Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9366 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232 ... 375  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2301
Caputh wrote:
(Personal experience section for DM).


Thank you.
I owe you one.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3569
Location: Vancouver, BC
Caputh wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

And seriously, how many homicides aren't committed with guns?


Well, according to the site you quote, in 2009 15, 241 homicides were committed in the US. 9,146 of those were committed using guns. The figures appear fairly constant from 2000 to 2009.
So roughly 40 % of all homicides in the US are committed without using a gun.
World-wide, 40% of all homicides are not committed with a gun.
In West and Central Europe (where gun laws are very strict) only 19% of all homicides are committed using firearms.
In West and Central Europe the homicide rate by any means is just over 2 per 100,000 of the population.
In North America as a whole it is just under 6 per 100,000. So around 3 times as many homicides by any means in North America. http://www.unodc.org/documents/data-and ... report.pdf (Figures from 2004).


Oh...and the population of West & Central Europe is smaller than the US. You conveniently forgot to include that FACT. :wink:

Pope Jim wrote:
ChartIn China, annual homicides by any means total

2008: 14,8117
2007: 16,119
2006: 17,973
2005: 20,770
2004: 24,711
2003: 24,393
2002: 26,276

Numbers provided by Disco Boy. First of all, throw out the number for 2008, as it's either copied wrongly or the comma's in the wrong place. Also, The total homicides for 2002 are almost twice as great as 2007, with steadily descending numbers in between. If China were really experiencing a drop-off in murders as drastic as this, don't you think they'd be blowing their horn about it? It would seem to prove that Communism holds the cure for all our ills.

Personally, I think Disco Boy manufactured those numbers out of thin air.


Personally, I think you don't know how to read properly.

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4827
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
Disco Boy wrote:

Oh...and the population of West & Central Europe is smaller than the US. You conveniently forgot to include that FACT. :wink:



West and Central Europe in the report linked to above consists of 18 countries http://www.unodc.org/documents/data-and ... report.pdf (c.f. fig. 4.3 on page 75). It uses data from 2004. I would suggest they are referring to the following 18 =
Austria 8,414,638
Belgium 11,007,020
Denmark 5,564,219
Finland 5,388,417
France 65,821,885
Germany 81,799,600
Greece 10,787,690
Iceland 318,452
Ireland 4,581,269
Italy 60,681,514
Luxembourg 511,840
Netherlands 16,699,600
Norway 4,989,300
Portugal 10,647,763
Spain 40,049,708
Sweden 9,415,570
Switzerland 7,866,500
United Kingdom 62,262,000

Total population 412,787,386 (2011 figures, so about 400 million in 2004)


Population of the USA 311,591,917




However, to be fair, the report also refers to 3 countries in North America and not the USA. So we can add...

Canada 33,573,000
Mexico 112,322,757

So 457,487, 674. Which is around 50 million more. Not enough to explain a 3 to 1 ratio. I suppose we could blame it all on the Mexicans.

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:52 pm
Posts: 1827
How will we rid ourselves of guns?

By magic?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
A rope leash wrote:
How will we rid ourselves of guns?

By magic?

People will voluntarily give their guns to the nice man who makes manhole covers outta them.Easy as eating aunt Bea's pie. :mrgreen:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:57 pm
Posts: 742
Location: Atlanta
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
A rope leash wrote:
How will we rid ourselves of guns?

By magic?

People will voluntarily give their guns to the nice man who makes manhole covers outta them.Easy as eating aunt Bea's pie. :mrgreen:


I imagine you would have had to tie her down, though her current deceased state would make it considerable easier, if there is enough left.

_________________
“The power of pop music to corrupt and putrify the minds of world youth are virtually limitless."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
duchamp wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
A rope leash wrote:
How will we rid ourselves of guns?

By magic?

People will voluntarily give their guns to the nice man who makes manhole covers outta them.Easy as eating aunt Bea's pie. :mrgreen:


I imagine you would have had to tie her down, though her current deceased state would make it considerable easier, if there is enough left.

Aunt Bea's deceased! :shock: Does Andy know?

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3569
Location: Vancouver, BC
Caputh wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Oh...and the population of West & Central Europe is smaller than the US. You conveniently forgot to include that FACT. :wink:



West and Central Europe in the report linked to above consists of 18 countries http://www.unodc.org/documents/data-and ... report.pdf (c.f. fig. 4.3 on page 75). It uses data from 2004. I would suggest they are referring to the following 18 =
Austria 8,414,638
Belgium 11,007,020
Denmark 5,564,219
Finland 5,388,417
France 65,821,885
Germany 81,799,600
Greece 10,787,690
Iceland 318,452
Ireland 4,581,269
Italy 60,681,514
Luxembourg 511,840
Netherlands 16,699,600
Norway 4,989,300
Portugal 10,647,763
Spain 40,049,708
Sweden 9,415,570
Switzerland 7,866,500
United Kingdom 62,262,000

Total population 412,787,386 (2011 figures, so about 400 million in 2004)


Population of the USA 311,591,917




However, to be fair, the report also refers to 3 countries in North America and not the USA. So we can add...

Canada 33,573,000
Mexico 112,322,757

So 457,487, 674. Which is around 50 million more. Not enough to explain a 3 to 1 ratio. I suppose we could blame it all on the Mexicans.


These countries are NOT part of West or Central Europe:

Norway 4,989,300
Portugal 10,647,763
Spain 40,049,708
Greece 10,787,690
Iceland 318,452
Italy 60,681,514
Denmark 5,564,219
Finland 5,388,417

And these two technically aren't even part of Europe:

Ireland 4,581,269
United Kingdom 62,262,000


With a 200 million+ population difference in the total, that kinda changes the ballgame, doesn't it?














:roll:

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:52 pm
Posts: 1827
Somebody needs to eat her pie.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
A rope leash wrote:
Somebody needs to eat her pie.

.....This just in,Ernest T.Bass ate Aunt Bea's last pie.It was the last known pie from Ms.Bea known to be in the public domain.There have been rumurs that there might be one or two left in private collections.As her co-worker Opie said it,"Aunt Bea was a pie baking fool,so it's reasonable to assume there's some B-pie's still out there." Andy Taylor and Barney Fife were unavailable for comment.

The suspect,Mr.Bass was last seen throwing rocks though windows in an effort to git Bonnie Sue to marry him...and yelling "Ahheyuk,I's a gonna keep on a throwin' these bricks right through every window in town until Bonnie Sue and us gits hitched.Uh huh,I loves you Bonnie Sue!"

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4827
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
Disco Boy wrote:
Caputh wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Oh...and the population of West & Central Europe is smaller than the US. You conveniently forgot to include that FACT. :wink:



West and Central Europe in the report linked to above consists of 18 countries http://www.unodc.org/documents/data-and ... report.pdf (c.f. fig. 4.3 on page 75). It uses data from 2004. I would suggest they are referring to the following 18 =
Austria 8,414,638
Belgium 11,007,020
Denmark 5,564,219
Finland 5,388,417
France 65,821,885
Germany 81,799,600
Greece 10,787,690
Iceland 318,452
Ireland 4,581,269
Italy 60,681,514
Luxembourg 511,840
Netherlands 16,699,600
Norway 4,989,300
Portugal 10,647,763
Spain 40,049,708
Sweden 9,415,570
Switzerland 7,866,500
United Kingdom 62,262,000

Total population 412,787,386 (2011 figures, so about 400 million in 2004)


Population of the USA 311,591,917




However, to be fair, the report also refers to 3 countries in North America and not the USA. So we can add...

Canada 33,573,000
Mexico 112,322,757

So 457,487, 674. Which is around 50 million more. Not enough to explain a 3 to 1 ratio. I suppose we could blame it all on the Mexicans.


These countries are NOT part of West or Central Europe:

Norway 4,989,300
Portugal 10,647,763
Spain 40,049,708
Greece 10,787,690
Iceland 318,452
Italy 60,681,514
Denmark 5,564,219
Finland 5,388,417

And these two technically aren't even part of Europe:

Ireland 4,581,269
United Kingdom 62,262,000


With a 200 million+ population difference in the total, that kinda changes the ballgame, doesn't it?














:roll:


Disco Boy - I am from the United Kingdom and I can assure you that it and Ireland are part of Europe both technically and in reality. What particular continent would you like to assign us to instead? Asia? North America? Arcadia? Atlantis? :| If your argument is that it is an island, then I would like to point out by that logic New Zealand does not belong to Oceania, Japan does not belong to Asia, Sicily does not belong to Europe and Rhode Island does not belong to North America.

The report I quoted above refers to
Quote:
18 countries in West and Central Europe.
http://www.unodc.org/documents/data-and ... report.pdf. on page 75.

You object to the 18 I assume they're referring to and subtract 10. However, you don't substitute them for a different 10 and arrive therefore at a total that is, unsurprisingly, 200 million less.

In the appendix to that report, they list the countries that they consider to be West and Central Europe as follows: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Sweden Switzerland and the UK.
(East Europe is, according to this report: Belarus, Moldova, Russia and the Ukraine.
South-East Europe is, according to this report: Albania, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Montenegro, Rumania, Serbia, Macedonia and Turkey.)
http://www.unodc.org/documents/data-and ... 012009.pdf. Pages 6 -7.

What is unclear from http://www.unodc.org/documents/data-and ... report.pdf. is which 18 West and Central European Countries of the 28 listed above they are referring to. However, on page 71, Fig. 4.1., they are clearly referring to all 28, and on page 78 fig 4.4 to "27 countries in West and Central Europe". I would think it really pretty unlikely that they would specifically choose to take the countries with the smallest populations (e.g. Monaco, Liechtenstein, Andorra and Malta) to make up their "18 West and Central European Countries" in the table on page 75, wouldn't you?

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:57 pm
Posts: 742
Location: Atlanta
Caputh wrote:
Disco Boy - I am from the United Kingdom and I can assure you that it and Ireland are part of Europe both technically and in reality. What particular continent would you like to assign us to instead? Asia? North America? Arcadia? Atlantis? :| If your argument is that it is an island, then I would like to point out by that logic New Zealand does not belong to Oceania, Japan does not belong to Asia, Sicily does not belong to Europe and Rhode Island does not belong to North America.


Awesome. Rhode Island is NOT an island:

Image

_________________
“The power of pop music to corrupt and putrify the minds of world youth are virtually limitless."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 2176
Caputh - Why are you questioning Disco Boy? It should be quite apparent to all of us by now that he does know it all. After all, he studied economics.

I'm still puzzled by the picture of Harry Belafonte holding a burning shopping bag though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4827
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
duchamp wrote:
Caputh wrote:
Disco Boy - I am from the United Kingdom and I can assure you that it and Ireland are part of Europe both technically and in reality. What particular continent would you like to assign us to instead? Asia? North America? Arcadia? Atlantis? :| If your argument is that it is an island, then I would like to point out by that logic New Zealand does not belong to Oceania, Japan does not belong to Asia, Sicily does not belong to Europe and Rhode Island does not belong to North America.


Awesome. Rhode Island is NOT an island:

Image


Oops, my bad. :oops: :oops: :oops:

How about Manhattan Island not belonging to America? :?:

BTW. Britain used NOT to be an island as well.

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Last edited by Caputh on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 20189
Location: Somewhere in time
They have a bridge, its kind of like putting a ring on it, its yours now... :mrgreen:

:smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4827
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
Plook wrote:
They have a bridge, its kind of like putting a ring on it, its yours now... :mrgreen:

:smoke:


Hey, we've got a fucking channel tunnel man! We could have built a bridge, but we built a tunnel.
(I tend to take the ferry myself)

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 8560
Location: Wellington New Zealand
Good morning from NZ, 8:00am December 21st, 2012. the world appears to have survived unscathed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4827
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
Haven't we got to wait 'till South American time? :| :| :|

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 8560
Location: Wellington New Zealand
OH NO!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4827
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
Don't worry, just say to yourself: "The Mayans were only referring to the end of a cycle" twice every minute. Either that or book a flight to Bugarach very quickly. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/no ... apocalypse

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:57 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 9488
Location: EINDHOVEN
Isn't Bugarach near Rennes-le-Château? I'd love to visit that, out of Gabriel Knight 3 love.<3

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:57 pm
Posts: 742
Location: Atlanta
Caputh wrote:
duchamp wrote:
Awesome. Rhode Island is NOT an island


Oops, my bad. :oops: :oops: :oops:

How about Manhattan Island not belonging to America? :?:

BTW. Britain used NOT to be an island as well.


No foul and sorry to call you out. I just thought it was funny. I mean, who the hell names a place an island when it clearly is not?

_________________
“The power of pop music to corrupt and putrify the minds of world youth are virtually limitless."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6929
Location: South wales
Caputh wrote:
duchamp wrote:
Caputh wrote:
Disco Boy - I am from the United Kingdom and I can assure you that it and Ireland are part of Europe both technically and in reality. What particular continent would you like to assign us to instead? Asia? North America? Arcadia? Atlantis? :| If your argument is that it is an island, then I would like to point out by that logic New Zealand does not belong to Oceania, Japan does not belong to Asia, Sicily does not belong to Europe and Rhode Island does not belong to North America.


Awesome. Rhode Island is NOT an island:

Image


Oops, my bad. :oops: :oops: :oops:

How about Manhattan Island not belonging to America? :?:

BTW. Britain used NOT to be an island as well.

Even if it ain't there is still possible too see a island from there :D

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3569
Location: Vancouver, BC
Caputh wrote:
Disco Boy - I am from the United Kingdom and I can assure you that it and Ireland are part of Europe both technically and in reality.


Well, I couldn't disagree more. Especially since you're from the UK, you should be fully aware that they have their own sovereign state, currency, particularities, etc., and there are PLENTY of people/residents who disagree that they are part of Europe. And in case you don't know, there are countries in the world that don't belong to continents.

Because of this and where they stated that certain countries are part of West & Central Europe, when they're clearly NOT, since all one has to do is look at a map to find out, as far as I'm concerned, the "report" you posted has lost almost all of its credibility. :roll:

KUIII wrote:
Caputh - Why are you questioning Disco Boy? It should be quite apparent to all of us by now that he does know it all. After all, he studied economics.

I'm still puzzled by the picture of Harry Belafonte holding a burning shopping bag though.


I'd suggest you keep your day job. Comedy is not your bag.

You can go back to supporting your President, who contradicted himself on just about everything he campaigned on in 2008, lies his ass off, is pro-war, anti-Constitution and will do ANYTHING to get elected. And that's just for starters...

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:57 pm
Posts: 742
Location: Atlanta
Disco Boy wrote:
Caputh wrote:
Disco Boy - I am from the United Kingdom and I can assure you that it and Ireland are part of Europe both technically and in reality.


Well, I couldn't disagree more. Especially since you're from the UK, you should be fully aware that they have their own sovereign state, currency, particularities, etc., and there are PLENTY of people/residents who disagree that they are part of Europe. And in case you don't know, there are countries in the world that don't belong to continents.

Because of this and where they stated that certain countries are part of West & Central Europe, when they're clearly NOT, since all one has to do is look at a map to find out, as far as I'm concerned, the "report" you posted has lost almost all of its credibility. :roll:

KUIII wrote:
Caputh - Why are you questioning Disco Boy? It should be quite apparent to all of us by now that he does know it all. After all, he studied economics.

I'm still puzzled by the picture of Harry Belafonte holding a burning shopping bag though.


I'd suggest you keep your day job. Comedy is not your bag.

You can go back to supporting your President, who contradicted himself on just about everything he campaigned on in 2008, lies his ass off, is pro-war, anti-Constitution and will do ANYTHING to get elected. And that's just for starters...



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU0wyJxAZ6c

_________________
“The power of pop music to corrupt and putrify the minds of world youth are virtually limitless."


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9366 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232 ... 375  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group