Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 389  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:01 am 

US scientists reject interference

Some 10,000 US researchers have signed a statement protesting about political interference in the scientific process.

The statement, which includes the backing of 52 Nobel Laureates, demands a restoration of scientific integrity in government policy.

According to the American Union of Concerned Scientists, data is being misrepresented for political reasons.

It claims scientists working for federal agencies have been asked to change data to fit policy initiatives.

The Union has released an "A to Z" guide that it says documents dozens of recent allegations involving censorship and political interference in federal science, covering issues ranging from global warming to sex education.

Campaigners say that in recent years the White House has been able to censor the work of agencies like the Environmental Protection Agency and the Food and Drug Administration because a Republican congress has been loath to stand up for scientific integrity.

"It's very difficult to make good public policy without good science, and it's even harder to make good public policy with bad science," said Dr Peter Gleick, president of the Pacific Institute for Studies in Development, Environment and Security.

"In the last several years, we've seen an increase in both the misuse of science and I would say an increase of bad science in a number of very important issues; for example, in global climate change, international peace and security, and water resources."

The statement was released at the American Geophysical Union's Fall Meeting. It is an annual gathering of Earth scientists.

Last year, it triggered a major row when a discussion here resulted in the renowned US space agency climate scientist Dr James Hansen later claiming he had come under pressure not to talk to the media on global warming issues.

Michael Halpern from the UCS said the statement of objection to political interference had been supported by researchers regardless of their political views.

"This science statement that has now been signed by the 10,000 scientists is signed by science advisers to both Republican and Democratic administrations dating back to President Eisenhower, stating that this is not business as usual and calling for this practice to stop," he told BBC News.

The Union said is was hopeful that the new Congress taking office in January would show a greater commitment to protecting the integrity of the scientific process.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6178213.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:07 am 

Experts Expect Democrats to Increase Military Spending

by Aaron Glantz

http://www.antiwar.com/glantz/?articleid=10167

"If you think a new wind is blowing in Washington in terms of security issues because the Democrats are going to take over Congress, you probably have another think coming," Christopher Hellman of the Washington, D.C.-based Center for Arms Control and Nonproliferation told OneWorld.

Hellman said that because Democrats are afraid to appear weak on national security, they are likely to continue funding Cold War weapons systems like the F-22 fighter plane, which was designed to address projected Soviet capabilities that no longer exist. [baddy's note: Yeah, fuck that education and universal health insurance crap, let's get some F-22's that we can really USE!]

This year, the Pentagon requested no F-22 fighters, but Congress added $1.4 billion to purchase 20 of the aircraft.

The House of Representatives passed the annual defense authorization bill 396-31, with only 30 Democrats voting against it. The same bill passed 96-0 in the Senate.

"America needs a bigger and better military," reads an October report by Will Marshall of the Progressive Policy Institute, the policy arm of the centrist Democratic Leadership Council, which counts Senators Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) and Evan Bayh (D-Ind.) among its members.

"Escalating conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan have stretched the all-volunteer force to the breaking point," the report says. "Democrats should step forward with a plan to repair the damage, by adding more troops, replenishing depleted stocks of equipment, and reorganizing the force around the new missions of unconventional warfare, counterinsurgency, and civil reconstruction."

Democrats Let Gates Slide

by Aaron Glantz
http://www.antiwar.com/glantz/?articleid=10135

wish I could say that the Democratic takeover of Congress gives me hope for an end to the war in Iraq. But it doesn't. Since winning an overwhelming victory at the polls this November, the Democrats have done nothing to engender optimism in the peace camp.

Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid has ruled out any attempt to cut funding for the war. In the confirmation hearings for Secretary of Defense designate Robert Gates this week, the Democrats failed to ask a single tough question.

These are just a few, very obvious, questions that Senators could have asked Robert Gates before confirming him. The fact that they didn't ask even one of them, but instead talked ad nauseam about "bipartisanship" should be a wake-up call to antiwar voters that they'll need to hold the Democrats' feet to the fire if they want to accomplish anything in the coming years.

The vote to confirm Robert Gates was 95-2. The only Senators to vote "no" were Republicans Rick Santorum (who said Gates was too soft on "Islamic fascism") and Jim Bunning (because he opposes any negotiations with Syria and Iran).

Not a single Democrat voted against Robert Gates for Secretary of Defense. Not a single one asked him a tough question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:53 am 

The problem isn't with the DoD. The problem is with the CiC.

Rummy was the worst kind of Sec'y of Defense you could have ... one who made executive policy. A real DoD head will do one thing ... use the DoD to do whatever the President tells him to, for better or worse. That's the way it's supposed to work: the President tells a Cabinet officer what he wants done, and the Cabinet officer does it. Neither tells the other HOW to do his job, and the Cabinet officer doesn't tell the President what the job should be, only if it can be done or not.

Bush is to blame for a lot of messes and is the worst President the US has ever had, but he had a lot of "help" in that regard from Rummy and Cheney and his other handlers.

Gates seems like an old-school Sec'y of Defense. His boss will give him a task and he will tell his boss if it can be done or not and hopefully his boss won't tell him how to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:34 am 

All right, the Dem's approve of ending the war..

The people got what they voted for, the Dems are gonna approve a doubling in war spending to help end the war when they approve Bush's next, record breaking $160 billion dollar war request, (don't worry, the kids'll pay pack this additional debt, we don't have to pay).

Thank God "The democrat's heard us," we so wanted to double the war spending, and send more troops in. God bless the Democrats, and God bless Air America for spreading the truth!

And now the Democrats are for sending a shitload more troops in (it'll only be for a year and a half or so more), to end the fighting :)

I'm so glad it's over...

I bet they'll repeal the PATRIOT and Military Comission's acts too, and return the Bill of Rights to it's original form(: Right after they reject NAFTA, CAFTA, and the WTO and begin to reverse outsourcing, they gotta get that one first cuz the Democrats don't like all their big doners making so much money off of job arbetrage, oops, I mean "outsourcing."

What a nice world, I'm so glad for the Democrats :) Thank God for the lesser evils :) Another 1000 soldiers lives, and 20-30, 000 more Iraqi lives, and we'll have ended the violence! Thank you Jesus!

(Dem majority leader), Harry Reid: Brief troop surge OK in Iraq

While US President Bush is considering several options for a new strategy in Iraq incoming Senate majority leader says he will support temporary troop increase only if it were part of broader strategy to bring combat forces home by early 2008. Retired Gen. Jack Keane says it will take at least one and a half years to secure Iraq

Associated Press Published: 12.17.06, 19:36

Incoming Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Sunday he would support a temporary troop increase in Iraq only if it were part of a broader strategy to bring combat forces home by early 2008.

"If the commanders on the ground said this is just for a short period of time, we'll go along with that," said Reid, D-Nev., citing a time frame such as two months to three months. But a period longer than that, such as 18 months to 24 months, would be unacceptable, he said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:28 am 
Banned

Libby Guilty On 4 Counts In CIA Leak Trial

An 11-person jury found Vice President Dick Cheney's former chief of staff guilty on four counts in the investigation into whether a CIA operative's name was intentionally leaked to the news media.

Jurors delivered their verdict at noon EST in Washington.

The seven women and four men got the case near midday on Feb. 22.

Jurors have asked only one substantive question -- involving Libby's discussions with Time magazine reporter Matthew Cooper -- but resolved it themselves before the judge could answer.

Libby faces up to 30 years in prison but may get less time under federal sentencing guidelines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:29 am 

jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
Libby Guilty On 4 Counts In CIA Leak Trial

An 11-person jury found Vice President Dick Cheney's former chief of staff guilty on four counts in the investigation into whether a CIA operative's name was intentionally leaked to the news media.

Jurors delivered their verdict at noon EST in Washington.

The seven women and four men got the case near midday on Feb. 22.

Jurors have asked only one substantive question -- involving Libby's discussions with Time magazine reporter Matthew Cooper -- but resolved it themselves before the judge could answer.

Libby faces up to 30 years in prison but may get less time under federal sentencing guidelines.

Now, how long before he gets pardoned by Georgie?
I will say though, that I am at least mildly optimistic that this may be part of the sea change that is needed to get a serious impeachment movement going.

Eh, who'm I kidding? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:40 am 

BillyDaMt wrote:
I will say though, that I am at least mildly optimistic that this may be part of the sea change that is needed to get a serious impeachment movement going.

Dream on, Billy. :P
A week from now, most Americans will have forgotten the whole thing. Keep an eye out a well-timed TERRORIST THREAT panic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:43 pm 

feetlightup wrote:
BillyDaMt wrote:

A week from now, most Americans will have forgotten the whole thing. Keep an eye out a well-timed TERRORIST THREAT panic.

First the pardon, then his own show on FOXNEWS following the Ollie North hour.

By next week there'll be new developments in the Anna Nichole Smith and Britney Spears saga. Priorities folks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:51 am 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
feetlightup wrote:
BillyDaMt wrote:

By next week there'll be new developments in the Anna Nichole Smith and Britney Spears saga. Priorities folks.

To bad they couldn't get G. Gordon Liddy to go on after, they could have a tri-fecta of liars. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:49 pm 

BillyDaMt wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
feetlightup wrote:
BillyDaMt wrote:

To bad they couldn't get G. Gordon Liddy to go on after, they could have a tri-fecta of liars. :mrgreen:

Hahaha. They could take over for The Beltway Boys. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:37 pm 

C'mon guys, let's be fair and balanced: Ollie told the truth about his illegal smuggling; G. Gordon stonewalled in exchange for hush money, but did not lie, about his burglarizing. :mrgreen:

But Scotter lied.

vcf

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:35 pm 

Eurovision may ban Israeli entry due to lyrics on nuclear war
By The Associated Press

HELSINKI, Finland - Eurovision Song Contest organizers said Thursday they might ban this year's Israeli entry, Teapacks' Push the Button, because of what they termed its inappropriate political message.

The song, to be performed at the contest in Helsinki in May, overwhelmingly won Israel's competition Wednesday.

It is sung in English, French and Hebrew and seemingly refers indirectly to Iran's nuclear ambitions and its hard-line leader, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

"It's absolutely clear that this kind of message is not appropriate for the competition," said Kjell Ekholm, an organizer of the contest. "We'll have all the delegation leaders here in Helsinki next week, and I'm sure we'll talk about this case within the EBU [European Broadcasting Union] group."

The song warns about the dangers of nuclear war, and the lyrics of the song refer to demonic and crazy rulers, and say that he's gonna blow us up to ... kingdom come.

Ahmadinejad's recent anti-Semitic statements have added to fears in Israel that Iran's nuclear program is intended to produce weapons that could be used against that country.

The Eurovision contest will be held in Finland for the first time after the local monster band Lordi was the shock winner of the competition last year with their hard-rock entry Hard Rock Hallelujah.

One of the 18 songs that had competed to be Bulgaria's entry in the competition was dropped after it emerged that it was a copy of a song by Israeli artists Ron Shoval and Subliminal. The Bulgarian version even kept the original Hebrew-language chorus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:42 pm 

Justices hear 'Bong Hits 4 Jesus' case

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A high school senior's 14-foot banner proclaiming "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" gave the Supreme Court a provocative prop for a lively argument Monday about the extent of schools' control over student speech.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/03/19/scotus.bonghits.ap/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:09 am 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:

Justices hear 'Bong Hits 4 Jesus' case

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A high school senior's 14-foot banner proclaiming "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" gave the Supreme Court a provocative prop for a lively argument Monday about the extent of schools' control over student speech.

What was the ruling on it?

Property magnate to buy LA Times

The owner of the Los Angeles Times and other US newspapers has agreed to be bought by real estate magnate Sam Zell.

Mr Zell, who sold his own property firm last year, won the $8.2bn (£4.14bn) bidding war for Tribune Corporation and will become its largest shareholder.

He beat off fierce competition from businessmen Eli Broad and Ron Burkle, who also bid for the firm's assets.

The US newspaper industry has been suffering from falling sales and advertising revenues in recent years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6518457.stm

Meanwhile, on WDC:

Top court rejects Guantanamo test

The US Supreme Court has said it will not rule on whether detainees held at Guantanamo have the right to challenge their detention in US federal courts.

The decision means the court will not rule on the constitutionality of an anti-terror law pushed through Congress by President George W Bush last year.

The provision in question states that Guantanamo Bay inmates cannot challenge their detention in US civil courts.

Many of the 385 detainees at the camp have been held for five years or more.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6518979.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:38 am 

Actually this was in a couple of days.... Anyhow:

'Ring of Fire' burns home of late Johnny Cash

April 11, 2007

A fast-moving fire engulfed the home of late singer Johnny Cash Tuesday. The lake-side home, located in Hendersonville, Tennessee, was the home of the late singer and his wife, June Carter, from the late 1960s until their deaths in 2003.

The home was purchased by former Bee Gees singer Barry Gibb in 2006, and was undergoing renovations at the time. The cause of the fire is unknown at this time, but it is believed that a flammable wood preservative that construction workers had applied contributed to the speed in which the flames spread. Firefighters responded within 5 minutes of the fire breaking out. No workers were killed in the fire, but one firefighter suffered minor injuries.

"Maybe it's the good Lord's way to make sure that it was only Johnny's house," said Richard Sterban of The Oak Ridge Boys, who lived down the road from Cash. Neighbor Marty Stewart said "So many prominent things and prominent people in American history took place in that house—everyone from Billy Graham to Bob Dylan went into that house." The home was where Cash wrote many of his hit songs, and appeared in the Cash music video for "Hurt".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:18 am 
Banned

Gunman kills 21, wounds 21 at Virginia Tech shooting before being killed
......story still developing.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:57 am 

Latest update has upped the body count to 31 dead...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:14 am 

feetlightup wrote:

Strange...... it's nearly 8 years to the day that the Colombine High School massacre happened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:53 am 

I live 50 mintues away from VA Tech. So far local news is saying 31 dead, including the shooter, and 29 in local/reginal hospitals. Some had to be driven down the the local hopsitals here cause they had no room for them at the local hopsital up there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:32 am 

My condolences to the victims' families. A really terrible event, without any clear apparent reason (by any means it defies logic, even if there are no reasons of whatsoever to justify such a slaughter).

Gun violence here is no reason for national pride, but why does this happens so often in the US, a rich country?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:35 am 
Banned

feetlightup wrote:

http://www.zappa.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... &start=125

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:06 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
My condolences to the victims' families. A really terrible event, without any clear apparent reason (by any means it defies logic, even if there are no reasons of whatsoever to justify such a slaughter).

Gun violence here is no reason for national pride, but why does this happens so often in the US, a rich country?

yer right GG, it isn't about poverty here. that's not the issue. Somebody won't like this, but, life here is a boiler pot writ large. People are continually buffeted by compounding levels of a sense of their own powerlessness in the face of injustice. The feeling of 'This is HORRIBLE but there is nothing I can do about . . .' : It wears on people. Some people decide they hate everybody but continue on at their jobs feeling less and less able to do anything about anything, compounding levels of fear, anxiety -- stress, that's retriggered by anything they see or hear about anywhere along their path for what they see as their daily routine. :(
But the mass killings are always in routine places full of people, schools, stores, cafeterias. Which lends credence to the idea of them being 'retribution' killings because they are most times anonymous. They don't know who they are killing necessarily, just that they 'hate them all' and also, most telling, the killer in some way wants 'everyone to know' that they 'hate everybody', indiscriminately. Again, addressing the feeling of general powerlessness.
What a terrible thing has happened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:11 pm 

Meanwhile, the Bush-molded Supreme Court begins it's march toward creating a puritanical U.S.-

Supreme Court Upholds Ban on Abortion Procedure

WASHINGTON, April 18 — The Supreme Court narrowly upheld a federal law today banning a controversial abortion procedure, giving the anti-abortion movement one of its biggest legal victories in years.
The justices ruled, 5 to 4, that a law passed by Congress in 2003 and signed by President Bush does not violate the Constitution by imposing an undue burden on a woman’s right to end a pregnancy. The majority said its ruling reflects the government’s “legitimate, substantial interest in preserving and promoting fetal life.”

“The act, on its face, is not void for vagueness and does not impose an undue burden from any overbreadth,” Justice Anthony M. Kennedy wrote for the court, rejecting key arguments of the law’s opponents……

The court majority said that the 2003 law would not affect most abortions, which are performed early in a pregnancy; that the law does not encourage “arbitrary or discriminatory enforcement,” and that alternatives to the prohibited procedure are available. Justice Kennedy was joined by Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. and Justices Antonin Scalia, Clarence Thomas and Samuel A. Alito Jr.

Critics of the law had attacked it in part because it does not provide for a broad exception to protect the health of the woman. It does, however, provide for an exception to safe a woman’s life.Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg called the majority decision “alarming” and a retreat from the court’s earlier holdings. “It tolerates, indeed applauds, federal intervention to ban nationwide a procedure found necessary and proper in certain cases by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists,” Justice Ginsburg wrote, in a dissent joined by Justices John Paul Stevens, David H. Souter and Stephen G. Breyer.

The ruling overturned findings of several lower federal courts that had found the 2003 law unconstitutional. Today’s ruling is also a change of course from a Supreme Court ruling in 2000, when the lineup of justices was different, striking down a Nebraska law banning the procedure. Justice Kennedy was among the dissenters who would have upheld the Nebraska law.

Justice Ginsburg was so disappointed in today’s ruling that she took the highly unusual step of reading part of her dissent from the bench.

As for the fact that most abortions are performed early in pregnancy, and the majority’s assertion that alternatives to the prohibited procedure are available for later in pregnancies, Justice Ginsburg said adolescents and indigent women have more trouble obtaining an abortion early, so today’s ruling could put them at a disadvantage.

Justice Ginsburg also took issue with language in the law finding a “consensus” that the banned procedure is never necessary.

Today’s decision gave the anti-abortion forces what they had hoped for with the more conservative makeup of the high court since Justice Alito replaced Justice Sandra Day O’Connor. Abortion opponents are sure to be pleased by some of the language in Justice Kennedy’s opinion, including his observation that “the government may use its voice and its regulatory authority to show its profound respect for the life within the woman.”

Yes, it was useless anymore
(Move back now!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:33 pm 

joeypsychotic wrote:
Meanwhile, the Bush-molded Supreme Court begins it's march toward creating a puritanical U.S.-

Supreme Court Upholds Ban on Abortion Procedure

What's the big deal? I thought murder already was illegal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:38 pm 

No, Bush just decides when murder is legal and when it isn't.

Yes, it was useless anymore
(Move back now!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 389  Next