Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:01 am 

Ego schmego . . . I don't give a crap about preserving my unique identity . . . I just don't ever wanna give up music, or sex, or great food, or watching the waves at the ocean, or laughing til my sides hurt, or petting my cat with my foot, etc, etc. I don't wanna live forever cuz I think I'm important, I just enjoy life and don't want it to end. That's all. I ain't askin' much. :)

Post subject: Re: jim
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:21 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Fraudian ego.....that's where a person feels him or herself to be nothing but a big phoney, right??? :)

nope.

i mean an inflated sense of self-worth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:05 am 

Raoul Duke wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
Fraudian ego.....that's where a person feels him or herself to be nothing but a big phoney, right??? :)

nope.

Ah! Something like a Freudian ego.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:03 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Raoul Duke wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

nope.

Ah! Something like a Freudian ego.

yep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:55 am 

forthncons wrote:
I sure hope it's not true, after burning 1 hour and 38 non-refundable hellish minutes of my life watching 200 motels, I'm praying that FZ is burning in hell as we speak.
:mrgreen: Yeah, I didn't really like that movie much either. But burning in hell? Come now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:00 am 

No idea if he accepted religion at the end or not, but something tells me that it is highly, highly, highly, unlikely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:14 am 

Ok so let's get one thing straight, I know that for myself at least, death is a simple concept, your organs cease to function and you collapse or whatever. I think that trying to contemplate what happens after death is impossible, you can't know until you are dead and you can't say because you are dead. Of course, there is the huge possibility that because you are dead you will not even know, and that nothing happens, but nonetheless; it is impossible to imagine, unless you go for all this 'white light' crap.

Stream my music here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:29 am 

Crudblud wrote:
Ok so let's get one thing straight, I know that for myself at least, death is a simple concept, your organs cease to function and you collapse or whatever. I think that trying to contemplate what happens after death is impossible, you can't know until you are dead and you can't say because you are dead. Of course, there is the huge possibility that because you are dead you will not even know, and that nothing happens, but nonetheless; it is impossible to imagine, unless you go for all this 'white light' crap.
"Simple death" is entirely self-evident to me. Where was I in 1945? 1902? 1654? 300 AD? 6000 B.C.? I wasn't and I won't be. Of course having been here I've changed things. Did people meet because of me and have kids because I did something? Or maybe they didn't. Or maybe that car sometime, somewhere didn't go careening into someone else somewhere and kill them because I opened the car door and that slowed them down a little because they didn't want to hit it.
I suppose that's the immortality we all get. The speculations on how, by how much how often and where did we all change something are so far beyond any speculation that it's inconceivable.

But no, no "ghosts", "souls", "spirits", "essences" or any of that crap.

Besides, imagine there were an existence after this one. I don't know about anyone else but I'll one fucking mean, enraged, pissed off son of a bitch if it ain't a whole hell of a lot better than this one!!!

--Batchain :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:57 am 

Religion is just some crazy man's get rich quick scheme, worked quite well.
And I don't think Zappa would just all of sudden accept any religion in his last moments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:37 pm 

ZappaFan90 wrote:
Religion is just some crazy man's get rich quick scheme, worked quite well.
And I don't think Zappa would just all of sudden accept any religion in his last moments.

Frank was true to himself and certainly not a hypocrite, I agree with you.

Stream my music here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:08 pm 

Religion can be a very tricky discussion topic. With Bible-Thumpers (and sometimes just people who are deeply religious; not obsessed) you can never have a normal conversation...the topic of "God" always comes up no matter what the conversation is about. If you say something they don't like, they just act very jerky to you from then on.
When I was in 7th grade I went to a junior high school where I was the only one out of almost all of my classes who did not attend church. People would ask each other if they went to church, and I would always respond, "I don't go to church because my parents taught me that if someone wanted to worship God, they should be able to do it any way they please and anywhere they please, not just in church." Even that set them off. And these were kids! I remember that I once said that I wasn't really sure if I was a believer, and one girl said to me, "Well, if you don't believe in God, then you must be a Devil worshipper." :x
At the high school, the Mormon population is big enough that they will actually try to convert you. :P :P :P

Personally, I believe that Frank was simply an agnostic, which is my "religion" also. I think it's possible that we could go somewhere when we die, but sometimes I think otherwise.

Last edited by Petit Wazette on Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:10 pm 

Petit Wazette wrote:
Personally, I believe that Frank was an agnostic, which is my "religion" also.

Actually, he put "musician" on the paperwork he had to fill out when Gail went to the hospital to have Dweezil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:15 pm 

suterb wrote:
Petit Wazette wrote:
Personally, I believe that Frank was an agnostic, which is my "religion" also.

Actually, he put "musician" on the paperwork he had to fill out when Gail went to the hospital to have Dweezil.

Well, yeah. That too. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:11 am 

I don't get religious people when they classify atheism and agnosticism as religions. I'm not saying that to you Wazette but you did actually make me remember what someone said to me once about atheism being a religion, which it quite clearly isn't.

Stream my music here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:29 am 

Understood. But you're right, Cruddy, agnosticism and atheism are not religions. That was why I put it in quotation marks like that, know what I mean? :) Where I live there are very many extremely religious people, and it's impossible to go anywhere without running into a least few of of them. But we also have a large community of people that are not religious, though, which is a good thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:31 am 

Yeah that's what I was saying, I wasn't criticising you but more saying that your reminded me of something someone said to me one time, anyway, yes indeed.

Stream my music here.

Post subject: jim
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:37 pm 

Less and less people are going to church here in sweden according to a newspaper a month ago..............

+ i dont know anyone who believes in a god or a life after this....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:34 pm 

Overheard this OnlY last we/-\k or so: in about 30 years 5bill peoples turned from beliefs + keeping still about matters related to "normal livin" to nowadys doing ev'rything and are ashamed of religion.

Other turn, have you noticed that Zappa is holding nothing on that foto, but is comp. outburned on this other one? !!!!

where's our weed, getting hu-whigh, not stoned!!!, toe-shito-shito, the lawnmower with unaccounted planet-plane ... only-good-nyoos ...

- http://myspace.com/frankzappa SirIus

humor us with a nod, e.g.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:23 pm 

Mondstar wrote:
Overheard this OnlY last we/-\k or so: in about 30 years 5bill peoples turned from beliefs + keeping still about matters related to "normal livin" to nowadys doing ev'rything and are ashamed of religion.

Other turn, have you noticed that Zappa is holding nothing on that foto, but is comp. outburned on this other one? !!!!

where's our weed, getting hu-whigh, not stoned!!!, toe-shito-shito, the lawnmower with unaccounted planet-plane ... only-good-nyoos ...

- http://myspace.com/frankzappa SirIus

humor us with a nod, e.g.

I'm crying here. You've summed up my feelings perfectly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:37 pm 

ow-so-solly, me too, no feelings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:40 pm 

Meanwhile, on Planet Earth....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:57 pm 

... a small couple of really noize peeps hoping of hopping off with the ajlyens invadin... evading soulsystem.
people doing ..... they think divil you dunce |||im accusing myself of having a nose, me rotten wrong-wraith|||

go-go- no sweat ... plus some seeds. That about sums it oop we went.

Last edited by Mondstar on Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:31 pm 

on my way to work this morning, I ended up behind a van for a while.
it had one of the most stupid bumper stickers I've ever seen.

it read:
god doesn't believe in atheists.

and, I couldn't help it, I blurted out aloud, even though I was alone in the car; well... d'uh!

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:36 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
on my way to work this morning, I ended up behind a van for a while.
it had one of the most stupid bumper stickers I've ever seen.

it read:
god doesn't believe in atheists.

and, I couldn't help it, I blurted out aloud, even though I was alone in the car; well... d'uh!

:roll:

Yeah that is pretty much dumb all over, and religion's a little ugly on the side too!

Stream my music here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:00 am 

"every day more and more people are turning away from church and turning to god"
-lenny bruce

(i may have got some wording slightly wrong but i have a shite memory)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next