Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313 ... 372  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:32 am 

Ghostie:
http://www.zappa.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24959

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:55 pm 

This seems typically Canadian!

"The Canadian military has been secretly test-driving a $620,000 stealth snowmobile in its quest to quietly whisk troops on clandestine operations in the Arctic."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/sto ... obile.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:11 pm 

just plain doug wrote:

"The Canadian military has been secretly test-driving a $620,000 stealth snowmobile in its quest to quietly whisk troops on clandestine operations in the Arctic."

One more good reason to get out of it !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:46 am 

Mij wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

Canada has a military?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:08 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Canada has a military?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:17 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:

Canada has a military?

And they whisk their troops? How could they!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:01 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Mij wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

Canada has a military?

Yep.
No weapons, though. Just the soldiers.
We'll politely take over your country, because no-one will be expecting us!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:31 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
No weapons, though. Just the soldiers.
We'll politely take over your country, because no-one will be expecting us!!

No RSVP for the RCMP! They're the surprise guests that never leave. Very polite and neat though. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:08 pm 

David Miranda row: What is schedule 7?

The partner of a Guardian journalist who published documents leaked by US whistleblower Edward Snowden has been held by UK police under schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act 2000.

The detention of David Miranda, the partner of Glenn Greenwald, for nine hours at Heathrow has prompted questions over the use of the law.

What is schedule 7 and how does it work?

Under the schedule, UK police can stop, examine and search passengers at ports, airports and international rail terminals.

Unlike with some other police powers to stop and search, there is no requirement for an officer to have a "reasonable suspicion" that someone is involved with terrorism before they are stopped.

A passenger can be held for questioning for up to nine hours and those detained must "give the examining officer any information in his possession which the officer requests".

Any property seized must be returned after seven days, but data from mobile phones and laptops may be downloaded and retained by the police for longer.

Those detained are compelled to answer questions from the police and must not "obstruct" or "frustrate" any police searches.

If someone fails to co-operate they are deemed to have committed a criminal offence and could face up to three months in prison, a fine or both.

MORE

CIA documents acknowledge its role in Iran's 1953 coup

The CIA has released documents which for the first time formally acknowledge its key role in the 1953 coup which ousted Iran's democratically elected Prime Minister, Mohammad Mossadeq.

The documents were published on the independent National Security Archive on the 60th anniversary of the coup.

They come from the CIA's internal history of Iran from the mid-1970s.

"The military coup... was carried out under CIA direction as an act of US foreign policy," says one excerpt.

MORE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:42 am 

David Miranda detention : Ex-MP Louise Mensch v hacker

Using the Terrorism Act to detain the partner of a Guardian reporter who covered US and UK security services was "legally sound", Scotland Yard has said.

It was responding to claims it misused its powers by holding David Miranda for nine hours at Heathrow Airport.

Mr Miranda is the partner of Guardian journalist Glenn Greenwald, who has published information from US whistleblower Edward Snowden.

The UK's reviewer of terror laws has said the length of detention was "unusual" and will meet police later.

Former Conservative MP Louise Mensch and computer hacker Jacob Applebaum debated the case on BBC's Newsnight programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23764634 [video of tv clash]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:27 am 

We have crazy law officers up here, too.
An 18 year old was on a streetcar, brandishing a knife. No hostages, he was alone on the streetcar. He wouldn't put down the knife, so an officer shot him 9 times, killing him. Of course, passersby recorded it on camera phones.

Toronto police officer to be charged with second-degree murder, in streetcar shooting death of Sammy Yatim

http://globalnews.ca/news/788381/toront ... mmy-yatim/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:30 am 

"Got a leaky reactor? Take it off the news; problem solved."

There are two story's here:

One is the fact that probably the greatest story in human history, (experts know it can easily kill tens of millions, and they can't say that it won't be the end of life as we know it)...is KEPT OFF THE NEWS so the people will think about other things instead...

The greatest story in history, and it's kept off the news so we won't learn about it and complain; how many people do you know of have called their senators and representatives demanding to shut down all US reactors?

Germany makes sense, they are shutting down all their reactors...Americans are not that smart, we even have Indian Point neat NYC, with it's spent fuel pool far-far more overloaded than Fukishima. The other problem with Indian Point is NYC is just east of the site, where the wind will blow the shit right on 11 million people.
Germany Nuclear Power Plants To Be Entirely Shut Down By 2022

With 16 times the radiation on the ground in the more heavily populated immediate area than Chernobyl which has killed a million people so far (947, 000), it's may not be unreasonable to say millions will die, and it's likely that at least a million people have received their death sentences already.

Isn't it interesting that a reactor can kill at least millions of people...we still are OK with it and won't complain as long as we are kept ignorant of it... How does one define profound ignorance?

...that's the power of the news...it's a story in itself...

"We don't get excited when it crumbles and breaks."

The other story is the story itself:

The spent fuel pools hold far more fuel than the reactor cores themselves. Hundreds of tons suspended 100 feet in the air on severely damaged structures, with NO containment and with makeshift cooling for that fails..in an area where there is better than 90% chance of mag 7 earthquake in the next three years.

If the water comes out of the pool for any reason the zirconium cladding on the spent fuel will catch fire and all the spent fuel will rise into the atmosphere for worldwide distribution, (13 times the radioactivity of Chernobyl in this one Unit 4 fuel pool)...and it will just keep coming with no way to stop it...food will just get more and more an more contaminated.

Another scenario is it will go critical and change it's geometry and continue a sustained above (or below), ground criticality, again sending crap airborne for worldwide distribution.

At the very least, much of Japan (including the 37 million people in Tokyo), will have to be evacuated.

You can't make this shit up...this is what the experts say could very easily happen...this is what this next year long procedure threatens to cause...and if the procedure is not done, then it is likely nature will do this to the pool itself, (it's collapsing).

So they must get the fuel out of the pools, starting with the most immediate threat, Unit 4. The fuel and the pool is damaged, and the computer controlled crane is toast...so it must be removed manually.

What can trigger the reaction (criticality in th epool will evaporate the water, triggering the zirconium fire, releasing the isotopes directly into the atmosphere)?
A damaged element changes it's geometry while it's being removed.
An element on the crane swings too close to another element starting the chain reaction.
Elements get knocked over into each other, (which will start the chain reaction).
An element crumbles and falls on another, again starting the chain reaction.

If any of the above happens, it will likely be something between tens of millions, and some say billions will die. In my view they will never get the 37 million people out of the Tokyo area, so they will all die....and that's the best scenario of this spent pool fuel fire scenario.

Worse...the WHOLE Fukishima site will be so radioactive no-one will be able to go near it...meaning the other fuel pools and already melted reactor cores will be at the mercy of whatever nature does (the next earthquake which has a 95% chance of occurring in the next three years).

This well may kill us all...and it's not on the news...that way a few can keep making money off of nuclear power.

Here's links on the story:

Insight: After disaster, the deadliest part of Japan’s nuclear clean-up
"The operation, beginning this November at the plant’s Reactor No. 4, is fraught with danger, including the possibility of a large release of radiation if a fuel assembly breaks, gets stuck or gets too close to an adjacent bundle, said Gundersen and other nuclear experts."

..."Containing radiation equivalent to 14,000 times the amount released in the atomic bomb attack on Hiroshima 68 years ago"

The Greatest Single Threat to Humanity: Fuel Pool Number 4

There's more on the web...it's pretty easy to find...this site is updates regularly:

http://fukushimaupdate.com/

Here's an informative page on the situation in the United States...we're not as smart as Japan, we overload our pools to four times capacity and put them upwind of the most densly populated areas...and then don't call our senators and representatives to have them removed...even after millions have been killed by reactors...how fucking stupid can we get?

US stores spent nuclear fuel rods at 4 times pool capacity

Overloading not only gives more nasties to release across NYC, but close spacing geometrically increases chances of criticality and spent fuel fire....anything for a buck.

Anyway the wind blows, it don't matter to meeeeee :lol:

Last edited by baddy on Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:42 am 

The British had a lot of radioactive leakage and a fire at a nuclear plant called "Windscale". The British government's solution to the safety problems was to rename the plant "Sellafield".
That seems pretty par for the course for the nuclear industry everywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:08 am 

Fukishima is not contained and will not be contained. Tons of radioactive water are flowing into the Pacific every day. No one knows for sure exactly where the cores are. No one has a clue as to what to do to end the emergency. No one will give a fuck until eyeballs start bleeding in Tokyo.

http://rinf.com/alt-news/breaking-news/ ... eve/60952/

The Stuxnet virus, which Snowden has revealed to have been created by the US and Israel, was found on many PCs in Japan in 2010. This virus attacks the emergency back-up systems of nuclear power plants, and was intended for Iran. Did it wind up at Fukishima? The back-up systems did not work correctly, causing much of the current problem.

http://web.archive.org/web/201010081119 ... 003493.htm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:15 am 

A rope leash wrote:
No one will give a fuck until eyeballs start bleeding in Tokyo.

I think that's over optimistic. No one will give a fuck until an investigation reveals that we all contracted cancer 4 years ago... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:31 am 

Hello baddy, how's things been going? :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:17 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Hey Kaptn' How's it goin :)

Going very well on this end. I'm taking a semester off to finish renovations on a house I just moved in to. Still employed. Daughters are doing fine. ...And my dick still works(:

Can't beat that, (lol). :) :)

A rope leash wrote:
Fukishima is not contained and will not be contained. Tons of radioactive water are flowing into the Pacific every day. No one knows for sure exactly where the cores are. No one has a clue as to what to do to end the emergency. No one will give a fuck until eyeballs start bleeding in Tokyo.

Yeah...that too... I went mostly vegetarian a couple years ago...but I was wondering about migratory fish swimming in the Japan area then back to the US, (lol, learned about that one in The Chemical Brothers The Salmon Dance ).

I care, you care, others do, but you are right in general, it's not on the news so it's not in the general consensus that the news controls...it's rather amazing to me that reactors can and have killed millions, and ...oops, American Idol is on, gotta run...

They are smart in Germany to shut down all their reactors, it can be done.

If anyone wants to start calling their senators and representatives, one can get their phone numbers by putting in their zip codes here:

http://www.opencongress.org/people/zipcodelookup

They need to know we won't lay down for this:

Obama Stands by Nuclear Power

"WASHINGTON—Obama administration officials Monday brushed aside calls for a freeze on new U.S. nuclear power development, and sought to reassure the public the nation's nuclear facilities are safe and the threat of harmful radiation reaching U.S. soil from Japan is minimal."
Obama says we're safe, that's good to know. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:12 am 

baddy wrote:

"WASHINGTON—Obama administration officials Monday brushed aside calls for a freeze on new U.S. nuclear power development, and sought to reassure the public the nation's nuclear facilities are safe and the threat of harmful radiation reaching U.S. soil from Japan is minimal."

You're absolutely right on this one IMHO. Obama (and every fucking other US Prez, not to mention the French) are being seriously deceptive.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:33 pm 

Someone at The Daily Caller seems to think the color of the Pres' dogs is veiled racism:

The Obamas got a new puppy, everyone!

"With the addition of Sunny, the Obamas now have two black Portuguese water dogs.

The Obamas do not have any white dogs."

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/08/19/the-o ... z2cXkocJgL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:55 pm 

Nuclear ?
No doubt we're doomed
(I knew one day it will fit right in :P )

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:11 pm 

pronounced: newk-you-ler :wink:

baddy wrote:

A rope leash wrote:

I care, you care, others do, but you are right in general, it's not on the news so it's not in the general consensus that the news controls...it's rather amazing to me that reactors can and have killed millions, and ...oops, American Idol is on, gotta run...

If anyone wants to start calling their senators and representatives, one can get their phone numbers by putting in their zip codes here:

Look who else supports nuclear energy -

Ron Paul: Dangers of Nuclear Energy Overblown
http://www.ronpaul.com/2011-03-17/ron-p ... overblown/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:51 pm 

I wonder how Ron Paul feels about it now, after the lessons of Fukushima, (that video was old, from before anybody knew anything that was to come of Fukushima).

I got curious about how he felt now, but couldn't find anything recent on Ron Paul's position, after Fukushima unfolded.

We all learned something from Fukushima, possibly Dr. Paul did too, (Obama did not, June 2013, Obama says new nukes are key).

I used to be for nuclear power, I worked in it for six or seven years, (handled fuel elements and U308).

The lessons of the unfolding story of Fukushima completely changed me, I am dead set against it now.

The next year while they unload Unit4 is the most scared I've ever been.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:22 pm 

edited -

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
pronounced: newk-you-ler :wink:

baddy wrote:

A rope leash wrote:

Look who else supports nuclear energy -

Ron Paul: Dangers of Nuclear Energy Overblown
http://www.ronpaul.com/2011-03-17/ron-p ... overblown/

baddy wrote:
I wonder how Ron Paul feels about it now, after the lessons of Fukushima, (that video was old, from before anybody knew anything that was to come of Fukushima).

I got curious about how he felt now, but couldn't find anything recent on Ron Paul's position, after Fukushima unfolded.

We all learned something from Fukushima, possibly Dr. Paul did too, (Obama did not, June 2013, Obama says new nukes are key).

I used to be for nuclear power, I worked in it for six or seven years, (handled fuel elements and U308).

The lessons of the unfolding story of Fukushima completely changed me, I am dead set against it now.

The next year while they unload Unit4 is the most scared I've ever been.

Nor will you find anything recent from him. Ron Paul was certainly aware of Chernobyl at the time that he made that statement, and even mentions and downplays the Three Mile Island disaster. He was, as is currently his son, deep in the pockets of the energy industry.

As far as my own views, I can't say that I'm a supporter of atomic energy. There really isn't any perfect fool proof energy solution. Wind turbines are harmful to birds. Dams ruin water ecology. Solar panels are expensive to build. Fossil fuels cause global warming and widespread pollution...I live not far from the sight of the single worst tar sands oil spill thanks to Enbridge (my states taxpayers will get stuck with the bulk of the clean-up costs) and fracking is a hot button issue locally (mind you, my states govt is entirely under control by Republicans and Libertarians in every branch on nearly every level, and will be that way for years to come thanks to gerrymandering and all this happened on their watch). Nuclear energy is a global catastrophe that destroys everything in it's wake.

Last edited by SPACEBROTHER on Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:45 pm 

baddy wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Hey Kaptn' How's it goin :)

Going very well on this end. I'm taking a semester off to finish renovations on a house I just moved in to. Still employed. Daughters are doing fine. ...And my dick still works(:

Can't beat that, (lol). :) :)

Well, ya can try and beat it, just keep it lubricated and take it nice and easy, then let her rip! Nice job on the fixer-upper, and cool pix too. Thanks for sharing those bro! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:17 am 

Bradley Manning sentenced to 35 years in Wikileaks case

The US soldier convicted of handing a trove of secret government documents to anti-secrecy website Wikileaks has been sentenced to 35 years in prison.

Pte First Class Bradley Manning, 25, was convicted in July of 20 charges against him, including espionage.

Last week, he apologised for hurting the US and for "the unexpected results" of his actions.

Prosecutors had asked for a 60-year sentence in order to send a message to future potential leakers.

Pte Manning will receive a credit against his sentence of about three and a half years, including time he has already served in jail and 112 days in recompense for the harsh conditions of his initial confinement.

He could be eligible for parole in about 11 years.

On Twitter, Wikileaks called the sentence a "significant strategic victory". (...)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23784288

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313 ... 372  Next