Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325 ... 375  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:53 pm 

Caputh wrote:
What was the animal stuffed with? :twisted:

Broken spirits, dreams, hearts & hymens. :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:24 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Caputh wrote:

...and walnuts!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:45 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Caputh wrote:

...and walnuts!

Can't forget the nuts, now can we! :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:27 pm 

A. Muniz (Brazil) won the US open surfing championship at Huntington Beach. Pretty cool eh Mr. GG! 8) :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:07 pm 

As Europe erupts over US spying, NSA chief says government must stop media

With General Alexander calling for NSA reporting to be halted, US and UK credibility as guardians of press freedom is crushed

The most under-discussed aspect of the NSA story has long been its international scope. That all changed this week as both Germany and France exploded with anger over new revelations about pervasive NSA surveillance on their population and democratically elected leaders.

As was true for Brazil previously, reports about surveillance aimed at leaders are receiving most of the media attention, but what really originally drove the story there were revelations that the NSA is bulk-spying on millions and millions of innocent citizens in all of those nations. The favorite cry of US government apologists -–everyone spies! – falls impotent in the face of this sort of ubiquitous, suspicionless spying that is the sole province of the US and its four English-speaking surveillance allies (the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand).
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... government

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:34 pm 

The US Employment / Labor Force Participation Rate has sunken to a 35 year low of 63.2%...

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS11300000

Thanks Obama!

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:53 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
The US Employment / Labor Force Participation Rate has sunken to a 35 year low of 63.2%...

Thanks ma!

Does that figure in the people that quit they're jobs too DB? I've read where that's on the rise, but I don't know why. :?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:42 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Thanks ma!

Does that figure in the people that quit they're jobs too DB? I've read where that's on the rise, but I don't know why. :?

An observation of that graph reveals that the downward direction trend was happening long before Obama was the president, when the decline started and was created while Republicans controlled every branch of gov't.

According to the data here ----> http://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and- ... pdate.aspx

The states with the highest unemployment rates are almost entirely controlled by, you guessed it...Republicans.

Disco Douche has once again confused facts with reality, like he is typically known for around these parts. Too bad he has me on ignore for what would be a most comical rebuttal.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:50 am 

So why are more working people quitting their jobs now SB? That's what I wanted to know and if those #'s reflect that trend.

Bummer about Lou Reed. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:11 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Thanks Obama!

Yes.

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:57 am 

Mismanagement. Often during a crisis the bad manager manages to stay at the helm and keep his job safe. A lot of people can see their own heads on the line and will look out for another job ahead of time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:46 am 

BBP wrote:
Mismanagement. Often during a crisis the bad manager manages to stay at the helm and keep his job safe. A lot of people can see their own heads on the line and will look out for another job ahead of time.

Now that makes sense. Lousy way to manage though. Thanks Bonny. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:40 pm 

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/28/opinion/z ... nsa-world/

NSA scandal highlights Obama's unfulfilled promise
By Julian Zelizer, CNN Contributor
updated 3:10 PM EDT, Mon October 28, 2013

(CNN) -- The scandal over allegations about NSA surveillance overseas, including monitoring of the cell phone conversations of German Chancellor Angela Merkel and millions of phone calls in France, is another huge blow to President Barack Obama.

The news has caused a big uproar in Western Europe, with Merkel demanding a response from Washington. It was "incredible that an allied country like the United States and at this point goes as far as spying on private communications that have no strategic justification," said Jean-Marc Ayrault, the Prime Minister of France. "Trust needs to be rebuilt," Merkel said.

While observers warn these complaints are hypocritical and have more to do with domestic politics in Western Europe than true feelings about the United States, this incident is nonetheless much more than a mere blip in the time line of Obama's presidency. The recent National Security Agency revelation is one more step in a series of revelations about practices that have undercut a central promise that candidate Obama made in 2008 -- to repair America's standing in the world.

When Obama took office, America's position in the global community had greatly deteriorated. President George W. Bush's war in Iraq, and his unilateral approach to foreign policy, had generated tremendous distrust and anger overseas, including among our closest allies.

So, too, had Bush's apparent disregard for civil liberties and willingness to ignore international standards against the use of torture. The United States was seen as a country that acted solely in its own interest and that cared little for protecting strong and durable multilateral alliances. The United States, in the minds of its critics, also took reckless actions to defend its national security interests without thinking about the consequences.

Obama was determined to correct this. This had been a constant theme of his campaign against presidential opponent Sen. John McCain, more so than almost any domestic issue. In June 2008, speaking in Germany near the place where the Berlin Wall once stood, Obama said that, "In Europe, the view that America is part of what has gone wrong in the world rather than a force to help make it right has become all too common."

He continued to expound on this theme in his first year as president. His stirring speech in Cairo in June 2009 offered inspirational words to many of his supporters, evidence that the president was serious about fixing the damage that had occurred under Bush.

But the promise is unfulfilled. Over the years, it has become clear that Obama left much more of Bush's foreign policy framework in place than many of his supporters had expected.

He continued with an extremely aggressive campaign against terrorist networks, employing drone strikes to destroy networks even when there have been significant civilian causalities, allowing for tough interrogation techniques and detention policies and depending on secret processes that created little accountability for what the government was doing, other than when leakers revealed classified information. Inconsistent policies toward authoritarian Middle Eastern regimes in countries such as Syria, as well as turbulence in Egypt following the fall of Hosni Mubarak, have greatly dampened the enthusiasm about Obama that had existed after 2008.

Nor did Obama do much to strengthen civil liberties. The public has begun to learn how extensive the surveillance has been on their phones, on their computers and every other type of communication that occurs. In short, the government has been watching.

To be sure, the success at generally preventing terrorist strikes within the U.S., barring Boston, is a central accomplishment of his presidency. But the difficulties he has faced achieving the balance he promised in relations with the rest of the world have come with a cost.

The NSA issue began with a debate about the proper domestic balance between civil liberties and counterterrorism and has now has extended into the realm of diplomacy.

Obama needs to make this right. The controversy hurts the ability of the United States to maintain strong relations with the allies whose support is essential to the war on terrorism, as well as in fighting against other global threats. He must provide answers and show that the government is responding to concerns about NSA practices.

One administration official has told the Wall Street Journal that President Obama had been unaware of NSA spying on 35 world leaders and that, as soon as he learned of the practice through an internal review (a response to the political outrage over the revelations of the spy program), he put parts of the program to an end. Even if this is the case -- and the president will need to make clear this is so given how cynical and skeptical the world has become about U.S. political rhetoric on these matters -- the information begs the question of how the NSA was allowed to remain so unaccountable even to the Commander-in-Chief and, more importantly, what steps President Obama will now take to make sure we conduct our counterterrorism programs within some kinds of parameters and guidelines.

If Obama does nothing further, the ongoing revelations will leave behind the same kinds of problems that he, as a candidate, understood to be so devastating in 2008.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:50 pm 

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/ ... _says.html

Obama aware of NSA spying on Merkel since 2010, German paper says
A German newspaper said President Barack Obama knew for years about eavesdropping on Angela Merkel, contradicting reports he told the German leader otherwise.
By: Reuters, Published on Sun Oct 27 2013

BERLIN—A German newspaper said Sunday that U.S. President Barack Obama knew his intelligence service was eavesdropping on Angela Merkel as long ago as 2010, contradicting reports that he had told the German leader he did not know.

Germany received information this week that the National Security Agency (NSA) had bugged Merkel’s mobile phone, prompting Berlin to summon the U.S. ambassador, a move unprecedented in postwar relations between the close allies.

Reuters was unable to confirm Sunday’s news report. The NSA denied that Obama had been informed about the operation by the NSA chief in 2010, as reported by the German newspaper. But the agency did not comment directly on whether Obama knew about the bugging of Merkel’s phone.
Both the White House and the German government declined to comment.

German newspaper Bild am Sonntag says U.S. President Barack Obama was told as far back as 2010 that his security agency was eavesdropping on German Chancellor Angela Merkel, seen here with Obama in Berlin in June.

The Wall Street Journal reported Sunday that the NSA ended the program that involved Merkel after the operation was uncovered in an Obama administration review that began this summer. The NSA was not immediately available for comment on the report.

The program also involved as many as 35 other world leaders, some of whom were still being monitored, according to the WSJ report, which was attributed to U.S. officials.

Citing a source in Merkel’s office, some German media have reported that Obama apologized to Merkel when she called him on Wednesday, and told her that he would have stopped the bugging happening had he known about it.

But Bild am Sonntag, citing a “U.S. intelligence worker involved in the NSA operation against Merkel,” said NSA chief General Keith Alexander informed Obama in person about it in 2010.

“Obama didn’t stop the operation back then but let it continue,” the mass-market paper quoted the source as saying.

The NSA said, however, that Alexander had never discussed any intelligence operations involving Merkel with Obama.

“(General) Alexander did not discuss with President Obama in 2010 an alleged foreign intelligence operation involving German Chancellor Merkel, nor has he ever discussed alleged operations involving Chancellor Merkel,” NSA spokeswoman Vanee Vines said in an emailed statement.

“News reports claiming otherwise are not true.”

Bild am Sonntag said Obama in fact wanted more material on Merkel, and ordered the NSA to compile a “comprehensive dossier” on her. “Obama, according to the NSA man, did not trust Merkel and wanted to know everything about the German,” the paper said.

White House spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden declined to comment and reiterated the standard policy line that the United States gathers foreign intelligence of the type gathered by all nations.
Bild said the NSA had increased its surveillance, including the contents of Merkel’s text messages and phone calls, on Obama’s initiative and had started tapping a new, supposedly bug-proof mobile she acquired this summer, a sign the spying continued into the “recent past.”

The NSA first eavesdropped on Merkel’s predecessor, Gerhard Schroeder, after he refused to support President George W. Bush’s war in Iraq and was extended when Merkel took over in 2005, the paper said.

Eighteen NSA staff working in the U.S. embassy, some 800 metres from Merkel’s office, sent their findings straight to the White House, rather than to NSA headquarters, the paper said. Only Merkel’s encrypted landline in her office in the Chancellery had not been tapped, it added.

Bild said some NSA officials were becoming annoyed with the White House for creating the impression that U.S. spies had gone beyond what they had been ordered to do.

Merkel has said she uses one mobile phone and that all state-related calls are made from encrypted lines.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:14 pm 

October 26
Mystery Portland barge and San Francisco barge appear linked
Experts who were shown photographs of the structures speculate that they could be prototypes for floating Google data centers.

By Tom Bell tbell@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

Since it was towed into Portland Harbor on a barge earlier this month, a four-story windowless building has been a source of intrigue. Its purpose and its owner’s identity have been kept secret.

Twenty-seven hundred miles away, residents of San Francisco have been puzzled by a four-story windowless building rising from a floating barge at the end of Treasure Island, a former Navy base in the middle of San Francisco Bay.

That project is also a secret.

But clues have emerged that indicate the two projects are connected.

The two barges – the one in Portland and the one in San Francisco – are owned by the same company.

Moreover, a website that covers technology news has linked that company to the search engine giant Google.

Some experts who were shown photographs of the structures speculate that they could possibly be prototypes for floating data centers that would use ocean water for cooling servers and ocean waves for energy.

Google was granted a patent in 2009 for such a structure.

=================================
The ocean is the ultimate solution

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:43 am 

Fleetwood Mac Cancels Tour as John McVie Undergoes Cancer Treatment

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/28/fleetwood-mac-cancels-tour-as-john-mcvie-undergoes-cancer-treatment/?_r=0

Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:03 pm 

mtf wrote:
... Twenty-seven hundred miles away, residents of San Francisco have been puzzled by a four-story windowless building rising from a floating barge at the end of Treasure Island, a former Navy base in the middle of San Francisco Bay....

and to make it even more interesting, in the lobby of the aforementioned barge there's a bait 'n tackle shop ...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:46 pm 

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/commenta ... z2jAX78LCf

Obama's big lie

Keep your doctor and your health plan? Not likely.

By Jonah Goldberg
October 29, 2013

"All we've been hearing the last three years is if you like your policy you can keep it.... I'm infuriated because I was lied to," one woman told this newspaper, as part of a story on how some middle-class Californians have been stunned to learn the real costs of Obamacare.

And that lie looks like the biggest lie about domestic policy ever uttered by a U.S. president.

The most famous presidential lies have to do with misconduct (Richard Nixon's "I am not a crook" or Bill Clinton's "I did not have sexual relations") or war. Woodrow Wilson campaigned on the slogan "He kept us out of war" and then plunged us into a calamitous war. Franklin D. Roosevelt made a similar vow. "I have said this before, but I shall say it again and again: Your boys are not going to be sent into any foreign wars."

Roosevelt knew he was making false promises. He explained to an aide: "If someone attacks us, it isn't a foreign war, is it?" When his own son questioned his honesty, FDR replied: "If I don't say I hate war, then people are going to think I don't hate war.... If I don't say I won't send our sons to fight on foreign battlefields, then people will think I want to send them…. So you play the game the way it has been played over the years, and you play to win."

The burning question about Barack Obama is whether he was simply "playing to win" and therefore lying on purpose, or whether his statements about Obamacare were just another example of, as Obama once put it, "I actually believe my own" spin, though he used another word.

"No matter how we reform healthcare, we will keep this promise to the American people," he told the American Medical Assn. in 2009. "If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor, period. If you like your healthcare plan, you'll be able to keep your healthcare plan, period. No one will take it away, no matter what."

No matter how you slice it, that was a lie. As many as 16 million Americans on the individual health insurance market may lose their insurance policies. Just in the last month, hundreds of thousands have been notified by their insurers that their policies will be canceled. In fact, it appears that more Americans may have lost coverage than gotten it since Healthcare.gov went "live" (a term one must use advisedly). And when the business mandate finally kicks in, tens of millions more probably will lose their plans.

Ah, but they'll get better ones!

That appears to be the new rationalization for Obama's bait-and-switch. "Right now all that insurance companies are saying is, 'We don't meet the requirements under Obamacare, but we're going to offer you a better deal!'" explained Juan Williams on "Fox News Sunday."

A better deal according to whom? Say I like my current car. The government says under some new policy I will be able to keep it and maybe even lower my car payments. But once the policy is imposed, I'm told my car now isn't street-legal. Worse, I will have to buy a much more expensive car or be fined by the IRS. But, hey, it'll be a much better car! Why, even though you live in Death Valley, your new car will have great snow tires and heated seats.

This is what the government is saying to millions of Americans who don't want or need certain coverage, including, for instance, older women — and men — who are being forced to pay for maternity care. Such overcharging is necessary to pay for the poor and the sick signing up for Obamacare or for the newly expanded Medicaid.

At least Darth Vader was honest about his bait-and-switch: "I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further." Obama won't even admit he lied.

At the 2008 Democratic National Convention, Obama talked at great length about the middle class and not once about the poor. His critics on the right said he was lying, that he was really more interested in income distribution. Such charges were dismissed as paranoid and even racist. But the critics were right. Obama was either lying to himself or to the rest of us — because he was playing the game to win.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:59 pm 

Unfortunately due to the Insurance companies refusing to offer compadible plans to meet the ACA requirerments these people will have to go to the exchanges for their coverage.

The good news less than 3% of the population or 11 million fall into this catagory, also in the states like California that have their sites up and running like clock work, their new plans will be less than the ones they had and will have better coverage.

In the red states that refused to get on board, lets hope the Federal exchage gets up to speed soon... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:44 pm 

Nuke dump proposal near Lake Huron raises alarm in US, Canada :roll: :roll:

No, Not Now!

“A few thousand people in the small town of Kincardine are making this decision on behalf of 40 million people” living in the vicinity of the Great Lakes.

http://rt.com/news/nuclear-waste-michigan-us-protest-840/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:34 pm 

I was stationed on a buoy tender "the Acacia", under that bridge on the Port Huron, Michigan side some 40 years ago when I was in the U.S. Coast Guard,,

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:11 am 

Two Nations, Under Mammon

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/ ... er-mammon/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:25 am 

edyrukidng wrote:
I was stationed on a buoy tender "the Acacia", under that bridge on the Port Huron, Michigan side some 40 years ago when I was in the U.S. Coast Guard,,

I was on the Mesquite when it was out of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. Way before it's demise.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:04 am 

edyrukidng wrote:

That would be The Bluewater bridge. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:36 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:
edyrukidng wrote:

That would be The Bluewater bridge. :wink:

"correct",, and one night I was walking across that bridge with a serious buzz on, and drivers were slowing down and kind of checking me out, I stopped at the middle of the bridge and was just gazing over the railing at the south flowing St. Claire river when U.S. Customs pulled up and asked me if I needed a ride because they had gotten a couple of reports that someone might jump off that mother fucker,,,,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325 ... 375  Next