Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 345, 346, 347, 348, 349, 350, 351 ... 375  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:19 am 

Yanukovych attempted to get rid of his documents by throwing them into his lake. They have been salvaged and scans are being uploaded at http://www.yanukovychleaks.org/ .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:24 am 

Yanukovych feels "compelled to ask the Russian Federation to ensure my personal security from the actions of extremists".
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26366700
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/ ... MS20140227

I wonder if the 37 billion dollars in foreign aid that appear to have gone "missing" are going with him to Russia?
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/ ... 4Q20140227

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:57 pm 

Caputh wrote:
Yanukovych feels "compelled to ask the Russian Federation to ensure my personal security from the actions of extremists".
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26366700
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/ ... MS20140227

I wonder if the 37 billion dollars in foreign aid that appear to have gone "missing" are going with him to Russia?
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/ ... 4Q20140227

Paul Watson
said I could

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:07 pm 

EU offers Ukraine $15 billion, but help hinges on IMF deal

'Bout time they sent Tom Cruise in!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:19 am 

just plain doug wrote:
EU offers Ukraine $15 billion, but help hinges on IMF deal

'Bout time they sent Tom Cruise in!

Cue the music and light the fuse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:26 am 

Cops find P bubbling on stove
A drugs raid by armed police on an upmarket Wellington apartment allegedly discovered a pot bubbling away on a stove.

The occupants had been living in the 13th-storey apartment in Chews Lane - just metres from the city's central police station - for months without raising suspicions among either the apartment's owner or other residents.

When police raided the apartment early yesterday morning, they were expecting a minor drugs bust, Detective Senior Sergeant Tim Leitch said.

"When staff got in there, they found three people. They've interrupted them in the process of cooking on the apartment stove.

"A pot with a substance was bubbling on the stove."

Meanwhile downstairs, a fourth person associated with the apartment tried to flee, and allegedly threw a package into a rubbish bin as he passed.

Inside the bin, police found methamphetamine, or P, with a street value of $28,000.

The discoveries happened so close to the central police station that officers were able to walk the arrested suspects across the road to the cells.

In the apartment, more than $10,000 in cash and 30 grams of methamphetamine, with an estimated street value of $30,000 to $40,000, were found, police said.

Four people appeared on drugs charges in the Wellington District Court yesterday afternoon.

The entire Chews Lane apartment complex was evacuated, forcing residents still in their dressing gowns on to the pavements. Surrounding streets were closed, amid fears the cooking could spark an explosion.

The tenants at 13D moved in late last year. Some apartments in the complex are advertised for rents of $1150 a week.

The tenants rented from Kieran and Maria O'Sullivan, who own several apartments in the complex as well as the Lower Hutt Pak 'n Save.

O'Sullivan said he was told about a suspected P lab yesterday morning. "This is just awful, really upsetting for us, and we feel for the other owners."

He said the two tenants had come with strong references from a "trusted friend" who had known them for years.

He was still waiting to know what, if any, damage had been done to the apartment.

Building manager Justin Leonard said he had met the tenants several times and they had appeared polite and friendly.

"I would probably look at other people before I looked at them," he said.

The apartment had been inspected since the tenants moved in, and contractors washing the building had also passed through several times in the past few months. At no time had anyone smelt anything.

Leitch said it was unlikely neighbours would notice any unusual smells. "I wouldn't think most people would have the experience of knowing what they are looking for."

However, operating a drugs lab in a confined space, such as an apartment, would put all residents at serious risk.

"If there was an explosion, it has the potential to be quite bad. It is very dangerous."

He saw no irony in an alleged crime being conducted so close to a police station. The location was "brazen, but not surprising".

"It's not embarrassing. These sorts of things can happen anywhere, whether it's across the road from a police station or not."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:27 pm 

Awwww...that story is nothing like what I expected from the headline! :(

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:15 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Awwww...that story is nothing like what I expected from the headline! :(

What a classic, the (award winning) apartment building is located on a main route into the central city, the police served their warrant at 5:00am, when they discovered the scale of what was going on they evacuated the whole building for fear of an explosion, got the fire brigade involved and set up a decontamination tent which shut down the street, causing a little rush hour traffic chaos. It proved to be quite an exercise for all the emergency services and the overworked clandestine lab team.....

Anybody want to rent a cheap high end apartment?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:42 am 

Obama Goes Between The Ferns To Talk With Zach Galifianakis

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/03/11/288995340/obama-goes-between-the-ferns-to-talk-with-zach-galifianakis?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=npr&utm_campaign=nprnews&utm_content=03112014

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:01 pm 

I watched the video and what I took away from it was obama out and out lying about the aca web site again, he says it now works great. Not true, but... I suppose the ZFT thinks the roll out of rbp is doing great also.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:47 pm 

Dutch secretary of state Teeven (Justice) has apparently laundered money.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:56 pm 

BBP wrote:

How dirty was it?... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:31 pm 

Plook wrote:
BBP wrote:

How dirty was it?... :mrgreen:

You know how those big ol' cotton jobs get, skid marks galore! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:49 pm 

Bristol New Music Festival, review

Good as these were, they were put in the shade by the spectacular and utterly joyous Sunday-afternoon concert from Ensemble MusikFabrik. In the concert’s second half they performed a clutch of pieces by Frank Zappa, in a way which reminded us that the gap between Zappa the virtuoso guitarist and Zappa the “classical” composer was not so great. Frank Wingold’s wailing guitar solo in RDNZL would have won Zappa’s approval, and the crazy high jinks of Don’t You Ever Wash That Thing?, with its mishmash of wild keyboard solos, kazoos, lachrymose sliding strings and clashing giant cymbals, was a riot.

But Zappa is familiar, whereas the piece that filled the concert’s first half was a mystery to most of us. This was the UK premiere of And On the Seventh Day Petals Fell in Petaluma, by that strange American visionary Harry Partch. Arrayed in front of us, across the entire width and depth of Colston Hall, were gleaming replicas of the various instruments Harry Partch invented.

He created them to bring back into music the pure musical intervals which Western music has lost. They had wonderful names, such as Spoils of War, Castor and Pollux, Diamond Marimba, Surrogate Kithara, and they looked odd and familiar at once. There were giant zithers, clusters of transparent globular drums, huge transparent bowls hung in rows, harmoniums, outsize harps.

The devotion these players have shown in bringing Partch’s curious vision to life is really beyond praise. They’ve each had to discover the playing technique for several instruments, and then master a score that involves a constantly changing pattern of duets, trios, quartets and (at the end) a climactic number for all seven players.

They performed the piece with relaxed grace, as if to the manner born, relishing the music’s extraordinary mixture of sounds and moods. Hints of familiar things like Hawaiian guitar, church organs, and Balinese gamelan were mingled with the strains of something thrillingly strange and otherworldly.

Hear Ensemble MusikFabrik’s concert on Hear & Now on BBC Radio 3 on March 22
Should be worth a listen

Last edited by Gray_Ghost on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:36 pm 

mistrijah wrote:
Gail Zappa is according to Moon's Tweets ill in hospital…..

:!:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:43 pm 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
mistrijah wrote:
Gail Zappa is according to Moon's Tweets ill in hospital…..

:!:

I hope she's gonna be alright. Does Moon tweet what the prognosis is? How old is this tweet? :|

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:05 am 

Toots Thielemans (91) retires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKnG_9q4crA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:39 am 

College Group Bans White People From Diversity ‘Happy Hour’

“That space is not for white people”

Paul Joseph Watson

March 12, 2014
A group of employees at South Puget Sound Community College caused outrage after they made it clear that white people would not be welcome at a planned diversity “happy hour” event.
The event was focused around an effort ” to “build support and community” for people of color.
“If you want to create space for white folks to meet and work on racism, white supremacy, and white privilege to better our campus community and yourselves, please feel free to do just that,” stated an email which was sent out to 300 employees.
Students at the college expressed their bewilderment at why a “diversity” event would specifically exclude people of a certain race.
“This….contradicts the message they’re trying to send, don’t judge people based on their color but they’re judging white people because they’re white” said one student.
College spokeswoman Kellie Purce Braseth said the exclusion was “not condoned” by the school, adding, “If you want to come you should be able to come, that just makes a richer conversation.”
However, despite being forced to apologize, Karama Blackhorn, program coordinator for the school’s Diversity and Equity Center, who helped write the invitation, seemingly doubled down.
“That space is not for white people, that space is for people of color,” said Blackhorn, asserting that staff members cannot discuss race issues with white people present.
“That’s not diversity, that’s anti what we’re preaching here,” responded one student.
Indeed, Blackhorn’s claim that white people should be excluded from certain spaces or events at the college is no different philosophically to how black people were similarly discriminated against during segregation.
By asserting the contrived myth of “white privilege,” predominantly white liberals are attempting to rationalize the clearly ludicrous notion that it is impossible to be racist towards white people.
In reality, this mentality functions as a crass and cynical ploy to shut down debate and discriminate against the equality of a person’s freedom of speech based on their skin color – which is the very epitomy of racism.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:51 pm 

Little_Sally wrote:
College Group Bans White People From Diversity ‘Happy Hour’

“That space is not for white people”

Paul Joseph Watson

March 12, 2014
A group of employees at South Puget Sound Community College caused outrage after they made it clear that white people would not be welcome at a planned diversity “happy hour” event.
The event was focused around an effort ” to “build support and community” for people of color.
“If you want to create space for white folks to meet and work on racism, white supremacy, and white privilege to better our campus community and yourselves, please feel free to do just that,” stated an email which was sent out to 300 employees.
Students at the college expressed their bewilderment at why a “diversity” event would specifically exclude people of a certain race.
“This….contradicts the message they’re trying to send, don’t judge people based on their color but they’re judging white people because they’re white” said one student.
College spokeswoman Kellie Purce Braseth said the exclusion was “not condoned” by the school, adding, “If you want to come you should be able to come, that just makes a richer conversation.”
However, despite being forced to apologize, Karama Blackhorn, program coordinator for the school’s Diversity and Equity Center, who helped write the invitation, seemingly doubled down.
“That space is not for white people, that space is for people of color,” said Blackhorn, asserting that staff members cannot discuss race issues with white people present.
“That’s not diversity, that’s anti what we’re preaching here,” responded one student.
Indeed, Blackhorn’s claim that white people should be excluded from certain spaces or events at the college is no different philosophically to how black people were similarly discriminated against during segregation.
By asserting the contrived myth of “white privilege,” predominantly white liberals are attempting to rationalize the clearly ludicrous notion that it is impossible to be racist towards white people.
In reality, this mentality functions as a crass and cynical ploy to shut down debate and discriminate against the equality of a person’s freedom of speech based on their skin color – which is the very epitomy of racism.

Yes racism flows both ways and is dispicable from anyone who promotes exclusion...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:48 pm 

YES' former lead man, Jon (?) Anderson is forming a new band with Jean Luc-Ponty.
This is according to Yahoo's search alert for Frank Zappa in music news. So it's most likely true, but I wouldn't bet a life on it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:30 am 

Here are some interesting pictures that probably deserve a museum...
http://www.buzzfeed.com/bennyjohnson/in ... asure-room

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:34 am 

And FC Bayern Munich's business manager is jailed for evading 28 million Euros in taxes.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26562558

He didn't really play his cards very well.
Before the trial he claimed he owed 3 million.
On the first day of the trial he admitted he owed 18 million.
On the second day of the trial the state's tax lawyers claimed he owed 28 million. He admitted that this was so.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:17 am 

Caputh wrote:
Here are some interesting pictures that probably deserve a museum...
http://www.buzzfeed.com/bennyjohnson/in ... asure-room

Wow I could look at those art works for hours, cheers Caputh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:18 pm 

Maryland Senate passes bill to decriminalize
possession of small amounts of marijuana

The bill now goes to the House of Delegates, where similar legislation died in committee last year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md- ... rc=nl_buzz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:26 pm 

Jimi Hendrix honored with U.S. postal stamp
http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=857151

This deserves better design, but there is no accounting for my lack of artistic taste.

Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 345, 346, 347, 348, 349, 350, 351 ... 375  Next