about 25 miles closer to me than my present job. it's expected to employ 2500 to 3500 people and i'm hoping to get in on the ground floor as a maintenance supervisor (preferred :D ) or a maintenance technician (still quite acceptable :o ). they will be making cars by fall of 2008 with production to reach up to 200,000 cars a year.
hiring to begin in 2007. the place i currently work has about 18 months left before it's done with. :cry: at least, our contact expires then. we no longer make anything our parent company wants in its core product group so we have no new business coming in. 80% of our jobs were taken away in a contract between the UAW and my company, Visteon LLC some years back. our puny non-UAW union just flat got rolled over on by the bigger boys. :evil: my first, only, and hopefully last union experience. kinda hard to swallow that my abilities count for less than the time i was employed there in terms of keeping my job. i do have enough seniority to hold on for a while, but things look really grim so if an opportunity presents itself, i will go. i have worked there near 20 years so i'm not too happy about leaving. the jobs are going to Michigan where they will reside briefly before going to Mexico and China. oddly enough i've had fewer than 10 jobs since i was a teenager and since leaving the military in 1973 i have only had 4 jobs. sorta like my wife and i have been together 30 years this month. doesn't seem like you hear those kind of numbers much these days. :roll:

good deal on ousting lieberman!! :D heard about his running as an independent if the dems don't want him. it's the people that don't want him! he and zell miller should go live together on a deserted island somewhere, preferably on a Naval gunnery range.

All right...7 credits to go, you're almost there...you can hang with a bout of philosophy or two...they make you do that stuff as a test of character to see if you can hang, not a test of brain power. Lol, my younger daughter just got 3 1/2 credits for "the History of Rock and Roll," isn't she resourceful (: I, like you, went with electronics first, and still work in it, (lol, started in the vacuum tube days, remember worring about grid to plate capacitance?). I married 2 hobbies of photography and electronics years ago, and am an now a temporary engineer for Kodak. I say temporary because we closed down our R&D in the states a few years back, and the rest of us are riding the horse 'till it drops. I'll likely get my 20 years in, but it looks like I'll be headed for a career in domestic services next, lol, I want to specialize in bagle making, I think I can get in on the ground floor.

Know what you mean on the IT outsourcing. It's wierd at my job now, we used to be really jumping, busy as hell... but in outsourcing harvest mode, we're just covering contracts as they run out, nothing new comin' down the pike. This means sometimes I go a week, two, or three with nothing to do, I don't even leave the house, (lucily, I'm on salray so I get paid the same if I do anything or not). Some would say it's a good job, but the trade off is my entire career at this place is likely over, I'd rather be busy as hell with a career ahead of me (like the old days), than not busy like now, while knowing my career is gone. I got almost 20 years in so it's not too bad as some of the situations I see our younger employee's in, (boy, the youth of this nation are already fucked from all sides, at least we had it good the first half of our lives, they only advantage they got is they don't need a college degree to know how to make beds ar Ramada Inn or mix Margarita's at Chi-Chi's).

When the handwriting went up on the wall here, IT was jumping. NT4 networks needed a lot of tending to, and there weren't enough system engineers/admins...Windows 2000 changed all that, it's sooooo automatic...now we have extra admins and engineers left over from NT4...plus, as you say...outsourcing again (thank you corporate Democrats), the computers don't give a damn what country they're in, so the IT industry is taylor made for outsourcing. I still persue an education in it though, I think if my next job is technical, knowing networking will be a nice side benefit that helps me get the job, (plus I like fucking w/networking). I started in NT4 when there was high demand, now, since I'm invested, I keep going, (besides, I think I can master bed-making in a day or two, lol).

It' ain't over 'till it's over, it's a pendilum that swings both ways, now it's swung way corporate. But as it swings this way, it pisses more and more regular folk off...but as Noam Chomsky says, "it's critical that an aroused public does not come to understand the workings of the state-corporate system." To me I wonder where Joe Average's break point is, how poor will he get before he gives up on being able to avoiding learning really what's going on in DC, (beyond what the commercial, and his neighbors who only watch commercial media, tell him to think anyways). We'll get our future back when Joe Average get's off his dead ass and looks beyond the propaganda, you can't eat propaganda for supper, it just tastes liike hot air.

Luckily, we live in a free society where the information is available, unluckily, if you wanna know, you STILL must launch a personal investigation because the info is just under the surface, it aint on the commercial media.

Hey Jimmy, I just had an idea, checkum PM's in a few minutes....

OH yeah, congrat's on the upcoming 30 years too, I love to see it when a plan comes together :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:06 am 

Jimmy, I just got that can't connect to mail server error when I sent you a PM...if you DON'T have a new PM from me, please post here and I'll resend it.

"Could not connect to smtp host : 111 : Connection refused

DEBUG MODE

Line : 112
File : smtp.php"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:18 am 

jimmyzen wrote:

Yeah, it's pretty cool on the Lieberman deal. My house has been a print factory for the last day and a half. I got a stack of 1100 letters to the editor that will be mailed by a database of people to the three major Connecticut newspapers which in turn will reach hundreds of thousands for sure, maybe millions (I'll tally it up when I get done). Not a bad amount of havoc for one guy to initiate, who says one guy can't do anything...(lol, only lazy people can't do anything). The database of names who will mail the letter is a great database. I got the addresses at an anti war protest where they signed an anti-war petition to Lieberman, so it's all people who care enough to go out and do something concrete against the war, (not a lame database of plastic people who feign caring, but never actually DO anything).

The Democratic primary's are close, and I think the Lieberman/Lamont race will end up with a few thousand votes deciding. So a week before the elections, Lieberman is going to get some really bad press, we got the bastard cold, hard evidence of him voting for war AGAINST the majority of his constituents, anda letter from him explaining why he will not represent the majority of his people.

BTW, here's the letter to the editor, (the web site referenced is just getting started, it may or may not turn into something good)...
Dear Editor,"

It seems the needs of the people are deeply offensive to politicians who need our votes. We need our rights protected, increases in education, social security, and health care, and cut's to our obscenely bloated military budget, but we get huge increases to our military budget, paid for by cut's in health care, social security, education, and we get cuts in our rights, (the PATRIOT Act). This is not what our founding father's had in mind.

More than a year ago, four hundred of us voters petitioned Senator Lieberman reminding him that a solid majority of his constituents demanded the US end the military/corporate occupation of Iraq. What we got back was Joe's justification for going against the majority of his constituents, and keeping the pedal to the metal in Iraq until the newly installed government could "protect itself," (the petition and the Senator's answer can be viewed at http://znakomi.com/connecticutleverage).

Senator Lieberman is very close to losing the Democratic nomination at the polls on August 8th, but if he's successful and get's into the Senate again, it could not be more clear that he will not represent us. We can no longer afford to advance evil at a "lesser" rate, it's time to show our Senators that if they vote against the people's will, they are out of a job.

We should also mention that we are not for abandoning the Iraqi people. After 15 years of US/UK led sanctions and war, we owe them so much. We are for ground up (not top down), developed government, formed by Iraqi's under the guidance of the UN, and heavy on assistance from the surrounding Muslem nations. We are for backing UN peacekeeping and financial aid, because these are the right things to do.

Please talk about this letter you saw in the paper with your friends. Sincerely, the undersigned Connecticut neighbors

At the bottom of the letter is a blank for the mailers to add their own "one liner" I'm hoping that the mailing will become a "story in itself" for the newspapers, and the papers print an extra article with the "best of the one liners," with everybody's names. That'si n the mailing too, but not shown in the text above.

It'll be interesting to see what becomes of this...nothing ventured, nothing gained :)

Hundreds of thousands will read it, and we only need to swing the primarys a few thousand votes more I think....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:04 am 

Hey Baddy! Great letter! Poll after poll I'm hearing tell that things are going to be shaken up this November. don't know if it's going to be better or not afterwards, but it certainly can't be worse.

Interesting point you made about our generation having had at least half our lives with the "American Dream" still a possibility. I often felt that way about much of my life in terms of my age vs. the year. It was always like staying a few jumps ahead of a rolling forest fire that was burning up everything behind me but hadn't quite singed my ass yet. Now, 3/4 of the way to the end of me as a life form I feel the heat. I feel cheated because in the end I played the game the way we were told to play it- work hard, get educated, work harder, stay on top of your game, blah blah blah. I also feel really bad for the younger people today. Not only does it seem that they will face greater economic social stratification than any time in our history, they will not have the tools to do anything about it. Revolution? No way. The Patriot Act is just an interpretation away from making political dissent treason and a reason to be disappeared in the middle of the night. Political change? You can't fix what's broken if you don't know how it's supposed to work to begin with. I tend to believe many of the young 'uns are not prepared to be much more than consumers and that any personal integrity will be determined solely by owning the latest gadgets and wearing the correct designer labeled costume. I know there are still some out there who are not like that and carry whatever hope that there can be a real future with them. But, without knowing how this country is supposed to work and without any sense of history, US and world, they have no sense of perspective to know what direction needs to be taken. All they know is NOW. (Oddly enough, part of my Zen practice is to try to live in the NOW.)

I'm glad there are still enough of us Old Tigers to carry on the fight until reinforcements arrive... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:07 am 

baddy wrote:
Jimmy, I just got that can't connect to mail server error when I sent you a PM...if you DON'T have a new PM from me, please post here and I'll resend it.

"Could not connect to smtp host : 111 : Connection refused

DEBUG MODE

Line : 112
File : smtp.php"

must be on the forum's end or something. my email is zenbiker@comcast.net

i'm not sure about my IM as i seldom use it. it's jhand47201@hotmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:36 pm 

What I'm confused about is that this battle seems to be taking place via the US parliament. So where does the assumption come from that the US goverment can legislate something that is global. The interent doesn't belong to the US.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:54 pm 

polydigm wrote:
What I'm confused about is that this battle seems to be taking place via the US parliament. So where does the assumption come from that the US goverment can legislate something that is global. The interent doesn't belong to the US.

Correct, sir. But, everything coming and going to the US will be (potentially) totally controlled and monitored. The Chinese weren't the only ones who learned the power of the Internet during the Tiananmen Square incident. The government trades control for the tacit promise the multi medias track us and limit what we can access. just like out telephone records. Just like our banking transactions. (All transactions involving amount of $5,000.00 and over are now forwarded to the Department Homeland Security.)

I just figured that those this situation applied to would sort it out and everybody else could watch with bemusement as a modern society dies from the twin cancers of ignorance and apathy.

Are you doing OK?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:38 pm 

jimmyzen wrote:
... everything coming and going to the US will be (potentially) totally controlled and monitored ...

I can see how the powers that be would not be happy with an arena as pervasive as the internet being out of their control.

jimmyzen wrote:
... the twin cancers of ignorance and apathy ...

Sigh.

jimmyzen wrote:
... Are you doing OK? ...

Physically I'm fine. I know I say "cynicism breeds it's own reward" but the situation is far more subtle than that. Just because one is not a cynic doesn't automatically make one an optimist. I'm not feeling very optimistic about anything beyond my immediate family at the moment. The world is looking very much like a hotch potch of Vonnegut visions.

Addendum: Hey Baddy, I just got that SMTP error after posting this. But when I checked the thread the post had gone through. Maybe the forum is starting to get too big or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:13 am 

polydigm wrote:

In addition to what's coming into the us, the US has a mesh of high speed backbones, (it's a mesh so we can get bombed and other lines will take over, it was part of the original design criteria):

The "raised-thick" lines in the map are the backbones. at the ends of each lines are routers that open the initial layers of each packet to see they're going, and then send them on the best path to where they're going. These routers can act to block, selectively throttle, or allow all traffic, and can be set to treat packets with different source/destinations differently, (they can be set many ways). This way, granular control is effortless accomplished.

In addition, the ISP's that take the feeds off the backbone providers have yet another layer of capibility to pass, selectively throttle or block traffic. The ISP's can't control what the backbones are doing, but they can control your access to the backbones.

Also, it's my opinion that the NSA building is largely dedicated to sniffing all the packets at all the junction points, almost as long as the Internet has been in existance, it would be foolish to build such a capability and then leave it turned off. I believe that as the internet grew, the capabilities grew with it.

Also, the US government requires that no encryption technology can be released in the US unless the "keys" are first submitted to the government. Even if the strongest encryption is used for transmissions between two entities, the government can always decrypt it. This is by law. You and I can set this encryption on our emails for example, and only three entities can read it, you, me and the government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:57 am 

jimmyzen wrote:
... the twin cancers of ignorance and apathy ...

Sigh.

jimmyzen wrote:
... Are you doing OK? ...
Physically I'm fine. I know I say "cynicism breeds it's own reward" but the situation is far more subtle than that. Just because one is not a cynic doesn't automatically make one an optimist. I'm not feeling very optimistic about anything beyond my immediate family at the moment. The world is looking very much like a hotch potch of Vonnegut visions.

Well put Jimmy, the twin cancers. I also think they are directly related because ignorance causes apathy....for example, this Chinese proverb:

"To know and not to act, is to not know."

It means that for example, if you have cancer but don't know it yet, you wouldn't go to the doctor for chemo yet because chemo is unpleasant to do. You might even blabber endlessly about being a cancer expert, but since you don't know you have cancer, you ain't at the doctor's.....but as soon as you know you have cancer, your ass is right at the doctors, and you've become very interested in chemo, willing to do the work/discomfort of it.

It's the same in our government, to quote Noam Chomsky, "it is imperative that an aroused public does not come to understand the workings of the corporate-state system." They are successfull so far, ignorance is maintaining a high level of apathy, which in turn promotes ignorance. This allows evil to advance, (althoug in the eyes of the ignorant, it may be at a "lesser" rate), it allows the rich to get richer at the expense of the poor.

The corporate-state system received 95% of the votes in the last general election while defenders of the representatives of the corporate state system quibbled about which asshole was "better," (or less evil or whatever). Ignorance can't be seen by the ignorant, but it is all to clear to thoes even only slightly better informed. It's easy to "see down," but takes work to see "up." The only way to see up is to do the work of gaining knowledge. (To quote John Kay: "All I see when I look down is somethin' jumpin' on the ground").

Also, something once seen can never be unseen.

There is a pendulum that swings both ways, now it is swung far corporate, but that will drive many into poverty which will drive them to see the error of their ways, thus giving them what they need to start the pendilum swinging back the other way.

Aristotle realized in Democracy there could be sharp divides between the rich and poor, and he knew that it could cause a lot of fighting in a country, and threaten it's democracy. For that reason he felt that there should be mechanisms that prevented deep class divisions.

James Madison, (and many other corporate elitists since), see the same situation but choose a different response. These days the elite choose to prevent internal conflict by CONTROL, (not by assuring deep class division doesn't develop which is the Aristotle method), todays rich are not like Aristotle.

Don't despair Jimmyzen, we're an incrediblly richly resourced nation. As soon as the apathetic stop voting corporate we'll be fine, but we gotta get some information into their heads to replace the garbage that came out of their TVs. There's nothing more dangerous to us than someone who thinks he knows and spreads his ignorance.

A few years back, 40% of the US population was living off of 1% of the nations wealth, now it is moving towards half the population is living off one half of one percent of the nation's wealth, (the rich have in the last twodecades become the hyper rich, ...hell, we vote for them right? Clinton and the NAFTA/WTO crowd were good, right? The TV told me that?).

The point is, look how strong this nation is, look how well half the population can live off only one half of one percent of the nation's wealth, (the top 1% richest (who finance elections), now get 38% of the country's wealth). There have been times in the past when the pendilum swung this far, and wealth was redistributed from the rich by force. As soon as the ignorant get some real knowledge (the can't eat propaganda for supper), the rich will have portions of their wealth re-distributed.

Peope can't get hungry and starve to death without being angry about it, and when they're angry, they'll be motivated to get off their asses and learn the difference between a good candidate, and a corporate candidate with a half a billion corporate dollars in TV ads.

Sorry for my typo's, I gotta run 8)

IMHO Jimmyzen, the key to this is the collective consiousness. The whole key is to wake our neighbors up as early as possible.

Vote Corporate :)

Last edited by baddy on Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:54 am 

baddy wrote:
Those of us who are awake only must wait for the ignorant to get hungry enough to wake up, and wealth will again be redistributed through progressive tax codes as has happened several times in the US's past. Peope can't get hungry and starve to death without being angry about it, and when they're angry, they'll be motivated to get off their asses and learn the difference between a good candidate, and a corporate candidate with a half a billion corporate dollars for TV ads.

IMHO Jimmyzen, the key to this is the collective consiousness. The whole key is to wake our neighbors up as early as possible.

Oh, what I'd give for just a spark of your optimistic enthusiasm, baddy, but it just ain't there and my own cynicism is fuled by what I see in real life: A population who have no objection to, and even preference for, seeing in-depth coverage of "celebrity news" presented as "news". How the fuck do you wake such a coast-to-coast pack of sheep whose whole understanding of reality is matrix-generated and so unshakable? That degree of voluntarism is something that even "voluntarism" falls far too short of describing. It would be as rewarding as trying to wake the dead to stir even the smallest ripple in it. Nobody knows, nobody wants to know, nobody sees any reason to know and the most obvious consequence of that is that nobody would take the least bit kindly at all to being vexed by anyone trying to put a lance in their unawareness. The hypnotic indoctrination has gone on far too long for any unwelcome boat rocking.
There can be campaigns to force the governing powers listen but with nothing but more effective than paper planes attacking them they'll do nothing more than laugh and continue the status quo -- which itself actually does change to become worse.

Only hoping I'm full of shit,

--Batchain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:31 am 

Batchain1001 wrote:
baddy wrote:
Those of us who are awake only must wait for the ignorant to get hungry enough to wake up, and wealth will again be redistributed through progressive tax codes as has happened several times in the US's past. Peope can't get hungry and starve to death without being angry about it, and when they're angry, they'll be motivated to get off their asses and learn the difference between a good candidate, and a corporate candidate with a half a billion corporate dollars for TV ads.

Oh, what I'd give for just a spark of your optimistic enthusiasm, baddy, but it just ain't there and my own cynicism is fuled by what I see in real life: A population who have no objection to, and even preference for, seeing in-depth coverage of "celebrity news" presented as "news". How the fuck do you wake such a coast-to-coast pack of sheep whose whole understanding of reality is matrix-generated and so unshakable? That degree of voluntarism is something that even "voluntarism" falls far too short of describing. It would be as rewarding as trying to wake the dead to stir even the smallest ripple in it. Nobody knows, nobody wants to know, nobody sees any reason to know and the most obvious consequence of that is that nobody would take the least bit kindly at all to being vexed by anyone trying to put a lance in their unawareness. The hypnotic indoctrination has gone on far too long for any unwelcome boat rocking.
There can be campaigns to force the governing powers listen but with nothing but more effective than paper planes attacking them they'll do nothing more than laugh and continue the status quo -- which itself actually does change to become worse.

--Batchain

it seems the only time things change is when enough people get kicked square in the ass that there is a seemingly spontaneous awakening. but, even then it often seems pointless. the prices fuel has risen to, for instance. everybody screams about it and it IS hurting people. Congress holds hearings, senators and congress people orate fancifully about feeling our pain. the news carries stories of the record profits the oil companies make. what actually gets done about the prices? not a damn thing. why? our leaders just vote themselves another pay raise for pretending to care, take a few bucks under the table from Big Oil and go about their business. of course, they buy fuel that isn't taxed. (just like health care- thay don't pay for it either and they get the best care available. then they offer tax free savings accounts for health care as a solution.) we are told of the prices that our European neighbors pay and have been paying for years to placate us. i recently read in Nick Mason's book on Pink Floyd that at one time the band had to live in other countries for a year to increase their capital because Great Britain taxed all income of a million dollars and up at 80%! (Would one of the UK members of this forum post if this is correct and still so?) I would assume that despite this, there are still wealthy people living in the UK. I wonder why this little fact isn't brought up when the wealthy here complain? if European gas prices are OK for us, why not European taxation rates on the wealthy? (that would be an interesting new post- what is the taxation rate on the wealthy in your country?)

it's hard to make people care about much beyond their immediate needs when it takes so much just to carve out a living and take care of one's family. i make better money than most and i do not see how a family with kids is making it, especially after a recent excursion to the grocery store.

my own situation is the norm it would seem - my job is going overseas, there is nothing in the town where it is located to take its place for the many that work there; some are third generation employees. my employer was the largest in the small town so all the local eateries that delivered lunches and dinners, all the small job shops and supply centers that provided support, the construction contracters that built onto the facility, the local trucking companies that hauled the goods, etc. will all suffer when it's gone. the retail merchants (who used to sell them brooms and mops) will suffer, too. many of the folks can get retrained under a federal program, but for what? jobs that aren't there? (in the technical class i am currently taking, 3/4 of the class lost their jobs to china and mexico over the past few years, and is receiving training under this government program.)

the Honda plant i mentioned earlier will employ between 2500 and 3500 people. my guess is they will receive over 20,000 applications for those positions as the previously described situation is everywhere. (other area employers are already complaining that Honda will drive wages up and lure away employees)

anyway, try to talk to most people about issues affecting things like the internet, campaign finance reform, corporate controlled government, and all i see are their eyes glazing over. personally, i've been doing this anti-government ranting for so long i don't know how to stop. i guess public education, before the Lord's Storm Troopers stuck their noses into things, taught me too well.

i know from experience that there are usually 20% of the people in any given organization that drive the whole thing forward. if those of us that still care can take control of that 20%... :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:31 am 

Batchain1001 wrote:

--Batchain

Hi Bat,
Well, I can understand why you feel that way, but quite frankly you're helping the elite, you're a big help to those you hate.

I'm your friend, we go places together, and you know who I am and that I wouldn't bullshit you. With that said, I'll tell you right in the eyes that we NEED your help.

The elite need to stay in power, they gotta give a lot of money to the top 2/3's of the Democratic and Republican party politicians who will represent them... These politicians then use this money to buy TV ad's to stay in power themselves...the self licking ice cream cone.

They stay in power not only because of people who fall for the TV ad's and vote for them, but they stay in power also because many people stay home and don't vote for the good politicians, (the enemy's of the elite). Many people help the elite by telling others that "it's not worth it to try, I can't do anything about it," (you only can't do anything about it if you don't do anything about it). Because other people hear and read that, your negativism spreads, helping the elite maintain the status quo, (Bat figures it's useless, so why should I try). The top 1% stay that way exactly because of uninformed and misled voters, purposeful "lesser evilism" voters, and apathy causing potential voters to stay at home and NOT vote for good politicians, (their enemys). We help or we hurt, but we can't be neutral.

Chomsky's quote is worth requoting, in these days they are words to take to heart:
"it is imperative that an aroused public does not come to understand the workings of the corporate-state system."

It's imperative to the elite that we stay unaroused...which you seem to be.

So tell me, what's the cost of changing one's outlook look from negativism to activism?

In the first place, failing to oppose those who drop bombs on baby's makes one complicent. I for one don't want to be guilty of killing any babys...and once one realizes what their actions are enabling, one can no longer morally stand by and do nothing. What sort of person would not stand up for a baby being killed? That is what's at stake here...and if one jumps the fence and starts working against the elite, they know about themselves that they are standing up for their fellow humans, instead of rolling over and letting the elite bomb them. It feels a lot better internally to know you're helping humanity, instead of hurting humanity. And ultimatly, there is no difference between a President who votes for baby killing, a Senator who votes for baby killing, or a citizen who votes for baby killing.

What does it take to join the force for good? Well, you still get to grumble, piss, and moan just like on the dark side (I know, I spent a lot of time on the dark side, years), but the message is slightly different. The message is to piss and moan to show your friends what must be changed, and to inspire them to stop helping evil, and start helping good. The other component is to start voting for folks who are not on the corporate take, who are for justice to humanity, we DO have many such candidates.

I think citizenship requires at minimum that people go out and vote for good candidates, and against bad ones. Possibly in addition to that, that if they know things about asshole candidates that they become NOT be afraid to speak up when their neighbor is falling for the big money TV ad's. Don't be afraid to tell them for example that Kerry is an asshole, no matter how in vogue it is for the ignorant to be voting for his version of baby killing, (sending 2 more divisions to Iraq). Besides,many times when a neighber says something to you such as "Kerry is good," they are REALLY testing their own opinion on you, to get confirmation if it's valad or not...if you instead respond with "What' so much better about a dead Kerry baby than a dead Bush baby?"... well, the situation has changed, your neighbor got your opinion, and elite have lost another helper. Never underestimate the power of your words, whether they be positive OR negative, (fo rexample in my positive post above, you came along and countered the positive energy with the negative "it's no good to try." Other people read what you wrote, the overall effect was to work against your friend who was trying to do some good. Now I know that wasn't your intention, you were just reporting how you honestly feel...but you can see from that how everything you do matters, the one thing you can't do is stop the world and get off. Especially in politics, you can't say or do something that doesn't matter.

The best paper airplaines are the ones aimed not at the politicians, but at your friends and neighbors. We get so mad at the rich politicians in power, but in truth, WE VOTED THEM IN. Shouldn't the blame for the wars and the outsourcing be realistically blamed on our friends neighbors who repeatedly fell for the billion dollar advertizing blitzes and voted these assholes in? As tilted towards the rich as our remnants of Democracy is, it still does work...With very few exceptions we voted all the assholes in who represent money, they used their money to coax everyone into voting for them, they certainly didn't vote themselves in.

Finally Bat, how do you wake up the sleeping sheep you referred to? Well, how asleep are they? Maybe not very. Maybe most of them feel as you, "why bother to try." If that's the case, then to know what will wake them up, think about what it would take to change your own message a little bit.

In the end what will certainly wake them eventually, (if their friends still haven't been able to), is the following:

1. Outsource all their jobs, don't let them work..

2. Take away their health insurance and cut their Social Security.

3. Push them into poverty so they can't buy any FZ albums.

4. Take away their food.

5. Kill tens of thousands of baby's in their name.

6. Send thousands of them to war to kill thousands of good people overseas.

7. Give them a trillion dollar Nat'l deficit to make sure they all go deeply in debt.

8. Give them a trillion dollar war deficit to drive them deeper in debt.

9. Oppress and kill a lot of poverty stricken Muslems so they revolt and fly planes into our buildings.

10. Send the National Guard AND ALL IT'S EQUIPMENT to kill Muslems so when a hurricane hits, we can't respond.

11. Take recovery money for hurracanes from cuts in domestic spending while boosting the pentagon budget to kill more overseas in our name.

12. Provide billions in taxpayer funded aid to Israel so they can buy our planes and drop American bombs on Palestineans and folks in Lebanon.

Well, you get the idea...the list goes on...

So...we see a handful of friends on our forum, who activly post information, and who haven't "given up."

I'll ask you as a personal friend Bat, will you help us? We really do need you...and the more you help us, the more badly we need you.

And that's the truth.

Why be on the dark side and allow cynicism to sabotage the efforts of those who are trying to bring good change? Hell, there ain't a whole lot of wool over your eyes anyways Bat, you're already 7/8's of the way there :)

There's time for having fun going to ZPZ, Project Object, and Helmet concerts, and there's also time for standing up for yourself and the babys we bomb.

Will you help us Mr. Chain?
PS. Also, with a minor alteration you not only can feel better, but you're not venturing alone without help, you're joining a pretty nifty group. Below is a picture of a stack of envelopes about to go out the door. It's not paper planes to random sheep, it's a concentration of addresses of activists who live near me. They are all people who were marching in an antiwar protest in Hartford, they all believe they "can do something about it," and they're right. Each letter will cause three letters to the editor to the three major CT newspapers, getting our voice into hundreds and hundreds of thousands of homes, (at a time when an asshole elite Senator is on the verge of losing the nomination), Activists, at any leve, are a pretty nice group to join.

Also, for people who truly feel they can't do anything about the elitist control over their lives, I say you can do something about it if you just do something. I did something about it, there's a box of envelopes on my coffee table, and there's no difference between me and you. "I can't do anything," is what the rich enjoy hearing you say.

For anyone who thinks they can't do anything, if you had a clipboard and had been at the protest with me, there'd be twice as many envelopes on my coffee table.

Meanwhile, at another march, another nice group of people to join :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:25 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhBzPV9FOgA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:24 pm 

Congress Poised to Unravel the Internet

Lured by huge checks handed out by the country's top lobbyists, members of Congress could soon strike a blow against Internet freedom as they seek to resolve the hot-button controversy over preserving "network neutrality." The telecommunications reform bill now moving through Congress threatens to be a major setback for those who hope that digital media can foster a more democratic society. The bill not only precludes net neutrality safeguards but also eliminates local community oversight of digital communications provided by cable and phone giants. It sets the stage for the privatized, consolidated and unregulated communications system that is at the core of the phone and cable lobbies' political agenda.

In both the House and Senate versions of the bill, Americans are described as "consumers" and "subscribers," not citizens deserving substantial rights when it comes to the creation and distribution of digital media. A handful of companies stand to gain incredible monopoly power from such legislation, especially AT&T, Comcast, Time Warner and Verizon. They have already used their political clout in Washington to secure for the phone and cable industries a stunning 98 percent control of the US residential market for high-speed Internet.

Alaska Republican Senator Ted Stevens, the powerful Commerce Committee chair, is trying to line up votes for his "Advanced Telecommunications and Opportunities Reform Act." It was Stevens who called the Internet a "series of tubes" as he tried to explain his bill. Now the subject of well-honed satirical jabs from The Daily Show, as well as dozens of independently made videos, Stevens is hunkering down to get his bill passed by the Senate when it reconvenes in September.

But thanks to the work of groups like Save the Internet, many Senate Democrats now oppose the bill because of its failure to address net neutrality. (Disclosure: The Center for Digital Democracy, where I work, is a member of that coalition.) Oregon Democrat Senator Ron Wyden, Maine Republican Olympia Snowe and South Dakota Democrat Byron Dorgan have joined forces to protect the US Internet. Wyden has placed a "hold" on the bill, requiring Stevens (and the phone and cable lobbies) to strong-arm sixty colleagues to prevent a filibuster. But with a number of GOP senators in tight races now fearful of opposing net neutrality, the bill's chances for passage before the midterm election are slim. Stevens, however, may be able to gain enough support for passage when Congress returns for a lame-duck session.

Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Thus far, the strategy of the phone and cable lobbies has been to dismiss concerns about net neutrality as either paranoid fantasies or political discontent from progressives. "It's a made-up issue," AT&T CEO Ed Whitacre said in early August at a meeting of state regulators. New Hampshire Republican Senator John Sununu claims that net neutrality is "what the liberal left have hung their hat on," suggesting that the outcry over Internet freedom is more partisan than substantive. Other critics of net neutrality, including many front groups, have tried to frame the debate around unsubstantiated fears about users finding access to websites blocked, pointing to a 2005 FCC policy statement that "consumers are entitled to access the lawful Internet content of their choice." But the issue of blocking has been purposefully raised to shift the focus from what should be the real concerns about why the phone and cable giants are challenging federal rules requiring nondiscriminatory treatment of digital content.

Verizon, Comcast and the others are terrified of the Internet as we know it today. Net neutrality rules would jeopardize their far-reaching plans to transform our digital communications system. Both the cable and phone industries recognize that if their broadband pipes (now a monopoly) must be operated in an open and neutral fashion, they will face real competition--and drastically reduced revenues--from an ever-growing number of lower-cost phone and video providers. Alcatel, a major technology company helping Verizon and AT&T build their broadband networks, notes in one business white paper that cable and phone companies are "really competing with the Internet as a business model, which is even more formidable than just competing with a few innovative service aggregators such as Google, Yahoo and Skype." (Skype is a telephone service provider using the Internet.)

Policy Racket

The goal of dominating the nation's principal broadband pipeline serving all of our everyday (and ever-growing) communications needs is also a major motivation behind opposition to net neutrality. Alcatel and other broadband equipment firms are helping the phone and cable industries build what will be a reconfigured Internet--one optimized to generate what they call "triple play" profits from "high revenue services such as video, voice and multimedia communications." Triple play means generating revenues from a single customer who is using a bundle of services for phone, TV and PC--at home, at work or via wireless devices. The corporate system emerging for the United States (and elsewhere in the world) is being designed to boost how much we spend on services, so phone and cable providers can increase what they call our "ARPU" (average revenue per user). This is the "next generation" Internet system being created for us, one purposefully designed to facilitate the needs of a mass consumerist culture.

Absent net neutrality and other safeguards, the phone/cable plan seeks to impose what is called a "policy-based" broadband system that creates "rules" of service for every user and online content provider. How much one can afford to spend would determine the range and quality of digital media access. Broadband connections would be governed by ever-vigilant network software engaged in "traffic policing" to insure each user couldn't exceed the "granted resources" supervised by "admission control" technologies. Mechanisms are being put in place so our monopoly providers can "differentiate charging in real time for a wide range of applications and events." Among the services that can form the basis of new revenues, notes Alcatel, is online content related to "community, forums, Internet access, information, news, find your way (navigation), marketing push, and health monitoring."

Missing from the current legislative debate on communications is how the plans of cable and phone companies threaten civic participation, the free flow of information and meaningful competition. Nor do the House or Senate versions of the bill insure that the public will receive high-speed Internet service at a reasonable price. According to market analysts, the costs US users pay for broadband service is more than eight times higher than what subscribers pay in Japan and South Korea. (Japanese consumers pay a mere 75 cents per megabit. South Koreans are charged only 73 cents. But US users are paying $6.10 per megabit. Internet service abroad is also much faster than it is here.)

Why are US online users being held hostage to higher rates at slower speeds? Blame the business plans of the phone and cable companies. As technology pioneer Bob Frankston and PBS tech columnist Robert Cringely recently explained , the phone and cable companies see our broadband future as merely a "billable event." Frankston and Cringely urge us to be part of a movement where we--and our communities--are not just passive generators of corporate profit but proactive creators of our own digital futures. That means we would become owners of the "last mile" of fiber wire, the key link to the emerging broadband world. For about $17 a month, over ten years, the high-speed connections coming to our homes would be ours--not in perpetual hock to phone or cable monopolists. Under such a scenario, notes Cringely, we would just pay around $2 a month for super-speed Internet access.

Regardless of whether Congress passes legislation in the fall, progressives need to create a forward-looking telecom policy agenda. They should seek to insure online access for low-income Americans, provide public oversight of broadband services, foster the development of digital communities and make it clear that the public's free speech rights online are paramount. It's now time to help kill the Stevens "tube" bill and work toward a digital future where Internet access is a right--and not dependent on how much we can pay to "admission control."

http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0819-23.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:26 am 

baddy wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:

--Batchain

Hi Bat,
Well, I can understand why you feel that way, but quite frankly you're helping the elite, you're a big help to those you hate.

I'm your friend, we go places together, and you know who I am and that I wouldn't bullshit you. With that said, I'll tell you right in the eyes that we NEED your help.

The elite need to stay in power, they gotta give a lot of money to the top 2/3's of the Democratic and Republican party politicians who will represent them... These politicians then use this money to buy TV ad's to stay in power themselves...the self licking ice cream cone.

They stay in power not only because of people who fall for the TV ad's and vote for them, but they stay in power also because many people stay home and don't vote for the good politicians, (the enemy's of the elite). Many people help the elite by telling others that "it's not worth it to try, I can't do anything about it," (you only can't do anything about it if you don't do anything about it). Because other people hear and read that, your negativism spreads, helping the elite maintain the status quo, (Bat figures it's useless, so why should I try). The top 1% stay that way exactly because of uninformed and misled voters, purposeful "lesser evilism" voters, and apathy causing potential voters to stay at home and NOT vote for good politicians, (their enemys). We help or we hurt, but we can't be neutral.

Chomsky's quote is worth requoting, in these days they are words to take to heart:
"it is imperative that an aroused public does not come to understand the workings of the corporate-state system."

It's imperative to the elite that we stay unaroused...which you seem to be.

So tell me, what's the cost of changing one's outlook look from negativism to activism?

In the first place, failing to oppose those who drop bombs on baby's makes one complicent. I for one don't want to be guilty of killing any babys...and once one realizes what their actions are enabling, one can no longer morally stand by and do nothing. What sort of person would not stand up for a baby being killed? That is what's at stake here...and if one jumps the fence and starts working against the elite, they know about themselves that they are standing up for their fellow humans, instead of rolling over and letting the elite bomb them. It feels a lot better internally to know you're helping humanity, instead of hurting humanity. And ultimatly, there is no difference between a President who votes for baby killing, a Senator who votes for baby killing, or a citizen who votes for baby killing.

What does it take to join the force for good? Well, you still get to grumble, piss, and moan just like on the dark side (I know, I spent a lot of time on the dark side, years), but the message is slightly different. The message is to piss and moan to show your friends what must be changed, and to inspire them to stop helping evil, and start helping good. The other component is to start voting for folks who are not on the corporate take, who are for justice to humanity, we DO have many such candidates.

I think citizenship requires at minimum that people go out and vote for good candidates, and against bad ones. Possibly in addition to that, that if they know things about asshole candidates that they become NOT be afraid to speak up when their neighbor is falling for the big money TV ad's. Don't be afraid to tell them for example that Kerry is an asshole, no matter how in vogue it is for the ignorant to be voting for his version of baby killing, (sending 2 more divisions to Iraq). Besides,many times when a neighber says something to you such as "Kerry is good," they are REALLY testing their own opinion on you, to get confirmation if it's valad or not...if you instead respond with "What' so much better about a dead Kerry baby than a dead Bush baby?"... well, the situation has changed, your neighbor got your opinion, and elite have lost another helper. Never underestimate the power of your words, whether they be positive OR negative, (fo rexample in my positive post above, you came along and countered the positive energy with the negative "it's no good to try." Other people read what you wrote, the overall effect was to work against your friend who was trying to do some good. Now I know that wasn't your intention, you were just reporting how you honestly feel...but you can see from that how everything you do matters, the one thing you can't do is stop the world and get off. Especially in politics, you can't say or do something that doesn't matter.

The best paper airplaines are the ones aimed not at the politicians, but at your friends and neighbors. We get so mad at the rich politicians in power, but in truth, WE VOTED THEM IN. Shouldn't the blame for the wars and the outsourcing be realistically blamed on our friends neighbors who repeatedly fell for the billion dollar advertizing blitzes and voted these assholes in? As tilted towards the rich as our remnants of Democracy is, it still does work...With very few exceptions we voted all the assholes in who represent money, they used their money to coax everyone into voting for them, they certainly didn't vote themselves in.

Finally Bat, how do you wake up the sleeping sheep you referred to? Well, how asleep are they? Maybe not very. Maybe most of them feel as you, "why bother to try." If that's the case, then to know what will wake them up, think about what it would take to change your own message a little bit.

In the end what will certainly wake them eventually, (if their friends still haven't been able to), is the following:

1. Outsource all their jobs, don't let them work..

2. Take away their health insurance and cut their Social Security.

3. Push them into poverty so they can't buy any FZ albums.

4. Take away their food.

5. Kill tens of thousands of baby's in their name.

6. Send thousands of them to war to kill thousands of good people overseas.

7. Give them a trillion dollar Nat'l deficit to make sure they all go deeply in debt.

8. Give them a trillion dollar war deficit to drive them deeper in debt.

9. Oppress and kill a lot of poverty stricken Muslems so they revolt and fly planes into our buildings.

10. Send the National Guard AND ALL IT'S EQUIPMENT to kill Muslems so when a hurricane hits, we can't respond.

11. Take recovery money for hurracanes from cuts in domestic spending while boosting the pentagon budget to kill more overseas in our name.

12. Provide billions in taxpayer funded aid to Israel so they can buy our planes and drop American bombs on Palestineans and folks in Lebanon.

Well, you get the idea...the list goes on...

So...we see a handful of friends on our forum, who activly post information, and who haven't "given up."

I'll ask you as a personal friend Bat, will you help us? We really do need you...and the more you help us, the more badly we need you.

And that's the truth.

Why be on the dark side and allow cynicism to sabotage the efforts of those who are trying to bring good change? Hell, there ain't a whole lot of wool over your eyes anyways Bat, you're already 7/8's of the way there :)

There's time for having fun going to ZPZ, Project Object, and Helmet concerts, and there's also time for standing up for yourself and the babys we bomb.

Will you help us Mr. Chain?
PS. Also, with a minor alteration you not only can feel better, but you're not venturing alone without help, you're joining a pretty nifty group. Below is a picture of a stack of envelopes about to go out the door. It's not paper planes to random sheep, it's a concentration of addresses of activists who live near me. They are all people who were marching in an antiwar protest in Hartford, they all believe they "can do something about it," and they're right. Each letter will cause three letters to the editor to the three major CT newspapers, getting our voice into hundreds and hundreds of thousands of homes, (at a time when an asshole elite Senator is on the verge of losing the nomination), Activists, at any leve, are a pretty nice group to join.

Also, for people who truly feel they can't do anything about the elitist control over their lives, I say you can do something about it if you just do something. I did something about it, there's a box of envelopes on my coffee table, and there's no difference between me and you. "I can't do anything," is what the rich enjoy hearing you say.

For anyone who thinks they can't do anything, if you had a clipboard and had been at the protest with me, there'd be twice as many envelopes on my coffee table.

Meanwhile, at another march, another nice group of people to join :)

Baddy, my only hope is that the fire does not have to burn the asses of the masses before they realize they are already right in the fire!

Something did happen in the mid-90s and I'll swear to that with my last breath. I just want to know what the fuck it was and how it assured a Fascist White House by the year 2000, one with a "President" who has this supposed "33% approval rating" but who would be guaranteed a landslide popular victory tomorrow even if there were a real election held -- not like those goddamn fucking mock-elections of 2000 and 2004 which no one has any interest in investigating, ever.

--Bat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:46 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Congress Poised to Unravel the Internet

Lured by huge checks handed out by the country's top lobbyists, members of Congress could soon strike a blow against Internet freedom as they seek to resolve the hot-button controversy over preserving "network neutrality." The telecommunications reform bill now moving through Congress threatens to be a major setback for those who hope that digital media can foster a more democratic society. The bill not only precludes net neutrality safeguards but also eliminates local community oversight of digital communications provided by cable and phone giants. It sets the stage for the privatized, consolidated and unregulated communications system that is at the core of the phone and cable lobbies' political agenda.

In both the House and Senate versions of the bill, Americans are described as "consumers" and "subscribers," not citizens deserving substantial rights when it comes to the creation and distribution of digital media. A handful of companies stand to gain incredible monopoly power from such legislation, especially AT&T, Comcast, Time Warner and Verizon. They have already used their political clout in Washington to secure for the phone and cable industries a stunning 98 percent control of the US residential market for high-speed Internet.

Alaska Republican Senator Ted Stevens, the powerful Commerce Committee chair, is trying to line up votes for his "Advanced Telecommunications and Opportunities Reform Act." It was Stevens who called the Internet a "series of tubes" as he tried to explain his bill. Now the subject of well-honed satirical jabs from The Daily Show, as well as dozens of independently made videos, Stevens is hunkering down to get his bill passed by the Senate when it reconvenes in September.

But thanks to the work of groups like Save the Internet, many Senate Democrats now oppose the bill because of its failure to address net neutrality. (Disclosure: The Center for Digital Democracy, where I work, is a member of that coalition.) Oregon Democrat Senator Ron Wyden, Maine Republican Olympia Snowe and South Dakota Democrat Byron Dorgan have joined forces to protect the US Internet. Wyden has placed a "hold" on the bill, requiring Stevens (and the phone and cable lobbies) to strong-arm sixty colleagues to prevent a filibuster. But with a number of GOP senators in tight races now fearful of opposing net neutrality, the bill's chances for passage before the midterm election are slim. Stevens, however, may be able to gain enough support for passage when Congress returns for a lame-duck session.

Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Thus far, the strategy of the phone and cable lobbies has been to dismiss concerns about net neutrality as either paranoid fantasies or political discontent from progressives. "It's a made-up issue," AT&T CEO Ed Whitacre said in early August at a meeting of state regulators. New Hampshire Republican Senator John Sununu claims that net neutrality is "what the liberal left have hung their hat on," suggesting that the outcry over Internet freedom is more partisan than substantive. Other critics of net neutrality, including many front groups, have tried to frame the debate around unsubstantiated fears about users finding access to websites blocked, pointing to a 2005 FCC policy statement that "consumers are entitled to access the lawful Internet content of their choice." But the issue of blocking has been purposefully raised to shift the focus from what should be the real concerns about why the phone and cable giants are challenging federal rules requiring nondiscriminatory treatment of digital content.

Verizon, Comcast and the others are terrified of the Internet as we know it today. Net neutrality rules would jeopardize their far-reaching plans to transform our digital communications system. Both the cable and phone industries recognize that if their broadband pipes (now a monopoly) must be operated in an open and neutral fashion, they will face real competition--and drastically reduced revenues--from an ever-growing number of lower-cost phone and video providers. Alcatel, a major technology company helping Verizon and AT&T build their broadband networks, notes in one business white paper that cable and phone companies are "really competing with the Internet as a business model, which is even more formidable than just competing with a few innovative service aggregators such as Google, Yahoo and Skype." (Skype is a telephone service provider using the Internet.)

Policy Racket

The goal of dominating the nation's principal broadband pipeline serving all of our everyday (and ever-growing) communications needs is also a major motivation behind opposition to net neutrality. Alcatel and other broadband equipment firms are helping the phone and cable industries build what will be a reconfigured Internet--one optimized to generate what they call "triple play" profits from "high revenue services such as video, voice and multimedia communications." Triple play means generating revenues from a single customer who is using a bundle of services for phone, TV and PC--at home, at work or via wireless devices. The corporate system emerging for the United States (and elsewhere in the world) is being designed to boost how much we spend on services, so phone and cable providers can increase what they call our "ARPU" (average revenue per user). This is the "next generation" Internet system being created for us, one purposefully designed to facilitate the needs of a mass consumerist culture.

Absent net neutrality and other safeguards, the phone/cable plan seeks to impose what is called a "policy-based" broadband system that creates "rules" of service for every user and online content provider. How much one can afford to spend would determine the range and quality of digital media access. Broadband connections would be governed by ever-vigilant network software engaged in "traffic policing" to insure each user couldn't exceed the "granted resources" supervised by "admission control" technologies. Mechanisms are being put in place so our monopoly providers can "differentiate charging in real time for a wide range of applications and events." Among the services that can form the basis of new revenues, notes Alcatel, is online content related to "community, forums, Internet access, information, news, find your way (navigation), marketing push, and health monitoring."

Missing from the current legislative debate on communications is how the plans of cable and phone companies threaten civic participation, the free flow of information and meaningful competition. Nor do the House or Senate versions of the bill insure that the public will receive high-speed Internet service at a reasonable price. According to market analysts, the costs US users pay for broadband service is more than eight times higher than what subscribers pay in Japan and South Korea. (Japanese consumers pay a mere 75 cents per megabit. South Koreans are charged only 73 cents. But US users are paying $6.10 per megabit. Internet service abroad is also much faster than it is here.)

Why are US online users being held hostage to higher rates at slower speeds? Blame the business plans of the phone and cable companies. As technology pioneer Bob Frankston and PBS tech columnist Robert Cringely recently explained , the phone and cable companies see our broadband future as merely a "billable event." Frankston and Cringely urge us to be part of a movement where we--and our communities--are not just passive generators of corporate profit but proactive creators of our own digital futures. That means we would become owners of the "last mile" of fiber wire, the key link to the emerging broadband world. For about $17 a month, over ten years, the high-speed connections coming to our homes would be ours--not in perpetual hock to phone or cable monopolists. Under such a scenario, notes Cringely, we would just pay around $2 a month for super-speed Internet access.

Regardless of whether Congress passes legislation in the fall, progressives need to create a forward-looking telecom policy agenda. They should seek to insure online access for low-income Americans, provide public oversight of broadband services, foster the development of digital communities and make it clear that the public's free speech rights online are paramount. It's now time to help kill the Stevens "tube" bill and work toward a digital future where Internet access is a right--and not dependent on how much we can pay to "admission control."

http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0819-23.htm
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
"...progressives need to create a forward-looking telecom agenda." What the fuck is that? That last paragraph MR_G_G quoted is so vague and gossamer-thin that it betrays the mentality of, "I absolutely know what I don't want but I can't tell you anything about what I do want." It's just hideously lacking any substance and just stinking with the odor of a Bill Clinton nothingness.

--Bat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:04 am 

Net Neutrality Wins More Senators

Jason Lee Miller
Staff Writer
Published: 2006-09-01

The Net Neutrality movement is gaining support among U.S. senators. At the close of the August recess, the SaveTheInternet.com coalition added four previously uncommitted legislators to the cause.

According to the website, that brings the tally to 26 senators in favor of the Snowe-Dorgan amendment to Senator Ted Stevens' sweeping telecom bill. There is ground left to make up, though, with half the Senate still uncertain.

The split is almost entirely according to party lines. All 14 of the senators who've made a stance against Net Neutrality are Republican. Of the 26 senators in favor, 24 are Democrat. Fifty-six are still uncommitted, and four straddle the fence.

The SaveTheInternet.com coalition reports that activists "took to the pavement" in 25 cities nationwide this week to deliver petitions to Senate members in their hometowns during recess. The outcry was enough to convince Mark Dayton (D-Minn.), Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), James Jeffords (I-Vt.) and Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) to pledge their support.

"We are extremely pleased that both of our New York Senators are pro Net Neutrality," said Jessica Findley, a freelance graphic designer from Brooklyn, who helped organize the New York City rally. In New York, 50,000 petitions were delivered to Schumer.

It is unknown if Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) was persuaded by the crowd outside her Detroit office, where David Pettit of the Public Interest Research Group made his appeal.

"Powerful telephone company lobbyists will tell you one of two things - both of which, of course, are false," said Petit. "First, they will tell you that the Stevens bill already preserves Net Neutrality. This is completely not true. Second, they might say ‘don't regulate the Internet. Let the market decide.' ... All we want to do is reinstate the Net Neutrality principles that guarantee that the Internet treats everyone fairly."

This week, petition delivery events were held at senators' offices in Baltimore; Boston; Charleston, W.Va.; Columbus, Ohio; Eau Claire, Wis.; Fayetteville, Ark Honolulu; Louisville, Ky.; Madison, Wis.; Milwaukee; Montpelier, Vt.; Orlando; Newark, N.J.; Portland, Maine; Providence, R.I.; Seattle; Spokane, Wash.; and Wilmington, Del.

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/topnews/wpn-60-20060901NetNeutralityWinsMoreSenators.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:59 am 

Sen. Ted Kennedy supports Net Neutrality
Sen. Ted Kennedy discusses the importance of net neutrality as it relates to our democracy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UlCXXZTTh8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:42 pm 

Henry Rollins "America is under attack."
Henry Rollins tells it like it is. Fuck the Neo-cons and there (sic) destruction of America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnexu_eGyYs