Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:06 pm 

Hi all. I'm a fairly new Zappa Fan. (I'm also a mere 21 years of age)Basically I came to the message board to get some advise from some fellow fans. I started with the Commercial Album, and I recently graduated to the Apostrophe (') and Overnight Sensation album. I'm blown away. I have a feeling that Zappa is going to ruin alot of music for me. Oh how I try to listen to other stuff, but I find that's it's a bit too predictable for me now. Zappa blows my mind every time I listen to it, and every time I put on that album, I find something else. After listening to Apostrophe/Overnight I'm readsy (readsy?) to go on to another one. Where should I go? What's next for me? I like something with alot of good 'ol Frankie's unique guitar style and I like something with a driving bass groove. I'd also like something that has that weird sense of timing that I can't seem to follow... Oh, I'm going to get off the computer now and listen to that album, but in the meantime... Guide me, Freaks!
~Love Shawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:09 pm 

Joe's Garage.

Others need not reply to this thread, as I have just given the best answer. Not in my opinion, just the best answer.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:21 pm 

I just remembered, I heard the song "Variations On The Carlos Santana Secret Chord" on Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar Some More... I'm pretty sure that's the one. Anyway, that's the sort of bizaar rythym changes and everything I'm thinking of. Damn. At the time it was driving me crazy. It was almost uncomfortable to listen to. I want more of that.
Joe's Garage, huh? Isn't that one of the more popular albums? I mean, if you go to a James Brown board, people end up arguing over which is the best album. Does everyone here agree that Joe's Garage is THE album?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:29 pm 

NotSoGrandWazoo wrote:
I just remembered, I heard the song "Variations On The Carlos Santana Secret Chord" on Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar Some More... I'm pretty sure that's the one. Anyway, that's the sort of bizaar rythym changes and everything I'm thinking of. Damn. At the time it was driving me crazy. It was almost uncomfortable to listen to. I want more of that.
Joe's Garage, huh? Isn't that one of the more popular albums? I mean, if you go to a James Brown board, people end up arguing over which is the best album. Does everyone here agree that Joe's Garage is THE album?

Wet T-Shirt Nite. Driving bass with a rhythm hard to follow. No, not everyone will agree that's THE album, but I think it will fit what you want. It's excellent.

Post subject: Thanks to you, friend
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:48 pm 

I'm going to have to go out and purchase that album now. A jolly "Thank you very much" to you, sir.
Side note: I was looking at the chronilocal album list and it goes Freak Out! then Absolutely Free, right? But today at the book store I kind of flipped the FZ's autobiograghy and he mentioned an album between the two. Was it never released or am I just a drooling moron? If you hear slurping noises, it's me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:50 pm 

Calvin has his own advice column here. I'd do what he says. Others would agree that Joe's a missing link.
have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:54 am 

Olá!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:43 am 

Cal is spot on, Joes Garage is an excellent album. One of my faves, still. Go buy it, wazoo, go buy!!!

By the way, welcome to our lair... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:08 am 

I know what you mean by zappa making other music seem decidedly average..... and yes it's true, I was in a similar situation to you.

my advice.... you can't go wrong with any of his 60s 70s or 80s albums.... just buy any when you can. 8) strap yourself in, you're in for a great ride.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:19 am 

I oughta get Joe's Garage as well when I have the chance. I listened to 30-second samples of it on Amazon and I particularly enjoyed Catholic Girls, Why Does It Hurt When I Pee? (<<great title), and A Token Of My Extreme. I really enjoy the bass playing as well. Dong Work For Yuda & Keep It Greasy sound great with the "slap-bass" I think it's called. I read that Arthur Barrow plays bass on this album, he's very good! :D

And Hola to NotSoGrandWazoo! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:53 pm 

I agree with Joe's Garage, but after that I'd suggest Hot Rats and Waak/Jawaka. Great stuff right there that you can't go wrong with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:27 am 

Hi,
I remember when I heard "Zoot allures" I was deeply impressed, but most I like the live materials, because Frank plays every evening a new solo version, and even the interpretation of the songs themselfes change from performance to performance. So, for me it is a new experience ever to hear the same songs played in different shows. Years ago when I was a school kid I worked for several weaks as a "bandworker" (I don´t know if this word exists...) anyway for about six weaks I heard only one live tape again and again. Each time I heard it there was another detail I had not heard before...realy great music, never boring...
Actually I like the livesolos from "the torture never stops" and "zomby woof" from "You can´t do this on stage anymore".
This is my first time in the forum - I would like to learn more about Franks way to play his guitar, are there other guitarrists out there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:39 am 

Hola Tommy...welcome...have fun.
I don't play guitar, sorry, drums all the way for me, but there are many forumers here who do! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:53 pm 

Hola que tal!?
Where are those guitarrists? Playing drums is a strange thing to do, for me and my brain it´s enough to try to do different things with my hands. I saw Vinnie at a klinik show (for TAMA or PEARL - I don´t know?) in Frankfurt - unbelievable :shock: Drummers must be different...