Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:53 pm 

Hi! This is my first posting, so bear with me as I am very new at this. I have a bunch of neat FZ pics on my computer, but I have absolutely no idea how to convert them from PDF to JPG so I can use one for my avatar. Any help here would be great!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:00 am 

Greetings and Welcome to the Forum!

I'm not sure how to do that myself but perhaps uploading them to a sight like Photobucket might help.

Here's a link -

http://photobucket.com/

If that does'nt work Im sure someone here will be happy to help you out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:53 pm 

Petit Wazette wrote:
Hi! This is my first posting, so bear with me as I am very new at this. I have a bunch of neat FZ pics on my computer, but I have absolutely no idea how to convert them from PDF to JPG so I can use one for my avatar. Any help here would be great!!!

pdf's, huh? well, if you have acrobat reader on your computer, you can re-save the pdf's as jpeg's. but, you know, the avatar can only be of a certain size, around 70x70 pixels.

if you have any kind of image editing software, like photoshop, you can open the pdf's there as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:20 pm 

If you wash em in hot water and put them on high heat in the dryer, that'll shrink em up good n'at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:36 pm 

feetlightup wrote:
If you wash em in hot water and put them on high heat in the dryer, that'll shrink em up good n'at.

that might just work as well. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:08 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I don't have the time to try them out right this minute, but I promise I will.

Oh, yeah...a little bit about myself. My mother first introduced me to the music of FZ a few months after I turned 12. She bought a tape of "Strictly Commercial" and played it for me in the car when we were driving around town. I liked a little bit of it (the stuff you could dance to...typical pre-teen) but my head was somewhere else at the time. After that, I would listen to it now and then, but I didn't consider myself a fan.
Then, about two or three years later (in 2005), I just got tired of the music that the kids like to listen to now. I listened to rap and some punk rock because everyone else did. I was raised around music, and it's part of everyday life for my family. But by then I couldn't stand where it was going. It all sounded terrible.
But then, late one night, I saw FZ on Saturday Night Live...one of the old reruns that they used to show but no longer do. The one from 1976. I had never seen Frank perform live before, so this was a big deal. Well, from then on I was addicted!! I had to have more.
Pretty soon I gave up on a lot of the music of today. It just doesn't make me feel good, like Frank's music (and classic rock) does. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:44 pm 

your so right in so many ways petit wazette!
do you know the song "Tell Me You Love Me"?
All the different versions of that song popped into my head at once when I read this thread!
crazy, I know, but it was fun!
cya around

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:53 am 

Sounds a lot like my path too, Petit Wazette, albeit about 20 years earlier (when I effectively gave up on 80s music). Just remember - there's still plenty of good new music being made everyday if you care to look for it, so don't close your ears to new stuff entirely. It's just a little harder to find. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:24 pm 

punknayowned: yes, I do know that song! I've collected almost 35 of Frank's albums, and I know a lot of his songs! More than other people think I do. You try to talk about FZ and all the other kids are like, "What? Who is this?" A lot of the kids now wouldn't know really good music if it bit 'em. Jeez, a lot of the kids now don't even seem to know who the president is.

feetlightup: you're right. I'm sure that there are some talented young musicians out there making halfway decent music. The thing is, it all just...sounds the same. I'm not sure if this is just the way I was raised. I never felt like I could relate to any of the music of today. The musicians whose music I really relate to are FZ, the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Sugarcane Harris (my parents used to know a guy who was friends with him, supposedly), Jean-Luc Ponty, the Brecker Brothers, Miles Davis, Blondie, Blue Oyster Cult, Cream, Ronnie Laws, Shuggy Otis, Dr. John, Weather Report, Alice Cooper, and Eddie Harris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:49 am 

dunno why that song popped into my head. but all the versions at once! weird. But I'm a child of classic rock too! But with that background, sought out the blues and then after years, jazz.
music IS the best!
cheers