Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Zappa songs on radio
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:49 pm 

Today, I tuned into a radio program hosted by Alice Cooper. I was just in time to hear "Dancin' Fool". Thanks, Alice, wherever you are. For you interested radio listeners, the station is at 105.3 FM in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada. I think the program originates in Arizona. Months ago, I heard the Mothers of Invention song "Hungry Freaks, Daddy" on the same program and it got me hooked. Good luck in finding these masterpieces (not that you'll need it). :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:28 am 

Welcom the the forum Abdulla, how's it going? That radio show is a good find. Did you know that Frank got Alice his first big break in the music business?

Stream my music here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:18 pm 

I'm doing fine, thanks. No, I didn't know Alice got Frank's help in that. But Frank did have a good ear for talent. I heard another Zappa song tonight -- "Peaches En Regalia" -- the last minute or so, after switching from CD player to radio in my vehicle. Maybe the Mothers and Captain Beefheart will get some airplay. Remember though (at least in this forum) Zappa rules!!
I'm already a fanatic. :mrgreen:

Post subject: jim
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:40 am 

What ive read is that the Alice Cooper group were apparently big fans of zappa and when alice heard that zappa was gonna start a record label ( straight, or bizzare (?) ) alice kept nagging frank to sign them (think it was at a nightclub) and then he told him to come and audition at his house the next day at seven. The only problem was that alice cooper thought he meant seven in the morning so they were let in by one of the g.t.os and started playing when frank woke up by the "music" and walked down to the basement (apparently naked) and said that a band who could make that kind of noise at 07:00 in the morning should be on his label..
Then he mentioen at the michael douglas show that they could headline a few shows with them and see their potential...and theres also the "infamous" lenny bruce gig but thats another story....... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:45 am 

Frank's label was Bizarre, I believe Straight existed before Bizarre. What I know about Straight is that Trout Mask Replica and Lick My Decals Off Baby by Captain Beefheart were both originally on the label. I have the Lick My Decals vinyl on Straight from 1970, excellent album.

Stream my music here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:35 am 

Cooper's first album. "Pretties For You", is pretty damn weird. Not always in a good way-- it sounds like they went for some Zappa/Beefheart type experimentation, but they just didn't have the skill for it. Oh well..it did give us some good songs. I really like their hard rock sound of the 70's more.

Post subject: jim
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:36 pm 

I think its nice to listen to the first four albums from the beginning and see the development they did for each album ( pretties for you, Easy Action,Love it to death , killer )...but i think frank zappa sued them later but dont know what for ? anyone...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:20 pm 

Hello, Crudblud. I'm interested in acquiring the Captain Beefheart album "Lick My Decals Off Baby" but it's so hard to find, and the available (and not necessarily genuine) releases sell on eBay for anywhere from $50 Canadian to about $190 Canadian. Could you recommend some internet resources or companies where it might be found that have a good reputation for doing business?

P.s. did you know that Beefheart had -- and maybe still has -- a four-and-one-half octave vocal range? He sang so well on his albums, and his art might be quite fascinating, in painting, sculpture, and poetry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:30 pm 

I hate to break it to you, but I struck lucky when I happened to walk into a charity shop in town, there it was, in almost mint condition. If you're looking for it on CD then your best bet is Play.com. They sell pretty much every album you can think of, and they have an almost perfect track record. However, if you want it on vinyl then good luck to you, as I said I was very lucky to find it, but I don't think you'll be able to get a vinyl copy online.

Yes I did know about Beefheart's amazing vocal range. Unfortunately I believe he has Multiple Sclerosis, but details on whether he is dead or not are very limited since he's such a recluse. Well, good luck on finding Lick My Decals, you should find it straight away on Play.com, have a nice day! :D

Stream my music here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:29 pm 

Funny you should mention Alice Cooper. I went to his site last week to hear the Gail interview ( never did hear it ) and had to sign up. Today in the mail I recieved a CD of OZZY OSBORNE Black Rain with a note that I had been selected to get this CD and two FREE tickets to OZZFEST !!!
Showed it to my son who replied " Dad , ALL the tickets to OZZFEST are free :(

Ok , well DO THEY GIVE THE CD TO EVERYBODY ? HUH ? :lol:

Anyway , thought that was cool for being selected for a ' special limited edition ' cd. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:46 pm 

Tickets to Ozzfest huh? Sounds good, but who (besides the ubiquitous Ozzy) is playing?

Stream my music here.

Post subject: jimmy
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:22 pm 

yeah..saw a copy of the us version in a shop here in växjö (sweden) woho! now i only have to pay 700$ bucks to go to america :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:55 pm 

Crudblud wrote:
Tickets to Ozzfest huh? Sounds good, but who (besides the ubiquitous Ozzy) is playing?

Ozzy Osbourne, Lamb of God, Static X, Lordi, Hatebreed, Behemoth, Nick Oliveri and the Mondo Generator, Nile, Ankla, Circus Diablo, The Showdown, 3 Inches of Blood, Chthonic, Daath, In This Moment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:38 pm 

Well if that's your idea of a good time, then it's all good. 8)

Stream my music here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:30 pm 

I've heard Flakes and Cozmic Debris on the radio. That's all. And a muzak version of Stolen Moments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:48 pm 

Crudblud wrote:
Well if that's your idea of a good time, then it's all good. 8)

LOL Crud ... actually I have never heard of these bands other that Ozzy. I was hoping to take my son , who knows better than me about them. He says there's only 3 bands worth seeing. I trust his judgement. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:05 am 

Haha, well, as far as I know of those bands you listed, some of them are Death Metal, which I'm guessing you may not like, but hey you might aswell abuse the free tickets eh?

Stream my music here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:07 pm 

If you do like death metal... Nile and Behemoth are two of the best bands in the genre. And Lamb of God are a great metal band.

For metal heads, that is a nice line up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:31 am 

The only thing I like that remotely involves death metal is Devin Townsend, he occasionally uses the guttural roaring vocals, oh and Mike Patton.

Stream my music here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:35 am 

Nack Blapkin wrote:
If you do like death metal... Nile and Behemoth are two of the best bands in the genre. And Lamb of God are a great metal band.

For metal heads, that is a nice line up.

That's the one he wants to see

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:46 am 

i dont think i've ever heard a zappa song on uk radio.

actually.... i heard some on stuart maconie's digital bbc radio 6 music show Freak Zone i think..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:48 am 

mondo generator are good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:51 am 

I once heard the single edit version of "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow" on a classic rock station. And, of course, "Valley Girl" was all over top 40 radio in the early 80s, but I guess that's almost too obvious to mention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:47 am 

I have heard Cosmik Debris, Peaches En Regalia and the radio edit of Don't Eat the Yellow Snow. I have also heard a Zappa documentary called 'Air Sculpture' (a nice two hour long show with Mark Radcliffe) that played several full songs including Yellow Snow in it's entirety as well as G-Spot Tornado and if I recall correctly, clips of CP III were also included.

Stream my music here.

Last edited by Crudblud on Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:48 am 

Crudblud wrote:
I have heard Cosmik Debris, Peaches En Regalia and the radio edit of Don't Eat the Yellow Snow.
same here and that radio edit pisses me off every time!!

show's about
To begin...

www.hyperfunkalicious.net