Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9366 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292 ... 375  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:33 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Speaking of spying on the public (for national security, of course)...are you sure that was a mosquito you just heard??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiCFtmdrvHM

hahahahahahahhahhahahhhhahahaa!!!!

all the gun nuts out there that want to "protect yourself" from the GOV ...
or "the darkies" or "your own shadows" ...

those arguments, just became moot: how easy would it be to slap a camera and a tranquilizer dart on one of these little hovers?
"Law enforcement" just got too easy.

"Live by the sword, die by the sword." -- Jesus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:55 pm 

simplex II wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
Speaking of spying on the public (for national security, of course)...are you sure that was a mosquito you just heard??

...how easy would it be to slap a camera and a tranquilizer dart on one of these little hovers?...

They already have cameras on them.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=395_1369176838

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:38 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
simplex II wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

all the gun nuts out there that want to "protect yourself" from the GOV ...
or "the darkies" or "your own shadows" ...

those arguments, just became moot: how easy would it be to slap a camera and a tranquilizer dart on one of these little hovers?
"Law enforcement" just got too easy.

They already have cameras on them.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=395_1369176838

The gun nuts will just arm themselves with these in retaliation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU

Sad to think that the mass shootings by gun wacko's in the future may likely involve drones.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:38 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:

Sad to think that the mass shootings by gun wacko's in the future may likely involve drones.

So much for...
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
I don't do speculations and what if's...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:36 pm 

Thats a speculation that has a 99.99999% chance of actually happening.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:58 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
I don't trust your source to be accurate.

No heroes allowed: Calgary student, 13, reprimanded for defending his classmate against a knife-wielding bully

Leah O’Donnell, Briar’s mother, received a call from the vice-principal.
Mike Ridewood for National PostLeah O'Donnell and her son Briar MacLean, 13, in Calgary, Friday, May 31, 2013. .“They phoned me and said, ‘Briar was involved in an incident today,’” she said. “That he decided to ‘play hero’ and jump in.”
Ms. O’Donnell was politely informed the school did not “condone heroics,” she said. Instead, Briar should have found a teacher to handle the situation.
“I asked: ‘In the time it would have taken him to go get a teacher, could that kid’s throat have been slit?’ She said yes, but that’s beside the point. We ‘don’t condone heroics in this school.’ ”

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/05/31 ... at-school/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:12 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:

So it can happen then. :twisted:

They really hate a liberal at the National Post. Sorta' like the US's Fox network for Canucks, eh?

Post subject: just 'cave-dweller' doug
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:19 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:

So much for...
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
I don't do speculations and what if's...

guess it ain't speculation if the UN and the nation are talking about it.

This reminds me of when FZ said people should tell their kids about sex. Controversial, sure, but only to the neanderthals and censors. Because, he said (roughly), that if the kids don't know what's out there, how are they gonna deal with it if/when it happens to them? Getting zapped by a mini-drone, by your local 'stop-and-frisk' enthusiast or local gun-nut with a fetish for whizzy flying things, can be pretty traumatic. Just ask the people who lived through and near the thousands of drone strikes. Or Brooklyn, Central LA and wherever else the Birchers perform their bloody ablutions. Collateral Damage and other crimes are real and long-lasting. Especially if your skin pigment is a bit darker. Which, I guess, would be a reason to live in a cave, away from the light. :mrgreen:

I'm really surprised at you jpd. I mean, do you really want people to not concern themselves with what can harm them? Or just not talk about it on the internet in the forum you inhabit? Really? Or do you just really want SB to be 'consistent'?

You do know it requires a peaceful society in which to be able to buy and listen to records and watch movies. Right? Or are you actually one of those 'in training' for that circular firing range that the gun-nuts have been amping up for? I'm really quite surprised.

The Calgary kid got a reprimand. And was anybody hurt? Hope the bully was expelled. Hope the bully has a secure home-life to go to... any word to why the 'bully' brought/had a knife in school. Details left out of the story, might be revealing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:22 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:

So it can happen then. :twisted:

They really hate a liberal at the National Post. Sorta' like the US's Fox network for Canucks, eh?

It will happen. Actually, it's already happening...

I should post this in the Gun Control thread, but since we're on the topic of weaponized consumer grade drones...

The Next Gun Debate? Armed Drones Could Be Protected By the Second Amendment

...It’s nothing I’ve ever heard of anyone wanting to do,” Dave Workman, a representative for the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. “It certainly is an interesting idea,..."

http://www.infowars.com/the-next-gun-de ... amendment/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:34 pm 

simplex II wrote:
[I'm really surprised at you jpd. I mean, do you really want people to not concern themselves with what can harm them? Or just not talk about it on the internet in the forum you inhabit? Really? Or do you just really want SB to be 'consistent'?

You wish to tell your kids, when they go out to play tomorrow, that if they hear a loud buzzing noise it's a flying machine gun about to cut them to ribbons...be my guest.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:45 pm 

Now you're attempting to put words in my mouth?
just plain doug wrote:
"... if they hear a loud buzzing noise it's a flying machine gun about to cut them to ribbons..."

I never said that. Nor would I. I did not make a connection between loud buzzing noises and a flying machine gun. That was your doing. Unnecessary, especially irrational fears are worse, in the outcomes, as I think you know, than even what can happen in reality. Because those type of mythic fears make dealing with reality much more difficult.

btw, I think that mom of that Calgary kid is right. 'We need more heroes'. But, I would add, not more dead heroes. Plus, that article using 'No heroes allowed' for it's lede, is misleading. The kid and his mom don't look damaged by the heroics or the reprimand. So, it appears, that while not condoned, heroism is at least, tolerated. In Calgary schools. But then, not everyone has good instincts to 'do the right thing' when trouble arises.

Do they?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:55 pm 

My bad Simplex II. I guess your statement...
simplex II wrote:
...if the kids don't know what's out there, how are they gonna deal with it if/when it happens to them? Getting zapped by a mini-drone, by your local 'stop-and-frisk' enthusiast or local gun-nut with a fetish for whizzy flying things, can be pretty traumatic.
...means something different to you, than what it sounds like to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:32 pm 

Do you see now how they are not the same? A buzzy noise, the gun nut fetishist for whizzy flying things, and being cut to ribbons, as you so artfully put it, are three separate things. And not at all necessarily causally related.

Rouhani looks like the clear leader in Iranian election. BBC has lots on that here.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:20 pm 

Facebook, Microsoft release NSA stats to reassure users

In an effort to reassure users, Facebook discloses it has received legal orders to turn over details on about one-thousandth of one percent of user accounts. So does Microsoft, and Google plans to do the same.

by Declan McCullagh June 14, 2013 7:20 PM PDT

Facebook and Microsoft today became the first Internet companies to disclose the total number of legal orders they receive for user data, including ones from the National Security Agency and from state, local, and federal police performing criminal investigations.

The total for Facebook: About 18,000 accounts over a six month period, or one-thousandth of one percent of user accounts.

Microsoft's total was about 31,000 accounts over the same six month period ending December 31, 2012. A Google spokesman told CNET this evening that the search company is working on disclosing the same type of statistics, and plans to be more detailed than Microsoft and Facebook.

Ted Ullyot, Facebook's general counsel, disclosed the figures today in an effort to lay to rest privacy concerns after a pair of articles last week incorrectly reported that a program called "PRISM" provided the NSA with "direct access" to Internet companies' servers.

That caused near-panic among the more privacy sensitive users of Web-based e-mail and social networks, and led to speculation about whether the NSA was secretly vacuuming billions of user profiles. Even after the two newspapers, the Washington Post and the Guardian backed away from their incendiary initial claims, and even after Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Google CEO Larry Page offered blanket denials, the companies asked the government if they could clear their name about the number of requests they receive under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, or FISA.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:08 am 

A genetic defect has been discovered in three families in the south of The Netherlands that appear to lead to a common ancestor. The mutation is in the SCN5A gene, and can cause acute heart failure in young and generally healthy people. Scientists here are now working on locating the ancestor, so they can estimate how many people have this defect.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:27 am 

Wendi Murdoch (Rupert's next ex) fucked Tony Blair! What did she see in him?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... vorce.html

Actually, when I read the story this morning, the Daily Mail seemed rather more sure this dangerous liason had actually taken place....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:39 pm 

Daniel Metzgar loses suit over 8-month erection
Kevin Held 2:57 PM, Jun 17, 2013

It took jurors less than two hours to decide no medical negligence was committed in a penile implant procedure that a lawsuit claimed left a Newark truck driver with an eight-month erection.

"We're stunned," Attorney Michael C. Heyden said as he and his clients left the New Castle County Courthouse. His client, Daniel Metzgar, who gave attention-grabbing statements during his testimony, had no comment.

Metzgar opted for the prosthesis after other measures failed to treat his erectile dysfunction, which he said is a result of being a longtime diabetic. He had a three-piece inflatable penile implant, consisting of inflatable cylinders inside the shaft of the penis, a fluid reservoir under the abdominal wall and a pump inside his scrotum.

Metzgar ended up getting the prosthesis removed in August 2010, after tubing from the device punctured his scrotum during a family trip to Niagara Falls.

During the week-long trial, jurors and anyone in the courtroom heard testimony of how Metzgar's erection got in the his way of life, drawing taunts from family and friends as well as stares, slurs and threats from strangers. Jurors also saw medical images of penile implants and photos of Metzgar's genitals, with tubes poking out his scrotum.

When asked if he had photographs prior to this, Metzgar replied: "We don't regularly photograph my penis." Then when the attorney told him he had taken a picture that time, he shot back: "Well I did when I had parts hanging out."

Sometimes, life is hard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:48 pm 

For an erection lasting over 4 hrs. call your doctor (or the emergency ward).

Wow there's hardly anything fun to do since they made music illegal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:07 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:
For an erection lasting over 4 hrs. call your doctor (or the emergency ward).

If I have an erection that lasts over 4 hours, my doctor will be about 20th on the list of people I'm going to call... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:57 pm 

His real problem was that every time he activated the thing, his garage door opened...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:07 pm 

Woman charged in 2nd buttocks-enhancement death

By EMILY WAGSTER PETTUS, Associated Press
Updated 2:48 pm, Monday, June 17, 2013

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — A Mississippi woman has been charged in a second death related to giving buttocks-enhancing injections without being trained or licensed.

The state attorney general's office says 53-year-old Tracey Lynn Garner of Jackson, formerly known as Morris Garner, was arrested Thursday and charged with one count of depraved heart murder. Conviction carries a potential life sentence.

The release says Garner injected "a silicone substance" into Marilyn Hale of Selma, Ala., on Jan. 13, 2010, and Hale later died.

Records show Garner was in the Hinds County Detention Center on Monday. Her attorney, John Colette, was not immediately available.

Garner had been on house arrest awaiting trial in a similar case in the 2012 death of an Atlanta woman.

Formerly known as "Morris?" Hmmmm...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:04 am 

There've been protests in Brazil, hope GG is okay. It's been a while since I've last seen him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:05 am 

I've been around, Beeps... Thanks. I am fine.

Yeah, things got hot around here these days. At least socially wise. We are in the winter... 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:01 pm 

Oh baby! Justin Bieber hits pedestrian with his white Ferrari in Hollywood, Los Angeles police confirm.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 63814.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:39 am 

Nice to see you GG!

In Dutch news: in Makkinga in Friesland, three people died and a fourth got critically injured in a fertilizer silo. It was being cleaned and the cleaner wore a gas mask. It's assumed that the first one became unwell, and the others then tried to come to his rescue.

There can't be many worse ways to go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9366 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292 ... 375  Next