Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 355, 356, 357, 358, 359, 360, 361 ... 370  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:11 pm 

I didn't know this...

Alvin Lee of Ten Years After Dead at 68

Guitarist and singer had complications from surgery

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... z2zrNCbVLJ

One of my favorites God bless you Mr. Graham Barnes, fastest guitar in the west.

Boy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:19 pm 

Oh, from the above:
"The band played the Newport Jazz Festival in 1969, which was the first time the event had featured rock artists"

I rember this day, Frank played there too with complete ensamble. $4 general admission, I was near front in line...the ticket collectors got to collect about the first 4 tickets before the stampede overran them. I made about the 2nd row but had to move back to the 12th so as not to crane my neck. I wish I knew what happened to those polaroids of early Frank that I used to have taped inside my Freak Out album.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:23 pm 

I'm goin' home...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7csw8Pw804

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:15 pm 

Hey Baddy ! Nice to see ya :D

One of my favorites too !

I had always heard that Alvin named the band what he did , was because their 1st real gig was the same day , Ten Years After , Elvis was inducted into the Army.

Ever heard that roomfactor ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:36 pm 

Way back when I began replacing my record collection with those new fangled cds TYA were number two or three on my list for modernisation. I love those guys, I subsequently got all of Alvins solo stuff, I blame Ten Year After for blowing up not one but two B&O amplifier$ and a nice set of Onkyo $peakers. :twisted:

On the 7th of April 2013 Alvin Lee was to appear at The Olympia Hall in Paris (way on down in France) along with Johnny Winter but, due to Alvins untimely demise in March, the performance became a tribute concert starring Johnny and Edgar Winter, Tommy Emmanuel, Robben Ford and Johnny Gallagher. There is a bitchin' bootleg of that show still doing the rounds.

In September 2013 his family released what turned out to be his final concert: The Last Show, recorded in Holland on the 28th of May 2012. And there were rumours of further posthumous albums still to come....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:06 pm 

I know I told the story here of seeing Ten Years Later (as Buddy Rich jokingly called them) at The Fillmore west in '70. What a pair to draw too. Great show. They had just come off the Woodstock gig, still before the Woodstock album came out. They where playin' the songs from they're self titled album, TYA. I'd Love to Change The World was a nice stand out Metal ballad as I remember. Going Home was always killer. I went to that show on Thursday night and another on Sunday night. It was that good! Plus my folks were shocked that I'd be going to see a Buddy Rich & his Orchestra show anywhere they gave me the dough for Sunday night. Pops slipped me a twenty. I think they were, ahem, feeling amorous that night. But WTF, it was a good excuse to see them both again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:51 pm 

S&P Downgrades Russia to BBB-Minus, One Notch Above Junk
Ratings Firms Cites Large Capital Outflows in First Quarter

A WSJ Staff Reporter
April 25, 2014 2:17 a.m. ET

Standard & Poor's Ratings Services cut its rating on Russia to one notch above junk, citing large capital outflows in the first quarter.

S&P cut its rating one level, to BBB-minus from BBB. It kept its outlook on the country negative, where it has been since March 20, when the ratings firm lowered it from stable in light of heightened tension in Ukraine and the prospect of economic sanctions.

"In our view, the tense geopolitical situation between Russia and Ukraine could see additional significant outflows of both foreign and domestic capital from the Russian economy and hence further undermine already weakening growth prospects," S&P wrote in its report.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:26 am 

duchamp wrote:
So, what that says is War is terrible for the economy and makes people poor. However, the powers-that-be (I assume government and the military industrial complex are being referred to here) want to ramp up the war to distract the population from economic problems? Oh, that makes sense. War causes a weak economy, so if we have a war, which will make the economy weaker, no one will notice that we have economic problems? What the fuck kind of logic is that? I admit some of the information on that page seems legitimate, but claiming those in power are trying to push us into a war that destroys the economy in order to distract us from our destroyed economy is beyond ridiculous.

Actually it makes perfect sense. It's so much easier for the government to blame the weak economy on war rather than it's incompetent fiscal policy. Why would they blame themselves? It's the government's job to look good and put any kind of blame on something else.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:43 am 

tiboudre wrote:
duchamp wrote:
So, what that says is War is terrible for the economy and makes people poor. However, the powers-that-be (I assume government and the military industrial complex are being referred to here) want to ramp up the war to distract the population from economic problems? Oh, that makes sense. War causes a weak economy, so if we have a war, which will make the economy weaker, no one will notice that we have economic problems? What the fuck kind of logic is that? I admit some of the information on that page seems legitimate, but claiming those in power are trying to push us into a war that destroys the economy in order to distract us from our destroyed economy is beyond ridiculous.

Actually it makes perfect sense. It's so much easier for the government to blame the weak economy on war rather than it's incompetent fiscal policy. Why would they blame themselves? It's the government's job to look good and put any kind of blame on something else.

But the argument stated that the government was pushing us into the war for the purpose of distracting from the poor economy, that the very reason for the war was to be a distraction. Claiming that the reason the government wants a war that causes a poor economy is to distract from the poor economy does not make any sense at all. Yes, of course it makes sense for them to try and find something to blame the poor economy on, but that was not the argument.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:13 am 

Brazilian military rule torturer Paulo Malhaes found dead

Not Saddam: Paulo Malhaes said he never regretted his actions

A Brazilian former army colonel who admitted torturing and killing political prisoners under military rule up to the 1980s has been found dead.

Paulo Malhaes, 76, was killed by three men who entered his home outside Rio de Janeiro on Thursday, police say.

Last month, he said he never regretted killing "as many people as necessary" and tortured "many" prisoners.

Almost 500 people disappeared or were killed in Brazil when it was ruled by the army between 1964 and 1985.

Thousands more were detained and tortured, including current President Dilma Rousseff.

According to his wife, Col Malhaes was suffocated by three men who broke into their home. Police say the assailants stole computers and some guns.

Graphic testimony

Prominent Brazilian lawyer Wadih Damous said the intruders may have been after secret files he held.

"He was an important agent of political repression during the dictatorship and held much information about events that occurred behind the scenes at the time," Mr Damous said.

Last month Col Malhaes appeared before Brazil's National Truth Commission, which is investigating past abuses.

He gave graphic testimony on how he had tortured many political prisoners. "I did my duty. I have no regrets," he told the commission. <These included the use of Boa and alligators, rape, shocks, all the drill and corpse mutilation to avoid identification by severing fingers and breaking teeth, according the the dead person "there was no DNA back thenm isn't it?">

He defended his actions saying that the people he killed and tortured were "guerrillas who fought an armed struggle".

Brazilian police say they are looking for CCTV images which might help identify Col Malhaes' killers.

On 1 April, Brazil marked 50 years since the 1964 coup that led to the military government.

President Rousseff said the atrocities committed during that time must never be forgotten.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-27166848

<Those who break the silence oath die...>

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:58 am 

Mij wrote:
coevad wrote:
Enough of this bullshit! Monty Python's back!

http://www.people.com/people/article/0, ... 10,00.html

Fuck yeah!

Good News indeed ! :lol:

The last show will be simulcast in movie theaters worldwide!

http://ow.ly/waO3j

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:09 pm 

Cream reunion tour scrapped

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=862791&ocid=Outbrain=obinsite

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:25 pm 

E.T.'s Home Is Found: Trove Of Atari Games Unearthed At Landfill

by BILL CHAPELL
April 26, 2014 4:36 PM ET

For decades, it was mere legend: an "Atari Dump" rumored to harbor millions of copies of E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, a video game so bad that burying it in the New Mexico desert seemed the best way to move on.

But now, the Atari graveyard has been exhumed, and the latest attempt to find the cache of game cartridges has been declared a success. Helped by heavy machinery, a crew found some of the games today, in a dig that inspired the Twitter hashtag .

The Atari 2600 gear was found in a landfill in Alamogordo, N.M., where the city council voted in 2013 to allow gaming media company Fuel Industries to search for unsold boxes of games and other items that were allegedly dumped there by 14 trucks in 1983.

Fuel is making a documentary about the search for E.T. It also organized a hunt for the game consoles at the landfill Saturday.

"We found something," film director Zak Penn told an excited crowd at the dig site this afternoon. "We found an intact ET video game. The actual cartridge is still in there."

E.T.: "I'll... be... right... here."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:05 pm 

(*chuckle) I've played that video game a couple dozen times. Back then, even the good video games were really silly and clunky, but what did we know. I don't think anyone really knew how fast and visually incredible those games would become or that a series of multinational billion dollar video game companies would spring up. Quite the step up from Pong. 8)

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:06 pm 

I dunno...digging up that alien shit never turns out well......

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:56 am 

Ha!
ET's badness is quite legendary: one of my favourite Let's Plays of it is by Noah Entweiler, who had just had an intense dental procedure and was "going for the record of pain in one day", a phrase I've used a lot since. Very glad to see tue upgrade from rumor to true!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:01 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
I dunno...digging up that alien shit never turns out well......

The Tommyknockers ~ Steven King....it happens every time they dig up alien things, bad Ju-Ju! Although I did like Tracy Lords in the flick...or was it just my imagination running away from me? She was an alien too! :shock: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:02 am 

Zonkey born in Mexico:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS-Fz4z0O2Y

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:10 am 

coevad wrote:
Mij wrote:
coevad wrote:
Enough of this bullshit! Monty Python's back!

http://www.people.com/people/article/0, ... 10,00.html

Fuck yeah!

Good News indeed ! :lol:

The last show will be simulcast in movie theaters worldwide!

http://ow.ly/waO3j

Not to put a damper on this, I wonder if they've written any new sketches and, if they have, if they're any good. I know the "Parrot Sketch" off by heart by now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:15 am 

duchamp wrote:
But the argument stated that the government was pushing us into the war for the purpose of distracting from the poor economy, that the very reason for the war was to be a distraction. Claiming that the reason the government wants a war that causes a poor economy is to distract from the poor economy does not make any sense at all. Yes, of course it makes sense for them to try and find something to blame the poor economy on, but that was not the argument.

Yes, the ecomony is bad, but starting a war (which proves bad for any economy) is a way the gov't will try to fool the people. So the gov't (with bad fiscal policies, leading to a bad economy) will start a (unnecessary) war, blame the poor economy on the war itself, rather than their own fiscal policies, hence shifting the blame from where it really belongs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:29 am 

tiboudre wrote:

Yes, the ecomony is bad, but starting a war (which proves bad for any economy) is a way the gov't will try to fool the people. So the gov't (with bad fiscal policies, leading to a bad economy) will start a (unnecessary) war, blame the poor economy on the war itself, rather than their own fiscal policies, hence shifting the blame from where it really belongs.

I'm not sure if I agree. The US certainly profited economically from WWII in a positive way many might argue and they then spread the wealth around (c.f. Marshall Plan).
And if you're a total despot and win (c.f. Hitler's intentions) you can profit economically by taking all the conquered country's natural resources, labour etc.
That's not to say I'm defending wars or the present or past administrations' conduct thereof...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:53 am 

Caputh wrote: I wonder if they've written any new sketches

That is a good question.
I would have to think that they'll do something new.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:52 am 

Released Convict Breaks Into Apartment, Smashes 3 Women in Their Heads With Hammer
28 April, 2014 / by Website Editor / in Crime

A New York man has been arrested after he broke into a Queens apartment late Sunday night and attacked three women who were sleeping with a hammer before robbing them.

According to authorities, police have arrested 29-year-old Lawrence Parsons who sneaked into the apartment through an open window, ransacked the rooms, and seriously injured the occupants with a hammer.

According to reports, 31-year-old Dawn Picota was attacked after she walked in to find Parsons hitting her mother with the hammer. That’s when Parsons turned to her and attacked her until she was unconscious. He then entered the aunt’s bedroom and attacked her.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:54 pm 

BBP wrote:

Much more impressive than the geep....

Chromosomes incompatible? wrong again professor.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:24 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
A New York man has been arrested after he broke into a Queens apartment late Sunday night and attacked three women who were sleeping with a hammer before robbing them.

Good thing they weren't sleeping with a power drill!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 355, 356, 357, 358, 359, 360, 361 ... 370  Next