Post subject: jim
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:08 pm 

Butsi ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:24 pm 

Any non-special guest violin player?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:13 pm 

On a show (can't remember which cd, but its an offical release) frank introduces a band member as butsis and then another as butsis's girlfriend. No Idea who he was reffering to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:39 am 

Grimpoteuthis wrote:
On a show (can't remember which cd, but its an offical release) frank introduces a band member as butsis and then another as butsis's girlfriend. No Idea who he was reffering to.

Hammersmith Odeon, London, UK, February 18th, 1979 (in Peaches III at the end of Tinsel Town Rebellion).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:48 am 

Wasn't Butsis a roadie? Maybe his girlfriend was one too.

Post subject: the mysterious butsis
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:43 pm 

in YCDTOSA vol 1's don't eat the yellow snow, frank mentions butsis and later on in the same song he tries to get him on the stage to recite a poem but nobody knows where he is. i always thought he was a roadie but he might have been some extended member of the band who did not receive any official introduction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:19 am 

it would appear that butzis = al malkin:

http://www.united-mutations.com/m/al_malkin.htm

warren c: al's a friend - he's also known as meatball. we used to miss school together, listen to frank and smoke pot. frank offered to tape his life story. he was like the wild man fischer of the 80s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:20 am 

I know a few had problems with him and vice versa but I've read that Frank actually said he hated Jean Luc Ponty after he left the band. Ponty is the only one I've ever read Frank get THAT pointed about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:31 am 

Dances wrote:
I know a few had problems with him and vice versa but I've read that Frank actually said he hated Jean Luc Ponty after he left the band. Ponty is the only one I've ever read Frank get THAT pointed about.

Maybe that's yet another reason why Frank commented on "frenchness" in songs and interviews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:35 am 

swiftkicknow wrote:
Dances wrote:

Maybe that's yet another reason why Frank commented on "frenchness" in songs and interviews.

I seem to remember a bit (TRFZB?) where he makes fun of musicians who "wank" during their solos, ending on a climactic repeated high note, in the hopes of getting some nooky backstage. Something tells me he was referring to Ponty in that little pointed remark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:58 am 

I bet Ponty tried to bone Gail (maybe he succeeded?) and that's why Frank hates him. I can dig that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:40 pm 

in terms of wanking, he thought the same of zavods solos. I don't thin kfrank would get mad over gail porking conisdering he openly talks about his groupie adventures. a little bit of a double standard n'est pas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:09 pm 

Even well-known wanker Stevie Vai kept his wanking in check while playing with Frank. I thought he played very tastefully as a sideman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:26 pm 

brainpang wrote:
I bet Ponty tried to bone Gail (maybe he succeeded?) and that's why Frank hates him. I can dig that.

i think gail was busy enough

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:49 pm 

feetlightup wrote:
swiftkicknow wrote:
Dances wrote:

I seem to remember a bit (TRFZB?) where he makes fun of musicians who "wank" during their solos, ending on a climactic repeated high note, in the hopes of getting some nooky backstage. Something tells me he was referring to Ponty in that little pointed remark.

Actually, he was referring to Alan Zavod. Hence the "nice volcano" on YCDTOSA Vol. 3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:50 pm 

feetlightup wrote:

He said something similar about Ike.

"Spoo!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:53 pm 

suterb wrote:
feetlightup wrote:

He said something similar about Ike.

"Spoo!"

Ah right. Ike never really got to solo during shows, so he'd throw in little random licks between songs which used to piss Frank off. Perhaps that's it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:55 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
feetlightup wrote:
swiftkicknow wrote:
Dances wrote:

Actually, he was referring to Alan Zavod. Hence the "nice volcano" on YCDTOSA Vol. 3.

Yes, and he's quite animated on the DHBIM film too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:57 pm 

ray collins didn't like zappa too much either, I think. don't know if it was a mutual feeling, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:31 pm 

"I forget your name even tho you've been in the group for a while." I wonder who that was?

vcf

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:34 pm 

VCF wrote:
"I forget your name even tho you've been in the group for a while." I wonder who that was?

vcf

don't you think he meant a roadie?

Quote:
FZ: Let's hear it for another great Italian, Conlon Nancarrow, ladies and gentlemen. Let's hear it for another great Italian, ladies and gentlemen, Warren Cuccurullo - work out, Warren. Let's hear it for another great Italian, Al DiMeola, ladies and gentlemen. Let's hear it for another great Italian, Alvin Lee, ladies and gentlemen... Vinnie, Butzis, Vinnie's girlfriend, Butzis' girlfriend, Patty, Denny, uh, Marty... forget your name, even though you've been in the crew for a while... David, Ike...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:37 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
ray collins didn't like zappa too much either, I think. don't know if it was a mutual feeling, though.

Sometime in the early 80s when FZ was occasionally working with Roy Estrada again (by using him on some of the vocals stuff), an interviewer asked him about Ray Collins and Zappa said something like Collins' voice was in too bad of a shape to use him. That's what I've gathered anyway. Strangely enough, he worked with Napoleon in 1984 and he clearly wasn't in his best vocal form at the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:46 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
VCF wrote:

vcf

don't you think he meant a roadie?

Quote:
FZ: Let's hear it for another great Italian, Conlon Nancarrow, ladies and gentlemen. Let's hear it for another great Italian, ladies and gentlemen, Warren Cuccurullo - work out, Warren. Let's hear it for another great Italian, Al DiMeola, ladies and gentlemen. Let's hear it for another great Italian, Alvin Lee, ladies and gentlemen... Vinnie, Butzis, Vinnie's girlfriend, Butzis' girlfriend, Patty, Denny, uh, Marty... forget your name, even though you've been in the crew for a while... David, Ike...

"Crew" (I thought he was saying "group") . . . D'Oh! Yep, prolly a roadie.

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF