Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275 ... 382  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:14 am 

According to Wiki... all of whom are said to have died in strange circumstances: one in a "bizarre gardening accident", another "choked on vomit, but not his own vomit", and two from "spontaneous human combustion" onstage. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:09 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
According to Wiki... all of whom are said to have died in strange circumstances: one in a "bizarre gardening accident", another "choked on vomit, but not his own vomit", and two from "spontaneous human combustion" onstage. :)

If you gotta go, I hope it's a far out and different end of trip death and not just another statistic. How boring! Another's vomit, now that's just gross, but it does make you wonder who's vomit did he have in him when he died? Sounds like he passed out in a Roman Vomitorium. He died in a RV accident. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:14 am 

NASA puts Mars rover on a month-long hiatus

NASA halts communication with Curiosity to avoid any interference during a period when the sun is blocking Earth-to-Mars transmission signals.
by Dara Kerr April 4, 2013 8:41 PM PDT

For the first time since its descent onto the red planet, the Mars rover Curiosity is getting a little alone time.

The rover and NASA scientists are having a communication breakdown, of sorts. But, not to worry, no hurt feelings are involved. The issue is that the sun has got in the way.

Once every 26 months, as the Earth and Mars rotate around the sun, the two planets end up on opposite sides of the star in an event called the Mars solar conjunction. Because of the sun's massive size, any communication sent between the two planets can be easily disrupted.

Not wanting to take any chances and send Curiosity or other Mars rovers scrambled directions, NASA shuts down all communications with its rovers for the time period in which the sun is in the way. This typically lasts about four weeks.

"We have plenty of useful experience dealing with them, though each conjunction is a little different," Chris Potts, NASA's mission manager for the Mars Odyssey rover, said in a statement. "The biggest difference for this 2013 conjunction is having Curiosity on Mars."

To prepare for the month off, NASA scientists give the rovers directions of what to do beforehand, which keeps the rovers busy working during those weeks. According to NASA, Curiosity may have up to 12 GB of data accumulated by the time it can make contact with NASA again.

Communication with Curiosity was suspended today and is expected to be back up again around May 1.

Full story

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:10 am 

Real far out stuff, I get the NASA daily update. It's amazing what we can do when we work together. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:45 am 

My son is very excited.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:21 pm 

Sad news for the fans of Monkey Island and Grim Fandango: the LucasArts game studio is being closed down.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:05 pm 

Caputh wrote:
My son is very excited.

Can you break it down a little Caputh? I mean it could just be puberty or does "Breaking News......" excite him all the time? Is it The Mars Rover stuff? That's always cool for kids big or small! 8) but :? in Davis.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:31 pm 

Mars and I ain't talking bars.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:57 pm 

Caputh wrote:
Mars and I ain't talking bars.

Unclinch, I was just foolin' around Caputh. :) Does he want to pursue space exploration as a goal?
Cool stuff, eh? Far out how they program the rover to work while the sun eclipses Mars from our radio transmissions, then have to wait for the results. I wish there was a way I could be the driver, picking up samples on planets in other galaxies. The next frontier! Glad your kids into this stuff, it's the future. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:16 am 

So was I! :) He's interested in anything to do with space. He wants to become an Astrophysicist; he's slightly hampered by the fact that he finds "normal" physics very boring.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:20 am 

Caputh wrote:
So was I! :) He's interested in anything to do with space. He wants to become an Astrophysicist; he's slightly hampered by the fact that he finds "normal" physics very boring.

That's very cool, you must be proud of him. How old and what grade is he?
Chat?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:25 am 

I'd love to chat (honestly), but my bath is running upstairs - I'll get back to ya!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:29 am 

Caputh wrote:
I'd love to chat (honestly), but my bath is running upstairs - I'll get back to ya!

I can barely keep my eyes open, it's bed time, big time here. I'll talk to you tomorrow Caputh, ok?. {-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:35 am 

Kim Jong-Un looks like he is on drugs. As, indeed, the commentator sounds like he might have had a toot or two...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22039374
Groovy music tho' -get down!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:23 pm 

Caputh wrote:
Kim Jong-Un looks like he is on drugs. As, indeed, the commentator sounds like he might have had a toot or two...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22039374
Groovy music tho' -get down!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zu3rlYKrlk

I laughed 'til I stopped at Jon Stewart's remark ( at 1:12) about the North Korean newscaster (at 0:42). :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:50 pm 

Women's rights activists stage international 'Topless Jihad' day

Scores of scantily clad women grabbed attention at mosques and Tunisian embassies all over Europe on Thursday by participating in “Topless Jihad” rallies to protest what they say is an Islamist crackdown on Arab women’s rights.

AFP reported the Ukrainian women’s power group Femen staged the rallies in several European capitals, including Paris, Berlin, and Kiev, to spotlight the case of Tunisian activist Amina Tyler. Tyler caused controversy last month when she posted online photos of herself with the words “My body belongs to me” and “F--- your morals” emblazoned across her naked breasts (though she fully spelled out the operative verb).

Now her supporters fear she may be criminally prosecuted for her act.

Police in Kiev immediately detained two young female activists who wrote “Free Amina” on their chests when they arrived at a local mosque. An AFP photographer witnessed police deterring some two dozen bare-breasted feminists tagged with “No Islamists” messages in Paris as they approached the Tunisian embassy there.

"We're free, we're naked, it's our right, it's our body it's our rules, and nobody can use religion and some other holy things to abuse women, to oppress them," Femen member Alexandra Shevchenko told AFP at a small protest at a Berlin mosque.

The fair, balanced and naked truth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:35 pm 

Opinion: Canadian Science Under Attack

Government policies are shuttering research facilities while muzzling federal researchers by dissuading them from talking to the press, participating in international collaborations, or publishing their work.

By Heather E. Douglas | April 2, 2013

Canadian government science is under siege. The administration of Prime Minister Stephen Harper—first under the guise of creating a uniform message across the government, and more recently with the stated intent of controlling intellectual property and cost-saving—is dismantling the Canadian governmental science apparatus and its role in providing a source of accountability in Canadian democracy.

This erosion began in 2007 with the imposition of rules requiring that all public servants (including government scientists) get approval before speaking in public or to a journalist on any topic. These rules were rolled back for routine queries about the weather, but other than that, scientists were to check with media relations or communications officers before any public contact.

Of course, this in isolation is not a problem, except that the government made sure that such requests, particularly for potentially sensitive research (e.g. about the impacts of climate change), were met with slow bureaucracy, responses taking days or weeks, by which time the news cycle would have moved on.

Even more insidious, some approvals came with pre-determined talking points, boring bullets beyond which scientists were not to stray. With so much red tape over their mouths, it was unclear what the point of talking to government scientists was. Journalists certainly weren’t able to ask what might have motivated research, what the implications of the research might be, or where research might be headed in the future. Without journalists talking directly and openly to scientists, all the subtle details, the judgments or interesting extras that don’t make it into scientific papers, remain obscured.

Some politicians defending these policies argue that the only thing scientists need to do is publish their research, that access beyond the scholarly literature is unnecessary.

But this ignores both the additional questions journalists can ask scientists and the need for such communication in the media to bring research to the attention of the public—a public that, by the way, pays for the research.

Full story

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:41 pm 

Harper, prime of Canada in case you don't know, is a fat-headed scum. :evil:
His beloved model is W. That tells a lot.
Don't be surprised. Canada is becoming a pretty bad place.
He only got 39% but that was more than enough.

And don't expect it to change with the next election in two years.
The empty-headed Trudeau is no match for Harper. :roll:

How I wish people here wakes up (will they ever ?) and vote for sovereignty ! :x

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:33 pm 

4-year-old grabs loaded gun at family BBQ and accidentally kills wife of Tennessee sheriff’s deputy
Sheila Burke, Associated Press | 13/04/08 | Last Updated: 13/04/08 7:58 PM ET

NASHVILLE — Authorities say a 4-year-old boy grabbed a loaded gun at a family cookout and accidentally shot and killed the wife of a Tennessee sheriff’s deputy.

Investigators say Wilson County Deputy Daniel Fanning on Saturday was showing his weapons to a relative in a bedroom of his Lebanon home when the toddler came in and picked up a gun off the bed. Sheriff Robert Bryan says the weapon discharged, hitting 48-year-old Josephine Fanning.

She was pronounced dead at the scene. The child is not related to her or her husband.

Bryan says the shooting was a terrible accident and that within seconds of Fanning placing the gun on the bed, the toddler picked it up.

The gun was not Fanning’s service weapon and the sheriff says the deputy’s weapons are normally stored in a safe.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:08 pm 

You see, guns don't kill people, people kill people ...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:08 am 

I wonder who would the boy kill without a gun?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:45 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

He's lucky! A little to the left, and he'd be a cop killer. Then they'd shoot the kid, quickly strap a holster to his leg, and say he pulled it on them!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:32 am 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:

4-year-old grabs loaded gun at family BBQ and accidentally kills wife of Tennessee sheriff’s deputy
Sheila Burke, Associated Press | 13/04/08 | Last Updated: 13/04/08 7:58 PM ET

NASHVILLE — Authorities say a 4-year-old boy grabbed a loaded gun at a family cookout and accidentally shot and killed the wife of a Tennessee sheriff’s deputy.

Investigators say Wilson County Deputy Daniel Fanning on Saturday was showing his weapons to a relative in a bedroom of his Lebanon home when the toddler came in and picked up a gun off the bed. Sheriff Robert Bryan says the weapon discharged, hitting 48-year-old Josephine Fanning.

She was pronounced dead at the scene. The child is not related to her or her husband.

Bryan says the shooting was a terrible accident and that within seconds of Fanning placing the gun on the bed, the toddler picked it up.

The gun was not Fanning’s service weapon and the sheriff says the deputy’s weapons are normally stored in a safe.

polydigm wrote:
You see, guns don't kill people, people kill people ...

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

Even being at a party full of train professional gunsmen and women proves that the responsibility is far to great, and regardless of ones skills, are prone to fuck-ups.

No matter how much of a responsible gun enthusiast you think you are, it only takes one fuck-up.

Gun advocates have no more excuses.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:22 am 

"collateral damage" killing of innocent civilians including children by drone attack is still okay, right?

They would never do that to us, and if they did, why...we'd probably shoot back if we could.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:31 am 

A rope leash wrote:
"collateral damage" killing of innocent civilians including children by drone attack is still okay, right?

Sure, unless the drone uses a gun. :twisted: :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275 ... 382  Next