Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 341, 342, 343, 344, 345, 346, 347 ... 374  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:20 am 

BBP wrote:
So what's the latest in that Bridgegate senator thing? Chris Chrissy or whatever his name was?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:56 am 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
BBP wrote:
I remember when there used to be news on here...

Hmmmm.....How about that? Besides some actual breaking news, this thread could use an accurate civics lesson on the working (or non-working) relationship between the three branches of government.

Here are the basics:

President:
Makes treaties with other nations
Carries out laws
Vetoes bills Congress passes, if he thinks they are wrong
Appoints judges in the Judicial Branch for a life term
Writes the budget

Congress:
Makes laws
Can override a President's veto of a bill by 2/3 vote
Can impeach (fire) a President for misconduct
Must approve presidential appointments for judges and justices
Gives the O.K. on budget spending and treaties
Can remove judges from office for misconduct

Supreme Court:
Interprets laws
May decide that some laws that Congress makes or decisions that the President make are not right according to the Constitution

You left out the chapter where entities like the religious right {and others} pump millions of dollars into these parties, so they can get their bullshit passed. No matter which side you stand on, how does the downfall of our world not qualify as breaking news? Breaking news doesn't have to just be a media news story, which in most cases is just as biased as our individual opinions are.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:24 pm 

Philostopher wrote:
Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
BBP wrote:

Hmmmm.....How about that? Besides some actual breaking news, this thread could use an accurate civics lesson on the working (or non-working) relationship between the three branches of government.

Here are the basics:

President:
Carries out laws
Writes the budget

Congress:
Makes laws

Supreme Court:
Interprets laws
May decide that some laws that Congress makes or decisions that the President make are not right according to the Constitution

You left out the chapter where entities like the religious right {and others} pump millions of dollars into these parties, so they can get their bullshit passed. No matter which side you stand on, how does the downfall of our world not qualify as breaking news? Breaking news doesn't have to just be a media news story, which in most cases is just as biased as our individual opinions are.

I didn't leave it out.....You added it in.

Nothing is permanent but change.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:47 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
So long, you fucking spineless-weasel-inducing-ad-hominem-throwing-shit-head.

It's better not to try and top that last one. That was pretty funny DB. "Weasel inducing"'s pretty funny though too. Ah, what do I know what's funny, eh? :lol:

I always try my best. :wink:

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
How far do you live from Gastown, The West End, Granville? R U in da city or da 'burb's Disco bro? :?: :)

I live in the south-eastern corner of the city.

Btw, did you read my ZPZ Vancouver gig review from the other night yet?

Gray_Ghost wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
How far do you live from Gastown, The West End, Granville? R U in da city or da 'burb's Disco bro? :?: :)

Sharing a double wide with Ricky and Julian?

Their characters live in Atlantic Canada, dumbshit.

Philostopher wrote:
Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
BBP wrote:

Here are the basics:

President:
Carries out laws
Writes the budget

Congress:
Makes laws

Supreme Court:
Interprets laws

He left out a SHITLOAD of things.

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:04 am 

Do your schools have problems with pupils behaving badly? UK minister of education Gove has the answer! Simply remind teachers that they can put pupils in detention and give them lines!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-26003722
Problem solved!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:39 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
Here are the basics:

As I wrote, I presented the "basics". As far as adding a load of shit to this thread, I'll leave that distasteful activity to others.....maybe, even you. I invite you to start a topic titled "Drop Your Load Of Shit Here".

8)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:10 pm 

The Anne Frank house has just obtained a box of marbles that belonged to Anne, tomorrow it'll be exhibited for the first time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:37 pm 

BBP wrote:
The Anne Frank house has just obtained a box of marbles that belonged to Anne, tomorrow it'll be exhibited for the first time.

I didn't know Anne Frank lost her marbles.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:49 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
BBP wrote:

I didn't know Anne Frank lost her marbles.

OMG! That made me laugh. Thanks!

I watched a rather good presentation of her story on Hulu a few months ago. "Masterpiece Theatre" The Diary of Anne Frank (2010).
http://www.hulu.com/watch/475498

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:50 pm 

Scott Thunes is in the hospital:
Apparently he started having chest pain about two weeks ago. On Friday or Saturday he checked in to Marin General Hospital. This morning he had an angiography.

Usually it doesn't take this long to decide on a treatment plan. But that's probably a good thing: it likely means he's not in imminent danger.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:00 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
Scott Thunes is in the hospital:
Apparently he started having chest pain about two weeks ago. On Friday or Saturday he checked in to Marin General Hospital. This morning he had an angiography.

Usually it doesn't take this long to decide on a treatment plan. But that's probably a good thing: it likely means he's not in imminent danger.
Checked in Friday or Saturday :mrgreen: Fuck i be out of that place before they knew it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:53 pm 

I wish the best for Scott and hope I get to see him playin' again soon!
Get well ya old fart!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:45 pm 

What! no flowers from Ed Mann.... :mrgreen:

Last edited by Gray_Ghost on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:21 pm 

Move to alter NZ privacy laws to help US

The Government wants to override privacy laws to supply the US Government with private details about Americans living in New Zealand.
As part of a global tax-dodging crackdown, the US is forcing banks and other financial institutions to hand over the private financial details of US "persons" and companies based overseas.
From July this year, Kiwi banks and insurers will be required to provide US tax authorities with American customers' contact details, bank account numbers and transaction history.
The move is already deeply unpopular among banks and expat Americans overseas, some of whom have accused the US of "fiscal imperialism".
In New Zealand, it has left banks stuck between defying the US and breaking domestic privacy laws that protect all New Zealand residents, including Americans.
But now the Government is stepping in with plans to "override" privacy laws to help banks meet the US demands and reduce costs.
Talks between the two countries are continuing but a bill has been introduced that would sidestep privacy protections for Americans living in New Zealand.
An Inland Revenue report made public last week reveals plans for the department to collect private details of Americans from banks and then pass them on to US tax authorities.
Officials estimate handling the information will cost the department up to $8.5 million over five years.
Without the changes, officials said our banks would be breaching customers' privacy by passing on the information, and potentially their human rights.
But if the banks refused to provide the US with details about American clients, they would be punished by having a third of their US investment withheld by tax authorities.
Not changing the law would have "a significant impact on the New Zealand economy", officials said.
Karen Scott-Howman, of the New Zealand Bankers' Association, said the US's demands had left the industry "stuck between a rock and a hard place".
"It is just nightmarish, nobody is pleased with it."
The cost of ignoring the US demands was "unthinkable", she said.
And while it was expected only a small number of customers would be referred to IRD and eventually to US authorities, it required sifting through every customer, to check for any US connection.
"It is a total pain in the neck," she said.
The move comes amid continuing criticism of New Zealand's participation in Trans Pacific Partnership Agreement talks, aimed at securing a wider-reaching free trade deal with the US and other countries.
Critics say the secretive talks could restrict New Zealand's ability to make its own laws on everything from the environment to employment.
Ad Feedback Council of Trade Unions economist Bill Rosenberg said the US's tax reporting requirements were another example of US interests dictating New Zealand law.
"There is clearly a breach of privacy here."
But Revenue Minister Todd McClay said the changes would not affect most New Zealanders, only the few considered "US taxpayers".
The US already had similar agreements with Britain, Germany and France, he said.
"The Government is not doing any more than assisting these financial institutions to meet their obligations."
The bill that contains the proposed changes is being considered by the finance and expenditure select committee. Submissions close tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:15 pm 

^ That's fucked up man! Revolution Now! :x

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:41 pm 

Get well soon, Scott! :)

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:24 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
What! no flowers from Ed Mann....

Scott and Ed buried the hatchet years ago (after all, the '88 tour was 26 years ago :shock: ).

This morning Ed posted a nice greeting on Scott's Facebook wall.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:37 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
What! no flowers from Ed Mann....

Scott and Ed buried the hatchet years ago (after all, the '88 tour was 26 years ago :shock: ).

This morning Ed posted a nice greeting on Scott's Facebook wall.

Only joking, I have now inserted the appropriate pumpkin...Ed would be lethel with a hatchet...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:15 pm 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
Here are the basics:

As I wrote, I presented the "basics".

Like I said, you left a SHITLOAD out. And I think it's funny that you seem to think it's realistically applicable, as Obama wipes his ass with the US Constitution almost every day...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:59 am 

Hope Mr. Thunes gets well soon. Maybe time to definitively retire his punk hate-boy attitude and lighten up a little.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:15 am 

Poor Scott, I hope he gets well soon!
I have a fretless 4-string bass which I named Thuney in honour of Scott.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:47 am 

Leonard Nimoy: I have lung disease.

http://wonderwall.msn.com/tv/leonard-nimoy-i-have-lung-disease-1795910.story

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:45 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

As I wrote, I presented the "basics".

Like I said, you left a SHITLOAD out. And I think it's funny that you seem to think it's realistically applicable, as Obama wipes his ass with the US Constitution almost every day...

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:05 pm 

Tonight ZPZ is playing in Carmel CA. When they've come through the Central Coast of California on previous tours, they've often played at the Rio Theatre in Santa Cruz. Fortunately they changed their plans for this tour: here's what happened last night at the Rio:

Driver crashes car into Rio Theatre in Santa Cruz, stabs himself with wreckage
By Stephen Baxter
Posted: 02/06/2014 10:07:13 AM PST

SANTA CRUZ -- A man drove a small car into the Rio Theatre lobby on Wednesday night, emerging from the car and cutting his neck with glass and metal pieces.

The man was taken by ambulance to a hospital. Witnesses said officials told them the man killed himself, but police have not released details of his condition.

"It's just the weirdest thing. It's so hard to piece it all together and make sense of it," said Phillip Sophie, co-owner of Oyunaa's Mongolian Cuisine next door to the the theater, and a Sentinel advertising consultant.

About 10:45 p.m. on the 1200 block of Soquel Avenue, a man drove a small hatchback car into the ticket booth and lobby of the Rio. Sophie and others in his restaurant heard a cacophony of breaking glass and went next door to investigate.

They found the car near the concession stand in the lobby. A man who appeared in his late 20s or early 30s got out of the car and began screaming incoherantly. He then took shards of glass or metal from the wreckage and stabbed himself in the neck, Sophie said.

The man was on the ground when emergency responders arrived.

Santa Cruz police, firefighters and Santa Cruz County Sheriff's deputies investigated through the night and hauled the car out of the lobby.

Police have not yet released the man's age or name or his medical status.

Update: the driver died at the scene

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:24 pm 

Whoa, that's just crazy as a loony tune. Poor guy must have had some kind of weird assed devils in his head. I feel bad for his family. DZpZ was lucky not to be there this time around I'd say. :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 341, 342, 343, 344, 345, 346, 347 ... 374  Next