Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Did FZ get religion?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:54 pm 

Some evangelical Christians are saying that FZ "accepted Christ" on his death bed. I find that extremely hard to believe. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:15 pm 

I find that very hard to believe. What evangelical Christians are saying that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:18 pm 

evangelical christians would say that though wouldn't they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:08 pm 

yeah, you're absolutely right, aspy. of course they would. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Did FZ get religion?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:53 pm 

sugarplum wrote:
Some evangelical Christians are saying that FZ "accepted Christ" on his death bed. I find that extremely hard to believe. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Absolutely true.

Although he didn't accept Christ exactly, he accepted the fact that olives are deciduous.

Which still may or may not be true.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:09 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
I find that very hard to believe. What evangelical Christians are saying that?

A certain Mr. John Price of Lutz, Florida, who claims that his Uncle Ray used to play guitar with FZ.
I think it is despicable propaganda but I need to make sure I've got my facts right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:52 am 
Banned

I sure hope it's not true, after burning 1 hour and 38 non-refundable hellish minutes of my life watching 200 motels, I'm praying that FZ is burning in hell as we speak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:41 pm 

I think I heard, at the time, that he had agreed to certain rites for the family. He was Catholic the whole time, remember. No matter what he said in public, he didn't believe in divorce, and in many ways was very much a lapsed C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:04 pm 

CasuallyYours wrote:
I think I heard, at the time, that he had agreed to certain rites for the family. He was Catholic the whole time, remember. No matter what he said in public, he didn't believe in divorce, and in many ways was very much a lapsed C.
For a lapsed Catholic he was a truly faithful atheist.

--Bat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:13 pm 

Well said, BC. It's very possible to be both. You can be a functional atheist and a cultural lapsed Catholic. What he did at the end, he may have done for his family's culture. But what the hell. In all practicality, facing death, what good Catholic boy wouldn't want to cover his ass? Mr Zappa changed his mind about his philosophies all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:49 am 

CasuallyYours wrote:
Well said, BC. It's very possible to be both. You can be a functional atheist and a cultural lapsed Catholic. What he did at the end, he may have done for his family's culture. But what the hell. In all practicality, facing death, what good Catholic boy wouldn't want to cover his ass? Mr Zappa changed his mind about his philosophies all the time.

What a crock of shit.
If any of you had any fucking experience of Cancer and the final stages of life you'd know that people fall into a deep sleep and the body shuts down. It's only in movies they remain conscious until the very end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:47 pm 

moon had said something like her father had died fifty-two years too early and one week too long. i'm guessing since what he really died of was the renal failure caused by the cancer (please someone correct me on this, kind of fuzzy on the facts), the body most likely did shut down, and in a not so fun to watch manner. he was, however, lucid enough for people to gather around him one last time before he died surrounded only by gail and the kids. if you can check out the broadcast somewhere on this site narrated by beverly d'angelo, there is a recounting of those last couple of days. he was in and out of consciousness during it. still quite sad, and of course i'm very glad i was'nt there. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:45 am 

forthncons wrote:
I sure hope it's not true, after burning 1 hour and 38 non-refundable hellish minutes of my life watching 200 motels, I'm praying that FZ is burning in hell as we speak.

What???...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:02 pm 

gnits_wreck wrote:
forthncons wrote:

What???...
"fortncons" was another phony name used by a "hack member" who has now long been banned from the forum.

--Batchain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:08 am 

I no more believe in catholicism than I believe in the Easter Bunny but when I croak if my family wants to have a funeral in a church I'd be fine with me. It's not like they are going to listen to me anyway. I have no idea what Frank and his family decided and I doubt the guy who said Frank suddenly got religion and converted does either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:39 am 

Frank was ahead of his time, even in religious terms
He postulated the 'Big Note' theory in the 60's

It's only now that scientists and theologans alike are finding the
correlations between frequency, sacred geometry and creation

everything comes from one note....
namely 4 billion 80 million gigahertz

and fractional divisions thereof...heh

:D

"Wanna buy some pencils?...."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:26 pm 

Did Frank Zappa ever say he was an atheist? His music doesn't bash religion it is usually against people exploiting religion, people acting on religion in an illogical manner, but never a direct offense towards God or anyother god. The reason all these nuts say his music is evil is because he is insulting them, not what they believe.

I could be wrong but I am Catholic so fuck me, I am only hoping, anyone know for sure?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:59 am 

Skeetles wrote:
Did Frank Zappa ever say he was an atheist? His music doesn't bash religion it is usually against people exploiting religion, people acting on religion in an illogical manner, but never a direct offense towards God or anyother god. The reason all these nuts say his music is evil is because he is insulting them, not what they believe.

I could be wrong but I am Catholic so fuck me, I am only hoping, anyone know for sure?
He was a typical atheist who had no aversion to ordinarily religious people (e.g., FZ band vocalist/guitarist, Ray White) but he intensely resented those who wanted to thrust their beliefs on others, especially when it was done coercively by governmental legal imposition -- enter the nuts who felt deeply insulted by Zappa and demanded legal enforcement of their beliefs. (And they've gotten and are continuing to get their way in no small way!)

--Batchain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:15 am 

Ringo wrote:
CasuallyYours wrote:

What a crock of shit.
If any of you had any fucking experience of Cancer and the final stages of life you'd know that people fall into a deep sleep and the body shuts down. It's only in movies they remain conscious until the very end.
I have no idea how I could have missed this one, Ringo, but where in all bloody fucking hell did you come up with this "final stages of cancer" scenario??? I've never seen anything remotely like it and I guarantee you it is not from any lack of experience seeing cancer deaths.

--Batchain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:09 am 

[quote="Batchain1001]
He was a typical atheist who had no aversion to ordinarily religious people (e.g., FZ band vocalist/guitarist, Ray White) but he intensely resented those who wanted to thrust their beliefs on others, especially when it was done coercively by governmental legal imposition -- enter the nuts who felt deeply insulted by Zappa and demanded legal enforcement of their beliefs. (And they've gotten and are continuing to get their way in no small way!)

--Batchain[/quote]

But he never said he was an atheist? I hate all those things and I still believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:23 am 

Skeetles wrote:
...I still believe.

believe in what?
are you the kind of persons who think that everybody start believing and then one day stop? that it's human nature to have a religion?
zappa never preach about religion and his relation
with whatever he believed or not was in a personal level
he never supported any religious institution
the important thing is about his work and his position about society and religion in his works
what his did in a personal level was his problem
anything else is just stupid cheap ophra kind of comments
problem too is that around here there's lot of people that think that
loving franks music is knowing what kind of soap his used in his bath
like if he was maddona or any pop star, nothing to do with music or
philosofy or a position in relation to consumist society
if zappa believed in whatever he wanted doesn't change his music
and his political and social positions in his work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:57 pm 

Well, you seem to be very opinionated and very wrong. It would help anyone understand his music better if they knew if he believed in a god. I am not talking about an institutionalized religion but just in something. I wouldn't really care but people keep saying he was an atheist and they have no proof other than he is open minded, and thinking that all religious people aren't is just as bad as thinking all black people are criminals.

The music itself is what first got me, all other bands have a boring repetition of instruments to some mushy lyrics and Frank Zappa was the first person to make me laugh at notes (Peaches In Regalia). I just wanted to know to put into perspective what he was saying in things like "The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing" and "Dumb All Over".

googly moogly you are a very fatuous person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:21 pm 
Banned

Lots of good stuff in this thread.

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:29 pm 

Skeetles wrote:
Well, you seem to be very opinionated and very wrong. It would help anyone understand his music better if they knew if he believed in a god. I am not talking about an institutionalized religion but just in something. I wouldn't really care but people keep saying he was an atheist and they have no proof other than he is open minded, and thinking that all religious people aren't is just as bad as thinking all black people are criminals.

The music itself is what first got me, all other bands have a boring repetition of instruments to some mushy lyrics and Frank Zappa was the first person to make me laugh at notes (Peaches In Regalia). I just wanted to know to put into perspective what he was saying in things like "The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing" and "Dumb All Over".

googly moogly you are a very fatuous person.

I don't think Zappa had anything against religion, and certainly didn't go against religious people but just zealots. (as mentioned before) Saying that it's easier/better to understand his music by knowing he believed in a god is ridiculous. His music is highly irreverent, and does not mention god except in passing and as a reference to something else.

..The only time I've thought of god when listening to Zappa's music was "God, how can something this beautiful exist..?"

Obviously there are atheists on the world, and depending on your beliefs your god made them and technically whatever they made. Enjoy it.

"It's the 20th century, folks. Do whatever you need to have a good time, as long as it doesn't cause a murder."-Frank Zappa

(I paraphrased that quote.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:26 pm 

Well I guess there isn't an answer, who cares. Atleast now I know that when anyone claims they know he was an atheist they are an idiot talking out of their ass.

FeralCats it would clear up what his view on things were, the music is fine, it's the 21st century now and the sad thing is that everything Zappa made fun of in his music is slowly becoming reality :p.