Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9440 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234 ... 378  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:40 am 

Describe a scenario whereupon guns are taken from Americans.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:51 am 

simplex II wrote:
Four simple facts should clear this up:
1) In 2010 there were 310 homicides in Detroit. A mile away in Windsor, Canada there were none. They both have same movies and video games...

This is because most of the Jamaicans are in Toronto.

simplex II wrote:
2) Japan is also noted for their many popular video games and movies and still very few homicides...

Japanese are too busy committing suicide to kill other people.

simplex II wrote:
3) There has not been a case in the last thirty years where armed civilians stopped mass shootings

Because most civilians obey the law and don't carry guns. Change the law and....

simplex II wrote:
4) Who profits most when homicides occur? Flies, bacteria, lawyers and gun sellers.

You forgot CNN.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:35 am 

So far, most people aren't talking about this: The NRA is suggesting that the NRA recruit, train, fund, and employ this "cop in every school" program. That's all we need, isn't it? :x

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:17 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
Caputh wrote:
Blame the UN then, don't blame me. :P (BTW Spain and Portugal look pretty west on my map, south-west admittedly, but west all the same. But perhaps the map you are using is the same one that informed you that "technically" the UK and Ireland don't belong to Europe )

Give me a break.

No, Spain and Portugal are not west, they're south, or south-west AT BEST, which is a major stretch. And again, there are PLENTY of people who disagree that Ireland and UK are part of Europe.

Anyway, the point here is that report is NOT credible.

I see! So, by the the same token San Diego is in the south of the USA, "plenty of people" appear to have decided that the UK and Ireland belong to the new continent of "Madeuppia" and the UN report on the amount of homicides committed in what they describe as "West and Central Europe" is unreliable because their definition of "West and Central Europe" invalidates their statistics!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:41 am 

A rope leash wrote:

The Brady Bill

It's time for the NRA to go. It's only real purpose is to serve as another business special interest group looking at prioritizing profit margins over the lives of 5 year old school children. In my opinion, it's a pro-terrorist organization.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:08 pm 

Right on, Spacebrother!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:41 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
simplex II wrote:
Four simple facts should clear this up:
1) In 2010 there were 310 homicides in Detroit. A mile away in Windsor, Canada there were none. They both have same movies and video games...

As of 2011, Detroit's Combined Statistical Area population was over 5.2 million and Windsor's population was 210,891.

simplex II wrote:
2) Japan is also noted for their many popular video games and movies and still very few homicides...

Hmmm. Maybe that's because many Japanese people are super-busy-world-renown-over-achievers who produce much of the world's video games, movies and developing technological advancements, etc,...

simplex II wrote:
3) There has not been a case in the last thirty years where armed civilians stopped mass shootings

Well, duh!

simplex II wrote:
4) Who profits most when homicides occur? Flies, bacteria, lawyers and gun sellers.

So because some people earn money/make a living from the sale of firearms means they should automatically be banned?

Btw, despite the fact I'm not a fan of prohibition, I would probably agree with you that assault weapons, like machine guns, etc., should be banned, since there really isn't a practical use for them unless you're going to kill somebody/something. But unfortunately, your above points fail at making that argument...

"Never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." -Zappa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:45 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
So far, most people aren't talking about this: The NRA is suggesting that the NRA recruit, train, fund, and employ this "cop in every school" program. That's all we need, isn't it? :x

Yeah. We can get them to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:09 pm 

The Brady Bill? That does not describe a scenario whereupon guns are taken away from Americans.

The Brady Bill only hinders the legal purchase of a gun. If someone still wants a gun, someone can still get a gun.

Which is my point. There are already millions of guns in the hands of Americans. After guns are banned, they will still be in the hands of Americans. How will they be taken away?

Describe this process to me.

In the meantime, let's talk about all the guns that will still be around after guns are banned. How will we protect children from bad people with those guns?

If you ask me, having a cop at a school isn't a bad idea. If children are as precious as we pretend they are, nothing should keep us from protecting them. Bad people could enter a school with pipe bombs, tear gas, concussion grenades, machetes, baseball bats...you name it, it doesn't have to be a gun.

So, if you think cops should not be posted at schools, then explain why not. Are they not worth protecting? Do you think that once guns are banned, they will not exist?

(You probably do, if you are dumb enough to think that the NRA is a terrorist organization. Have they attacked anyone violently to advance their cause? No? They aren't terrorists then.)

The problem with this debate is that people tend to see it in black and white. There's a lot of grey there. Guns will still exist, even after a ban. More people, not less, should be armed and ready, if they choose to do so.

What else is overlooked whenever American children are murdered? Well, for one thing, we kill thousands of babies every year, before they even have a chance to be cute. It's called abortion, something some folks insist is a "right". We also kill thousands of children and other innocents with our ham-handed war on terror tactics. Who cries for the children we kill and say it's okay, just collateral damage, or just a tiny blot not yet a person?

New gun control laws will get rid of some guns, but not all. Anyone who really wants to do damage does not need a gun anyway, but they will still be available. After all, they won't stop making them...the USA is the world's largest arms manufacturer, and I doubt that will ever change.

So, how will you take guns from Americans? You know what the NRA might say, "when they pull it from my cold dead hand", even though it will probably still be warm and twitching maybe.

But, I hope my point is made. The only way to disarm the American people is to declare war on them. I promise you, it will be civil war. So, it won't happen, I'm very sure.

So post some guards to protect the children. It's not insane, and it creates jobs.

...and stop being so high and mighty righteous. It takes all kinds to make the human race. Who wants a world where everyone thinks alike and has the same interests and outlook?

Not me, especially if it means I have to think abortion and war are moral.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:17 pm 

There is no debate.

Just do as I say and no one gets hurt.

A rope leash wrote:

Okay...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:58 pm 

Adriads i gonna kill somebody :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:05 pm 

A rope leash wrote:

In every John Wayne movie,he's taken guns away from sombody.Most are Native American or Japanese for some reason.But every once in awhile he catches a no-good thievin' skunk of an American and he takes their guns away from them,before he gives them to the local sheriff (usually Ward Bond) to hang.

The Dukes dead.What are we gonna do now Wally! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:12 pm 

Caputh wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
Caputh wrote:
Blame the UN then, don't blame me. :P (BTW Spain and Portugal look pretty west on my map, south-west admittedly, but west all the same. But perhaps the map you are using is the same one that informed you that "technically" the UK and Ireland don't belong to Europe )

Give me a break.

No, Spain and Portugal are not west, they're south, or south-west AT BEST, which is a major stretch. And again, there are PLENTY of people who disagree that Ireland and UK are part of Europe.

Anyway, the point here is that report is NOT credible.

I see! So, by the the same token San Diego is in the south of the USA, "plenty of people" appear to have decided that the UK and Ireland belong to the new continent of "Madeuppia" and the UN report on the amount of homicides committed in what they describe as "West and Central Europe" is unreliable because their definition of "West and Central Europe" invalidates their statistics!

ONE. MORE. TIME. FOR. THE. WORLD.:

Give me a break.

Spain and Portugal are not west, they're south, or south-west AT BEST, which is a major stretch. And again, there are PLENTY of people who disagree that Ireland and UK are part of Europe.

Anyway, the point here is that since the report can't even tell you where certain countries are specifically & correctly located, the report is NOT credible.

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:46 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
And again, there are PLENTY of people who disagree that Ireland and UK are part of Europe.

Ireland is very much part of Europe, not just geographically, but also in other ways. It is a member of the EU, the European Union, and uses the Euro as its currency. Britain is part of the continent of Europe and member country of the European Union too.

Using the arguement that plenty of people believe something does not make it true. There are plenty of people in the world who believe sex with animals is right. Does this prove them right, the fact that some people agree with them?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:16 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
tweedle-dee wrote:
That should fit his bully boy mode perfectly, although he is more of the on-line type, they can hide behind their anonymity... :smoke:

Says the poster who doesn't take responsibility for his actions because of not being able to back up his claims against me that state I've made "out-right lies" & " half-truths."

I am responsible Human Being and when dealing with out right lies and half truths nothing more needs to be said...they speak for themselves, you're your own worst enemy, how unfortunate... :smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:15 am 

duchamp wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
And again, there are PLENTY of people who disagree that Ireland and UK are part of Europe.

Ireland is very much part of Europe, not just geographically, but also in other ways. It is a member of the EU, the European Union, and uses the Euro as its currency. Britain is part of the continent of Europe and member country of the European Union too.

Looking at it closer, Ireland probably is. As for the UK, I'm still not convinced.

duchamp wrote:
Using the arguement that plenty of people believe something does not make it true. There are plenty of people in the world who believe sex with animals is right. Does this prove them right, the fact that some people agree with them?

But it doesn't necessarily make it untrue either.

tweedle-dee wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
tweedle-dee wrote:
That should fit his bully boy mode perfectly, although he is more of the on-line type, they can hide behind their anonymity... :smoke:

Says the poster who doesn't take responsibility for his actions because of not being able to back up his claims against me that state I've made "out-right lies" & " half-truths."

I am responsible Human Being and when dealing with out right lies and half truths nothing more needs to be said...they speak for themselves, you're your own worst enemy, how unfortunate... :smoke:

You STILL haven't proven your claims that I've made "out-right lies" or "half-truths."

Shit or get off the pot... :roll:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

Last edited by Disco Boy on Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:22 am 

Duchamp: in your argumentation you claim already that sex with animals is wrong. Actually it's bible-approved (what do you think Adam did before Eve was made?) and it's a culture thing, bigger in some nations than others (In Neth it's only recently been outlawed). Also, Kinsey's research found some 13% of people doing it.
I agree with your point, in fact in rhetorics it's called an argumentum ad populum and it's a known fallacy, but your analogy is flawed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:50 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
Looking at it closer, Ireland probably is. As for the UK, I'm still not convinced.

Ah, I see again.
Soooo, the United Kingdom has its own continent.
What is its name, please?
And what about Northern Ireland btw?
Because the complete name of the United Kingdom is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Does Northern Ireland belong to Europe and the rest of the UK not- like European and Asian Turkey?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:42 am 

Face it, Discodouche: You don't know your ass from a hole in the ground. In fact, you claim that hole in the ground as yours and deny your own ass. Personally, I've always wondered why Europe and Asia are considered separate continents. They aren't. Geologically speaking, India has a better claim to separate continental status than Europe does.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:01 am 

BBP wrote:
Duchamp: in your argumentation you claim already that sex with animals is wrong. Actually it's bible-approved (what do you think Adam did before Eve was made?) and it's a culture thing, bigger in some nations than others (In Neth it's only recently been outlawed). Also, Kinsey's research found some 13% of people doing it.
I agree with your point, in fact in rhetorics it's called an argumentum ad populum and it's a known fallacy, but your analogy is flawed.

You are certainly correct and I was trying to pick a topic that would have little controversy for laziness sake. As far as I am concerned, all things are up for debate when discussing whether something ir "right" or "wrong". These are always subjective claims. I would even go so far as to say that any person claiming they absolutely know anything is questionable, but that is usually my own issue. If a person is to expect some sort of notion of truth based on "most people beleive it to be so" they are fooling themselves. I would go as far as to say it is impossible for anyone to prove to me that Britain even exists, since I am not looking at it at this exact moment, but I digress.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:45 am 

duchamp wrote:
I would go as far as to say it is impossible for anyone to prove to me that Britain even exists, since I am not looking at it at this exact moment, but I digress.

It doesn't.
And I should know.
I'm British. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:50 am 

BBP wrote:
It's the stupidest idea I've ever heard. I know what I (self-professed child hater since childhood) would eventually do if I was stuck every day in a school with pesky kids and a gun in my hand. Besides, wee ones could easily snatch a gun out of teacher's pocket.

Thanks for posting that page, simplex II, very interesting read!

They are already here in some US schools. Usually at the middle school or high school levels. They are called School Resource Officers (SRO's).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:09 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:17 pm 

Attack on a bakery in Syria kills dozens. :(

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:57 pm 

Does Amazon have that book, or do I have to go to Toys 'R' Us?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9440 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234 ... 378  Next