Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 367, 368, 369, 370, 371, 372, 373 ... 379  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:37 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Customs and Border agent held Boy Scout at gunpoint in Alaska.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/07/ ... -gunpoint/

Maybe the FED's spotted his bomb making badge?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:18 am 

Germany is very strict ........http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCIQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.exberliner.com%2Ffeatures%2Fpeople%2Fsioux-indian-found-guilty-of-nazi-salute%2F&ei=Oz_WU_GULsyvyASX7oCYBQ&usg=AFQjCNGAz6IV8fY_eZjxIfOSJ_bzMiKd1Q&cad=rja

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:48 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

Poor guy sounds like he has a legitimate case.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:02 am 

I am not familiar with german law but it sounds like he broke the law to me. A little less freedom than here in the states. Here you can do the hitler salute and all kinds of offensive crap. It seems to me that this guy pissed someone off. Back in the states he would be a hero, not that i agree.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:54 am 

Right after we boycot Russia 2018, we can boycot Qatar 2022.
http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2014/jul/28/-sp-qatar-migrants-tower-football-world-cup

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:20 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
I am not familiar with german law but it sounds like he broke the law to me. A little less freedom than here in the states. Here you can do the hitler salute and all kinds of offensive crap. It seems to me that this guy pissed someone off. Back in the states he would be a hero, not that i agree.

You're right - he did break the law in Germany. On the one hand, you can argue with their background that such laws are more necessary in Germany than in the states - you haven't had someone gas 5 million Jews or reduce the population of the USSR by over 20 million in the US yet. On the other, if one believes the story, the guy was using the Hitler salute ironically and possibly justifiably.
In case you're interested, a German uncle of mine was once fined for singing the Nazi "Horst Wessel" song when drunk which is also forbidden. Mind you, he was a complete asshole and probably deserved it.

I suppose the US equivalent would be using the "N" word, which though not illegal, can cause problems in the US - or so I've heard.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:39 pm 

BBP wrote:

I will do! I already did boycott Brazil 2014.
:wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:44 pm 

Caputh wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

You're right - he did break the law in Germany. On the one hand, you can argue with their background that such laws are more necessary in Germany than in the states - you haven't had someone gas 5 million Jews or reduce the population of the USSR by over 20 million in the US yet. On the other, if one believes the story, the guy was using the Hitler salute ironically and possibly justifiably.
In case you're interested, a German uncle of mine was once fined for singing the Nazi "Horst Wessel" song when drunk which is also forbidden. Mind you, he was a complete asshole and probably deserved it.

I suppose the US equivalent would be using the "N" word, which though not illegal, can cause problems in the US - or so I've heard.

Not equivalent, freedom of speech, although not socially acceptable, unless you are into gangsta rap, but it won't get you arrested. as a side note the world can thank the usa for liberating the death camps, and in general turning the tide for the allies in ww2.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:46 pm 

Caputh wrote:

I know a girl who's last name is Wessel.
Enlighten me ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:04 pm 

pedro2 wrote:
Caputh wrote:

I know a girl who's last name is Wessel.
Enlighten me ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horst-Wessel-Lied

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:42 pm 

Caputh wrote:
In case you're interested, a German uncle of mine was once fined for singing the Nazi "Horst Wessel" song when drunk which is also forbidden.

I wonder what FZ would think of the censorship of this tune? Personally, I think some shit should be banned. Unless it propels it to no.1...
TT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:15 pm 

Man burglarizes El Pollo Loco, returns hours later to order lunch, police say

By Jeremiah Dobruck
July 17, 2014 | 7:26 p.m

A 28-year-old man was arrested this week after he returned to order food at an El Pollo Loco in Costa Mesa hours after he allegedly burglarized it, police said.

Daniel Lee Warn was recognized by El Pollo Loco workers, police say, because he apparently didn't think to change his clothes in between the burglary of the fast food restaurant in the 1900 block of Harbor Boulevard and his return later in the day.

The night before, a man used the drive-through window to enter the restaurant, where a security camera recorded him ransacking a register that was not stocked with cash, the Daily Pilot reported.

Costa Mesa police said the footage showed him wearing a green T-shirt and a hat emblazoned with a neon-pink face. When Warn stepped inside the restaurant at noon for lunch, police said, he was wearing the same outfit and was recognized by the manager.

El Pollo Loco was one of several businesses burglarized by Warn over a two-day period, according to police.

How did they know it was him?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:15 am 

deuce wrote:
Caputh wrote:
In case you're interested, a German uncle of mine was once fined for singing the Nazi "Horst Wessel" song when drunk which is also forbidden.

I wonder what FZ would think of the censorship of this tune? Personally, I think some shit should be banned. Unless it propels it to no.1...
TT

As a side point, the use of the swastika is also forbidden as well as holocaust denial (referred to as "defaming the memory of the dead").
What many Germans don't know is that singing "Deutschland, Deutschland ueber alles" is not forbidden (this was the German national anthem from 1871-1945. From 1933-1945 there were two national anthems, the Deutchland-Lied and the Horst Wessel Lied). Nor is owning or reading "Mein Kampf" forbidden; the German publishing rights are held by the government of the state of Bavaria and they have so far failed to allow a new edition.
What is also perhaps interesting is that the Western Allies actively encouraged the inclusion of the laws restricting Nazi symbols, ideas, etc. when the West German constitution was drawn up in 1949.
I agree with BRAVO that the Germans and, indeed, all of Europe should feel grateful to the US, but also to the Soviet Union, too who, with US economic aid, did most of the actual fighting between 1941 and 1944.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:33 am 

It took me over a decade to realize exactly why and how Nazi symbolism is banned. At the local flea market somebody had a lot of SS and nazi memorabilia (badges, rings, patches) he was selling, and once I saw a Dutch nazi propaganda mag. It's illegal here to sell those things. I did gawk at them out of interest but I can understand the sensitivity - the scale in which people were impacted is immense.

Aanyway, not much in the news here besides MH-11 and flooding after yesterday's bad weather... Oh and Greenpeace - the Dutch Greenpeace chairman had to go away because he commuted between Luxembourg and Amsterdam by plane.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:22 am 

The liberation of Berlin was do to soviet and us fighting, but the truth is the us was poised to enter berlin and a snafu occured between stalin and the us comanding general. The story is the us gave in to time and political pressure and the russians went in first. No doubt the russians lost huge numbers, but in the end their weather and hitlers incompetence caused the Nazi's that loss.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:45 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

this case is really very extreme, this poor indian is obviously the only person involved that is not an asshole. Especially if u compare it with the recent case of german artist Jonathan Meese:
He uses those symbols regulary in his performances and paintings. He was accused of that in a recent trial. He relied on the freedom of artistic expression and stated that all those Hitler salutes etc. were done as part of an art work and that he didn't do it as a private person. The verdict was not guilty. I have absoluteley no problem with the Meese case but i feel deeply ashamed about how they fucked the indian guy. It is also no problem to use this stuff in movies like the Indiana Jones movies by Steven Spielberg. But the recent release of the video game Wolfenstein (an egoshooter where u have to kill nazis) aint possible in its original version in germany. They had to clean up the game and remove all nazi-stuff out of it for the german version. the reason is very simple: movies are considered as artistic expressions, video games aint.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:31 pm 

UCLA's Pauley Pavilion, Drake Field flooded after massive water main break
Posted: Tue Jul. 29, 2014

Water from a broken main on Sunset Boulevard near UCLA’s campus Tuesday punctured street pavement, breached campus and flooded various athletic facilities causing untold damage.

The massive geyser has been shooting skyward for upward of 90 minutes and Los Angeles Department of Water and Power employees have not yet been able to shut off the water. Fire officials were inside Pauley Pavilion Tuesday afternoon and Andrew Erickson, editor of the campus newspaper The Daily Bruin, said several inches of water were visible inside the basketball arena. LADWP has not yet determined the cause of the break.

ABC7 reported Elvin Drake Stadium was the first major facility to take on significant amounts of water. Aerial views showed Tuesday afternoon what appeared to be several inches of dirty water on the stadium's track-and-field surface. Soon after, the water reached Pauley Pavilion, the school’s basketball arena. News crews captured several aerial shots of water cascading down Pauley's stairs.

Yahoo Sports Producer Kari Van Horn tweeted images purporting the stadium's locker room had flooded.

=====================

Note: Pauley Pavillion is where FZ recorded the album "Just Another Band From LA." And but also, FZ's grave is about half a mile from there...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:20 am 

Zappa Tribute Show Saturday at Tellus360: Out with Sara

Frank Zappa's decades of work on stage and in the recording studio, recognized officially in his posthumous induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and as recipient of the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award (1997), continues to influence musicians around the globe.

This Saturday, some of the area's best musicians will put forth their best Zappa imitations at Lancaster's Tellus360 for a show called "Conceptual Continuity -- A Tribute to the Genius of Frank Zappa."

The name comes from a compositional approach Zappa developed, which he called "conceptual continuity," meaning that every project or album was part of something bigger. From album to album, he connected and repurposed lyrics and musical themes.

The show is the brainchild of Ffej Herb, of Herbie and Heavy Push, who first wanted to create the tribute show to remember Zappa on his birthday last year, but couldn't get everyone together.

"I have a lot of friends who are into Zappa, and each of their respective bands have covered Frank Zappa songs in the past," Herb said. "Most music scholars know that his material is probably the most challenging to play -- at least in the pantheon of rock music. I wanted to put together a show featuring some of who I feel are the best musicians in the area who also have a similar affection for his music."

The roster includes Husky Pants & The Rail, which features Aaron Daniel Gaul along with members of the former band, Spotus; UZO, formerly Uncle Otter; The Heavy Push, which boasts the talents of 19 year-old guitarist Joey Dougherty, who is off to attend Berklee School of Music this fall.

Several special guests also are planning, including Andy Mowatt of Andy Mowatt Trio, Steely Jam and herbie; and Corty Byron of The Green Onions.

Herb said each core band will perform a set of Zappa tunes, followed by an all-star jam set featuring members of each band. The set lists contain songs most Zappa fans would expect, as well as deep album cuts and improvisation.

Advance tickets are available online for just $10 online or $12 at the door the night of the show. Doors open at 8:30 p.m.; music begins around 9:15 p.m. The first 125 people will receive a special Frank Zappa trinket.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:54 am 

New Primus album out in October! It will be called Primus & The Chocolate Factory with the Fungi ensemble.
Listen to one of the tracks on soundcloud here:
https://soundcloud.com/ato_records/primus-pure-imagination/s-WqCij

In worse Primus news, Tim Alexander has had a heart attack. He is doing well, but Primus will cancel three shows.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:12 am 

Breaking News? Enough to make my head explode.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:44 am 

An exchange of suspect DNA between Netherlands and Belgium has led to 576 DNA-matches in cases where the suspect appears to come from another country.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:28 pm 

I'm not a massive fan of Russell Brand, but I think he's quite funny and on the money here on Hannity and the Israel/Gaza conflict.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_m98GAd ... e=youtu.be

Rest of the story here...
http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2014 ... -gaza-spat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:01 am 

School of Rock in Easton student part of German performance
18-year-old from Milford, N.J., took the stage at Frank Zappa festival
By Jennifer Sheehan, Of The Morning Call
8:39 p.m. EDT, August 1, 2014

For 18-year-old Matt Migliorino, it was a chance of a lifetime. The Milford, N.J., resident, a student at the School of Rock in Easton, joined 17 other young East Coast musicians July 14 at the 25th annual Zappanale, a music festival held in Bad Doberan, Germany, in celebration of legendary rock star Frank Zappa. "The festival was really great," says Matt, who plays guitar. "The crowd was a comfortable size, not to big or too small. It was very friendly and the stage was great."
Zappanale is an annual festival that celebrates Zappa's contribution to music and social change. This year's festival drew about 3,000.
Zappa was more than a rock guitarist; he also was an orchestral composer, innovative filmmaker and music producer. He produced 60 albums of music ranging from rock to orchestral.
Migliorino confesses he wasn't much of an expert on Zappa. "My dad was a big fan so I had some background," Matt says. "I was never completely submerged in all of his music and culture."
The School of Rock is a music education company with schools in Easton and Allentown. It teaches guitar, bass, vocals, keyboards, drums and combines weekly private music lessons and group band rehearsals to prepare students to perform on stage. Students also get a chance to perform as a band. Eric Svalgard, music director at the School of Rock in Wilmington, Del., emailed the East Coast schools, looking for students who could audition for the School of Rock's Z-Team, which would head to Germany. "I looked for precision in playing and stage presence," Svalgard says. Ray Theirren, co-owner of the Easton and Allentown schools, suggested Matt. "His is one of our real success stories. He took advantage of everything that the School of Rock has to offer. He has been a member of our house band, the Bank Street Band, since 2009 and been a great part of our program." From a group of about 30 students, Svalgard chose 18. Those students had to travel to Wilmington for regular rehearsals, starting in January. They spent months rehearsing some of Zappa's most difficult arrangements. Before their performance at Zappanale, the students traveled to Berlin for a warm-up gig at the Sküle of Rock and Pop in Rostock, Germany, followed by a performance at the center square kick-off party in Bad Doberan. The students also were given the opportunity to be part of the festival's final jam, which included legendary rockers Adrian Belew (of King Crimson), Pat Mastelotto (of Mr. Mister and King Crimson) and Don Preston (who collaborated with Zappa and was the keyboardist of the original Mothers of Invention.) "That was more than unbelievable," Migliorino says. "I can't describe how awesome that was."

jsheehan@mcall.com
twitter @jenwsheehan
610-820-6628
Copyright © 2014, The Morning Call

Read more: http://www.mcall.com/entertainment/musi ... z39DuIGwUQ
Follow us: @mcall on Twitter | mcall.lv on Facebook

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:22 am 

N.J. Supreme Court: Lyrics off limits at trials
http://www.northjersey.com/news/n-j-sup ... -1.1061964

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:46 pm 

Wasn't acid, but they were brown...

'Party drugs' may have killed 2 at music festival

“Party drugs” sold and ingested at the Veld electronic music festival may have caused two deaths and sent 13 others to hospital over the weekend, Toronto Police said.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/08/04/si ... sview-park

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 367, 368, 369, 370, 371, 372, 373 ... 379  Next