Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9468 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314 ... 379  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:17 am 

Bradley Manning sentenced to 35 years in Wikileaks case

The US soldier convicted of handing a trove of secret government documents to anti-secrecy website Wikileaks has been sentenced to 35 years in prison.

Pte First Class Bradley Manning, 25, was convicted in July of 20 charges against him, including espionage.

Last week, he apologised for hurting the US and for "the unexpected results" of his actions.

Prosecutors had asked for a 60-year sentence in order to send a message to future potential leakers.

Pte Manning will receive a credit against his sentence of about three and a half years, including time he has already served in jail and 112 days in recompense for the harsh conditions of his initial confinement.

He could be eligible for parole in about 11 years.

On Twitter, Wikileaks called the sentence a "significant strategic victory". (...)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23784288

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:22 am 

GOOD, fuck that little faggot!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:02 am 

I wish I had something to leak. I'd do it in jayp's face. Bradley Manning deserves freedom. Our President and the four before him deserve prison.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:09 am 

jaypfunk wrote:

Actually, jaypfunk I'm surprised.
I thought you would have been disappointed that the "little faggot" didn't fry.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:06 pm 

Manning's Nobel Peace Prize nomination is over 100, 000.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:44 am 

Spy bill passes into law amid wide criticism

In a landmark law change, the shadowy Government Communications Security Bureau has been given explicit powers to spy on New Zealanders when it is acting under warrant and for agencies including the Security Intelligence Service, police and defence.

Parliament ushered in the change last night by a vote of 61 votes to 59, almost a decade after it passed the 2003 act promising that the foreign intelligence gathering agency would not be used to spy on New Zealanders.

The Government has rejected criticism of the law change as scaremongering and believes it is on the right side of public opinion despite widespread protests. But a Fairfax Media-Ipsos poll yesterday revealed three-quarters of people have concerns about the change.

In belated recognition of public concern, Prime Minister John Key repeatedly promised yesterday that nothing in last night's law change allowed for wholesale spying on New Zealanders.

But he conceded the issue had "agitated and alarmed" some people and blamed "misinformation and conspiracy theories" by his opponents.

The legislation was hastily drafted after a top-secret review found the GCSB may have illegally spied on 85 people over a 10-year period.

That review was ordered in the wake of revelations the bureau illegally spied on German internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom.

The 2003 act clearly stated that the GCSB could not spy on New Zealanders. Mr Key repeated last night that the law change was designed only to fix that ambiguity. The law allowed the GCSB to do what it had been doing for the last decade - provide assistance to police, NZSIS and NZDF, he said. That assistance had been frozen since the question mark over its legality.

"If I could disclose some of the risks and threats from which our security services protect us, I think it would cut dead some of the more fanciful claims that I've heard lately from those who oppose this bill."

Mr Key has previously claimed New Zealanders were training in terrorist camps in Yemen. In Parliament yesterday, National MP Mark Mitchell claimed a satellite phone stolen by al Qaeda in Iraq had been used to make 14 phone calls to New Zealand.

The law change also allows the GCSB to help protect government organisations and important private sector entities from cyber-attack.

There would be times where a serious cyber intrusion was detected against a New Zealander and the GCSB would need to look at the content of someone's emails and the law would allow that, acting under a warrant.

Labour leader David Shearer accused the Government of ramming the legislation through against a backdrop of rising international disquiet over the intelligence agencies.

Labour would replace the legislation after a wide-ranging inquiry into the security agencies, he said.

Yesterday, Mr Key used his speech to offer assurances and spell out how the GCSB would operate:

There would be no "wholesale spying" on New Zealanders.

The GCSB would need a warrant from the independent commissioner of security warrants, and the prime minister, before it could intercept a New Zealander's communications. There would be a two-step process for warrants, requiring the GCSB to go back to the prime minister for a new one to access the content of a person's emails, only where the content was relevant to a significant threat.

GCSB would be required to have the consent of the New Zealander involved, unless there was good reason not to.

The legislation also allowed for a review of the intelligence agencies in 2015 and every five to seven years after that.

The GCSB would also be required to disclose how many times it had assisted other agencies and how many warrants and authorisations it had been issued.

SALMOND SLAMS 'GUTTER POLITICS'

Leading academic Dame Anne Salmond has accused Attorney-General Chris Finlayson of "gutter politics" after he criticised her opposition to the spying bill as "shrill and unprofessional".

During debate on the bill's third reading yesterday, Mr Finlayson said the "high and mighty, such as Dame Anne Salmond", were wrong in their opposition. He labelled statements likening the GCSB bill to Nazi Germany as "disgraceful".

In two newspaper columns, Dame Anne mentioned that in Nazi Germany, critics were told "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear", and likened that to arguments by the bill's supporters.

In Parliament yesterday, Mr Finlayson also slated former Labour prime minister Sir Geoffrey Palmer, who he said allowed the GCSB to operate during his time with "no legislation at all".

But he claimed the "worst contribution" had come from Dame Anne - an anthropologist and the current New Zealander of the Year - whom he accused of being "shrill and unprofessional".

Dame Anne responded after the legislation was passed last night, saying: "It's incredibly sad. I think people who have raised concerns about the bill are raising them because they care about democracy, and they care about the rights of our citizens.

"If we're talking about democratic freedom in New Zealand, and it's descended into gutter politics like that, I just find it so sad."

- © Fairfax NZ News

As an aside the leader of the Labour party, the NZ governments main opposition in parliament, resigned today.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:03 am 

They were already watching you, Ghost. Only now it is "lawfully sound"...

jaypfunk wrote:

I believe you is the government's whore...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:38 am 

Bradley Manning: I want to live as a woman

http://www.today.com/news/bradley-manning-i-want-live-woman-6C10974915

Who foots the bill for gender re-assignment? The government?

Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:01 pm 

baddy wrote:

Really Baddy, all this was out there before him and the Intel concerning assets he gave up should get him hung, peoples lives were put at risk due to him... :idea:

Just because people are ignorant fucks and don't keep up on what’s going on doesn't mean some guy who is a traitor gets a medal… :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:49 pm 

People's lives were taken illegally in Iraq, he made sure everyone knew about it = hero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:31 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
People's lives were taken illegally in Iraq, he made sure everyone knew about it = hero

Come now we all know the whole fucking Iraq war was fake, everyone knows that and in war people get killed rightfully and wrongfully, I have no doubt many war crimes occured, again old news. But he put current living assets at risk and devulged secrets, traitor plain and simple...off with his head... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:53 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

I agree.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:41 pm 

Mij wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

I agree.

We already knew that, he also put working agents in real time in jeopardy. Is he a whistle blower or a patriot is for a jury to decide. He also wants to be a she...in prison...that's more of a reward you'd think. Not that there's anything wrong with being GLS or T.
Whether this has an effect on any more whistle blowers and the protection they're allowed I dunno. I'd hope it would make our loyal people in the service of the USA feel a lot safer doing their job knowing that anyone, for any reason, is gonna pay for giving their asses up.
Shitty job spy vs spy, but someone's gotta watch our underbelly and backside and keep it quite until everyone loves everyone or Cain will kill Abel. (Not that they were even real-just used for example only)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:49 pm 

Plook wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

Come now we all know the whole fucking Iraq war was fake, everyone knows that and in war people get killed rightfully and wrongfully, I have no doubt many war crimes occured, again old news. But he put current living assets at risk and devulged secrets, traitor plain and simple...off with his head... :smoke:

The only thing "plain and simple" here is your IQ, shit-for-brains...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:09 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Mij wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

I agree.

We already knew that, he also put working agents in real time in jeopardy. Is he a whistle blower or a patriot is for a jury to decide. He also wants to be a she...in prison...that's more of a reward you'd think. Not that there's anything wrong with being GLS or T.
Whether this has an effect on any more whistle blowers and the protection they're allowed I dunno. I'd hope it would make our loyal people in the service of the USA feel a lot safer doing their job knowing that anyone, for any reason, is gonna pay for giving their asses up.
Shitty job spy vs spy, but someone's gotta watch our underbelly and backside and keep it quite until everyone loves everyone or Cain will kill Abel. (Not that they were even real-just used for example only)

Iraq is old news. I agree with KK that he did indeed put agents in jeopardy.

The way some people are propping up Snowden and Manning is the same as calling Benedict Arnold a hero.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:57 am 

Plook wrote:
baddy wrote:

Really Baddy, all this was out there before him and the Intel concerning assets he gave up should get him hung, peoples lives were put at risk due to him... :idea:

Just because people are ignorant fucks and don't keep up on what’s going on doesn't mean some guy who is a traitor gets a medal… :smoke:

hi plook, who was harmed, or put in harm's way by Cpl Manning's actions? Exactly who? and who said so?
If you followed the trial, you would know, 'putting assets in harm's way' was used as justification for charges,
but not backed up by data, or specifics... if you try to find different info, you will come to the same conclusion.
who was harmed? who said so?
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:02 am 

If it wasn't going to be Manning , it would have been somebody else.

Mix technology with a human conscience and you would get the same result .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:11 am 

700,000 documents most of which are a far cry from what one wd consider classified.
They stamp nearly everything classified, and that's the problem
And don't forget, it was a handful of newspapers that published the gory stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:27 am 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:

The way some people are propping up Snowden and Manning is the same as calling Benedict Arnold a hero.

Sorry you feel that way. This is the deal breaker for me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:05 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
Plook wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

The only thing "plain and simple" here is your IQ, shit-for-brains...

Hey you and I agreed not to communicate through this forum and it has been going fine for months now, why can't you be a man of your word, should we add honesty issues to your long list of personal failings...don't respond to me anymore, keep your fucking word...what a fucking dipshit loser wanna be bully... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:08 am 

simplex II wrote:
Plook wrote:
baddy wrote:

hi plook, who was harmed, or put in harm's way by Cpl Manning's actions? Exactly who? and who said so?
If you followed the trial, you would know, 'putting assets in harm's way' was used as justification for charges,
but not backed up by data, or specifics... if you try to find different info, you will come to the same conclusion.

As I recall there were actual assets names in the released documents and it was reported as such, I am sure since the original release the names have been retracted. It would be on you to show that the reporting at the time was incorrect, if you have something I would be more than glad to see it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:07 am 

http://www.avclub.com/articles/ben-affl ... ap,101999/

by Sean O'Neal August 22, 2013

After a long and careful search for an actor who can bring to the role the necessary depth of jaw, Warner Bros. has announced that Ben Affleck will play Batman, as you have no doubt already heard through the sustained, mockingly-Boston-accented screams of the Internet tonight. Batfleck will make his debut in the Man Of Steel sequel—tentatively titled Batman Vs. Superman: What’re You Looking At, Queeah?—in 2015, which is rumored to be based on the acclaimed Frank Miller series, The Dark Knight Looks Wicked Pissed Off Tonight, I’d Definitely Give Him Some Space, Charlene.

Still, despite all the hilarious jokes like these and approximately 100,000 others involving Matt Damon playing Robin, Ben Affleck wasn’t a choice made lightly, according to director Zack Snyder, as well as every preemptively defensive article about this decision you will read for the next two years. “Ben provides an interesting counter-balance to Henry [Cavill]’s Superman. He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne,” said Snyder, whose filmmaking specialty is definitely “layered portrayals,” of the need to cast someone who could seem just slightly more charismatic than Henry Cavill.

And yet, Snyder is right that Affleck is indeed a seasoned crime fighter, with him having played Daredevil in a movie that is being noticeably omitted from most official stories announcing the casting, to the point where it seems really glaringly obvious, and even a version of Superman in Hollywoodland—a movie that finds Affleck mocked so mercilessly for playing Superman, he up and kills himself, so maybe everybody should give him a chance, lest we want blood on our hands. And yet, fans can't help but point out that Batman is obviously a much different character, a brooding soul driven by the sort of masterfully conveyed inner torment that Affleck is so skilled at hiring other people to portray in films that maybe he should be directing instead of playing Batman. But, maybe if he clenches his teeth like so…? Or, let me ask you this: To be a hero, Bruce Wayne must put on the mask, but must Bruce Wayne put on a shirt?

Anyway, for all our delightful late-night japes, it’s important to remember that nearly every actor who has stepped into a Batman film—from Michael Keaton to George Clooney to Heath Ledger—has faced this same sort of knee-jerk ridicule, and only occasionally deserved it. Also, that Ben Affleck is an increasingly mature actor who has by now earned the benefit of the doubt that he may surprise, no matter what’s asked of him. And it's also important to remember that, ultimately, you are powerless before the machine, your voice a mere mewling in the dark that will be inevitably silenced either by acceptance or grudging acquiescence, because you know damn well you want to see what happens when Ben Affleck plays Batman.

Pudding
Delicious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:10 am 

brainpang wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:

Sorry you feel that way. This is the deal breaker for me.

I don't believe there is a single country in the world that lacks high level espionage programs. I believe that these guys knowingly entered these programs with the intention to extort for personal gain. Because they got caught in the act, they say they leaked the information out of conscience. Somebody pays these guys to get information.

I'm as uncomfortable with the spying on citizens programs as the next guy and believe that the collection of information that ends up falling into the wrong hands is a dangerous game. On the one hand, if the programs serve to save lives, keep society from falling into complete anarchy, lawlessness and disarray, then I believe it's a good thing. If the programs are used for gaining wealth, power and greed, it's a bad thing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:13 am 

Well put SB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:35 am 

Plook wrote:
simplex II wrote:
Plook wrote:

As I recall there were actual assets names in the released documents and it was reported as such, I am sure since the original release the names have been retracted. It would be on you to show that the reporting at the time was incorrect, if you have something I would be more than glad to see it.

sry plook, you made an assertion, you get to back that assertion up. I did not make your assertion, so I don't have to back up your assertion for you. :mrgreen:
What I asserted was that if you followed the trial, you would have known that the claims of 'harmed assets' were used as justification for the charges against Manning. But the gov's secrecy with the harm aspect, were so poorly presented and without merit, that Manning was found not guilty of the 'aiding the enemy' charge. The gov claimed he was aiding the enemy, the talking heads on tv said he was aiding the enemy, and harming assets. But in trial, the prosecution said it did not have to show he had harmed assets, only that he had 'aided the enemy'. Yet the judge said they had not made that case.
From the court,
"The court found, “PFC. Manning knowingly converted the records and information therein, by sending them to WikiLeaks. These knowing conversions involved a misuse of the records, and information therein, that seriously and substantially interfered with the United States government’s property rights. The records, and information therein, are classified. The knowing conversions by PFC Manning deprived the United States government of the ability to protect its classified information by storing it only on classified networks required to be located in a [secure compartmented intelligence facility] and by restricting access to the classified information only to persons with appropriate security clearances and a need to know the information.” "
The court released doc that published the 'special findings' investigation which is where the judge showed her logic in acquitting Manning of the 'aiding the enemy' charge is here.

Again, in that article, KG points out, "There is nothing in the “special findings” on WikiLeaks. It is unknown what conclusions she came to on whether it was a legitimate journalistic organization or not. She did not have to make a determination in her “special findings” because she acquitted him of the “aiding the enemy” charge."

Similarly, I don't feel I need to explain how and where the UCMJ defines the overlaps and distinctions between 'harming assets' and 'aiding the enemy' If you feel the need to, have at it. It's a complicated world and that makes following the necessary details difficult, I know. But unfortunately, taking a government's word at face value creates problems, both for it's servants and for it's people it says it serves. Is it too much to ask to not be part of the problem? (In this case excessive secrecy and punishing whistleblowers). I think not, when it's our country at stake. :mrgreen:

If you want to know more, try reading some of the very few members of the press following it since the beginning, kevin gosztola. He gets to go on with his life now :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9468 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314 ... 379  Next