Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9726 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 356, 357, 358, 359, 360, 361, 362 ... 390  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:24 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
A New York man has been arrested after he broke into a Queens apartment late Sunday night and attacked three women who were sleeping with a hammer before robbing them.

Good thing they weren't sleeping with a power drill!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:16 am 

'Sugar daddy' website links struggling students with older partners

Seeking Arrangement links post-secondary students with partners willing to help pay bills

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.2625194

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:35 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
BBP wrote:

Much more impressive than the geep....

Chromosomes incompatible? wrong again professor.

Looks like a case for Mr_Green_Genes...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:50 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
AC/DC to split

Australian rock band AC/DC is set to announce their retirement, media reports say.

Entertainment reporter Peter Ford told Melbourne radio station 3AW on Monday that the band many never perform or record again.

Perth radio 6PR said the split was the result of illness, amid speculation that Malcolm Young was unwell.

Ford later tweeted that more details on the split would emerge shortly.

The rumour mill extended soon after to adding that this was due to a terminal illness.

:?: I read an article about this in a german newspaper today. Zappa was quoted: "If u wanna learn something about guitars, u have to listen to AC/DC". Did he really say that? Does anybody know the source?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:27 am 

Scorpions rocker jailed for flipping bird
Newspapers in the United Arab Emirates are reporting that the American drummer for the rock band Scorpions has been sentenced to one month in jail after being convicted of offensive behavior in Dubai.
The government-backed National newspaper reported that James Kottak was convicted of insulting Islam, raising his middle finger and being under the influence of alcohol while in transit at Dubai airport.
The Gulf News daily says he was arrested April 3rd en route from Russia to Bahrain, where the German band, who brought the world Wind of Change was scheduled to perform at a Formula One race. Kottak was a no-show at the April 5th concert.
The newspapers say Kottak admitted to drinking but denied other charges.
The Scorpions' manager didn't respond to requests for comment. Kottak's local lawyer couldn't immediately be reached.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:29 am 

ursinator wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
AC/DC to split

Australian rock band AC/DC is set to announce their retirement, media reports say.

Entertainment reporter Peter Ford told Melbourne radio station 3AW on Monday that the band many never perform or record again.

Perth radio 6PR said the split was the result of illness, amid speculation that Malcolm Young was unwell.

Ford later tweeted that more details on the split would emerge shortly.

The rumour mill extended soon after to adding that this was due to a terminal illness.

:?: I read an article about this in a german newspaper today. Zappa was quoted: "If u wanna learn something about guitars, u have to listen to AC/DC". Did he really say that? Does anybody know the source?

Trendy will know :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:05 am 

I have heard Zappa say "AC/DC bop bop bop" and "AC/DC do-do-do-dun". So there you go.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:30 pm 

I figure it was probably Ahmet, and he was talking about AZ/DZ...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:52 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I have heard Zappa say "AC/DC bop bop bop" and "AC/DC do-do-do-dun". So there you go.

Isn't that from FO's Help I'm A Rock in the III movement "It Can't Happen Here" part?
Doot-doot-doot-doot they hadda swimming pool. Now it's stuck in my head. Thank you cal. :wink: 8)

Of course this was way before AC/DC was a touring band. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:28 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Isn't that from FO's Help I'm A Rock in the III movement "It Can't Happen Here" part?
Doot-doot-doot-doot they hadda swimming pool. Now it's stuck in my head. Thank you cal. :wink: 8)

Of course this was way before AC/DC was a touring band. :twisted:

Frank was a visionary.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:02 am 

Newz from San Ber'dino, Rancho Cucamonga

http://ktla.com/2014/04/30/fire-reportedly-burning-north-of-rancho-cucamonga/#axzz30Tpq3eL3

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:19 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:

Yup. I can smell it.
The winds are expected to die down by the weekend.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:25 am 

Nice new avatar coevad, real patriotic!
Skake, shake, shake,
Shake, shake, shake,
Shake your boobies!
Shake your boobies!
:D :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:28 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Nice new avatar coevad, real patriotic!
Skake, shake, shake,
Shake, shake, shake,
Shake your boobies!
Shake your boobies!
:D :mrgreen:

Thanks KK. I've had bad luck with gifs in the past. I quess I got lucky this time.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:31 pm 

Attention people of England

Cobham woman's memoir of life with rock legend Frank Zappa comes to BBC Radio Four

Frank Zappa And Me, a dramatised version of Freak Out! My Life With Frank Zappa by Pauline Butcher Bird, hits the airwaves on Tuesday at 2.15pm on BBC Radio Four.

The Fairfield Park resident said: "The play takes place from 1967 to 1972 when I was a straight English girl suddenly immersed in the centre of a rock 'n' roll maelstrom in Laurel Canyon, Hollywood."

She added: "This is my first book and it is very unusual for a first book to be adapted into a radio play so I feel chuffed about that."

Matthew Broughton's 45-minute adaptation of her memoir, which stars Ronan Summers and Lucy Briggs-Owen, begins when Pauline meets the unconventional avant-garde musician on a trip to promote the Mothers of Invention's first concert at the Royal Albert Hall.

After asking her to type the lyrics of his second album, Absolutely Free, the young Pauline finds herself unable to understand the strange words.

After making up her own, much to Zappa's amusement, the two unlikely minds find a rapport that takes Pauline to Los Angeles to live and work in Zappa's house amid an entourage of musicians, freaks and other rock stars.

The story follows Pauline's relationship with Frank from a shaky seduction scene to Pauline's shock as a gunman threatens to shoot him.

The book was based on the letters she wrote to her parents, who lovingly kept them in a shoebox for 40 years.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:21 am 

Rocker on literary and musical odyssey

YOU may not automatically think of Alan Clayson as a polymath just by looking at his photo, writes Lesley Potter.

But the Caversham-based rock star is busy researching the official biography of one of the biggest rock heroes to come out of the United States — his 31st book — as well as limbering up for a rare reunion concert in Reading next month with his band, Clayson and the Argonauts.

“I have been appointed to write Frank Zappa’s official biography,” he says. “This came about because I did a book about a composer called Edgard Varèse, who no one has ever heard of.

“He was contemporaneous with Stravinsky and it was the poorest selling book I have ever written. I wrote it off as a literary faux pas. Then 18 months ago I got a call from California by someone claiming to be Gail Zappa, the widow of Frank Zappa. When you get a call like that you think it’s someone messing about, but she had bought the book because it turns out Varèse was Zappa’s favourite composer.”

Gail came to London, had lunch with Clayson in a nouvelle cuisine restaurant in Covent Garden and brokered a deal. The pair are now looking for an agent and publisher for the official biography. Meanwhile, Clayson — who describes his music as “baroque ‘n’ roll” — is planning a come-back gig at the Rising Sun Arts Centre in Reading on May 2.

The support act will be the Ramshackle Unstrung Band, featuring vocalist Denny Mills, formerly of Scatman PX, and guitarist John Townsend.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:06 am 

Nice, thanks, Ghost! Baroque n Roll, I like it...

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:37 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:

Cobham woman's memoir of life with rock legend Frank Zappa comes to BBC Radio Four

Frank Zappa And Me, a dramatised version of Freak Out! My Life With Frank Zappa by Pauline Butcher Bird, hits the airwaves on Tuesday at 2.15pm on BBC Radio Four.

The Fairfield Park resident said: "The play takes place from 1967 to 1972 when I was a straight English girl suddenly immersed in the centre of a rock 'n' roll maelstrom in Laurel Canyon, Hollywood."

She added: "This is my first book and it is very unusual for a first book to be adapted into a radio play so I feel chuffed about that."

Matthew Broughton's 45-minute adaptation of her memoir, which stars Ronan Summers and Lucy Briggs-Owen, begins when Pauline meets the unconventional avant-garde musician on a trip to promote the Mothers of Invention's first concert at the Royal Albert Hall.

After asking her to type the lyrics of his second album, Absolutely Free, the young Pauline finds herself unable to understand the strange words.

After making up her own, much to Zappa's amusement, the two unlikely minds find a rapport that takes Pauline to Los Angeles to live and work in Zappa's house amid an entourage of musicians, freaks and other rock stars.

The story follows Pauline's relationship with Frank from a shaky seduction scene to Pauline's shock as a gunman threatens to shoot him.

The book was based on the letters she wrote to her parents, who lovingly kept them in a shoebox for 40 years.

The announcement of FaceBook seemed to attract a disbeliever...

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:49 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

The announcement of FaceBook seemed to attract a disbeliever...

Ummo must live deep deep deep in the forest :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:05 pm 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b042jhlc

Don't listen if you think Barrie Miles Book About FZ is offensive :)

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:47 pm 

New Hampshire Legislature Passes Anti-Spying Bill
Tenth Amendment Center communications director Mike Maharrey sees the inclusion of federal agencies in this clause as an important part of the bill. “Including federal agencies in this prohibition on obtaining electronic information without a warrant does three important things,” he said. “It will force the federal courts to take a position on the constitutionality of mass federal surveillance programs, since federal statute cannot preempt if it’s not constitutional in the first place,” he said. ‘It also brings to the forefront that each state does indeed have a role to play in rejecting unconstitutional spying programs, whether they’re state or federal.”

Maharrey said that while it would be “highly improbable” for HB1533 to actually stop federal spying programs in the state, there are other parts of the bill that would have an immediate impact on the practice effect of the surveillance.

NSA collects, stores, and analyzes data on countless millions of people without a warrant, and without even the mere suspicion of criminal activity. The NSA tracks the physical location of people through their cellphones. In late 2013, the Washington Post reported that NSA is “gathering nearly 5 billion records a day on the whereabouts of cellphones around the world.” This includes location data on “tens of millions” of Americans each year – without a warrant.

More here...
http://blog.tenthamendmentcenter.com/20 ... 25IP_ldVfU

baddys comment, "Live Free or Die."

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:09 pm 

Clay Aiken Opponent Crisco Dead

Keith Crisco, the Democratic candidate locked in a too-close-to-call election for a North Carolina House seat against former American Idol contestant Clay Aiken, died suddenly on Monday, NBC News confirms.

His death was confirmed to NBC by a representative at Asheboro Elastics Corporation, which was co-founded by Crisco.

The death was first reported by the Asheboro Courier-Tribune. The newspaper wrote that he appeared to have suffered injuries from a fall at his home. He was 71.

Crisco and Aiken competed in last Tuesday’s Democratic primary, but the race had not been called nearly a week later as both candidates awaited an official canvassing tomorrow. Those results could trigger a full recount or a two-man runoff.

As of Monday, Aiken held a 369 vote lead with 40.83% of the vote.

Crisco, a textile entrepreneur, previously served as North Carolina's Secretary of Commerce. His campaign did not immediately respond to requests for information.

The North Carolina State Board of Elections expressed condolences in a statement.

"A native of North Carolina, we are grateful for Mr. Crisco’s service to our state and his community through the years," the board said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the Crisco family during this difficult time."

Crisco poured several hundred thousand dollars of his own money into his campaign and ran a tough ad during the primary against Aiken over the singer's absence at meetings for a Bush-era presidential appointment to a committee on people with intellectual disabilities.

The winner of the Democratic primary would face Republican Rep. Renee Ellmers in the general election.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/electio ... ad-n103551

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:42 pm 

Byrds, Doors, Parsons, Zappa: 'Sounds of Laurel Canyon 1965-1977' Opens at Grammy Museum

Laurel Canyon wasn't much to look at - a few modest bungalows and log cabins crammed between an occasional faded mansion that had been left over from the days when it was a secluded, semi-rural retreat for Hollywood's silent-movie stars.

And yet from the quiet of the densely wooded canyon came a music revolution that would change popular culture.

The likes of David Crosby and Graham Nash worked on their music - or in some cases created new genres like folk-rock and country-rock - pretty much in anonymity during the 1960s and 1970s, in a place where no one bothered to go in those days unless they lived there.

Now, the sights and sounds of the canyon have been captured and transported from its narrow serpentine streets to downtown LA's Grammy Museum in an exhibition called "California Dreamin': The Sounds of Laurel Canyon 1965-1977."

The exhibition, a senses-shaking assault of music, memorabilia and visuals hits as you enter a gallery that features everything from reminisces by Jackson Browne to hand-written lyrics by Frank Zappa and Gram Parsons.

There are brief video performances by the Turtles, music by the Eagles and the Doors, and scores of candid photos, like one of Joni Mitchell perched idyllically on a canyon hillside, playing a dulcimer.

But "California Dreamin'" also seeks to document what its curator, Grammy Museum Executive Director Bob Santelli, believes is one of the most important and overlooked moments in pop music history.

While the media were documenting the folk music renaissance Bob Dylan helped launch in New York's Greenwich Village in the early 1960s and the psychedelic scene that sprung from San Francisco's Haight-Ashbury District a few years later, Santelli said, musicians who took up residence by the score in Laurel Canyon were actually doing much more.

They quickly launched several new music genres, Santelli said, including the laid-back, LA-centric singer-songwriter movement that came to flower with the emergence of Browne, Mitchell, James Taylor and others.

Although the canyon's dirty brown hills rise up above Hollywood's Sunset Strip and the neighborhood's many music clubs and recording studios, many of the canyon's streets were unpaved then, giving the place a rural, backwoods feel.

To this day the place only has one store and roads so narrow that on some of them two cars can't pass unless one backs up.

Thus the Byrds were free to experiment pretty much uninterrupted and unbothered until they created music's first true folk-rock album, merging electric-guitar chords with lyrics by Dylan and others to create "Mr. Tambourine Man."

Nearby, Jim Morrison was creating the ethereal sounds that would make the music of the Doors everlasting, while Zappa was putting together his neo-classical arrangements from a faded mansion that silent-era movie star Tom Mix had once owned.

From a house on Lookout Mountain Road, Mitchell was drawing inspiration for the album "Ladies of the Canyon," while boyfriend Nash was immortalizing the modest abode they shared in "Our House," arguably his most beautiful song.

"I heard the Eagles writing songs up there, writing `Desperado,' sitting around the piano. Don Henley, Glenn Frey and J.D. Souther, all on one piano bench, all sticking their hands on the keys," said rock music photographer Henry Diltz, who lived there.

His iconic images fill a wall of the exhibit.

Along with those of Linda Ronstadt, Neil Young and others is the classic pose of Nash, Stephen Stills and Crosby sitting on the porch of a rustic canyon house. It would become the cover of their eponymous first album, "Crosby, Stills and Nash."

The three, who formed rock's first so-called supergroup, had been brought together at another canyon home, that of Cass Elliot of The Mamas & the Papas.

As to why all these musicians settled in Laurel Canyon and not, say Paris, in the 1960s and `70s, the answer is simple, said Mark Volman of the Turtles.

"It was cheap and musicians are cheap," guffawed Volman, who rented a house for $280 a month in 1965 with Poco's Richie Furay. "It housed musicians because musicians made no money in those days and when they did the record companies stole it."

Eventually of course, they would make money, and would leave the canyon for neighborhoods where there was more than one store and the streets actually had sidewalks.

"You know what happens," said Diltz, who moved to the San Fernando Valley. "You get married, right, and then you have kids. And when you have kids you have to move downhill to where the schools and the birthday parties and the supermarkets are."

Meanwhile, in the years afterward, the canyon's legacy brought in the wealthy, who priced out future generations of struggling musicians. Even the modest homes like the place Volman and Furay shared go for $1 million or more now.

"But Laurel Canyon was always more than just a scene," Santelli said. "It was also a mindset."

Until the end of November that mindset lives on the second floor of the Grammy Museum.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:48 pm 

What do you get in a non-Union labor market?...

Quote:
Report highlights child labor on US tobacco farms

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — You may have to be at least 18 to buy cigarettes in the U.S., but children as young as 7 are working long hours in fields harvesting nicotine- and pesticide-laced tobacco leaves under sometimes hazardous and sweltering conditions, according to a report released Wednesday by an international rights group.

The Human Rights Watch report details findings from interviews with more than 140 children working on farms in North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia, where a majority of the country's tobacco is grown. The group acknowledges that most of what it documented is legal...

"The U.S. has failed America's families by not meaningfully protecting child farmworkers from dangers to their health and safety, including on tobacco farms," said Margaret Wurth, children's rights researcher and co-author of the report. "Farming is hard work anyway, but children working on tobacco farms get so sick that they throw up, get covered by pesticides and have no real protective gear."

Children interviewed by the group in 2012 and 2013 reported vomiting, nausea and headaches while working on tobacco farms. The symptoms they reported are consistent with nicotine poisoning often called Green Tobacco Sickness, which occurs when workers absorb nicotine through their skin while handling tobacco plants.

The children also said they worked long hours — often in extreme heat — without overtime pay or sufficient breaks and wore no, or inadequate, protective gear.

According to the report, U.S. agriculture labor laws allow children to work longer hours at younger ages and in more hazardous conditions than children in any other industry. With their parent's permission, children as young as 12 can be hired for unlimited hours outside of school hours on a farm of any size. And there's no minimum age for children to work on small farms.
Republican Kentucky state Sen. Paul Hornback, who has worked in tobacco fields since he was 10 and now farms about 100 acres of tobacco in Shelby County, Kentucky, said...he doesn't believe further restrictions are needed.

"People get pretty extreme about trying to protect everybody from everything," Hornback said. "It's hard manual labor, but there's nothing wrong with hard manual labor."

http://news.msn.com/us/report-highlight ... acco-farms

...and whose in charge of regulatory authority? Oh yeah, the Republican/Tea Party/Libertarian controlled Congress. Go figure. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:14 pm 

Just a day after the release of a report showing his administration has set free hundreds of illegal immigrants convicted of murder and other serious crimes, President Obama told law enforcement groups Tuesday that an immigration bill with amnesty provisions would make America safer.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... z31k5izEDz
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

And who's in charge ?

:roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9726 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 356, 357, 358, 359, 360, 361, 362 ... 390  Next