Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286 ... 384  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:24 pm 

That's some clear thinking there, pedro. I am always a bit nervous when the same folks that are painting a pretty picture of a catastrophe are also suggesting that we need to change the Constitution, and that using the IRS for personal political purposes is okay when Obama does it. If the "opposition" was doing such things, they'd be squealing just like the "opposition" is right now over Benghazi, ect. .

I also travel the USA and I have done so since circa 1985.

Yep, aMerica is still buzzin'.

But the good side ain't as good and the bad side has started to rot sensationally.

What we have here is late stage capitalism. The winners have arrived, having murdered Mom and Pop on their way in, and now in the quest of ousting one another they have gone from screwing the customer and each other to screwing the employee, using all sorts of tiny tactics quelled from heavy reams of tax code.

I write some about it in the drunken rant that killed the capitalism thread, or so I think. I haven't read it, either.

Almost all retail business has been secured by a small number of nationwide players. In my neck of the woods, Casey's and Dollar General are two franchises that come to mind.

I'm not sure what trails some might ride, but if you go into any major city you can find the decay. It's usually not out at the Interstate ramps, where the corporation wears the face. It's on the back roads and inner streets.

There are a lot of little burgs with now-dead downtowns, reduced to thrift stores and liquor. It's certainly not hard to find a closed down factory or grocery store. I know of at least three national chain truck stop locations within a hundred miles of me that are now weeded up pavement.

Heck, just take the exit to Cairo, IL off of I-57, and tell me the economy is "coming back".

On the trips I take nowdays I have to be careful to bring some snacks, and to make sure my gas tank is full. The distance between locations to purchase gasoline has grown quite a bit, I would say, because Mom and Pop cannot survive even at the half-way point through Boonieland...they's closed up, pal...even Big Dick's Halfway Inn!

So, I know not what at roads others travel, but overall the decline over the past couple of decades is starkly evident to me. O Jesus I remember traveling in the Eighties, and every hotel and motel was doing well and serving drinks where serving drinks was permissible.

At least for me in my trade it's just been less money and more bullshit, and less glamorous itineraries.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:53 pm 

shit for brains wrote:
Didn't read your post...

Exactly...don't want too, don't give a shit what you think or do, do not respond to me anymore...I couldn't care less about you and nothing I write will be intended for you... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:50 am 

Right-wing forces have apparently won the election in Bulgaria: a day before the election, 350,000 forged voting cards were found in the printing shop of a local right-wing politician.
My thoughts are with my bf.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:04 am 

Homer Simpson: "People can use statistics to prove anything, Kent. 14% of all people know that."

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:28 am 

Plook wrote:
shit for brains wrote:
Didn't read your post...

Exactly...don't want too, don't give a shit what you think or do, do not respond to me anymore...I couldn't care less about you and nothing I write will be intended for you... :smoke:

+1

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:31 am 

tiboudre wrote:
Homer Simpson: "People can use statistics to prove anything, Kent. 14% of all people know that."

That is one muddy Homer quote, rife with interpretations, some proper, some improper. Here are some possibilities, that surely some have already chosen...

Most people don't know that you can prove anything with statistics.

Most people don't understand how statistics work.

Most people think you can not prove anything with statistics.

A small percentage of people understand that anything can be proven with statistics.

A small minority of people understand statistics.

Statistics is an improperly utilized field.

Statistics are abused for every cause.

Anything is provable.

Statistics prove things.

Statistics deals with INFORMATION, not knowledge, not wisdom, not truth. Call it beauty, love or music if you want. I won't.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:33 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Links...graphs....words....points....data...

Anything but physical reality for the rubes to dwell upon.

These are frightened men who refuse to realize the ineffable truths and instead dwell upon manipulated numbers and propaganda.

Like poison ivy, we should learn to recognize them. The worst thing for America are the men who don't want you to think for yourself. They hide behind false statistics and use their manipulated data to force you to go along with them.

Yes...because according to you, no one can ever be correct about anything, despite the fact you can't prove otherwise. You can continue to keep pissing in the wind now. But on second thought, does piss or the wind even exist?! :roll:

duchamp wrote:
tweedle-dee wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
Didn't read your post...

+1

This means I won't have to put with your ignorant BS any longer. Excellent!

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:01 pm 

Shit for brains wrote:
This means I won't have to put with your ignorant BS any longer. Excellent!

Perfect... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:02 pm 

Nohmul Pyramid Bulldozed In Belize For Rocks

AP | Posted: 05/13/2013 3:41 pm EDT | Updated: 05/13/2013 8:25 pm EDT

A construction company has essentially destroyed one of Belize's largest Mayan pyramids with backhoes and bulldozers to extract crushed rock for a road-building project, authorities announced on Monday.

The head of the Belize Institute of Archaeology, Jaime Awe, said the destruction at the Nohmul complex in northern Belize was detected late last week. The ceremonial centre dates back at least 2,300 years and is the most important site in northern Belize, near the border with Mexico.

"It's a feeling of incredible disbelief because of the ignorance and the insensitivity ... they were using this for road fill,'' Awe said. "It's like being punched in the stomach, it's just so horrendous.''

History Schmistory

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:21 am 

BBP wrote:
Right-wing forces have apparently won the election in Bulgaria: a day before the election, 350,000 forged voting cards were found in the printing shop of a local right-wing politician.
My thoughts are with my bf.

Thats the only way they can win elections, regardless of geography, that is, unless they can remove education first, then arm the uneducated.

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:

That is sad and shortsighted of them to destroy their culture. Greed is dangerous.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:03 am 

Woman Shows Up on Ex’s Porch 10 Years Later to Demand $20

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/weird/NA ... 43911.html

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:24 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:

Nohmul Pyramid Bulldozed In Belize For Rocks

AP | Posted: 05/13/2013 3:41 pm EDT | Updated: 05/13/2013 8:25 pm EDT

A construction company has essentially destroyed one of Belize's largest Mayan pyramids with backhoes and bulldozers to extract crushed rock for a road-building project, authorities announced on Monday.

The head of the Belize Institute of Archaeology, Jaime Awe, said the destruction at the Nohmul complex in northern Belize was detected late last week. The ceremonial centre dates back at least 2,300 years and is the most important site in northern Belize, near the border with Mexico.

"It's a feeling of incredible disbelief because of the ignorance and the insensitivity ... they were using this for road fill,'' Awe said. "It's like being punched in the stomach, it's just so horrendous.''

History Schmistory

Amazing. What to expect of one of the most raped nations in the world?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:23 pm 

^ That's a fucking crime there! :roll: :evil:

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:53 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Don't worry Kiirk, those Mayans would have predicted this and those @&^%$@# @@&#@%'# will die a loooong sloooow and hopefully very painful death...

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:57 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Don't worry Kiirk, those Mayans would have predicted this and those @&^%$@# @@&#@%'# will die a loooong sloooow and hopefully very painful death...

Ha!.... and the world was supposed to end on FZ's last birthday, according to the Mayan calendar. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:06 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Ha!.... and the world was supposed to end on FZ's last birthday, according to the Mayan calendar. :shock:

Maybe it was that year 2000 computer virus thing that threw them out...

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:27 am 

Deficit Shrinks Far Faster Than Expected

...In one fell swoop, the non-partisan budget referee slashed its deficit forecast for the current fiscal year by $203 billion from estimates made in February to $642 billion - making it the smallest budget shortfall since 2008.

The CBO said the deficit will fall to $378 billion by 2015 with no congressional action - a sharp contrast to the $1 trillion recession-driven deficits in each of President Barack Obama's first four years in office.

The revisions are driven largely by rising tax revenue from individuals and corporations as the economy sputters back to life. They also reflect stronger contributions to U.S. Treasury coffers from government-run *SPAM* finance groups Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

"Because revenues, under current law, are projected to rise more rapidly than spending in the next two years, deficits in CBO's baseline projections continue to shrink, falling to 2.1 percent of GDP by 2015," the CBO said in its report.

That level is considered easily sustainable by budget analysts, who said the report will blunt Republican arguments that rising federal debt levels will soon crush the economy...

No wonder why Republicans have shifted their attacks from economics and social issues to an investigation into the changing of the word rom "terrorist" to the word "extremist" in a memo...... 2014 and 2016 are going to be interesting election cycles!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:07 am 

I doubt it was a harmless mistake. Such things, like burning down or accidental demolishing, is what malicious contractors did and do out here to get monuments out of the way. Here the most famous victim is the town hall.
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oude_stadhuis_(Eindhoven).

In the mean time, Anouk has turned the bad name of Dutch musicians by getting to the final round of Eurovision. First since 2004.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:04 pm 

Did anyone catch that story about the wealthy 1%er's using the disabled services to circumvent the long lines at Disney World. Apparently they hire a disabled person or act like they're disabled to get their kids to the front of the line ahead of everyone else. Sometimes it's a 2-1/2 hour wait! There's a hush-hush website pandering to these people. It's getting a lot of use and what's really sick is they think that this is OK business as usual, no heart, no empathy!
A disabled person is allowed up to 5 "guests" to accompany them in this cut in line gig. It's a great service to the disabled being corrupted by the rich 1%e's, just for their "special" kids. Gee, I wonder what kind of assholes those kids will grow up to be.
I've a bad back and I can't stand very long or walk for any long distances. So at the airport I always ask for a wheelchair as I need one. I do get those looks when people see me go through line faster and then get up and walk to the plane from the TSA counter. It looks like a miracle cure I'm sure, but without it, I'd be in a world of hurt and most likely miss some flights. They're on to that one too!
Leave it to the lazy assed wealthy 1%er's to ruin another good thing for the disabled, all because their kids are "special" and your's aren't! :evil: :roll: :x :(

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:06 pm 

Yes , I saw that.

That bitch , and her kind , should be jailed. At the very least they should have to live in a wheelchair for a year !

The only good thing that comes out of this is the handicapped people are fleecing these assholes to the tune of 150.00 + per hour or more.

WTF is Disney World thinking ??? :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:46 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

It was really a bummer the world didn't end in 2012 :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:48 pm 

Stanford Researchers Find Killer Frog in San Francisco

The African clawed frogs responsible for the death of amphibians have been found in Golden Gate Park.
Posted by Claudia Cruz (Editor), May 14, 2013 at 03:44 am

Killer frogs are on the loose in San Francisco.

They don't kill humans but there is a frog that is carrying a deadly infection that is decimating the amphibian population around the world, a study from Stanford University School of Medicine reports.

Researchers at Stanford tested 23 African clawed frogs and identified three frogs carrying the pathogen, including one found in Golden Gate Park.

An African clawed frog taken from Lily Pond in Golden Gate Park has tested positive for a fungal pathogen that is responsible for the decline or extinction of about 200 amphibian species worldwide, the report said.

Dirty little frogs is what you eat

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:58 pm 

Swaziland bans witches from flying above 150metres on broomsticks

Swaziland has launched a crackdown on high-flying witches after banning them from hovering above 150metres.

It has been a long time since witches were burnt at the stake in Europe but the accusation remains a serious one in the landlocked African country.

Anyone caught flying their broomstick above the height limit faces arrest and a hefty R500,000 fine, the country’s civil aviation authorities said this week.

‘A witch on a broomstick should not fly above the [150-metre] limit,’ corporate affairs director Sabelo Dlamini told The Star.

The new aviation law was highlighted after a private investigator was caught flying a helicopter equipped with a video camera to gather surveillance information.

Witchcraft is taken seriously in Swaziland where many people believe in the power of black magic.

Last year a leading Swazi MP called for a hike in tax paid by witch doctors to help ease the cash-strapped country’s financial woes.

=================

MTF asks: How do they intend to enforce this law?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:58 am 

G-sus -- did ya read about the IRS lady who WAS in charge of non-profits but NOW is in charge of Obamacare IRS!?!?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:25 pm 

Boffins find world's oldest virgin water trapped in Earth's crust

Billion-plus-year discovery gives hope for life on Mars
Can you Grock it?!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/16/wolds_oldest_water_found/

There's nothing like a Catholic Girl
With her hand in the box
When she's on her knees

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286 ... 384  Next