Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288 ... 372  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:49 am 

The Colorado River, The High Plains Aquifer And The Entire Western Half Of The U.S. Are Rapidly Drying Up
By Michael, on May 23rd, 2013

The Western United States Is Turning Back Into Desert...What is life going to look like as our precious water resources become increasingly strained and the western half of the United States becomes bone dry?
http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/the-colorado-river-the-high-plains-aquifer-and-the-entire-western-half-of-the-u-s-are-rapidly-drying-up

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:25 am 

I agree with that, folks now days are to edgy everybody mellow ..................i'm sleepy now

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:27 am 

Caputh wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
Woolwich attack: Watch shocking video of terrorists charging at police car in attempt to kill WPC
24 May 2013 01:00
The footage obtained by the Daily Mirror reveals how, after beheading the soldier, they hatched a plot to ambush and murder the first police officers to come to his aid.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/wo ... eo-1907772

What I found interesting about this story is that both the main channels in the UK, BBC and ITV, edited out all the comments the murderer made about Allah, the Qur'an and the Islamic background of this deed, whereas the conservative media channels all showed the entire statement and stressed the fact that they were Muslims. I'm not entirely sure whether I find the former's position ethical.
On a different note, I wonder whether the political reaction is not a prime example of electioneering. Cameron cuts short a state visit and returns to London for emergency meetings and a press conference about the, admittedly brutal, murder of one individual. I wonder if somebody else had been run over and beheaded by a plain psychopath whether he would have done the same.

...or the atrocities committed by soldiers to the innocent civil population of unlawfully invaded countries...

Sing along:
I'm the slime...

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:35 am 

Its only a tragedy because real estate & humans are involved. The desert habitat will thrive once again without people.

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:12 am 

Rocky Horror Show star Tim Curry, 67, recovering at his LA home after suffering a major stroke

By David Gardner

PUBLISHED: 07:11 EST, 24 May 2013 | UPDATED: 08:04 EST, 24 May 2013

Rocky Horror Show actor Tim Curry is recovering after suffering a major stroke at his home in Los Angeles.

The British star, 67, is said to be 'doing great' following the collapse.

Curry rose to fame as Dr. Frank-N-Furter in the cult musical and went on to a successful stage and film career.

Few details were available about the stroke last night, but sources close to the actor refused suggestions that the stroke had made it difficult for him to speak.

See what's on the slab

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:34 am 

Bonny's gonna be bummed out about this. To be fair so am I! I hope Mr. Curry gets better soon, he's one of my favorite actors of all time. I loved his role on CSI too, it was pretty darn good for a little screen show. :(

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:49 am 

You bet I'm bummed! I'm sending him a postcard as soon as I can, will go for a trip to the local modern art museum to get a nice Picasso one.
It would be a drama if it would affect his speech, particularly since, because of his age, voice work is his primary source of income.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:21 am 

BBP wrote:
You bet I'm bummed! I'm sending him a postcard as soon as I can, will go for a trip to the local modern art museum to get a nice Picasso one.
It would be a drama if it would affect his speech, particularly since, because of his age, voice work is his primary source of income.

He's only '67. He's still got at least another 20 yrs. of acting/voice over before even thinking of retiring. That's if this stroke isn't to debilitating and he needs years of PT just to get him back to an even keel. Kirk Douglas came back from a really bad stroke and he was a lot older when it happened to him. So cross your fingers and hope for the best. I know I will be! :wink:
PM me an address for him and I'll send a card too.

We had an earthquake last night around 8:00pm. I was sitting on a balcony 3 stories up and it just sort of rolled a bit. Being a native Californian, I stood between a door jam and waited. It was over fairly fast with no after shocks that I could feel. It sounds like it was closer to Plook and KUIII as it's epicenter was near Lake Almanor/MT.Lassen area. MT. Lassen is an active volcano that's been dormant since I can remember. I've hiked to the top where there is a hot spot of bubbling mud in one area of the cone. It was a gas to slide down the MT. on it's snowy, glazier side. Made it to the bottom in about 3 minutes! (2hr hike up)

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:41 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
...We had an earthquake last night around 8:00pm. I was sitting on a balcony 3 stories up and it just sort of rolled a bit. Being a native Californian, I stood between a door jam and waited. It was over fairly fast with no after shocks that I could feel...

We had 2 quakes (5.2 and 4.1), up here (near the Ontario/Quebec border), a week ago. At the time Sabbs was playing a Jeff Beck album rather loudly, so we didn't even notice anything!!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:26 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
...We had an earthquake last night around 8:00pm. I was sitting on a balcony 3 stories up and it just sort of rolled a bit. Being a native Californian, I stood between a door jam and waited. It was over fairly fast with no after shocks that I could feel...

We had 2 quakes (5.2 and 4.1), up here (near the Ontario/Quebec border), a week ago. At the time Sabbs was playing a Jeff Beck album rather loudly, so we didn't even notice anything!!

Ha! Ya, it was on the news today and I was vindicated. Most everyone didn't notice it at all and thought I might be___<FITB. But sitting watchin' the slime ooze out and feeling the '89 WS earthquake the same way too, it doesn't shake it rolls. We're on an ancient lakebed and not hard rock here. It doesn't shake as much as the SF bay area or a mountainous area does, just rolls under us.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:48 pm 

You know I've never been through an earthquake? The only ones I know of that occurred here happened during sleeping hours.

Fortunately, Curry's stroke turned out to have occurred last July, nearly a year ago. As he has done work since then, most notably What About Dick?, it seems like he's recovered.

A 24-year-old female zookeeper in Britain died after a tiger attack.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:36 pm 

BBP wrote:
Fortunately, Curry's stroke turned out to have occurred last July, nearly a year ago.

I noticed in the picture from that news article that the right side of his face seems a bit droopy, which is typical of someone who's had a stroke. I was wondering if maybe this wasn't his first stroke...

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:47 pm 

BBP wrote:
Fortunately, Curry's stroke turned out to have occurred last July, nearly a year ago. As he has done work since then, most notably What About Dick?, it seems like he's recovered.

Jeez, and I thought all this just happened. :roll: What kind of Breaking News is that!? :|

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:45 am 

Little_Sally wrote:
The Colorado River, The High Plains Aquifer And The Entire Western Half Of The U.S. Are Rapidly Drying Up
By Michael, on May 23rd, 2013

search: california water privatization to complete the picture. fun!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:38 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
BBP wrote:

Jeez, and I thought all this just happened. :roll: What kind of Breaking News is that!? :|

The Password Is Bad Journalism. Curry's a very private person: even the most ardent fans don't know if he has a partner, if he's gay or not, whether his dog Deniro is still alive, if he's still smoking cigarettes or has given it up...
MTF: Check out the What About Dick? videos you can find on YT. He looks and sounds fine to me, in fact the girls at the fan forum got a bit of a heartthrob since he looked nice and fit, he was so pudgy in Secret Of Moonacre.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:56 am 

I once saw a sign in a waiting room at the doctor's.
It read:
"Stroke patients - don't feel alone!"

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:45 am 

Obama asks Holder to investigate Holder’s investigation
President Barack Obama has asked his friend Attorney General Eric Holder to investigate Holder’s unprecedented investigation of a Fox News reporter.

Holder approved the Justice Department’s extraordinary 2010 investigation of contacts between a Fox News reporter and a State Department official who has since been charged with leaking classified information, according to NBC.

The Justice Department searched the reporter’s e-mails and phone calls under the legal claim that he may have contributed to a crime.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/05/24/obama ... z2UKN6BHx9

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:47 pm 

Two freight trains collide in Missouri, bringing down overpass

By Tim Bross
ST. LOUIS | Sat May 25, 2013 11:45pm EDT

(Reuters) - Two freight trains collided at a rail intersection in rural Missouri on Saturday, triggering the collapse of a highway overpass when at least a dozen rail cars derailed and struck a support pillar, authorities said.

None of the seven people hurt in the fiery crash - two train workers and five occupants of two cars on the overpass - suffered life-threatening injuries, Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter said in a statement.

"One train T-boned the other one and caused it to derail, and the derailed train hit a pillar which caused the overpass to collapse," Sheriff's dispatcher Clay Slipis said of the pre-dawn crash near Chaffee, about 15 miles southwest of Cape Girardeau, in southeastern Missouri.

What is this? A Buster Keaton movie?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:48 pm 

I go to Chaffee a couple of times a month. I guess I won't be going on that road next time.

I didn't know train tracks intersected like that. I don't see how that could work. Were both trains moving?

Wow.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:55 pm 

A rope leash wrote:
I go to Chaffee a couple of times a month. I guess I won't be going on that road next time.

I didn't know train tracks intersected like that. I don't see how that could work. Were both trains moving?

Wow.

"Robert Sumwalt, a National Transportation Safety Board member, said in a phone interview that his agency could take about a year to reach a finding on the cause of the crash."

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:24 am 

That's normal. There's never just one cause, but a whole lot of little things that can occur and it's in the best interest of rail safety that the research is done as carefully as possible without jumping to conclusions.

Brazillian pregnant women who donated their urine in a Mothers for Mothers programme, have been mislead. Instead their urine was used to make medication to speed up the pregnancy of pigs.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:22 pm 

Thousands of cave paintings have been discovered in Mexico

Archaeologists have uncovered nearly 5,000 cave paintings at 11 different sites in Mexico, the likely product of early hunter-gatherers. What’s even more remarkable is that the area was previously thought to be uninhabited.

The discovery was made in the north-eastern region of Burgos in the San Carlos mountain range of Tamaulipas. Archaeologist Martha García Sánchez, who works out of the Mexican National Institute of Anthropology and History (Inah), recently presented these findings at the Historic Archaeology meeting held in Mexico’s National History Museum.

Read more

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:18 am 

^^
Nice!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:54 pm 

train blows up in Baltimore: youtube eyewitness -NotSafeForWork- tells it like it is

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:45 pm 

By Edward Moyer /CBS News
May 27, 2013, 9:59 AM

Moon dust gathered by Neil Armstrong discovered in warehouse after 40 years

Several miscellaneous bits and pieces of the first moon mission have orbited back into our field of view lately.

In March, it was pieces of the rocket that propelled Apollo 11 spaceward, kindly dragged from their watery grave by Amazon CEO and space enthusiast Jeff Bezos.

And more recently, the auction block played host to Buzz Aldrin's space jammies, as well as Neil Armstrong's jumpin' heartbeat as he first set foot on the lunar surface.

Now, thanks to Karen Nelson, a tidy archivist at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, about 20 forgotten vials of moon dust collected by Armstrong and Aldrin have been rescued from a grave of their own: a warehouse at the Berkeley lab, where they'd sat quietly gathering, um, Earth dust for the last 40 years or so.

Lost in space... or Berkeley

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288 ... 372  Next