Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9363 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 354, 355, 356, 357, 358, 359, 360 ... 375  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:55 am 

Sorry to hear that, Kirk... Bike theft is rampant in a cycling country like The Netherlands. An Eindhoven design wiz built a bicycle of which the steering wheel can be removed and used as a lock: so if a thief breaks the lock, he can't cycle anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:58 am 

On BBC news today, we were told that Prince William had been in the IRA...
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ch ... bc-3403514
TT

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:07 am 

ursinator wrote:
Scientist William Tunstall-Pedoe proves scientifically that Apr. 11th 1954 was the most boring day in the 20th century:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/uk/April-11-1954-was-most-boring-day-in-history/articleshow/6994947.cms

Then, April 12th, birth of R'n'R with "Rock around the clock" , Bill Haley.
:smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:58 am 

Mij wrote:
ursinator wrote:
Scientist William Tunstall-Pedoe proves scientifically that Apr. 11th 1954 was the most boring day in the 20th century:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/uk/April-11-1954-was-most-boring-day-in-history/articleshow/6994947.cms

Then, April 12th, birth of R'n'R with "Rock around the clock" , Bill Haley.
:smoke:

April 13th, the creation of payola by....I can't say cos, I ain't no rat....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:10 am 

AC/DC to split

Australian rock band AC/DC is set to announce their retirement, media reports say.

Entertainment reporter Peter Ford told Melbourne radio station 3AW on Monday that the band many never perform or record again.

Perth radio 6PR said the split was the result of illness, amid speculation that Malcolm Young was unwell.

Ford later tweeted that more details on the split would emerge shortly.

The rumour mill extended soon after to adding that this was due to a terminal illness.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:58 am 

Speaking of racists...

Quote:
White Supremacist Could Face Death Penalty for Kansas Killings
Kansas authorities charged Frazier Glenn Cross with capital murder on Tuesday, the early legal steps in what could culminate in the pursuit of the death penalty for the 73-year-old former Ku Klux Klan leader who allegedly shot to death three people at Jewish centers.

Whether prosecutors seek to put Cross to death won't become clear for months, probably, as Johnson County District Attorney Stephen Howe discusses the case with his prosecutors and the victims' families.

"I don't plan on making a knee-jerk reaction," Howe said at a news conference announcing the charges. "I prefer to take my time to make my decision."

Cross, a Vietnam veteran and avowed white supremacist who has tangled for years with civil rights groups and authorities, is due in court for his first appearance Tuesday afternoon.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/jewish ... ngs-n80946

Quote:
Arpaio Ready to Accept Racial Profiling Ruling: Documents

The self-styled "toughest sheriff in America" is prepared to accept a federal judge's finding that he and his Arizona department racially profiled Latinos in violation of the U.S. Constitution, court documents showed Monday.

Attorneys for Maricopa County submitted a draft "corrective statement" (PDF) in U.S. District Court in Phoenix acknowledging that the judge had found constitutional violations and stipulating that Joe Arpaio, the county's swaggering sheriff for more than 20 years, wouldn't appeal some of the findings.

The turnabout is a dramatic one for the 80-year-old Arpaio, who's insisted that his department never racially profiled Latinos as illegal immigrants while scores of lawsuits made their way through the courts and the U.S. Justice Department launched a civil rights investigation.

The document was filed in a class-action lawsuit in which U.S. District Judge Murray Snow found in May 2013 that the sheriff's office had systematically detained Latinos "solely on suspicion that they were in the United States without authorization" and had targeted them for special attention in traffic stops.

Last month, Snow hauled Arpaio and his chief deputy, Jerry Sheridan, into court to rebuke them for producing training videos for their deputies trivializing and misrepresenting his legal findings.

The "corrective statement" agrees to properly represent the judge's findings in communications with deputies — telling them that mere belief that someone might be in the U.S. illegally doesn't justify detaining him or her without some other reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed.

But beyond acknowledging the ruling, the legal filing goes further: It states that while the sheriff's office will continue its appeal of Snow's ruling finding racial profiling in traffic stops in general, "we are not appealing the Court's finding that that MCSO violated the constitutional rights of Latinos during saturation patrols" — in which officers flood a targeted geographic area in a concentrated law enforcement operation.

Moreover, even if the department wins its larger appeal, the finding that Maricopa deputies racially profiled Latinos in the targeted stops "will not be altered," the statement stipulates.

The sheriff’s office and the county attorney's office didn't immediately respond to requests for comment. But in a separate letter (PDF) accompanying the proposed "corrective statement," county attorneys wrote that "Sheriff Arpaio and Chief Deputy Sheridan are agreeable to signing Exhibit I as written if approved by the court."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/arp ... nts-n80486

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:41 pm 

[quote="SPACEBROTHER"]Speaking of racists...

Are you saying AC DC are a band of racists?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:02 pm 

I don't know whether they are or not. I wasn't implying that they were. It's a running theme in the threads about Ron Paul, Thatcher and DB, Fox News and Gun Control.

I do like some older AC/DC.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:27 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
I don't know whether they are or not. I wasn't implying that they were. It's a running theme in the threads about Ron Paul, Thatcher and DB, Fox News and Gun Control.

Mate this is the "breaking news" thread and as such is generally not polluted by the subjects: Ron Paul, Thatcher and DB, Fox News or Gun Control, which as you know all have their very own threads for your continued contributions. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:46 pm 

Back to the news

AC/DC's Malcolm Young 'suffering dementia'

AC/DC’s Malcolm Young is seriously ill and will not perform live again, a former label mate says.

Choirboys frontman Mark Gable says he believes the 61-year-old founding guitarist is unable to perform anymore and will probably never record again.

Rumours have been swirling since Tuesday that AC/DC are preparing to announce they will be hanging up their guitars and school uniforms for the last time.

"That is true, Malcolm is sick," Gable told ABC radio on Wednesday morning. "From what I understand, and it's even been confirmed in part by his son Ross (Young), that it would appear Malcolm is unable to perform anymore.

"It's not just that he is unwell, it's that it is quite serious. It will constitute that he definitely won't be able to perform live. He will probably not be able to record."

Although it is unclear what diagnosis the family has received on Young's condition, a source who knows the family has told Fairfax that Young's condition has deteriorated so badly his wife Linda and family were investigating full-time respite care for the once-powerhouse guitarist.

It is understood Young returned to Sydney with his family before Christmas and was having in-home care at his house in East Balmain. He is now said to be having difficulty remembering familiar faces and having increasing problems communicating.

"His memory loss is so bad it is consistent with Alzheimers or dementia although we do not know that is what it is. There has been talk about cancer too."

The family source told Fairfax the suggestion the band might split was "pure speculation", however other sources have said Angus Young and the late Bon Scott believed that "Malcolm was the band" and he might be the one person AC/DC could not continue without.

Claims of AC/DC's impending retirement were originally made in an email to Perth radio station 6PR by a person identifying himself as "Thunderstruck".

"My information is that Malcolm Young has moved himself and his family back to Australia, he's very very ill and that AC/DC may well be history," Thunderstruck told 6PR on Tuesday morning.

But Gable said Young's illness may not necessarily stop the band from continuing with plans for their 40th anniversary tour and to record their first album since 2008's Black Ice.

"There was speculation that they had this even tacit agreement that if no member currently was able to perform, DC would cease," Gable said.

"However Alex Young's son Stevie replaced Malcolm Young a few years back for a tour, and nobody knew the difference."

Gable and the Choirboys have been close to AC/DC for years.

In the early '80s they recorded their first self-titled album in the same studio the Australian hard rock band made their first five albums, after Angus and Malcolm Young's older brother and Easybeats founder George Young heard their demo in Sydney.

AC/DC was formed by brothers Angus Young, now 59, and his brother Malcolm, who migrated from Scotland to Sydney when they were children, in 1973.

For more than three decades the band has consistently performed at sold-out concerts across the globe.

One of the group's best-loved works is their successful and influential Back In Black album, which has sold more than 22 million copies in the US.

AAP, with Peter Vincent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:49 pm 

^ Too bad that, if true. Not that I'm an AC/DC fan or anything. :|

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:10 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
^ Too bad that, if true. Not that I'm an AC/DC fan or anything. :|

I've seen them twice in NZ and once in Australia, fantastic high energy live act....In Australia the fans were absolutely rabid, which made for a very interesting people watching concert experience 8)

It'll be a sad lose to the live act circuit if they throw in the towel.........

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:04 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:

Mate this is the "breaking news" thread and as such is generally not polluted by the subjects: Ron Paul, Thatcher and DB, Fox News or Gun Control, which as you know all have their very own threads for your continued contributions. :wink:

The triple homicide in Kansas by a white supremacist Libertarian Nationalist was breaking news.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:01 pm 

Spotify* has just emailed me a couple of three suggestions because I like or have listened to Frank Zappa...I guess that's what they're a thinkin' there,... so you wanna hear their three suggestions? :?:

*1st listen to Spotify for me.

Ya, I'm a tease aren't I? Ready for a big letdown or no!???! :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:36 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Spotify* has just emailed me a couple of three suggestions because I like or have listened to Frank Zappa...I guess that's what they're a thinkin' there,... so you wanna hear their three suggestions? :?:

*1st listen to Spotify for me.

Ya, I'm a tease aren't I. Big letdown or no!???! :twisted:

You old tease you.

I too am a victim of the modern marketing, any book, album etc purchased from amazon or e bay etc, will lead to a request from farse book asking if I know the author eg Pauline Butcher or the Grandmothers or Billy Hulting....today I got a friend request asking if I knew Beatles Videos...wtf of course I do, I think he was the weird Aussie kid in my pre school group and no I don't want to friend him....
I recently booked a hotel stay online and within minutes I got an e mail saying that from that one booking, thier travel scientists knew me intimately and had a whole bunch of woldwide money saving deals just for me.....who falls for this shit?

Oop's gotta go I've just been invited to go on a penguin safari in Antarctica at a 50% discount.. :roll:

PS I joined f book by accident....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:32 pm 

Good luck with them Mammy Nuns, Grey. It was so painfully ludicrous I had to laugh... having read the book and all.
1. CCR
2. Bob Dylan
3. Leonard Cohen

That's they're idea of what I want to hear? Shite, just gimme some of that Ol' "Sunday come to Frank music.". Y'all know the GW/HR/J'sG or your fav's and let them play all the way through. Make's ya feel clean again. Noooo shiiiit.... :wink: 8) :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:28 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Good luck with them Mammy Nuns, Grey. It was so painfully ludicrous I had to laugh... having read the book and all.
1. CCR
2. Bob Dylan
3. Leonard Cohen

That's they're idea of what I want to hear? Shite, just gimme some of that Ol' "Sunday come to Frank music.". Y'all know the GW/HR/J'sG or your fav's and let them play all the way through. Make's ya feel clean again. Noooo shiiiit.... :wink: 8) :D

Bob does get a mention in flakes - does cohen or CCR have any tangible link?
BTW, David cameron gets stung by jellyfish on his hols. Hope the blubbery thing is OK.
TT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:22 am 

deuce wrote:
Bob does get a mention in flakes - does cohen or CCR have any tangible link?

Absolutely nothin' that I can think of at this moment. I have no idea where they get this shite. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:23 am 

AC/DC singer denies split

AC/DC has confirmed founding member Malcolm Young has a "debilitating illness" and cannot continue in the band for now, but the group has vowed to make new music without him.

Yesterday lead singer Brian Johnson, told London's The Telegraph the band intended to keep its date with a Vancouver recording studio in May, although he did admit a band member had "a debilitating illness".

Then soon after AC/DC released a short statement via its Facebook page confirming the many rumours around Young:

"After forty years of life dedicated to AC/DC, guitarist and founding member Malcolm Young is taking a break from the band due to ill health. Malcolm would like to thank the group's diehard legions of fans worldwide for their never-ending love and support.

"In light of this news, AC/DC asks that Malcolm and his family's privacy be respected during this time."

Then came the words fans worldwide had been desperate to hear: "The band will continue to make music."

On Wednesday morning, a source close to the family told Fairfax that Young was unlikely to play again and could even be moved to respite care.

But Johnson made it clear the band hadn't finished. "We are definitely getting together in May in Vancouver," Johnson told The Telegraph.

"We're going to pick up some guitars, have a plonk, and see if anybody has got any tunes or ideas. If anything happens, we'll record it."

Johnson told The Telegraph the band was not splitting up but he admitted an uncertain future. "I wouldn't like to say anything either way about the future. I'm not ruling anything out.

"One of the boys has a debilitating illness, but I don't want to say too much about it. He is very proud and private, a wonderful chap. We've been pals for 35 years and I look up to him very much."

Johnson added that the mooted 40th anniversary world tour plans - initially said to include 40 shows in 40 venues were on hold.

"That would be a wonderful way to say 'bye bye'," Johnson said. "We would love to do it. But it's all up in the air at
the moment."

Rumours of AC/DC's imminent demise spread rapidly from Tuesday morning when Melbourne 3AW entertainment commentator Peter Forde reported the band may never record or tour again after an anonymous email to Perth station 6PR claimed Young had moved back to Australia and was "very, very ill".

The rumour spread worldwide via social media and while many people close to the band and family commented on Young's health, the band itself stayed silent until late on Wednesday.

Earlier, Choirboys frontman Mark Gable confirmed Young's illness to ABC radio: "From what I understand, and it's even been confirmed in part by his son Ross (Young), that it would appear Malcolm is unable to perform anymore."

- Sydney Morning Herald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:28 pm 

US Drones Killed Scores, Now Yemen Scrambles to ID ‘Suspects’

Hopes to Find al-Qaeda Figures Among the Slain

by Jason Ditz, April 22, 2014

Three days of US drone strikes and at least one ambush involving US ground troops in Bayda have left scores of people dead across Yemen’s south and east, in what Yemeni officials touted as an unprecedented offensive.

Yemen may be finding it oversold the bloodletting somewhat, however, as now they are faced with 70-plus bodies, who they have all officially labeled “suspects,” and none of them has actually been identified yet.

US officials cited a “sniffer dog” as having confirmed one of the ambush slain was Ibraham al-Asiri, and Yemen is frantically running DNA tests on the bodies hoping one of them actually is Asiri, because if not that’s just more egg on their face.

Officials say it is conceivable that either Asiri or AQAP militant Nasser al-Wahayshi are among the slain, and while the official Yemeni response to attacks usually begins and ends with labeling everyone “suspects,” the sheer number of dead virtually obliges them to find evidence of someone meaningful slain.

I bet it would be on news if the scores of people killed were in the US.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:28 am 

You may have heard of the NYPD post-a-piccie-with-a-cop thing that didn't work out as planned.
The Dutch CIA, the AIVD, had a similar non-working social media event today: people could get their questions to the AIVD answered if they posted it with the tag #halloAIVD . Cue silly, weird and odd questions like "I lost the password to my old Hotmail account, can you help?" "How many fingers am I sticking up now?" "What is the name of Rumpelstiltskin?" Etcetera etcetera.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:33 am 

Brazil enacts Internet 'Bill of Rights'

People hold a banner in support of Brazil's President Dilma Rousseff as she addresses the opening ceremony of NETmundial, a major conference on the future of Internet governance in Sao Paulo, Brazil, Wednesday, April 23, 2014. Rousseff ratified a bill guaranteeing Internet privacy and enshrining access to the Web during the conference.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2014-04-brazil-int ... s.html#jCp

Brazil's president signed into law on Wednesday a "Bill of Rights" for the digital age that aims to protect online privacy and promote the Internet as a public utility by barring telecommunications companies from charging for preferential access to their networks.

The law signed by President Dilma Rousseff at a global conference on the future of Internet governance puts Brazil in the vanguard of online consumer protection and what is known as "net neutrality," whose promoters consider it profoundly democratic in part because it keeps financial barriers for innovators low.

The new law promotes privacy by limiting the data that online companies can collect on Internet users in this nation of 200 million people, deeming communications over the Internet "inviolable and secret." Service providers must develop protocols to ensure email can be read only by senders and their intended recipients. Violators are subject to penalties including fines and suspension.

The law obliges Internet companies, however, to hold on to user data for six months and hand it over to law enforcement under court order.

Enactment of the law, which won final legislative approval in the Senate late Tuesday, coincided with Brazil's hosting of a global conference widely seen as an effort to chart a path for a less U.S.-centric Internet and attended by high-level delegations from countries including Germany and the United States.

Brazil cast itself as a defender of Internet freedom after revelations last year that the U.S. National Security Agency had spied on Rousseff, her close advisers and Brazilian commercial interests, including the state-run oil company Petrobras.

Rousseff canceled a state visit to the U.S. in October over the disclosures, the result of damaging leaks by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden. She said she would promote more home-grown Internet services beginning with a national email service, and make Brazil's piece of the global Internet less U.S.-dependent, in part by laying an undersea cable to Europe. The bulk of Latin America's Internet traffic passes through the United States.

Attendees among the more than 800 people who filled a hotel ballroom at the NETMundial forum Wednesday generally praised Rousseff.

"It is a fantastic example of how governments can play a positive role in advancing Web rights and keeping the Web open," said the World Wide Web's inventor, Tim Berners-Lee.

Rousseff called the law's "net neutrality" clause "fundamental to maintaining the Internet's free and open nature." It bars companies that sell Internet service from turning their networks into toll roads.

Such companies argue they need to charge more for content that demands higher bandwidth, such as video streaming or voice communications.

Net neutrality advocates say the Internet should be treated as a public utility, especially as consolidation in the telecommunications business reduces the number of providers so that many operate as near monopolies.

The Brazilian law's enactment follows the overwhelming passage earlier this month by the European Parliament of a net neutrality bill.

Other countries that have net neutrality laws include Netherlands and Chile, which was the first to do so in 2010. In the United States, net neutrality rules imposed by the Federal Communications Commission were struck down by a court in January. The following month, movie-streamer Netflix struck a deal with Comcast to pay for preferential treatment of Internet traffic bearing its film streams.

Net neutrality advocates say the Internet should be treated as a public utility, especially as consolidation in the telecommunications business reduces the number of providers so that many operate as near monopolies.

The Brazilian law's enactment follows the overwhelming passage earlier this month by the European Parliament of a net neutrality bill.

Other countries that have net neutrality laws include Netherlands and Chile, which was the first to do so in 2010. In the United States, net neutrality rules imposed by the Federal Communications Commission were struck down by a court in January. The following month, movie-streamer Netflix struck a deal with Comcast to pay for preferential treatment of Internet traffic bearing its film streams.

One topic discussed at NETMundial was the U.S. government's recent announcement that it plans to turn over the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, which manages the core functions of the Internet, to a "global multi-stakeholder community" once its contract with the U.S. Commerce Department expires in 2015.

Known as ICANN, the institution has allocated domain names and the numerical addresses to which they are attached since 1998.

China, Russia and other countries have advocated putting management of the Internet's core under control of the International Telecommunications Union, a U.N. body. But online civil liberties activists and governments including the United States oppose the idea, fearing such a move would strengthen the hand of countries that have been censoring online expression.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2014-04-brazil-internet-bill-rights.htm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:41 am 

It won't matter...World War III on deck...

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/04/ ... cture.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:13 am 

I don't wanna to get drafted, I don't want to go whoa whoa whoa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:39 pm 

A rope leash wrote:
It won't matter...World War III on deck...

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/04/ ... cture.html

How does this:

"War is horrible for the economy, and makes the American people poorer"

equal this:

"And the powers-that-be are desperate to ramp up war to distract the population from our economic problems"

So, what that says is War is terrible for the economy and makes people poor. However, the powers-that-be (I assume government and the military industrial complex are being referred to here) want to ramp up the war to distract the population from economic problems? Oh, that makes sense. War causes a weak economy, so if we have a war, which will make the economy weaker, no one will notice that we have economic problems? What the fuck kind of logic is that? I admit some of the information on that page seems legitimate, but claiming those in power are trying to push us into a war that destroys the economy in order to distract us from our destroyed economy is beyond ridiculous. That's like saying pollution destroys the environment, so let's encourage everyone to pollute more to distract them from all of the environmental problems.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9363 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 354, 355, 356, 357, 358, 359, 360 ... 375  Next