Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Free Bird
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:08 pm 

I am kinda new to the Zappa-verse.
I have heard what I think may be an Urban myth regarding Frank Zappa's live shows.
IS it true that every time some one would yeell out FREE BIRD the band would stop and play the song?
And
If that is true is it also true that they once palyed it over ten times in one show?
Thanks, jtb

Post subject: Re: Free Bird
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:20 pm 
Banned

glassic wrote:
I am kinda new to the Zappa-verse.
I have heard what I think may be an Urban myth regarding Frank Zappa's live shows.
IS it true that every time some one would yeell out FREE BIRD the band would stop and play the song?
And
If that is true is it also true that they once palyed it over ten times in one show?
Thanks, jtb

That's funny because it seems that at some point during almost every Project/Object show someone in the crowd yells, "FREE BIRD!" It never gets old. To my knowledge, FZ never performed Free Bird at a show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:06 pm 

someone did yell whipping post and frank eventually had his song play it in later shows. but not ten times a show and not everytime someone yelled it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:30 am 

Guy In The Audience: "Whipping Post"!
FZ: Say that again please
Guy In The Audience: "Whipping Post"!
FZ: "Whipping Post"? Ok, just a second . . . (Do you know that?) Oh sorry, we don't know that one. Anything else? Hum me a few bars of it, please, just show me how it goes, please. Just sing, sing me "Whipping Post" and then maybe we'll play it with you
Guy In The Audience: Ooh-ooh-ooh . . .
FZ: Thank you very much. And now . . . Judging from the way you sang it, it must be a John Cage composition, right? Here we go, "Montana." One two, one two three four

I might be movin' to . . .

FZ: Hold it! Hold it! We can't possibly start the song off like that!
Good God! That's inexcusable! What happened to you last night?
Napoleon: George has a tape of it
FZ: George has a tape of it? Ok, we'll use that in the second show
Ready? "Montana" . . . Wait a minute, "Whipping Post," no, "Montana." One two, one two three four

Stream my music here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:54 am 

i do think Zappa wanted to play Free Bird here he is trying to figger how the sola goes :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:42 am 

The band Phish actually did start including "Free Bird" in their set for a while in the mid 90s, as an encore. But they did it as an a capella number, barbershop quartet style. Even the guitar solo. I remember seeing it for the first time, I just about peed my pants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:48 pm 
Banned

feetlightup wrote:
The band Phish actually did start including "Free Bird" in their set for a while in the mid 90s, as an encore. But they did it as an a capella number, barbershop quartet style. Even the guitar solo. I remember seeing it for the first time, I just about peed my pants.

Yeah I was in the 5th row in Albany during the fall tour of 98'. They played it as a part of a 3-song encore. What an ingenious idea! Definitely an FZ influence to their choice to perform it the way they did. Humor does belong in music,indeed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:41 pm 

at least they have something in common with fz. too bad it's not talent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:46 pm 

J.C.GreasyVII wrote:
feetlightup wrote:

Yeah I was in the 5th row in Albany during the fall tour of 98'. They played it as a part of a 3-song encore. What an ingenious idea! Definitely an FZ influence to their choice to perform it the way they did. Humor does belong in music,indeed!
I was there myself, great show, hillarious cover. The encore was Something (the beatles, last time played) , Guyute, Freebird

show's about
To begin...

www.hyperfunkalicious.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:45 pm 

feetlightup wrote:

Phish also did a great job on PEACHES as well ....oh wait.... that's one of those COVER bands that Trendy keeps warning us about....guess I gotta go burn that CD or I'll end up in TiToNe Hell forever :P :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:01 pm 
Banned

pedro1 wrote:
feetlightup wrote:

Phish also did a great job on PEACHES as well ....oh wait.... that's one of those COVER bands that Trendy keeps warning us about....guess I gotta go burn that CD or I'll end up in TiToNe Hell forever :P :lol:

Of course if it's his secret,gay crush Warren, then it's all right. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:39 am 

Grimpoteuthis wrote:

No, certainly not talent on the FZ level. But they had balls, for a few years anyway. Which at least qualified them for an "in the ballpark" rating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:46 am 

pedro1 wrote:
feetlightup wrote:

Yeah, either burn that CD or burn with it!

Stream my music here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:38 pm 
Banned

feetlightup wrote:
Grimpoteuthis wrote:

No, certainly not talent on the FZ level. But they had balls, for a few years anyway. Which at least qualified them for an "in the ballpark" rating.

Well said Feets. They definitely deserve at least an "INTHEBALLPARK" rating.
Phish only covered one FZ song. They're original material had alot of FZ influnece though. I know Trendy would appreciate that way more. I'm still a firm believer that any member of Phish could have passed an FZ audition. As a quartet, in a live setting, they were greater than the sum their parts.
Which makes me wonder:Who does Grimpo listen to, other than FZ, which leads him to believe Phish has no talent? Phish has always been similar to FZ in that you might not like them, but have to respect them. They were great musicians/iconoclasts. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:33 pm 

Fishman and Page (or is it paige) could have passed an audition. I had a friend who has spent the last several years trying to get me to admit Gordon has talent... but he deosn't. He plays some mean funk... sometimes but........ not so great. Not bad but not anything to wrtie home about.

Trey.... lets start by saying I love the grateful dead but unfortunatly Jerry really opened wide the floodgates of endless noodling. Grateful dead took it places but most of these jam bands go nowhere, or everywhere (if your on acid)

Trey is trying to play like Jerry with Frank's meaness and it doesn't work (for me)

Usually people who hate Phish never really listened to them, I WISH THIS WAS THE CASE. In my highschool you were either a hippy or a jock. Well I fit in more with the hippies so I hung out with them even though we shared few ideologies. (that and I enjoy joints) ANd I had to put up with this in everyones car, parties, homes, anytime a bowl was passed. I have heard plenty of phish and very little of it has really grabbed me. And their shitty peaches left a VERY bad taste in my mouth.

As for what I listen to besides FZ..,. NOTHING... no im kidding. King Crimson with Adrian and any of adrian's other projects. And patrick o'hearns solo album. Those 3 musicians are way to much to handle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:06 pm 
Banned

Grimpoteuthis wrote:
Fishman and Page (or is it paige) could have passed an audition. I had a friend who has spent the last several years trying to get me to admit Gordon has talent... but he deosn't. He plays some mean funk... sometimes but........ not so great. Not bad but not anything to wrtie home about.

Trey.... lets start by saying I love the grateful dead but unfortunatly Jerry really opened wide the floodgates of endless noodling. Grateful dead took it places but most of these jam bands go nowhere, or everywhere (if your on acid)

Trey is trying to play like Jerry with Frank's meaness and it doesn't work (for me)

Usually people who hate Phish never really listened to them, I WISH THIS WAS THE CASE. In my highschool you were either a hippy or a jock. Well I fit in more with the hippies so I hung out with them even though we shared few ideologies. (that and I enjoy joints) ANd I had to put up with this in everyones car, parties, homes, anytime a bowl was passed. I have heard plenty of phish and very little of it has really grabbed me. And their shitty peaches left a VERY bad taste in my mouth.

As for what I listen to besides FZ..,. NOTHING... no im kidding. King Crimson with Adrian and any of adrian's other projects. And patrick o'hearns solo album. Those 3 musicians are way to much to handle.

Well, thank you for your insight and frankness, Grimpo. Good analogy about Trey's playing BTW. It's Page, too. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:27 pm 
Banned

Even though I've been a vegetarian for the past 9 years, I still like Phish. 8)

Project/Object featuring Ike Willis & Napoleon Murphy Brock
with special guest Jon Fishman, drums
13 February 2002 (160 minutes)
Higher Ground
Winooski, Vermont
soundboard

SET ONE
five-five-FIVE
Andy
Inca Roads
Carolina Hard-Core Ecstasy
Any Kind Of Pain
Uncle Meat
Filthy Habits
Pygmy Twylyte
Dummy Up
The Idiot Bastard Son
The Evil Prince
Evelyn, A Modified Dog
Any Way The Wind Blows
Cosmik Debris

SET TWO
Advance Romance
Sy Borg
Montana
Cheepnis (with Jon Fishman)
Son Of Orange County (with Jon Fishman)
More Trouble Every Day (with Jon Fishman)
Village Of The Sun
Echidna's Arf (Of You)
Magic Fingers
Camarillo Brillo
Muffin Man
The Black Page #2
Apostrophe'
Pick Me, I'm Clean
San Ber'dino
Florentine Pogen (encore)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:24 am 
Banned

jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
Even though I've been a vegetarian for the past 9 years, I still like Phish. 8)

Project/Object featuring Ike Willis & Napoleon Murphy Brock
with special guest Jon Fishman, drums
13 February 2002 (160 minutes)
Higher Ground
Winooski, Vermont
soundboard

SET ONE
five-five-FIVE
Andy
Inca Roads
Carolina Hard-Core Ecstasy
Any Kind Of Pain
Uncle Meat
Filthy Habits
Pygmy Twylyte
Dummy Up
The Idiot Bastard Son
The Evil Prince
Evelyn, A Modified Dog
Any Way The Wind Blows
Cosmik Debris

SET TWO
Advance Romance
Sy Borg
Montana
Cheepnis (with Jon Fishman)
Son Of Orange County (with Jon Fishman)
More Trouble Every Day (with Jon Fishman)
Village Of The Sun
Echidna's Arf (Of You)
Magic Fingers
Camarillo Brillo
Muffin Man
The Black Page #2
Apostrophe'
Pick Me, I'm Clean
San Ber'dino
Florentine Pogen (encore)

Great pics Jimmie!! The boys in P/O hanging with Jon Fishman. Is that Fishman holding some vegetables?! That's hilarious. Any funny/interesting stories surrounding that night Jimmie D? How dis Fish sound on the Frank tunes he sat in on?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:35 am 
Banned

J.C.GreasyVII wrote:
Great pics Jimmie!! The boys in P/O hanging with Jon Fishman. Is that Fishman holding some vegetables?! That's hilarious. Any funny/interesting stories surrounding that night Jimmie D? How dis Fish sound on the Frank tunes he sat in on?

Yep, that's Jon, and some vegetables have responded to him. I'll need to re-listen to the show to recall what happened that evening.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:02 pm 

Bill Hicks:

[crowdmember yells out "Freebird"]

Please quit yelling that. It's not funny, it's not clever; it's stupid, it's repetitive. Why the fuck would you continue to yell that? I'm serious.

[crowdmember yells out "Kevin Matthews"]

Okay, Kevin Matthews. What does that mean now? Now what does it mean? I understand where it comes from, so do you. Now what does it all mean? What is the culmination of yelling that?

[crowdmember yells out "Jimmy Shorts"]

Jimmy Shorts. He's not here. He's not gonna be here, now what? Now where are we? We're here with you interrupting me again, you fucking idiot! That's... you see where we're at? We're here at the same point again, where you, the fucking peon masses, can once again ruin anyone who tries to do anything because you don't know how to do it on your own! That's where we're fucking at! Once again, the useless wastes of fucking flesh that has ruined everything good in this goddamn world! That's where we're at! Hitler had the right idea, he was just an underachiever! Kill 'em all, Adolf, all of 'em! Jew, Mexican, American, white, kill 'em all! Start over, the experiment didn't work! Rain forty days, please fucking rain to wash these turds off my fucking life! Wash these human wastes of flesh and bone off this planet! I pray to you God, to kill these fucking people!

[crowdmember yells out "Freebird" again]

Freebird. And in the beginning there was the word "Freebird" and "Freebird" would be yelled throughout the centuries. "Freebird", the mantra of the moron! "Freebird", "Freebird", "Freebird", "Freebird". If we keep yelling this, one day we'll be funny. Keep doing it. "Freebird", "Freebird", "Freebird", "Freebird". We will sit at the feet of Kevin Matthews. "Freebird", "Freebird", "Freebird".

"Free–" I'm feeling enlightened! "Freebird". Oh, how holy. "Well, I don't think this is going to be a "get-laid" set for me, so, well, Bill, good guess. But I'm not leaving, fuckers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:58 am 

Raoul Duke wrote:
Bill Hicks:

[crowdmember yells out "Freebird"]

Please quit yelling that. It's not funny, it's not clever; it's stupid, it's repetitive. Why the fuck would you continue to yell that? I'm serious.

[crowdmember yells out "Kevin Matthews"]

Okay, Kevin Matthews. What does that mean now? Now what does it mean? I understand where it comes from, so do you. Now what does it all mean? What is the culmination of yelling that?

[crowdmember yells out "Jimmy Shorts"]

Jimmy Shorts. He's not here. He's not gonna be here, now what? Now where are we? We're here with you interrupting me again, you fucking idiot! That's... you see where we're at? We're here at the same point again, where you, the fucking peon masses, can once again ruin anyone who tries to do anything because you don't know how to do it on your own! That's where we're fucking at! Once again, the useless wastes of fucking flesh that has ruined everything good in this goddamn world! That's where we're at! Hitler had the right idea, he was just an underachiever! Kill 'em all, Adolf, all of 'em! Jew, Mexican, American, white, kill 'em all! Start over, the experiment didn't work! Rain forty days, please fucking rain to wash these turds off my fucking life! Wash these human wastes of flesh and bone off this planet! I pray to you God, to kill these fucking people!

[crowdmember yells out "Freebird" again]

Freebird. And in the beginning there was the word "Freebird" and "Freebird" would be yelled throughout the centuries. "Freebird", the mantra of the moron! "Freebird", "Freebird", "Freebird", "Freebird". If we keep yelling this, one day we'll be funny. Keep doing it. "Freebird", "Freebird", "Freebird", "Freebird". We will sit at the feet of Kevin Matthews. "Freebird", "Freebird", "Freebird".

"Free–" I'm feeling enlightened! "Freebird". Oh, how holy. "Well, I don't think this is going to be a "get-laid" set for me, so, well, Bill, good guess. But I'm not leaving, fuckers.

Gotta love Bill Hicks. Is that from some release I don't have, or some audience tape? I thought I had all the albums, but I don't recognize that excerpt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:02 am 

The Hicks/Freebird improv is floating around on the traders circuit.
Not on any official release that I am aware of.

This Freebird thing is so old it stopped being funny over 20 years ago. At this point it's like an old Henny Youngman one-liner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:05 am 

brainpang wrote:
The Hicks/Freebird improv is floating around on the traders circuit.
Not on any official release that I am aware of.

This Freebird thing is so old it stopped being funny over 20 years ago. At this point it's like an old Henny Youngman one-liner.

Unfortunately, the joke's relevance lives on by way of the "self-conscious irony" brand of humor. Ha bloody ha.

One-liner? More like a 0.2 liner.

Thanks for the Hicks info - I haven't done any tape trading of his stuff. But I look forward to more archival releases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:12 am 

freebird hicks blowup is on youtube.

there were two huge hicks blowups in that one chicago show. both quite funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:15 am 
Banned

I love fuckin' Hicks! Wonder if he was a Zappa fan? Everytime I turn a newbie onto Hicks through his dvd I consistently blow people away. Most people can't believe a guy so talented went relatively unnoticed. :roll: :cry: