Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mayan calendar
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:40 pm 

I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if I am covering old ground. I have been aware for some time that the Mayan Indians had a long term (and extremely accurate) calendar that just happens to end on December 21, 2012 (lots of URL about this). This is supposed to mean the end of the world / the end of an age of the world / the beginning of a thousand years of peace - take your pick. Since this will be Frank's 72nd birthday, I hope it is the latter. I am not freaky enough to think this means anything - I just find it interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:48 am 

Oh well, at least London gets the Olympics before the Universe implodes!

Stream my music here.

Post subject: Re: Mayan calendar
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:14 am 

Kodi47 wrote:
I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if I am covering old ground. I have been aware for some time that the Mayan Indians had a long term (and extremely accurate) calendar that just happens to end on December 21, 2012 (lots of URL about this). This is supposed to mean the end of the world / the end of an age of the world / the beginning of a thousand years of peace - take your pick. Since this will be Frank's 72nd birthday, I hope it is the latter. I am not freaky enough to think this means anything - I just find it interesting.

You're right, it doesn't mean anything.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:28 am 

Kodi47 wrote:

Ahoy there in OZ, what do you mean by 'Accurate' what has it predicted.

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:09 am 

diplomaticpermissiondeepi wrote:
Kodi47 wrote:

Nothing. But some people with a metaphysical bent wants to drown themselves in mights, possibles and whatifs. This particular mayan delusion is just another armageddon set up for that year. The mayan acopalypse folks could very well be disappointed because several other mystics have claimed their armageddon for every year up to 2012.

Armageddons have been "predicted" by people with unshakeable certainty every year since at least 1000 CE.

"Some say hydrogen is the most plentiful element in the universe..." FZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:18 am 

Armageddon? Nah.
It's probably just the date the Roxy DVD will be released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:19 am 
Banned

........hhhmmmm.......by 2012, President & Supreme Leader For Life George W. Bush (having cancelled all elections for life and imposing Marshall Law upon his subjects) will be ready to blow up the entire world.....

Post subject: BUSH
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:26 am 

How could the Americans get something big so wrong, twice. Especially # 2

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

Post subject: Re: BUSH
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:29 am 

How could the Americans get something big so wrong, twice. Especially # 2

I got my #2 right just this morning, thank you very much. 8)

Sorry, can't resist a pun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:33 am 

jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
........hhhmmmm.......by 2012, President & Supreme Leader For Life George W. Bush (having cancelled all elections for life and imposing Marshall Law upon his subjects) will be ready to blow up the entire world.....

Hopefully the headlines will by 2012 be "Judge Denies Bush Bail" or something like that....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:39 am 

As someone have said before, that is too much good for him. I'd rather read "Governor denies Bush Merci - Execution will go on"

On topic:
http://www.zappa.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12158

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:28 am 

Don't blame the ancient Mayans for bogus predictions. The Mayan calendar is accurate as just that...a calendar that allowed for the year not being exactly 365 full days, not to predict future events. It had to stop somewhere, and it's other imaginative folks who put a mystical reason to the stop date. {I wasn't aware of the armaggedon thing, though. I was sure it was when the aliens would return to see how we be doin'}

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:37 am 

Alls I wants to know is: Does it predict when I should take my little pills, go to work, pay my rent and when the next birthday in the office is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:51 pm 

sabrinaIII wrote:
Alls I wants to know is: Does it predict when I should take my little pills, go to work, pay my rent and when the next birthday in the office is?

Nope. Sorry, Sabbs, you need a..........wait for it..........."TRENDMONGER" for that! I know where you can get one, real cheap! I'm sure the current people reaping it's benefits wouldn't mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:07 pm 

. . . . .scary... seriously, I mean it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:11 pm 

You really think he'll wait until 2012? We've got enough nukes now to do it. That's scary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:28 am 

December 21st is the date of the Winter Solstice. I think that's what the Maya had in mind...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:19 pm 

Greetings from OZ.

What it has predicted is accurate tracking of the seasons.

We use the Gregorian calendar which not only needs to be adjusted by 1 day every four years (excluding century years unless divisible by 400 - or something like that), but it still ends up out by several days every thousand years or so. In other words, we are already out of whack with the seasons.

I'll add another question of interest here. What is it with FZ and creatures that begin with the letter 'P', i.e. poodles, peccaries, penguins, pigs and ponies (including a small, tiny horse)? I guess it is all part of his conceptual continuity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:52 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
December 21st is the date of the Winter Solstice. I think that's what the Maya had in mind...

Thanks for the voice of reason. Most replies picked up on the armageddon theme and ignored my comment about the possibility of 1000 years of peace commencing.

Of course, while it is the winter solstice there, it is the summer solstice here. No chance of a white Christmas in this neck of the woods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:29 pm 

Kodi47 wrote:
Most replies picked up on the armageddon theme and ignored my comment about the possibility of 1000 years of peace commencing.

Mayan 2012 prediction is specifically for an end of the age - where all that we know will pass and a new beginning will ensue (perhaps 1000 years of peace...though not with us around...and their ages tend to be at least 5,000 years and perhaps closer to 10,000)...it also seems to coincide with a (currently) predicted very near pass of a giant asteroid (from deep space). I'm not much (not at all) for religious prophecy - but the Mayans clearly had some pretty advanced (at least calenderical and astronomical) concepts...so who really knows eh? We certainly don't understand everything (not even close) and there is no doubt that much ancient knowledge (Egyptian, Sumerian and perhaps Mayan) seemingly has been lost...