Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:27 pm 

hey everyone-

i just wanted to share my general affinity/obsession with this particular version of this particular song....

that '77 7 piece band was amaaaaazing....

can anyone point me in the direction of other stuff from that band/era? it seems to be kind of under-represented in the zappa catalog, unless i'm not looking in the right spots......

man, i'd love to hear an entire live show of that band......in the liner notes of this album it's mentioned that the nuremburg shows this version are from have a "special flavor"......interesting......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:31 pm 

if you are reffering to the band with terry, patrick, tommy, peter, ed, adrian, and of course frank then they are not that underrepresnted. Baby Snakes (the film and the soundtrack are from this band, as well as Sheik Yerbouti. I mean its not that much but its not that much less than any of his other lineups. I'm sure we can all agree that we need more early MOI more flo and eddie (non talking representation), more wazoo's, more ponty 73, more roxy, more helsenki, more bongo fury, more 75 (with norma jean bell!!!) more 76 (with bIANCA!!!) more 76 new york lineup, more 77, MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE 78 vinnie and patty and artie, more 79 with cuccarullo, more 80 (logeman and vinnie), more 81, much more 82, maybe there is enough 84, and the rest of the songs from 88 that were performed but didn't make it in the 3 live releases. No lineup is really saturated unfortunaty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:43 am 

yeah but baby snakes was recorded in 1979 wasn't it? and sheik yerbouti around the same time?

they had to be playing a little differently in '77 than they were in '79....

i'd like to hear more stuff from that '77 lineup, even though it's the same band as the '79 lineup.....

and while baby snakes is an outstanding dvd in it's own right, i'd rather have a full concert on dvd without Bruce Bickford's animation interrupting the music......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:46 am 

and i would definitely say the '84 and '88 lineups are pretty well saturated......i don't need to hear much more from those lineups i don't think.......not that i don't like them, it's just those years/lineups seem to get the most exposure.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:29 am 

chestersgorilla wrote:
yeah but baby snakes was recorded in 1979 wasn't it? and sheik yerbouti around the same time?

the concert footage for baby snakes was filmed on Halloween 1977.

Sheik Yerbouti is from live material from 1977/78, along with lots of overdubs in 1978 (with Terry Bozzio not Vinnie) too.

Quote:
i'd like to hear more stuff from that '77 lineup, even though it's the same band as the '79 lineup.....

it isn't the same though..

1977: fz, wolf, mars, mann, o hearn, belew, bozzio
1979: fz, wolf, mars, mann, walley, willis, barrow, cuccurullo, colaiuta

so quite a lot of difference.

Quote:
and while baby snakes is an outstanding dvd in it's own right, i'd rather have a full concert on dvd without Bruce Bickford's animation interrupting the music......

let's hope for an 1982 tour compilation.. 2 dvd.. Image

Last edited by timm0 on Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:33 am 

ah ok cool ty for setting me straight!

makes sense that 'sheik yerbouti' is in my top 3 favorites then!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:38 am 

yeah that '77 lineup and the lineup on ycdtoa #2...

man.....those two lineups are INSANE! my two favorites hands down....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:33 am 

chestersgorilla wrote:
yeah that '77 lineup and the lineup on ycdtoa #2...

man.....those two lineups are INSANE! my two favorites hands down....

The '77 band was the first FZ concert I saw and blew away all of the concerts that I had seen before then (Zep, Who, etc.). It was about a month before the "Baby Snakes" filming. They were a great band...not my very most favorite FZ group but they certainly changed my attitude regarding what a great rock group should be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:36 am 

that was your first FZ show? that's awesome! where'd you see 'em?

out of curiosity what's your favorite FZ lineup?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:20 am 

chestersgorilla wrote:
that was your first FZ show? that's awesome! where'd you see 'em?

out of curiosity what's your favorite FZ lineup?

Hi, Chester:

The fateful day for me was Sunday, October 2nd, 1977 at Washington University in St. Louis, MO and it was purely a fluke.
I had for many years been fascinated by all of the MOI album covers I had seen at the record stores that I frequented. However, I had been only slightly familiar with FZs music. My brother had the Zapped sampler that WB sold, via mail order, for a buck and of course there was the sporadic playing of Yellow Snow on the radio
Well that Sunday morning a friend and I were driving down the street when we happened to see my brothers girlfriend pass by. She stopped to say hi and asked if we were going to the Zappa show that night. I said no and we went on about our business. Later in the day my buddy suggested that we attend the show since we had nothing better to do. I was not really that interested in going but I went along anyway.
I think the tickets were $5 or $6 (I have to check my stub).
Jay Ferguson was supposed to open the show but, fortunately, for some unknown reason he did not. I had seen him with Jo Jo Gunne about 4 times so I had my fill.
Well you have heard all of the superlatives and in this case they applied because FZ and co. really delivered!
This was the same band as on the Baby Snakes movie. Tapes exist of this show and I much prefer this concert to the material that wound up on the film. Everyone played a solo and to this day I would have to say that OHearns solo on City of Tiny Lights is probably the best bass solo that I have ever heard by anyone.
Needless to say I was hooked and began my record collection that week. Fortunately, my good friend Larry graciously lent me a lot of his FZ/MOI albums until I could afford to acquire them myself.

This was an important night for FZ as well because it was at this show that he first met Ike Willis. Ike was living in St. Louis at the time and, as they say, the rest is history.

I do not really have a favourite FZ band. I really like them all...