Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 357, 358 ... 379  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:21 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Vandals glue a dozen RAZOR BLADES all over children's playground equipment and injure a 2-year-old boy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... d-boy.html

I feel a put on. From who is the question. The vandals have graduated from taken the handles and moved straight to devious plots? Were the razor blades found on the grassy knoll too? :shock: :?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:09 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
Vandals glue a dozen RAZOR BLADES all over children's playground equipment and injure a 2-year-old boy

I feel a put on. From who is the question. The vandals have graduated from taken the handles and moved straight to devious plots? Were the razor blades found on the grassy knoll too? :shock: :?

The FBI suspect Oswald took a shave on the grassy knoll prior to riding his little red Schwinn over to the Book Depository Building. Allegedly stage one of the successful Russian plot to stop the USA from searching for cheese on the Moon....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:02 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

Well, it is from the Daily Mail, who have the fastest turnover on their website and apparently the lowest paid journalists. I only really believe them if they're talking about true Conservatism.

Usually, they manage to bring house prices into almost every news story. Good story, though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:04 am 

Caputh wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

Well, it is from the Daily Mail, who have the fastest turnover on their website and apparently the lowest paid journalists. I only really believe them if they're talking about true Conservatism.

Usually, they manage to bring house prices into almost every news story. Good story, though.

Feel free to Google. Lots of news sources carry the story. I checked Hoax-Slayer, before posting it, and it's a true news item.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/175-2.shtml

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:52 am 

Whoever glued the razors must live close by and hate kids and they're one sick Mo-Fo! :shock:
A two year old wouldn't know what a razor is or what it does to you by sight. Easy target which makes this all the more heinous of a crime. :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:42 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Feel free to Google. Lots of news sources carry the story. I checked Hoax-Slayer, before posting it, and it's a true news item.

I believe you, Doug, I believe you; it's just that both you and I like to post from the Daily Mail (it's a fun read).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:19 am 

Caputh wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

I believe you, Doug, I believe you; it's just that both you and I like to post from the Daily Mail (it's a fun read).

I used to pick up The National Enquirer back in the '70's when it was a really funny read too. Like the shocking news that Alice Cooper was really a nice guy who played golf and was friends with Groucho Marx. What a let down that was! I didn't believe it at the time either, cuz' I was 18 and I didn't know what I wanted! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:33 pm 

At long last the end of scientific sushi

Japan accepts UN whaling ruling

Prime Minister John Key has called the UN ruling against Japanese whaling "a great decision" and said he hoped it would see an end to whaling in the Southern Ocean.

Judges at the International Court of Justice, the highest UN court, today rejected Japan's long-held argument that the catch was for scientific purposes and not primarily for human consumption.

Key said the Japanese could still apply to the ICJ or to the International Whaling Commission to return to the Southern Ocean with a true scientific whaling programme but that would likely see a major reduction in their allowable catch.

"And given that we would make the case they've largely been commercially whaling that may well not be commercial for them so hopefully they would abandon that."

It was unlikely they would pull out of the IWC as they had already said they would observe the decision and had historically observed the rule of law, he said.

"So I think for New Zealanders hopefully we've seen the last of Japanese whaling vessels in the great Southern Ocean."

TOKYO TO COMPLY

Tokyo said it was disappointed but would abide by the decision, while activists said they hoped it would bring closer a complete end to whaling.

The court sided with plaintiff Australia, which was supported by New Zealand, in finding that the scientific output of the whaling programme did not justify the number of whales killed.

The practice was deeply offensive to many New Zealanders, Foreign Affairs Minister Murray McCully said this morning.

Activist Pete Bethune, who in 2010 was arrested and indicted in Japan after he boarded a Japanese whaling vessel in the southern ocean, slept outside The Hague overnight to make sure he was in the court to see the ruling handed down.

"I am over the moon," he said today.

"I believe justice has been served and I feel in some way vindicated with my activities in 2010. It's been amazing, a very emotional day."

The tribunal said no further licences should be issued for scientific whaling, where animals are first examined for research purposes before the meat was sold to consumers.

"In light of the fact the JARPA II (research programme) has been going on since 2005, and has involved the killing of about 3600 minke whales, the scientific output to date appears limited," presiding Judge Peter Tomka of Slovakia said.

Japan signed a 1986 moratorium on whaling, but has continued to hunt up to 850 minke whales in the icy waters of the Southern Ocean, as well as smaller numbers of fin and humpback whales, citing a 1946 treaty that permits killing the giant mammals for research.

Japan was "deeply disappointed" by the ruling, but it would comply, said Koji Tsuruoka, the country's chief lawyer before the court.

He said the Japanese Government would need to study the ruling before taking any further action.

Judges agreed with Australia that the Japanese research - two peer-reviewed papers since 2005, based on results obtained from just nine killed whales - was not proportionate to the number of animals killed.

The judgment is an embarrassment to Japan, but Tokyo could continue whaling if it devised a new, more persuasive programme of scientific that required "lethal catch" of whales, or if it withdrew from the whaling moratorium or the 1946 International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling.

WHALING PROGRAMME 'HARPOONED'

McCully welcomed the decision.

"The ICJ decision sinks a giant harpoon into the legality of Japan's whaling programme: JARPA II," he said.

"New Zealand has consistently opposed Japan's so-called 'scientific' whaling, which is a practice that is deeply offensive to many New Zealanders."

McCully said he hoped Japan would "respect the Court's decision".

He said he sent a text to Australian speaker of the house Bronwyn Bishop last night to congratulate her on the decision.

McCully said New Zealand could also take "significant credit" as well.

"The legal case that New Zealand spelt out as intervenor in the court is essentially the logic the court outlined in its judgement last night, so I think the lawyers who served the New Zealand Government's interest here have absolutely picked the right lines to run with for the court," he said.

"They've effectively had their position confirmed."

But McCully stopped short of saying any thanks for the decision could go to Sea Shepherd.

"What I've said before is a programme that is carried out today, largely for reasons of pride on Japan's part, rather than because there's any use for the whale meat or any useful scientific outcomes," he said.

"One of the problems has been that the protest activity down there has rather made Japan dig its heels in. So while I'm sure that some of the Sea Shepherd people will claim credit for it, in fact my own perspective is Japan needs a bit of space here to work its way out of what is a practice that's got no future."

Labour's foreign affairs spokesman David Shearer said the ruling was a victory for both New Zealand and Australia.

"The court has confirmed what New Zealand has always claimed - that Japan's continued killing of whales under JARPA II, which is nothing more than slaughter under the highly dubious guise of science, is false," he said.

"Like New Zealand, Japan has always placed great importance on the international legal order and the rule of law. Japan's early statements that it will abide by the ICJ's ruling are welcome.

"Diplomatic efforts are now needed to ensure that new loopholes are not found to continue whaling operations."

Shearer said the decision was "fantastic news" for those who had campaigned for the protection of whales.

INTENSE SCRUTINY

Whaling was once widespread around the world, but Japan is now one of only three countries, alongside Iceland and Norway, that continue the practice.

The meat is popular with some Japanese consumers who consider it a delicacy.

Norway, the other main whaling nation, in 1993 shifted away from scientific whaling to "commercial" catches, where the meat is sold directly to consumers.

Norway set a quota of 1286 minke whales in the north Atlantic in last year's summer hunt, saying stocks were plentiful in the region. Fishermen rarely catch the full quota, partly because demand has sunk in recent years.

Iceland and Norway do not claim to be carrying out research, openly hunting whale meat for commercial purposes, meaning the ICJ's ruling has no immediate consequences for them. But activists said the ruling reflected a gradually changing climate that would put an end to whaling.

"Whaling is under immense scrutiny from the international community, and the pincer movement on these countries is ever tightening," said Claire Bass, wildlife campaigner at the World Society for the Protection of Animals.

- Reuters, Fairfax NZ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:48 pm 

Good on the Aussie's and Kiwi's!!! Good show and well done. The Sea Shepherds deserve a well done too! It was their publicity that helped sway the court of public opinion.
Now we're free to hunt Norwegians & Icelanders and anyone else who've a taste for whale meat. :twisted: :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:43 am 

How to not waste police time...
"Man’s t-shirt sadly fitting as he gets arrested for drunk driving"
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/man ... 30216.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:29 am 

The way things are going, I'm going to have to start thinking about changing my nationality...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... vival.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:16 am 

Caputh wrote:
The way things are going, I'm going to have to start thinking about changing my nationality...

parlez vous francais?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:00 am 

Sun Ra's Vintage Master Tapes Are for Sale on eBay

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:30 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Caputh wrote:

parlez vous francais?

Un petit peu aber Deutsch kann ich wesentlich besser.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:20 pm 

Just bought one of these
TT

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:32 pm 

deuce wrote:
Just bought one of these
TT

Better get her to a podiatrist, her feet look terribly pronated...

Miasma!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:39 pm 

Sam I Am wrote:
deuce wrote:
Just bought one of these
TT

Better get her to a podiatrist, her feet look terribly pronated...

Sweeeeet, the guitar looks good too!

Where have you been Sam, did you get time off for good behavior?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:25 pm 

Erratic BB King performance makes fans blue

At 88, blues guitarist B.B. King is a living legend and a Rock and Roll Hall of Famer. Slowed by age and infirmity, including diabetes, King continues to tour, with sometimes painful results.

In St. Louis, some fans are singing the blues after an erratic weekend performance led to a stream of audience catcalls and early departures.

Concertgoers said King's rambling on Friday night set featured just a handful of complete songs amid meandering musical snippets, long-winded soliloquies, an 8-piece backup band that missed its cues and a 15-minute sing-along of You Are My Sunshine.

"Is he a living legend? Absolutely. Do I love his music? You bet," said Larry Goldstein, who paid $150 for a pair of tickets. "But when you're paying that type of money, you expect to see a show."

The experience highlights an increasingly common occurrence as musicians in their 70s and 80s take the stage in front of nostalgic audiences.

A recent St. Louis concert by 87-year-old rock 'n' roll pioneer Chuck Berry was also marked by missed chords, forgotten lyrics and a backing band's persistent efforts to cover Berry's missteps.

Brad Goodman, King's Los Angeles-based agent at William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, declined to comment through an assistant.

Other recent King performances have also struck sour notes. During a November concert in Texas, the bluesman's voice "was weak and ragged, and his trademark guitar style had dissolved into a parade of sour notes," a Dallas Morning News review said.

Bob Johnson attended the St. Louis concert and said the dissatisfied audience members were trying to encourage King more than criticize him, suggesting specific song titles or urging him to "Play some music" during the long interludes.

"Everybody was trying to be respectful that this guy is 88 years old," he said. "It was painful to watch."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/mu ... -fans-blue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:41 pm 

Yea it sucks getting old, Doc Severenson was just in with his band, Ernie watts is touring with him like in the old days, Doc is 86, and man he can still play the band was tight, I bet his lips are numb after gigs at his age.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:15 pm 

Those older musician who say "I want to keep performing until the day I die" should also be mindful of the audience. I'm reminded of Johnny Cash who was still playing until his health problems became evident. It may have happened during his last concert that he dropped his guitar pick and nearly fell into the orchestra pit trying to pick it up.

Even Glen Campbell who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease had his goodbye tour while he could still pull it off with credibility.

On the flip side, Les Paul was still playing well into his 90s.

Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:13 am 

Stephan Grappelli, was great up till the end also. I just want to find my car keys.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:20 am 

Sheep and goat cross produces a 'Geep'
An Irish farmer has inadvertently bred a geep - a cross between a goat and a sheep.

Paddy Murphy, who also runs Murphy's Pub in County Kildare, west of Dublin, told the Irish Farmers Journal he had seen a goat trying to mate with a few of his female sheep last year, but didn't think anything of it.

Five months later and he delivered what he thought was a lamb late at night, only to realise the next morning that it was something quite a bit different.

"I only have white-faced Cheviot sheep, and when this one came out it was black," he said.

"That sometimes happens. But the next morning I said to myself this isn't a lamb at all, it's more like a goat.

"It was moving a bit too quickly for a lamb, its legs were very long and he even has horns like a goat."

The newborn has been the talk of the village pub since its birth a few weeks ago.

Murphy said he was starting a competition to find the best name for the young geep and proceeds would go to raising money for a sick child in the village.

He also invited scientists to come to his farm to prove the rare cross-breed but said he had no plans to start breeding more geep.

"I have no interest in that side of it at all, but if someone wants to come and do tests they are welcome," he said.

Similar crossing-breeds have been reported around the world before but in most cases the offspring were stillborn.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/farming ... ces-a-Geep

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:55 am 

Somehow he had to be called Paddy Murphy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:25 am 

There's been a case of a ram cross breed with a female goat. It's pretty unfortunate that with cross breds, except for mules for which they invented a word, the animal names are blended with father first (cue angry feminists).
Sheep in Dutch is schaap and goat is geit. The cross breed had to be called "scheit", which is Dutch for "shit".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:47 pm 

They also crossed a Lion and a Parrot.
Scientists are perplex at what came out of it, except
that when "it" speaks, you better listen !!!
:lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 357, 358 ... 379  Next