Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 338, 339, 340, 341, 342, 343, 344 ... 382  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:18 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Point taken baddy. :wink: 8)

Justin Bieber spends night in jail! Is duh Bieb headed for rehap!??! :shock: :mrgreen:

Falsom?

The Bieber in Black

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:43 pm 

baddy wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
Articulating misinformation and misguided blame. :roll:

Apparently we need a history lesson here again regarding who exactly is at fault regarding NAFTA.......

I'll let the sources do the talking....
Quote:
NAFTA is short for the North American Free Trade Agreement. NAFTA covers Canada, the U.S. and Mexico making it the world’s largest free trade area (in terms of GDP). NAFTA was launched 20 years ago to reduce trading costs, increase business investment, and help North America be more competitive in the global marketplace.

All tariffs between the three countries were eliminated in January 2008. Between 1993-2009, trade tripled from $297 billion to $1.6 trillion. (Source: USTR, NAFTA)

When Was NAFTA Started?:

NAFTA was signed by President George H.W. Bush, Mexican President Salinas, and Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney in 1992.
It was ratified by the legislatures of the three countries in 1993. The U.S. House of Representatives approved it by 234 to 200 on November 17, 1993. The U.S. Senate approved it by 60 to 38 on November 20, three days later.

NAFTA was signed into law by President Bill Clinton on December 8, 1993 and entered force January 1, 1994. Although it was signed by President Bush, it was a priority of President Clinton's, and its passage is considered one of his first successes. (Source: History.com, NAFTA Signed into Law, December 8, 1993)

How Was NAFTA Started?:

The impetus for NAFTA actually began with President Ronald Reagan, who campaigned on a North American common market. In 1984, Congress passed the Trade and Tariff Act. This is important because it gave the President "fast-track" authority to negotiate free trade agreements, while only allowing Congress the ability to approve or disapprove, not change negotiating points.
Canadian Prime Minister Mulroney agreed with Reagan to begin negotiations for the Canada-U.S. Free Trade Agreement, which was signed in 1988, went into effect in 1989 and is now suspended due to NAFTA. (Source: NaFina, NAFTA Timeline)

Meanwhile, Mexican President Salinas and President Bush began negotiations for a liberalized trade between the two countries. Prior to NAFTA, Mexican tariffs on U.S. imports were 250% higher than U.S. tariffs on Mexican imports. In 1991, Canada requested a trilateral agreement, which then led to NAFTA. In 1993, concerns about liberalization of labor and environmental regulations led to the adoption of two addendums to NAFTA.

Why Was NAFTA Formed?:

Article 102 of the NAFTA agreement outlines its purpose: •Grant the signatories Most Favored Nation status.
•Eliminate barriers to trade and facilitate the cross-border movement of goods and services.
•Promote conditions of fair competition.
•Increase investment opportunities.
•Provide protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights.
•Create procedures for the resolution of trade disputes.
•Establish a framework for further trilateral, regional and multilateral cooperation to expand NAFTA's benefits. (Source: NAFTA Secretariat, "NAFTA FAQ")

Has NAFTA Fulfilled Its Purpose?:

NAFTA has eliminated trade barriers, increased investment opportunities, and established procedures for resolution of trade disputes. Most important, it has increased the competitiveness of the three countries involved on the global marketplace. This has become especially important with the launch of the European Union and the economic growth of China and other emerging market countries. In 2007, the EU replaced the U.S. as the world's largest economy.

NAFTA and Ross Perot:

Despite NAFTA's benefits, it has remained highly controversial. NAFTA's disadvantages are usually pointed out during Presidential campaigns. In 1992, before NAFTA was even ratified, Independent Presidential candidate Ross Perot famously warned that "You're going to hear a giant sucking sound of jobs being pulled out of this country." Ross predicted that the U.S. would lose 5 million jobs -- a whopping 4% of total U.S. employment -- to lower-cost Mexican workers. In fact, this never happened as Mexico entered a recession and the U.S. entered a period of prosperity. True, American workers were displaced by low-cost Mexican imports. But research showed it was more like 2,000 per month. (Source: Brad DeLong, "Jobs and NAFTA")

NAFTA and the 2008 Presidential Campaign:

NAFTA was attacked from all sides during the 2008 Presidential campaign. Barack Obama blamed NAFTA for growing unemployment. He said it helped businesses at the expense of workers in the U.S. It also did not provide enough protection against exploitation of workers and the environment along the border in Mexico. Hillary Clinton included NAFTA in her pledge to strictly enforce all existing trade agreements, as well as halt any new ones. Both candidates promised to either amend or back out of NAFTA all together. However, Obama hasn't done anything about NAFTA since becoming President. For more, see Has Obama Forgotten NAFTA Promise?

In 2008, Republican candidate Ron Paul said he would abolish NAFTA. He said it was responsible for a NAFTA Superhighway and compared it to the European Union. However, unlike the EU, NAFTA does not enforce a single currency among its signatories. Paul has maintained this position in his 2012 campaign.

Republican nominee John McCain supported NAFTA, as he did all free trade agreements. In fact, he wanted to enforce an existing section within NAFTA that promised to open up the U.S. to the Mexican trucking industry. (Article updated August 26, 2013)

:roll:

Fault for NAFTA = GHW Bush & Reagan

"Facts are stupid things". ~ Ronald Reagan

See what I mean?

Sorry Kapt'n, but I gotta straighten the blizzard above, (I say something, the snow comes)...I only commented on a topic dear to me (job loss) that Caputh and others were talking about (we're in trouble in this country), and the snow came.

I wish to comment on anything anyone is talking about anywhere :)
If snow comes, I can't be blamed...

Anyway, I think I can do it in one line, who made NAFTA law? The Democrat controlled congress of '93 and (NAFTA) is signed into law by President Bill Clinton, from "this Day in History."

Snowstorm over :)

Give me an honest answer to this question please baddy.....Why is it that whenever the subject of NAFTA is discussed here, you never acknowledge that it originated from Reagan and GHW Bush? You always conveniently gloss over that most crucially and important bit of information. You also never acknowledge that from the time Clinton and the Dems passed NAFTA, in '93, that he had a net increase/gain in jobs annually from '93 until the day he left office in January 2001, and only when Bush, with a Republican controlled House and Senate for a few years, is when the jobs started vanishing.

Every single year Clinton and the Dems were in office, jobs were added to the economy. In turn, every year since Bush jr and the Rep controlled govt starting in 2004 saw job losses, until Obama's mid-first term.

The numbers still don't lie... http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:52 pm 

As usual, baddy easily KILLS everyone who tries to muster the bravado to get in his way, like the Green Giant or King Kong squashing an insect.

And as usual, the uninformed forumers (most here) don't know what the hell hit them, so they cower in denial and/or indulge in tactics that try to blur or erase the lines between FACT and their own personal belief systems...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

Last edited by Disco Boy on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:53 pm 

As usual, you are still factually challenged. The numbers don't lie.....yet again.

Oh wait, you have me on ignore. The truth and facts are too painful to view when you are consistently proven wrong....again and again and again and again....

Here you guys go - http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000

That crow has got to be tasting awfully bitter by now. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:15 pm 

A rather small monolith is found on Mars...
http://scitechdaily.com/rock-appears-fr ... ity-rover/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:45 am 

Caputh wrote:

The cameraman dropped his candy wrapper. :oops: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:55 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Caputh wrote:

Murray the night shift martian will be exiled to the dark side of Mars for littering.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:16 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Caputh wrote:

Murray the night shift martian will be exiled to the dark side of Mars for littering.

It took a picture of it!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:49 am 

Bravo GG! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:51 am 

Justin Beiber is going away for a long time... I hope.
Not because he is a knobhead per se, but I reckon he'd still be smiling for the mugshot if he'd run a granny over.
TT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:55 am 

I highly doubt he will serve any time at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:08 am 

He might do house arrest, they are talking about deporting him back to canada, to avoid heavy criminal charges, the kid just keeps on fucking up if you or I had his record there would be some jail time for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:21 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
He might do house arrest, they are talking about deporting him back to canada, to avoid heavy criminal charges, the kid just keeps on fucking up if you or I had his record there would be some jail time for sure.

KEEP HIM !!! KEEP HIM !!!! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:52 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
He might do house arrest...

Oh boy I bet his neighbor who's house he was egging is loving that... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:51 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
Give me an honest answer to this question please baddy.....Why is it that whenever the subject of NAFTA is discussed here, you never acknowledge that it originated from Reagan and GHW Bush? You always conveniently gloss over that most crucially and important bit of information.

Because distract as you will, that's NOT the "most crutial and important bit of information," this is:

Clinton signing NAFTA into law, (another ice pick in our foreheads).

You can blame Regan all you want for Clinton [and Dem controlled Congress]for making NAFTA law, others may think it's Bills fault for his hand signing it.

And then he stiffed us all again with the WTO the next year, and our jobs went to china...we know the name of that fuckin tune...."Another Icepick in the Forehead."

The jobs (and their medicals, and their pensions), are gone. They won't be back until cheap labor is again in this country, cheap that can compete with Chinese slave labor pay...

(...unless we nominate such as a Dennis Kucinich or Ron Paul who will get us out of NAFTA, CAFTA, and the WTO).

Last edited by baddy on Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:31 pm 

This just in...

SB's vote keeping him safe from the terrorists...

More than 2,400 dead as Obama’s drone campaign marks five years

January 23, 2014 by Jack Serle

"... January 23 2009, a CIA drone flattened a house in Pakistan’s tribal regions. It was the third day of Barack Obama’s presidency, and this was the new commander-in-chief’s first covert drone strike.

Initial reports said up to ten militants were killed, including foreign fighters and possibly a ‘high-value target’ – a successful first hit for the fledgling administration.

But reports of civilian casualties began to emerge. As later reports revealed, the strike was far from a success. At least nine civilians died, most of them from one family. There was one survivor, 14-year-old Fahim Qureshi, but with horrific injuries including shrapnel wounds in his stomach, a fractured skull and a lost eye, he was as much a victim as his dead relatives.

Later that day, the CIA attacked again – and levelled another house. It proved another mistake, this time one that killed between five and ten people, all civilians..."

more here:
http://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/20 ... ive-years/

By 2012 SB had aquired much information on the killing and maiming of Obama's drones since '09... but there he was in 2012 telling us to vote for more of it, re-elect his hero Obama, damned be the dead kids...vote 4 more years of bombing...smart enough to know when others must die

So this also just in.... the latest killings (well, after Yemeni farmer, and that wedding the week before)...

US Air Strike Killed Woman, Seven Kids in Central Afghanistan

Another US air strike against an Afghan village has ended in tragedy last night, with reports that the attack destroyed a home, killing a woman and seven children, and injuring at least one other civilian.

(more here: http://news.antiwar.com/2014/01/15/us-a ... fghanistan )

Last edited by baddy on Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:20 pm 

Revolution Now!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:41 pm 

Yes....and if not, yesterday :D

Oh yeah...this just in...

NAFTA ON STEROIDS...

11 countries, cheap labor, no waiting...

Got any jobs left? Give 'em up...

So what if they're down, kick 'em again...hard.

Obama's State of the Union Dilemma: Pushing Fast Track for TPP Would Increase Income Inequality

Posted: 01/24/2014 9:54 am

"...Obama is also expected to highlight several major trade initiatives, including his priority Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) deal, a massive pact with 11 Asian and Latin American nations that Obama hopes to sign quickly. The business lobby is at full tilt pushing Obama to use the SOTU to call on Congress to pass Fast Track trade authority for the TPP.

The thing is that economists of all stripes agree that U.S. trade policy has been one of the major contributors to growing U.S. income inequality.

There really is no disagreement about that -- the only debate is about the degree of the effect.

The U.S. government data is striking: The shift in employment from high-paying manufacturing jobs to low-paying service jobs has contributed to overall wage stagnation. ... Since the January 1, 1994, implementation of NAFTA, the share of national income collected by the richest 10 percent has risen by 24 percent, while the top 1 percent's share has shot up by 58 percent."

More here...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lori-wall ... 58767.html

...'course it'll be Regan's fault when Obama signs the PTT into law.

Last edited by baddy on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:56 pm 

I've a bad feeling about TTP.

More good paying jobs being shipped off. Even lousy paying jobs are being shifted around.

Manufacturing being put into a stranglehold. Free trade keeps getting touted but no mention of fair and equitable trade.

There's nothing like a Catholic Girl
With her hand in the box
When she's on her knees

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:05 pm 

baddy wrote:
Yes....and if not, yesterday :D
...'course it'll be Regan's fault when Obama signs PTT into law.

It's the American people who voted these media darlings in. Go find a better place? Sure, there's many better places to live than here, that's a myth. Love it or leave it? How's about I fight for the right to stay and live the way I want to and quit begging for my government to keep shitting on me and my people? The laws and our rights are a changing and I didn't vote on a one of them. What's wrong with this picture? We're a nation of too many laws and not enough common sense and way to many Military trained vets coming home that need a job. There resumes'? Crowd & people control and suppression. We are becoming the cheap labor source. Love those vets? You won't in a few years. imho.
Beware the of the military complex. ~ Dwight. D. Eisenhower, the last Republican to put the country ahead of the GOP.
Dems are for the people...but who's People's Republic are they really for?

Revolution Now! :x

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:28 pm 

This ghost ship is still on the loose.

Ship Infested with Cannibal Rats Adrift in North Atlantic
An ocean liner believed to be headed toward Scotland might be infested with rats that have turned on one another.

There's nothing like a Catholic Girl
With her hand in the box
When she's on her knees

Post subject: Re: breaking news
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:49 pm 

… and capitalism still rules … what else is new …

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:16 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:

No, genius...Mixed Economies rule. Most Nations have never experienced a fully (or near fully) Capitalist economy and North Americans haven't since arguably The Roaring Twenties. But if we fully established it, we wouldn't be in this mess at all...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:46 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:

This ghost ship is still on the loose.

Ship Infested with Cannibal Rats Adrift in North Atlantic
An ocean liner believed to be headed toward Scotland might be infested with rats that have turned on one another.

So thats where my ship is....I've been waiting for my ship to come in since I was ejected from college...

On a serious note: How's the job search coming MB?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:00 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
blah blah blah blah. blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 338, 339, 340, 341, 342, 343, 344 ... 382  Next