Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 342, 343, 344, 345, 346, 347, 348 ... 374  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 2542
Location: in the tiny dirt somewhere
The witness mentioned in the article is a good friend of mine. I saw him this afternoon.

He was still very freaked out. He was on the phone with 911 while he watched the guy kill himself. He knew the guy was dead because the Coroner called him at 3 in the morning with some questions.

He knows it'll take some time to get those images out of his head.... :|

_________________
_________________Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:39 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3565
Location: Vancouver, BC
Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
Like I said, you left a SHITLOAD out. And I think it's funny that you seem to think it's realistically applicable, as Obama wipes his ass with the US Constitution almost every day...

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong. 8)


No, we'd only both be wrong if Obama and his administration obeyed the US Constitution and weren't servants of the Military Industrial Complex. But of course that's not the case...

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 9454
Location: EINDHOVEN
Poor guy, I hope he'll be allright... That Portuguese guy I briefly dated still hadn't recovered from the sight of a woman who jumped in front of a train, eight years before I talked to him.

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
The witness mentioned in the article is a good friend of mine. I saw him this afternoon.

He was still very freaked out. He was on the phone with 911 while he watched the guy kill himself. He knew the guy was dead because the Coroner called him at 3 in the morning with some questions.

He knows it'll take some time to get those images out of his head.... :|

BBP wrote:
Poor guy, I hope he'll be allright... That Portuguese guy I briefly dated still hadn't recovered from the sight of a woman who jumped in front of a train, eight years before I talked to him.


MTF, I hope your friend looses those images faster than BBP's Portuguese friend did, if he ever did. How horrible to witness something like that. Lettuce snow if there's an update on this. I'm curious as to the 'why?' of it all. Terrible tragedy and why The Rio? :(

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 2542
Location: in the tiny dirt somewhere
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
MTF, I hope your friend looses those images faster than BBP's Portuguese friend did, if he ever did. How horrible to witness something like that. Lettuce snow if there's an update on this. I'm curious as to the 'why?' of it all. Terrible tragedy and why The Rio? :(

As is common these days, the local paper left a Comments section on the web page for this story. People naturally want to know why it happened, and several armchair douchebags have been more than happy to tell everyone exactly why it happened. The resulting flood of verbal diarrhea got to the point where they finally took the story down and posted a new version with no comments section.

Sound familiar? :|

_________________
_________________Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 19976
Location: Somewhere in time
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
MTF, I hope your friend looses those images faster than BBP's Portuguese friend did, if he ever did. How horrible to witness something like that. Lettuce snow if there's an update on this. I'm curious as to the 'why?' of it all. Terrible tragedy and why The Rio? :(

As is common these days, the local paper left a Comments section on the web page for this story. People naturally want to know why it happened, and several armchair douchebags have been more than happy to tell everyone exactly why it happened. The resulting flood of verbal diarrhea got to the point where they finally took the story down and posted a new version with no comments section.

Sound familiar? :|



We know opinions are often compared to a certain body orifice and we know what comes out of there... :idea:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 535
Location: Over there! (last)
Image
Son of iconic rock figure discovers secret to "fountain of youth"!
Now looks four years younger!


:wink:

_________________
Image Nothing is permanent but change.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 2542
Location: in the tiny dirt somewhere
Image

Pro-Am under way as storm drenches course and Eastwood saves a life


Tournament CEO was suffocating at volunteers’ party
By PAUL MILLER

Image

COMPETITION IN the first round of the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am had to be suspended Thursday morning because of heavy rains, leaving pros and celebrities idle as officials scrambled to remake the schedule.

But while that was keeping the event’s CEO, Steve John, busy at the tournament, another pretty important thing was on his mind: The night before, at the party to honor the tournament’s volunteers, John got a piece of cheese lodged in his throat, and Clint Eastwood saved him from suffocating by using the Heimlich maneuver.

“Clint saved my life,” John said.

Go ahead: make me spit up my cheese

_________________
_________________Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:01 am
Posts: 1267
Location: Bordeaux, France
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/weird-news/metal-band-skinny-puppy-send-us-government-invoice-after-finding-out-their-music-was-used-as-torture-device-in-guantanamo-bay-9100005.html

_________________
"You can fly like a Penguin when you're dealing with Turkeys."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 535
Location: Over there! (last)
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
The night before, at the party to honor the tournament’s volunteers, John got a piece of cheese lodged in his throat, and Clint Eastwood saved him from suffocating by using the Heimlich maneuver.

“Clint saved my life,” John said.

Go ahead: make me spit up my cheese.

What a coincidence! The same thing happened to me, while watching the Super Bowl.

Image

_________________
Image Nothing is permanent but change.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 9454
Location: EINDHOVEN
For a brief, fleeting moment, The Netherlands is #1 on the medals list of the Olympics, after scoring a second podium of Dutchmen.

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:29 pm
Posts: 1526
Location: south midlands, UK
BBP wrote:
For a brief, fleeting moment, The Netherlands is #1 on the medals list of the Olympics, after scoring a second podium of Dutchmen.

You do have the unfair advantage of the Dutch Mountains though.
TT

_________________
and I know, I think
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 8457
Location: Wellington New Zealand
deuce wrote:
BBP wrote:
For a brief, fleeting moment, The Netherlands is #1 on the medals list of the Olympics, after scoring a second podium of Dutchmen.

You do have the unfair advantage of the Dutch Mountains though.
TT


Holland has mountains :?: Just shows how much I know about Old Zealand....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 9454
Location: EINDHOVEN
We have the disadvantage of having no mountains whatsoever. Of the 89 medals NL has earned on winter olympics up to 2010, only 1 was not skating-related: three were figure skating (in the days of Sjoukje Dijkstra) and the rest is all speed skating.

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4813
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
i noticed that a certain lack of hills, let alone mountains, was a Dutch trait when I went to Dokkum on holiday as a spotty teenager. There was one hill nearby that was a minor tourist attraction. Still, hills aren't everything and I enjoyed my holiday there very much (despite my spots).

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
Caputh wrote:
i noticed that a certain lack of hills, let alone mountains, was a Dutch trait when I went to Dokkum on holiday as a spotty teenager. There was one hill nearby that was a minor tourist attraction. Still, hills aren't everything and I enjoyed my holiday there very much (despite my spots).

Have you cleared up yet or how should I put this? Did your leopard change it's spots? :mrgreen:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 9454
Location: EINDHOVEN
If you go to the south of Limburg (that's way far away from Dokkum, I can tell you), the landscape is a lot more hilly there. Any other natural hill, like the Utrechtse Heuvelrug, has been pushed up by ice during the Ice Age.

For those of you that know The Knits, their song "In The Dutch Mountains" refers to dikes.

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4813
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Caputh wrote:
i noticed that a certain lack of hills, let alone mountains, was a Dutch trait when I went to Dokkum on holiday as a spotty teenager. There was one hill nearby that was a minor tourist attraction. Still, hills aren't everything and I enjoyed my holiday there very much (despite my spots).

Have you cleared up yet or how should I put this? Did your leopard change it's spots? :mrgreen:


:lol: Around 30 years ago, KIIRK. Still, to compensate I've increased my girth somewhat.

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4813
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
In other news, Great Britain appears to be competing for the title of Atlantis 2014. Somehow the Germans and, so I've heard, the Dutch seem to get rid of excess water slightly more swiftly...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26136975

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6926
Location: South wales
Caputh wrote:
In other news, Great Britain appears to be competing for the title of Atlantis 2014. Somehow the Germans and, so I've heard, the Dutch seem to get rid of excess water slightly more swiftly...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26136975
On Uk news just now said they have now got Dutch pumping equipment seemed like the problem now is it pumps the water too fast so they need too figure out where too pump and not too pump.

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
BBP wrote:
For those of you that know The Knits, their song "In The Dutch Mountains" refers to dikes.

So The Double Knits refers to the space between the dikes then? You know, down in the valley? :mrgreen:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 19976
Location: Somewhere in time
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
BBP wrote:
For those of you that know The Knits, their song "In The Dutch Mountains" refers to dikes.

So The Double Knits refers to the space between the dikes then? You know, down in the valley? :mrgreen:



Dam Kap you always take a perfectly good family moment and drag it into the gutter... :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
Plook wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
BBP wrote:
For those of you that know The Knits, their song "In The Dutch Mountains" refers to dikes.

So The Double Knits refers to the space between the dikes then? You know, down in the valley? :mrgreen:



Dam Kap you always take a perfectly good family moment and drag it into the gutter... :mrgreen:

The Double Knits,
They are the pits?
:mrgreen:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 8457
Location: Wellington New Zealand
Key's staff can't disprove reptilian theory

Image

LIZARD-LIKE?: An Official Information Act request was made to John Key's office asking for evidence disproving the prime minister was reptilian. No evidence could be found

Who's to say Prime Minister John Key isn't a reptilian overlord in disguise?

Key's own office certainly can't; its response to an official information request was that it had no data to disprove the theory.

The response came after Shane Warbrooke requested "any evidence to disprove the theory that Mr John Key is in fact a David Icke-style shape reptilian shifting alien ushering humanity towards enslavement".

Key's chief of staff responded this month, saying "no such information existed" to probable cries of "they would say that" from conspiracy theorists.

David Icke is a former British footballer and broadcaster who descended into ridicule after claiming he was the "Son of the Godhead" and promoting conspiracy theories, which he has since turned into books.

At the heart of his theories lies the idea that a secret group of reptilian humanoids called the Babylonian Brotherhood controls humanity, and that many prominent figures are in fact reptilian.


In other words there was no news in NZ today


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 8457
Location: Wellington New Zealand
This is a PS to a blah blah blah puff piece about Lil Shirl
Shirley Temple Was a Pretty Good Diplomat ... Except for That One Awkward Encounter With Frank Zappa in Prague
PS: It doesn't really fit into this post, but one of my favorite stories of Black's tenure in Czechoslovakia is the time in 1990 that she just happened to be at the Prague airport at the same time that Frank Zappa—Havel's favorite rock star and an icon of freedom for the Czech opposition—was arriving for his first visit to the country, met by a crowd of adoring fans. A TV crew there to meet Zappa stopped to ask the ambassador for her opinion on the arriving dignitary.
In his book, A Tale of Two Utopias, writer Paul Berman recounts what happened next:
From an American point of view, that was a bizarre, at any rate a foreign, moment in the Eastern Bloc Revolution. No right-minded American would dream of asking Shirley Temple about Frank Zappa. Americans know that the United States is a divided country, at war with itself since the mid-1960s or earlier, splintered into culture and counterculture, right and left. Or who can say what the divisions are, except that they persist, like a guerilla war that has festered in the jungle unto the second or third generation? The charming Temple, beloved for “The Good Ship Lollipop” and other entertainments, is not from the same America as the pirate-bearded performer of those classics from 1967 and ’68, “Lumpy Gravy” and “We’re Only in It for the Money.” Not to mention “Alien Orifice” and “Dicky’s Such an Asshole!” No way on earth was Shirley, the sweetheart of the GOP, going to have anything to say about Frank, the Mother of Invention. The TV crew, however, did not consist of right-minded Americans. The crew was in the grip of a delusion. They seemed to think that Ambassador Black was going to say, “We in the United States are proud of our contributions to music and blah blah blah… On the occaision of the arrival of such a distinguished…, allow me to express…”
As was endless recounted to me by every Czech I met in those revolutionary, frightening weeks, Mrs. Black looked horrified, even humiliated. Heads turned away from the camera. Face buried itself in hands. Televised mortification! Mr. Zappa’s music loomed like a distant sun that had never once cast a beam of Mrs. Black’s lonely shore. Face reemerged from hands. The ambassador from the United States volunteered that she did know something about Mr. Zappa’s daughter, Moon Unit. Czechoslovakia was aghast. People had no way to account for the United States ambassador’s boorish airport behavior, except to mark her down as a cultural ignoramus who lacked the aplomb to boast to all of Central Europe about one of America’s finest sons, the brilliant Zappa, a world figure in the field of popular music.

Can’t win ‘em all, I guess.
Joshua Keating is a staff writer at Slate focusing on international affairs


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 342, 343, 344, 345, 346, 347, 348 ... 374  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: just plain doug, Philostopher and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group