Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247 ... 379  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:38 am 

just plain doug wrote:
… I own one because it's fun to make it go BANG! …

I will never understand the fun of this. Not for grown people. You people seem to be really anxious that someday, sooner or later, somebody might take your favourite toys away from you.

At this moment, getting fun out of operating a gun, seems to be one of the most stupid things I can imagine.

Th.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:11 am 

Pope is stepping down, first time in 600 years!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:28 am 

Plook wrote:

Didn't you already lie about Jim in the other thread :wink:

No, but seriously, this is the kind of breaking news the world needs - the best statement from that office since the Second Vatican Council - probably the best in 600 years 8)

Last edited by DC Boogie on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:37 am 

If you haven't seen the HBO documentary Mea Maximum Culpa yet, I'd recommend it. It makes it pretty plain that the Pope has been the most knowlegeable person the regarding Priest/Child molestation, while silence on the issue has allowed more molestation to take place. I can't help but believe that this documentary is forcing this to happen.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:51 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
Mij wrote:
Joe Biden ia politician. Like all politicians, he'll say one thing one day and the contrary the other day. He's not THE champion in lying. Remember Bush ? The all-time low-down dirty rat.

The point here is Biden knows that stricter gun laws aren't going to make a major difference. :roll:

Mij wrote:
And, like it or not, less guns = less mass killings. A simple math. Christ, why is so hard to get for some peoples ?
Like less cold virus = less cold, less junk food = less cholesterol, less money = less buying power, etc....
A simple matter of substraction.

There's very little truth to that. In some very small countries like Australia that appears to be true but it's certainly not true in the vast majority of them. Re-read the stats pedro2 and I have posted regarding this issue...

Mij wrote:
You love your guns too much, it's your new mommy. You used it to protect you from fear of dictatorship, and all your other fears.
And you need it to protect you from fellows who have guns. I'm sure you don't get the irony.
As a society, you painted yourself in a corner. There are many countries in this world that live without that gun craziness.
We don't hear them often in the news for mass shooting, not as often as USA for sure.
You face your fears with a gun.

Tell me, when you go to crowded places, do you bring it with you ? Do you have your AK47 by your side, or a small hand gun in your pocket ? Do you look into everybody's eyes to see if you can find something you don't trust ? Are you nervous ? Do you sweat ? Do you analyse peoples reactions as they pass by ? Are you always ready to shoot when hearing unsuspected loud noises ? Do you think you'll have time to react when pointed by a gun ? Are you tempted to leave the children in the car just in case ? Are you happy to live in such a paranoid state of mind ? Wouldn't you prefer to go to crowded places without all that crap ?

Only in America ! :smoke:

I don't own or use guns, nor do I like them. But I do believe you should have the right to protect yourself if you choose to. Pay attention. :roll:

Even a minor difference is better than no difference at all.
There's so many countries who does pretty well without that gun craziness, just take them as examples and stop thinking USA is a different place and that it won't work there. Why ? Because you're stupider than the rest of the world ? In my sense, you're stupider if you continue shooting yourselves and do nothing to greatly reduce the using of guns.

You live in a very paranoid place. You fear the deranged one with a gun. You can't predict when and where it's goin' to happen but you know it will. Instead of disarming, at the best you can, that deranged nut, you prefer arming yourself, thus increasing the risk (who's to say you're gonna stay sane all your life), or hoping for a miracle. In my sense, that's stupid and it solves nothing.
But, have it you way. Only Americans shooting other Americans ! :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:16 am 

Disco Boy wrote:

Well, I disagree. I think you would still be able to protect yourself against Government/authority forces or ANYBODY who poses a threat to you or your family, if anarchy developed, regardless of the results.

Did guns help protect Koresh and the Davidians? Sure, he was a religious nutjob, and deserved what he got. However, the point is, the government will not be stopped by your guns if they decide you are wrong or they want them.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/blwacoguns.htm

"In total, the Texas Department of Public Safety, led by the Texas
Rangers, recovered more than 300 firearms from the Branch
Davidian compound. In addition, a number of live grenades and
more than 300 grenade components were uncovered. Hundreds of
thousands of rounds of ammunition were also seized."

I'll happily concede your strict definition of anarchy argument, but still insist the idea that the 2nd Amendment is there, EVEN ONLY IN PART, to protect citizens from the government is naive at best. They simply cannot be outgunned, and believing they can creates a false sense of security for those who think they actually would stand a chance if the government decides you are wrong, or they want your stuff.

By the way, don't believe what the others say. Typing in big letters is really cool, and does not make you look silly, immature or desperate.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:27 am 

duchamp, I'm not sure getting burned to death was what the Davidians "deserved".

The event does provide ample evidence of what gun confiscation might look like, only many times over. The idea of it should make any government wonder if they could ever disarm the entire population, and how much resistance they will begin to encounter as they go about the attempt.

With the new GWB "fer us or agin us" attitude, gun owners will become "terrorists". They might be treated as any other "insurgent", and a few displays of this will only cause others to board up and fight. We're talking civil war, with traitorous soldiers killing their own countrymen.

I doubt it will happen. They might try, but it will get way too ugly for pampered Americans to tolerate.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:33 am 

You have to figure about half of those soldiers would desert rather than fire on their own countrymen. I know I would. (For the record, I served three years and was cordially invited not to reenlist.)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:34 am 

A rope leash wrote:
duchamp, I'm not sure getting burned to death was what the Davidians "deserved".

The event does provide ample evidence of what gun confiscation might look like, only many times over. The idea of it should make any government wonder if they could ever disarm the entire population, and how much resistance they will begin to encounter as they go about the attempt.

With the new GWB "fer us or agin us" attitude, gun owners will become "terrorists". They might be treated as any other "insurgent", and a few displays of this will only cause others to board up and fight. We're talking civil war, with traitorous soldiers killing their own countrymen.

I doubt it will happen. They might try, but it will get way too ugly for pampered Americans to tolerate.

I actually admit I don't know exactly what happened to the Davidians. If they were burned to death then I agree, that was not deserved. If they were arrested for their crimes, and had their weapons taken away, that was deserved. (I have just read up on the topic and their death sounds pretty horrific). And yes, I fully think any attempt to completely disarm the population is not even worth considering. Their are simply far too many guns out there to take them back at this point. The cat is out of the bag. I would love to live in a world without them, but they are here to stay.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:32 am 

It would not be ordinary troops that would carry out confiscation. I would think that it would begin at the county level. They will send out the sheriffs first. The funding would have to come from whatever governmental entity that was requesting the action. That's another thing about laws...enforcement must be funded.

Not that Federal forces wouldn't nose-in the moment shit hits the fan.

I'm just speculating. I'm not sure what the current gun-control media frenzy will bring. They will probably pass a few laws, and some people will turn in their most powerful weapons while others wait for the law to find them. All the politicians want is to look like they did something about guns. I really don't think they have the brass to confiscate on a large scale.

To me, it's obvious guns will be around. It's not a middle of the road non-issue. We can ban all guns, or some guns, but guns are going to be around. We need to decide that concealed carry for non-medicated persons with clean backgrounds will not be the least bit unusual.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:16 pm 

The people who control what we all talk about have already made their decisions.

Fuck the gun issue. Let's skip all the bullshit and get real. Let's talk about why we allow anyone to gain power over anyone else.

The statement "Don't bite the hand that feeds you" is a bunch of shit. If you are a physically able adult and not able to feed yourself, it is because someone else is preventing you from feeding yourself. Or they are preventing you from the knowledge it takes to feed yourself. The reason they are preventing you from feeding yourself is because they want to be the ones to feed you. Your stomach is the key to your will. They want to control you. Therefore, you should always bite the hand that feeds you. Eat the hand that feeds you!

Our feelings on gun control will not be taken into account by the ones who have the power. They are gonna build more prisons and make more shit illegal. It's good business. This whole gun thing is just another way to make us think about divisive crap instead of trying to bridge the gaps between us. This discussion and media attention on guns will sadly lead to even more divisive hatred. Talking about guns will lead to more shootings.

Mij wrote:
You live in a very paranoid place.

He lives in Canada.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:52 pm 

Mij wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
I don't own or use guns, nor do I like them. But I do believe you should have the right to protect yourself if you choose to. Pay attention. :roll:

Even a minor difference is better than no difference at all.
There's so many countries who does pretty well without that gun craziness, just take them as examples and stop thinking USA is a different place and that it won't work there. Why ? Because you're stupider than the rest of the world ? In my sense, you're stupider if you continue shooting yourselves and do nothing to greatly reduce the using of guns.

You live in a very paranoid place. You fear the deranged one with a gun. You can't predict when and where it's goin' to happen but you know it will. Instead of disarming, at the best you can, that deranged nut, you prefer arming yourself, thus increasing the risk (who's to say you're gonna stay sane all your life), or hoping for a miracle. In my sense, that's stupid and it solves nothing.
But, have it you way. Only Americans shooting other Americans ! :roll:

It's as if you're even not reading a god damn word I'm saying? You're TOTALLY missing the point here. Most stats indicate and/or prove otherwise. Get back to me when you discover that most of those "many countries" have NOWHERE near the population of the US. And there are PLENTY of other countries where gun crimes are common, it's not just the US. :roll:

duchamp wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
Well, I disagree. I think you would still be able to protect yourself against Government/authority forces or ANYBODY who poses a threat to you or your family, if anarchy developed, regardless of the results.

Did guns help protect Koresh and the Davidians? Sure, he was a religious nutjob, and deserved what he got. However, the point is, the government will not be stopped by your guns if they decide you are wrong or they want them.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/blwacoguns.htm

"In total, the Texas Department of Public Safety, led by the Texas
Rangers, recovered more than 300 firearms from the Branch
Davidian compound. In addition, a number of live grenades and
more than 300 grenade components were uncovered. Hundreds of
thousands of rounds of ammunition were also seized."

I'll happily concede your strict definition of anarchy argument, but still insist the idea that the 2nd Amendment is there, EVEN ONLY IN PART, to protect citizens from the government is naive at best. They simply cannot be outgunned, and believing they can creates a false sense of security for those who think they actually would stand a chance if the government decides you are wrong, or they want your stuff.

By the way, don't believe what the others say. Typing in big letters is really cool, and does not make you look silly, immature or desperate.

ONE. MORE. TIME. FOR. THE. WORLD.:

I disagree. I think you would still be able to protect yourself against Government/authority forces or ANYBODY who poses a threat to you or your family, if anarchy developed, regardless of the results.

I have no idea why you're so gung-ho about this particular issue - it's not even my main point.

And singling out a tragedy like the Koresh incident isn't going to prove your point...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:34 am 

Hi, Disco, would you please refrain from shouting? My ears are getting fatigued...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:44 am 

Plook wrote:

It was clear from the beginning that the aging Ratzinger would be a transitional character, although noone could predict his abdication. The next guy will probably be a healthy middle-aged man and will possibly influence the church for decades, like Wojtyla. It'll be interesting to see who they elect. Conservative or liberal? I would think conservative, since that's been the trend for more than 30 years now, after the Second VC took the reactionaries by surprise. But will he be a puppet or an independent thinker? And crucially - will he want to investigate the child abuse problem in depth and make amends? I believe Ratzinger wanted to do that, but didn't have the strength. Worst-case scenario: The cardinals elect a middle-aged conservative with greed for power and a vested interest in covering up the monkey business.

But what do I know, a secularised Scandinavian Protestant. Any thoughts from you Catholic Boys 'n' Girls?

Last edited by DC Boogie on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:46 am 

So Disco Boy lives in Canada ? Fine. With Harper at the wheel, it looks like we're fast becoming USA #2. No need to rejoice here.

Sorry, DB, I don't buy your arguments. If one wants to eliminate greatly mass murders with weapons, you either eliminate weapons, or peoples shooting them. My daughter lives in France. In regard of ratio, they don't have mass murders like in USA. They have a greater control on who can owns a gun and what type. Although, I don't think it's enough regulation.

And capitalizing your text only means you're exasperated. Normal reaction when one senses he's losing it. Calm yourself down.

If you're Canadian, why do you care ? It's only Americans shooting other Americans, right ? And they love it that way. Forget Newtown. That's my last thought. They want to shoot themselves, they don't want to seriously solve the problem (NRA ideas are not in any means a solution), let them have their way. Why not make it a daily TV show ? ("The Big Bang Therapy") And sell more guns ? Hey, why not teach kids how to use it in Kindergarten ? And let them bring it in schools ? To be on par with a possible killer. They could force everyone to have a gun with them 24/7. In every place. Let the climate of paranoia rise to its highest. Beware if you don't look right to me ! Let the shooting begins, Hallelujah ! Isn't it great to be an American ! Salute to the Flag ! Honor to the Founding Fathers !! Hail to the 2nd amendment !!! :smoke:

Last edited by Mij on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:48 am 

Mij wrote:
Sorry, DC, I don't buy your arguments.

Typo - I'm not in the gun fight :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:52 am 

DC Boogie wrote:
Mij wrote:
Sorry, DC, I don't buy your arguments.

Typo - I'm not in the gun fight :smoke:

Oupss... my miss ! Corrected ! :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:09 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
I disagree. I think you would still be able to protect yourself against Government/authority forces or ANYBODY who poses a threat to you or your family, if anarchy developed, regardless of the results.

I have no idea why you're so gung-ho about this particular issue - it's not even my main point.

And singling out a tragedy like the Koresh incident isn't going to prove your point...

See, you always go on about having so much compelling evidence to back up your claim, yet this is the third time you have responded to this same argument with no evidence. Your opinion is not proof. Also, maybe if you see all of these together, you will get it:

Mij wrote:
And capitalizing your text only means you're exasperated. Normal reaction when one senses he's losing it. Calm yourself down.

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Hi, Disco, would you please refrain from shouting? My ears are getting fatigued...

duchamp wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:32 am 

For all the fun I poke at the Canadians, I ran into 3 gents from Quebec at the Dallas airport, they had distictive French accents, we chatted for a while and had some good laughs while we had a smoke fest...very nice men... :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:28 am 

Next Pope to oversee "end of days", according to ancient prophecy:

http://investmentwatchblog.com/petrus-r ... d-of-days/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:28 am 

A rope leash wrote:
Next Pope to oversee "end of days", according to ancient prophecy:

http://investmentwatchblog.com/petrus-r ... d-of-days/

Seems legit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:45 am 

Rope, maybe yer serious or maybe not, I can't tell. I know some here take alternate spirituality seriously, others not so much. But, Pope prophesies originating from the same place that you get your investment advice? Are you being ironic or not? I'm guessing its a National Enquirer type of post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:11 am 

I picked up the link at www.whatreallyhappened.com

The story is elsewhere on the web, as well. I don't put any stock in the truth of it, but I do think that 900 year-old prophecies are interesting. I guess the investment blog running this story want all of its readers to be aware that their investments may be coming into troubled waters.

I'm sure people invest on flimsier advice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:01 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

Do what I did: set him on ignore. He just copies and pastes the same shit over and over anyway...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:48 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247 ... 379  Next