Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9715 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279 ... 389  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:02 am 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
For everybody who thought going to the gold standard was a brilliant idea...

Quote:
Gold set for worst two-day loss since 1983 -------> http://money.msn.com/business-news/arti ... d=16352974

...suckers!!! :lol: :roll:

You do realize that you're talking about the paper price and not the physical price, right? Why do you think Goldman-Sachs is telling its clients to sell their gold? Because Goldman-Sachs wants to buy it all from them. Who are the suckers now?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:28 am 

Plook wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Plook wrote:
I hate to say it but Spacey going way to overboard did not overread the gun dig comment

Are you calling BS and jpd diggers, boy? You in a heap a trouble, boy! Click,.... Click. One last :smoke: ?

I like livin on the edge as you know, thats what makes me TMIMITW... :mrgreen:

Ha! Stay thirsty my friend and when you drink, drink Dos Equis XX! I'll let you buy me a Sierra Nevada Porter next week instead, as I doubt the Brewery would sell any other beer but their own.

The way I see it Barry is this should be a dynamite show! :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:00 am 

tiboudre wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
For everybody who thought going to the gold standard was a brilliant idea...

Quote:
Gold set for worst two-day loss since 1983 -------> http://money.msn.com/business-news/arti ... d=16352974

...suckers!!! :lol: :roll:

You do realize that you're talking about the paper price and not the physical price, right? Why do you think Goldman-Sachs is telling its clients to sell their gold? Because Goldman-Sachs wants to buy it all from them. Who are the suckers now?

The suckers are those who have the disbelief that even the gold market is susceptile to manipulation, just like every other commodity or equity based product. Inflate the value to convince people it's a wise investment, then kill the value to cause panic and a sell off back to the companies at below the cost of what the buyer paid said company for it, then turn around and put it back onto the market for the next sucker who is gullible enough to fall into the the circle.

I chock it up to the banks, corporations and polititians (on all sides - Rep, Dem and Ind) who conspire to scratch each others backs, and in that sense, gold/precious metals is no different than housing/property, oil/energy, agriculture, pharm-e-ceuticals and so on and so forth. Where there's a dollar to be made, there's always a sucker who'll spend it.

Incidently, and on another subject that is sort of related, living off of the grid isn't an answer either. Power brokers can use emminent domain to brush anybody aside....

Example - http://nutritionresearchcenter.org/heal ... f-weeping/

Quote:
Why is this Native American Chief weeping?
by Vic Shayne, PhD

For decades environmentalists have been warning the world that the Rainforest of South America’s Amazon is under assault. They began to see the dissolution of the environment, not just locally, but also globally, and sent up a red flag. The end result is that warnings have gone ignored and mega-corporations have been abusing the area to the point where, like the rest of our limping planet, we are at a severe crisis.

Who’s doing the damage?

Logging companies, oil companies, factory farmers, the hamburger industry and others are destroying the ecosystem. Oil, copper, gold and mahogany are key resources. Leather used by companies like Nike, is also coming from the region.

Soon there will be nothing left. Greed destroys not only completely, but irreversibly...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:53 am 

Pakistan election rally hit by deadly bomb attack

At least nine people have been killed and dozens injured in Pakistan after a suicide bomb attack in Peshawar.

The Awami National Party (ANP), which governed the restive Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, had called the political rally ahead of next month's elections.

The Pakistani Taliban, which has repeatedly targeted the ANP, said it had carried out the attack.

The polls are expected to mark the country's first-ever civilian-to-civilian transfer of power.

Local television streamed live images of vehicles burning and people trying to reach the wounded amid clouds of smoke.

Full story

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:01 pm 

BBP wrote:
Google Translate translates "wooden shoe" literally to "houten schoen". The word for that typically Dutch footwear is klomp (pl. klompen).

You realize it was a complement, it was supposed to say "the queen of the wooden shoes"... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:21 pm 

Gary, Justin Bieber’s trendy pet monkey, quarantined in Germany..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:19 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Gary, Justin Bieber’s trendy pet monkey, quarantined in Germany..

Looks like DZW.com has one too! Only it's not quarantined and spews over here now & then from DZW. He's been less active here now that he feels wanted over there, so that's a good thing for all the Zappa.comers who find his posts.... um...somewhat irritating.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:43 pm 

tweedle-dumb wrote:
tiboudre wrote:

The suckers are those who have the disbelief that even the gold market is susceptile to manipulation, just like every other commodity or equity based product. Inflate the value to convince people it's a wise investment, then kill the value to cause panic and a sell off back to the companies at below the cost of what the buyer paid said company for it, then turn around and put it back onto the market for the next sucker who is gullible enough to fall into the the circle.

I chock it up to the banks, corporations and polititians (on all sides - Rep, Dem and Ind) who conspire to scratch each others backs, and in that sense, gold/precious metals is no different than housing/property, oil/energy, agriculture, pharm-e-ceuticals and so on and so forth. Where there's a dollar to be made, there's always a sucker who'll spend it.

Of course any market is susceptible to manipulation. But PROVING the rest of the above in this or any other case is a much different story...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:17 am 

You don't think all of those markets are manipulated Almost Boy? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:57 am 

Farewell and good riddance.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... neral.html
Pity the funeral cost 8 Million quid - and Cameron's supposed to be in the middle of an austerity programme.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:14 am 

I'm curious about something I heard about Thatcher's funeral procession the other day and hopefully someone can clarify. I heard them say that along Thatcher's route, it is common to see people turn away as the processional goes by to indicate that they did not agree with her politics. Is this normal? Do people go to see the processional just to do that? Is it a mixed hate/respect thing? If I didn't like her, I'd stay home, but maybe people just can't stay away from Bogus Pomp?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:19 am 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:

There is a slight difference in that gold was the original basis of the monetary system.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:53 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I'm curious about something I heard about Thatcher's funeral procession the other day and hopefully someone can clarify. I heard them say that along Thatcher's route, it is common to see people turn away as the processional goes by to indicate that they did not agree with her politics. Is this normal? Do people go to see the processional just to do that? Is it a mixed hate/respect thing? If I didn't like her, I'd stay home, but maybe people just can't stay away from Bogus Pomp?

Well, I think a lot of people disliked her so much and found the idea of nationally praising her so distasteful, that they did turn up to show their disaffection. I've never heard of this being done at any other state funeral. In fact, if I had been in London I would have done the same. I'm rereading her autobiography at the moment to remind myself why I hated her so much... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:34 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:

That's why we had the American revolution, so we could stay home and watch baseball. We don't "do" funerals just to turn our backs. I'll do the same for Bush when his time come's, just like I did for Nixon and RR. I'll stay home and watch it on the teley while going back and forth with whatever game that's on like all good Americans do. Those English have some funny ways about them. :lol:

I hear Caputh left the country because of her politics! :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:38 am 

We used to call her "Thatchler", Kiirk. Next time I'm in England, I'll spit on her grave...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:17 am 

Caputh wrote:
We used to call her "Thatchler", Kiirk. Next time I'm in England, I'll spit on her grave...

The Thatchler and Reagan thought the world was they're own bad western movie. The guys with white hats always win in they're script. The 1%. Both hated unions and free thinkers alike. Anything that hindered they're capitalist machine or status quo wore a black hat, in they're eye's. Those two were so far removed from the people that they're politics are still reverberating and effecting us today. Reagan ordered troops to fire rubber bullets and helicopters to spray mace on his own people as Governor of California. I'll never forgive him for that......ever. I spit every time I have to say his fucking name!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:47 am 

I spit on Reagan's star in Hollywood. Then I went to the ZPZ soundcheck.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:37 pm 

Pope Jim wrote:
I spit on Reagan's star in Hollywood. Then I went to the ZPZ soundcheck.

Too bad Nancy wasn't there.I didn't see RR's star at the DZpZ download show I went to at The Roxy, I was staying at the Motel-6 by Whitney and Hollywood blvd. A lot of stars that I recognize, some that never even heard of, to borrow a line from Ray Davies.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:19 pm 

tiboudre wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:

There is a slight difference in that gold was the original basis of the monetary system.

That is true.

The recent sudden drastic drop in gold value last week, the inevitable sell off from people trying to recoup their investment into it with minimal loss, and the sudden jump in value immediately after the sell off is just more money in he pockets of the people who manipulate the markets.

If we look at the oil industry, right now, we are historically drilling baby drilling more than ever. It's even to the point where there's more supply than current demand, yet the costs remain high to the consumer.

The housing market? Same deal. During the bubble last decade, banks were giving everybody low interest loans for property values that were overinflated. Suddenly, the banks jack up their interest rates above what the purchaser's can afford, then the homes get forclosed. Meanwhile, the banks pulled a nice profit on property that people invested tens and even hundreds of thousands of dollars into.

The markets are constantly being manipulated, including gold. I believe it's value is in the process of being over inflated, and the crash last week will be childs play compared to whats in store for those who think it's the way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:49 pm 

I usually view Anonymous as cowards, but they hacked the Westboro Baptist Church facebook page. Awesome, fuck those Bible-thumping hate mongers.

Pudding
Delicious

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:14 pm 

schvanzbass wrote:
I usually view Anonymous as cowards, but they hacked the Westboro Baptist Church facebook page. Awesome, fuck those Bible-thumping hate mongers.

+1 8) If your on Fecesbook you deserve it!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:21 pm 

you have the housing bubble info incorrect, banks were encouraged to loan to people with no down payment and in many cases NO job or credit. Also the sub prime loan scam ,then like now, to many people want what they cannot afford and when offered this crap they do it any way, thank Freddie mac and barny frank for that matter. news flash you cannot afford a house unless you can get a fixed rate, and the payment is no more than 1/4 of your monthly take home pay, all this is after paying all other debt and you have 6 months of take home pay saved as an emergency fund.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:29 pm 

So ya thought ya might like to marry the same sex partner of your dreams?

After years of turning fucking around into an art form, the NZ government finally passed a bill to legalise same-sex marriage last night with 77 votes to 44.

So book those trendy tickets, the bill should become law in August.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:55 am 

I heard something about an explosion at an artificial fertilizer factory in Texas. Artificial fertilizer, H2O2, is very dangerous to make (since H2O is an explosive); when I was at school we went to one such factory in Rotterdam; it exploded two months later. So I'm more surprised that there lived so many people in the neighborhood.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:20 am 

No it was anhydrous ammonia; NH3, H2O2 is hydrogen peroxide. And yes very bad explosion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9715 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279 ... 389  Next