Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:32 pm 

Regarding the recent ZPZ show at the Wiltern... the band was tight and the music was great... BUT the entire DADA-ist flavor is missing, the carnivality, the mockery of stupidity, no audience interaction, none of Frank’s keen eye for the absurd as day-to-day life… no dance contest, etc.
The master himself is missing... it isn't just the music we like... it was Frank's PRESENCE that put it all over the top.

ZPZ's future performances may need to resort to a giraffe filled with whipped cream…

So, it really isn’t the MUSIC that should be passed on alone, but the keen awareness of human stupidity that Frank was so adept at. Ray White took his check and went home.

Furnabulaxative

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:34 pm 

News flash..................

Frank Zappa is sadly no longer with us, stupid.

Now go get your fucking shinebox!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:47 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:

Like I said, Frank is missing... but Gail will gladly shine your brown shoes for 20 million bucks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:24 pm 
Banned

swamizappa wrote:
Regarding the recent ZPZ show at the Wiltern... the band was tight and the music was great... BUT the entire DADA-ist flavor is missing, the carnivality, the mockery of stupidity, no audience interaction, none of Frank’s keen eye for the absurd as day-to-day life… no dance contest, etc.
The master himself is missing... it isn't just the music we like... it was Frank's PRESENCE that put it all over the top.

ZPZ's future performances may need to resort to a giraffe filled with whipped cream…

So, it really isn’t the MUSIC that should be passed on alone, but the keen awareness of human stupidity that Frank was so adept at. Ray White took his check and went home.

Furnabulaxative

You are not alone in this assessment of the Frank Zappa Tribute Band known as Zappa Plays Zappa.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:43 pm 

Quote:
You are not alone in this assessment of the Frank Zappa Tribute Band known as Zappa Plays Zappa.

Thanks for your obvious "clarity"...

I saw the first round of shows in 2006 with Vai and Brock... that was fun and flashy... Brock created the fun, Vai the flash. No flash last Thursday night... and a smattering of fun just because we were all there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:10 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:

Poor guy can't even spell "Colaiuta"... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:20 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:

swamizappa wrote:
Poor guy can't even spell "Colaiuta"... :P

that's not jayp's spelling, stupid. we had a member here a while ago who called himself 'colauita68'...
but he was banned for being a complaining asshole. he just wouldn't shut the fuck up...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:33 pm 

Quote:
that's not jayp's spelling, stupid. we had a member here a while ago who called himself 'colauita68'... but he was banned for being a complaining asshole. he just wouldn't shut the fuck up...

That explains it. Thanks. I've known Vinnie for 35 years... "Catholic boy..."

Anyway, no use in beating a horse, living or dead... ZPZ is great... but lacks that bizarro approach. More whipped cream... more improv on comedy is what would make it more FUNBAGGISH!

"If we're dumb, then God is dumb... and a little ugly on th side."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:25 am 

swamizappa wrote:
Quote:
that's not jayp's spelling, stupid. we had a member here a while ago who called himself 'colauita68'... but he was banned for being a complaining asshole. he just wouldn't shut the fuck up...

Anyway, no use in beating a horse, living or dead... ZPZ is great... but lacks that bizarro approach. More whipped cream... more improv on comedy is what would make it more FUNBAGGISH!

swami, I can't see it, I just can't see it. There was only one FZ and, similarly, whether it's "The Marx Brothers" or "Rodney Dangerfield" or "Johnny Carson" or "__________"(fill in the blank), no continuation of FZ's on stage presence is possible with anyone. Underpants or giraffes or enema bags it's always going to be the weak part of the show.

--Batchain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:52 am 

Batchain1001 wrote:
swamizappa wrote:
Quote:

swami, I can't see it, I just can't see it. There was only one FZ and, similarly, whether it's "The Marx Brothers" or "Rodney Dangerfield" or "Johnny Carson" or "__________"(fill in the blank), no continuation of FZ's on stage presence is possible with anyone. Underpants or giraffes or enema bags it's always going to be the weak part of the show.

--Batchain

I dunno Bat, there's some pretty good Elvis impersonators out there. :mrgreen:

They never won't

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:34 am 
Banned

jaypfunk wrote:

Batchain1001 wrote:

Oh my.....Could this mean that Zappa Plays Zappa is a SUBSTITUTE?

Post subject: zpz do you know
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:29 am 

Hey FZ was one of a kind. Theatrics for many of us is a small part of the experience. I saw FZ with many line ups, I liked the wazoo band the best but Flo& Eddie were great to, ZPZ, Is ZPZ, looks like the MUSIC is their focus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:47 am 

less we forget, those of us who got the chance to see frank in the 70's or 80's he had been performing 15 to 25 years, alot of time to work on his perfection. and as we saw with zpz, this year better than last. dz will get to the point of perfection with his work ethic and bloodline it may come sooner than 15 to 25 years :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:54 pm 

Conceptual Continuity wrote:
less we forget, those of us who got the chance to see frank in the 70's or 80's he had been performing 15 to 25 years, alot of time to work on his perfection. and as we saw with zpz, this year better than last. dz will get to the point of perfection with his work ethic and bloodline it may come sooner than 15 to 25 years :lol: :lol:
I hope you don't really believe that shit, Conceptual Continuity.

("work ethic"? "bloodline"? What the fuck???) :roll:

--Bat

Post subject: Whoa Nellie!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:29 am 

I think what I wanted to say when I started this topic is that ZPZ is really good, but it can never come close to a "Frank Zappa" performance. All of the ZPZ musicians are over-the-top great... but by merely reproducing and performing Frank's work lacks the spontaneous fun that Frank and his cohorts would create in real-time. There are nearly 10 million people in Los Angeles County and that night at the Wiltern was not sold out. There were a lot of empty chairs. And Dweezil is no Frank when it comes to guitar solos, as good as Dweezil is in his own way, Frank's style was really "out there"... less notes but more QUIRKY PIZAZZ all around. Oh, well... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:26 pm 

Quote:

too bad there were two dance contests and two audience participation events at the Norfolk show. If you honestly expected this to be JUST LIKE a Frank Zappa show, you are truly one of the dumbest people i have ever heard of.

Post subject: jim
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:24 pm 

As a new fan of zappa i just want to hear(and see) his music being performed as excellent as possible ...im not expecting dwezzil to be exactly like his father on stage ( that would definitely be quite pathetic) i think hes right now just trying to spread his dads music around with some publicity...and it is fun to know that the person who performs the song really knew the composer quite well :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:34 pm 

Joe Mama wrote:
If you honestly expected this to be JUST LIKE a Frank Zappa show, you are truly one of the dumbest people i have ever heard of.

Dear Mr. Mama,

No, I never said that I expected it to be JUST LIKE a Frank Zappa show... it JUST ISN'T... that's all. It's a Dweezil show, playing his dad's music. What's so hard to understand about that, junior? Maybe you'll return to Managua... you could go unnoticed in such a place. Are you livin' in Maryland?

I've been to 3 ZPZ shows... the Vai / Brock combo was excellent. It was nice to see and hear Ray White, but he wasn't tearin' up the stage with fun. Listen to the banter on the Dub Room Special CD... that has a real fun feel to it. The Zappas need to ask some virtuosos like Mike Keneally, George Duke and Ike Willis to help out with the "feel" cause ZPZ needs a lift if it is gonna survive another season or two. Great songs played perfectly by great musicians is a good thing. There will never be another Frank... when he passed he took a big important chunk to the grave... and that is THE HUMOR and SPONTANEITY. They need some nutjob on the stage... like Ahmet... whatever happened to Ahmet's participation? I think he was sitting behind me in one of the partially empty rows of seats... mouth hanging open in awe of his brother.

I know for a fact that the majority of former Zappa band alumni are not going to be asked to participate in the ZPZ thing... EVER! Lots of love out there folks. I love you Mr. Mama!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:15 pm 

^Maybe we just have different impressions of the shows. I am not old enough to have ever seen Frank Zappa live. I have heard a large amount of tapes and own the Baby Snakes and Dub Room Special DVDs, so I have at least got a glimpse of it. I saw a fair amount of audience participation and humor at the shows I was at. Enough for me anyway.

Quote:
The Zappas need to ask some virtuosos like Mike Keneally, George Duke and Ike Willis to help out with the "feel" cause ZPZ needs a lift if it is gonna survive another season or two. Great songs played perfectly by great musicians is a good thing.

Dweezil wanted Ike this time around but it didn't work out.

ZPZ is not a Frank Zappa band, as an attempt to have Frank's music played on-stage again for fans young and old, and hopefully to reach new potential fans. I think the "feel" you described is definitely important, but unlike you I didn't feel like ZPZ was lacking that in any way.

I think the players right now are doing a great job. They're nailing some pretty difficult songs and I don't think bringing George Duke or Keneally would really make the songs THAT MUCH better except maybe bring an element of authenticity or nostalgia.

DZ has said he's doing the shows for the kids, and that he has the young players up there for a reason. I can sympathize with that, but I agree with you that there is a need for guys like NPB and Steve Vai and Ray White to be up there for a, as you so eloquently put, "feel". I think some kind of combination of the two is the best way to go.

Hopefully we're on the same page. Now i know how trendmonger feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:42 pm 

Joe Mama wrote:
Dweezil wanted Ike this time around but it didn't work out.

A friend told me a couple of days ago that Ike has a crack addiction. He didn't show up at the Zappanale festival in Germany. No one heard from him at all. No wonder it didn't work out with ZPZ. (sorry Ike... if you're reading this and I'm wrong, my apologies) I saw Ike about 2 years ago when he wandered into a small club during an MK performance, but I didn't get a chance to say hello. I hope he is okay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:40 pm 

Quote:
A friend told me a couple of days ago that Ike has a crack addiction. He didn't show up at the Zappanale festival in Germany. No one heard from him at all. No wonder it didn't work out with ZPZ. (sorry Ike... if you're reading this and I'm wrong, my apologies) I saw Ike about 2 years ago when he wandered into a small club during an MK performance, but I didn't get a chance to say hello. I hope he is okay.

the reason he didn't show up at ZPZ is 'cuz Gail and him have some kind of beef.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:18 am 

Joe Mama wrote:
the reason he didn't show up at ZPZ is 'cuz Gail and him have some kind of beef.

Well, apparently the beef is with most former alumni. He was scheduled for the Zappanale fest and didn't arrive on his flight and didn't bother to tell anyone. He flaked on a 3-day festival.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:38 pm 

Joe Mama wrote:
... Now i know how trendmonger feels.

STFU!
{There.....NOW you can say you know how trendmonger feels. :wink: }

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:48 pm 
Banned

jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

Batchain1001 wrote:

Oh my.....Could this mean that Zappa Plays Zappa is a SUBSTITUTE?

Jimmy, you devil!

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:54 pm 

Quote:
STFU!
{There.....NOW you can say you know how trendmonger feels. Wink }

LMFAO.