Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9714 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273 ... 389  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:12 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
BBP wrote:
I'm a Pastafari actually. Lots of fun!

Deal on Cyprus is through: people who saved their money on a Leika-account will lose all savings over 100,000 euros.

That'll effect Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Israel, Lebanon, and Syria and all the people that had their money stashed in an offshore banking account in Cypress. Those banks are getting a lot of free money this way. I wonder if they'll open all those safety boxes too, for the extra cash and hidden assets! All very legal of course. :roll:

The money in the mattress savings scheme could be a winner..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:33 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
BBP wrote:
I'm a Pastafari actually. Lots of fun!

Deal on Cyprus is through: people who saved their money on a Leika-account will lose all savings over 100,000 euros.

That'll effect Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Israel, Lebanon, and Syria and all the people that had their money stashed in an offshore banking account in Cypress. Those banks are getting a lot of free money this way. I wonder if they'll open all those safety boxes too, for the extra cash and hidden assets! All very legal of course. :roll:

The money in the mattress savings scheme could be a winner..

The Russian rich are having a fit over this. They're losing millions that they've stashed off shore in Cyprus.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:53 pm 

I see a real problem with this.

If one small country can do this , and other somewhat larger countries agree to way this bailout worked , where will it stop ?
Will it become accepted that this form of confiscation of personal property is , in fact , a form of patriotism ?

It's set at 130,000 euros and above , but what if that isn't enough to satisfy the IMF ?

Will all the countries under the Euro rule be also advised that this should be the only parachute that saves economies ?

I have no interests in Russia of Cyprus , but this kind of treatment of a country's own people , is a dangerous slippery slope and the reigning government of ALL countries should be the first to take the hit.

Just my opinion and I'm fully aware of where some of the money in Cyprus comes from. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:17 pm 

The appropriate term is called eminent domain.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictiona ... ent+domain

Just like all of these cowardly gun chumps and their 2nd Amendment rights, eminent domain is protected in the 5th amendment...where are the Teabaggers on this issue?

http://constitution.findlaw.com/amendme ... ion14.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:33 pm 

Frankenveggies: Monsanto Protection Act passes Senate

Monday, March 25, 2013 - A World in our Backyard by Laura Sesana

WASHINGTON, March 25, 2013 — Last week, the U.S. Senate approved HR 933, a short term funding measure designed to avoid a March 27 government shutdown. Hidden within HR 933 is section 735, the “Farmer Assurance Provision.”

Called the “Monsanto Protection Act” by critics, this section gives the USDA the power to allow the planting, harvest and sale of genetically engineered crops, even if a court rules that they were not properly approved. Short of a Presidential veto, the provision is a certain victory for genetically engineered foods.

In the past, if a court ruled that a genetically engineered crop was not properly approved by USDA and could pose a risk to health or the environment, the court could halt its planting and sale, pending a review of the approval. This so-called “biotech rider” effectively strips courts of this power and allows the production and commercialization of the crop during the appeals process.

The provision was slipped in anonymously while the resolution was in the Senate Appropriations Committee, chaired by Senator Barbara Mikulski (D-MD). The rider should have been brought in front of the Agricultural or Judiciary Committees, but was not. Senator John Tester (D-MT) proposed an amendment to strip section 735 from the bill, but the amendment never came up for a vote. According to the Center for Food Safety, there were no hearings on this provision and most Democrats did not know it was part of the larger bill.

Full story

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:35 pm 

This Monsanto Protection Act is similar of what Haliburton is doing. It is seeking to get government protection so that the side effects of fracking for natural gas (undrinkable water for one thing,and decreased property values for another) will just be swept under the rug. It goes anywhere it chooses and if it destroys your land, you have no course of action. :P

I signed on the line for seven long years.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:56 am 

Shark with 2 heads found.
http://science.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/25/17458690-2-heads-not-always-better-than-1-like-on-a-shark?lite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:17 am 

BBP wrote:

And they tried to tell me this movie was far-fetched!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:13 am 

just plain doug wrote:
BBP wrote:

And they tried to tell me this movie was far-fetched!

Did Jeb Bush supply the counting machine used to ascertain the number of teeth in the two headed shark?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:01 pm 

pedro2 wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:

You think it's funny making personal threats pedro2?

Who the fuck did I supposedly threaten now , Space douche ??

You or Ronnis ??

Neither one of you assholes have the guts to spew in person , what you spew on here .

Calling people Nazis , racists , republicunts and other ' loving ' terms. :roll:

You want a threat SpaceHead ? Come to a few neighborhoods in this town , nah , we'll go across the river to Kentucky and I'll show you some real racists , and you can spew what you have on this forum , for the past 5 years , and then we'll see just how many gun barrels fit in your mouth. I don't even know those people across the river , but I'm sure if we try hard enough , we can find some that would LOVE to threaten you.

You two get your britches all up in arms because some asshole says something negative about your idol. What's the matter , you Democrats ? Against free speech or something like that ? Hmmm ..That word ' hypocrite ' just keeps coming back around again.

Or maybe the real reason for all your offensive talk is that you are really being defensive because your black man in the Oval room can fuck up just as bad a white , or should I say ' Cracker ' , can ?

I happen to believe that Obummer has fucked this country , and world , up just as bad a Jimmy Carter did in one term and as more that Bush ever could do , even as bad as he was in his 2nd term.

Now fire back with something like ' See ?? Pedro said BLACK man in a negative way . Waaaaa.. See ? I told you he was rasict ! See ??? '

Spare me , please :roll:

I'm going to go ahead and bump this one back up, because obviously, this is still a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:12 pm 

Please, take it elsewhere!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:23 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

This is important and so I quote it again. Spacey, there's plenty of places where people like you can squabble and argue with everyone. It's extremely tiresome and you've rendered a very interesting thread completely useless. Stop being so immature. This goes for everybody who is fighting.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:23 pm 

BBP wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

This is important and so I quote it again. Spacey, there's plenty of places where people like you can squabble and argue with everyone. It's extremely tiresome and you've rendered a very interesting thread completely useless. Stop being so immature. This goes for everybody who is fighting.

I agree, it get's in the way of Breaking News... that's new. This is old business and you have the power to put it in our faces or not. I'm asking you not to do this for the above stated reasons. That doesn't mean anyone disagrees or does agree with you. It's just not the time or place to make points with anyone here. Thanx Spacebro'. :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:57 pm 

I want to talk about two-headed shark babies!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:33 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
I want to talk about two-headed shark babies!

Caption: He was bitten on both legs (cheeks) at the same time......now you know why and how! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:07 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
pedro2 wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:

You think it's funny making personal threats pedro2?

Who the fuck did I supposedly threaten now , Space douche ??

You or Ronnis ??

Neither one of you assholes have the guts to spew in person , what you spew on here .

Calling people Nazis , racists , republicunts and other ' loving ' terms. :roll:

HEY PEDRO, LEAVE ME OUT. IN CASE YOU HAVEN'T NOTICED, I'M NOT PART OF THIS ARGUMENT.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:21 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
BBP wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

I agree, it get's in the way of Breaking News... that's new. This is old business and you have the power to put it in our faces or not. I'm asking you not to do this for the above stated reasons. That doesn't mean anyone disagrees or does agree with you. It's just not the time or place to make points with anyone here. Thanx Spacebro'. :idea:

Sorry guys. :oops:

I'll make a concious effort to not diminish the enjoyment of the forum for you guys. I've said what I've felt the need to say regarding this issue in another thread.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:35 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
I'll make a concious effort to not diminish the enjoyment of the forum for you guys. I've said what I've felt the need to say regarding this issue in another thread.

Thanks Spacebro'! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:18 am 

Scientists examine nothing, find something

Two studies of vacuums suggest that the speed of light in a vacuum might fluctuate, pointing the way to a quantum mechanical explanation for why the speed of light and other so-called constants are what they are.

By Eoin O'Carroll, Staff / March 25, 2013

Where did the speed of light in a vacuum come from? Why is it 299,792,458 meters per second and not some other figure?

The simple answer is that, since 1983, science has defined a meter by the speed of light: one meter equals the distance light travels in one 299,792,458th of a second. But that doesn't really answer our question. It's just the physics equivalent of saying, "Because I said so."

Unfortunately, the deeper answer has been equally unsatisfying: The speed of light in a vacuum, according to physics textbooks, just is. It's a constant, one of those numbers that defines the universe. That's the physics equivalent of saying, "Because the cosmos said so."

Or did it? A pair of studies suggest that this universal constant might not be so constant after all. In the first study, Marcel Urban from the University of Paris-Sud and his team found that the speed of light in a vacuum varies ever so slightly.

This happens because what we think of as nothing isn't really nothing. Even if you were to create a perfect vacuum, at the quantum level it would still be populated with pairs of tiny "virtual" particles that flash in and out of existence and whose energy values fluctuate. As a consequence of these fluctuations, the speed of a photon passing through a vacuum varies, about 50 quintillionths of a second per square meter.

That may not sound like much, but it's enough to point the way toward a new underlying physics.

Full story

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:52 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:

Thanks Spacebro'! 8)

Now that has miles on it !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:36 am 

New Asterix comic book announced for autumn 2013. This will be the very first issue written/drawn by the new artist team Jean-Yves Ferri and Didier Conrad.
http://www.lexpress.fr/culture/livre/asterix-chez-les-pictes-sera-le-35e-album-du-gaulois_1234927.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:55 am 

Ex-Florida GOP chair gets 1½ years for stealing
By MIKE SCHNEIDER, Associated Press
Updated 11:31 am, Wednesday, March 27, 2013

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — The former chairman of the Republican Party of Florida was sentenced Wednesday to one-and-a-half years for stealing $125,000 in party funds, completing the fall of a man who once was one of the most powerful political figures in the state.

Jim Greer was sentenced in Orlando, more than a month after he pleaded guilty to four counts of theft and a single county of money laundering. The guilty pleas ended Greer's trial before it even started.

Circuit Judge Marc Lubet handed down a sentence that was less severe than the three-and-a-half years in prison requested by prosecutors. Lubet explained that he went with a more lenient sentence because Greer had agreed to pay restitution.

The trial had threatened to expose the underbelly of Florida's dominant political party and its formerly high-spending ways. Some of Florida's most powerful politicians were scheduled as witnesses, including former Gov. Charlie Crist, former U.S. Sen. George LeMieux, former Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum and several state House and state Senate leaders.

Topics covered in pretrial depositions included allegations of prostitutes at a state GOP fundraiser in the Bahamas, the drinking habits of Crist and intraparty strife.

Prosecutors said Greer funneled almost $200,000 to a company he had formed with his right-hand man, Delmar Johnson. He kept $125,000 of the money funneled to Victory Strategies for himself.

Full story

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:21 pm 

ursinator wrote:
New Asterix comic book announced for autumn 2013. This will be the very first issue written/drawn by the new artist team Jean-Yves Ferri and Didier Conrad.
http://www.lexpress.fr/culture/livre/asterix-chez-les-pictes-sera-le-35e-album-du-gaulois_1234927.html

I think that's a bit sad. Ever since the death of Goscinny, the Asterix books have been going steadily downhill - the depths were really plumbed with "Asterix and the Falling Sky". Now it's just being turned into a complete and utter franchise. I always respected Hergés decision to let Tintin die with him (although I sometimes dream of reading a Tintin I've never seen before) - I wish Uderzo would have followed his example and just let it be after Goscinny's death...

Last edited by Caputh on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:36 pm 

ursinator wrote:

Another one to buy for the collector that I am. Hope it'll be better than the last one.
I read that Uderzo is now 85 years old. All the classic ones are going one by one. Tibet and Tabary recently. And I also read that Fred has drawed his last Philemon. And Gotlib doesn't work anymore because of his back.
My ol' heroes are gone, in Rock and in Comics. Sad time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:24 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — The former chairman of the Republican Party of Florida was sentenced......
Topics covered in pretrial depositions included allegations of prostitutes at a state GOP fundraiser in the Bahamas, the drinking habits of Crist and intraparty strife.

..and here I thought the GOP hated sex and only did the nasty (with the lights off) when making new Republicans!
Why do the GOP act so outraged when a Democrat gets some head in the White house then? Jealous? Their both doing the same thing only the GOP is always outraged by these activities when it's a Democrat on the other side.Not so much media the other way around. Hmm....is the media slanted toward the GOP and vilifying the Dems for a natural act they both do?
:?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9714 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273 ... 389  Next