Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hey, Joe....sit down...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:32 am 

Did anyone reading this see the 1988 Chicago Auditorium shows (2 nights - first night Sting showed up for some Stolen Moments/Murder by Numbers-check Broadway the Hardway for recording). The second night as I was sneaking down to the front rows a gentleman named Joe was so excited that he got Frank to pause the show to ask his name "hey, you..." - 'yeah! Frank!!!' - "What's your name?" - Joe replied, as he jumped out of his seat, 'Joe!' - Frank then requested..."sit down, Joe" whereupon Joe politely held in his excitement and sat down the rest of the show. I know this because I was literally sitting in the aisle at the end of his row(about 7th row - Joe was dead center - nice seat) and was never asked to leave. What a show! Anyway, later that Spring I was in Hampton, VA touring the Grateful Dead over spring break wearing my recently acquired Zappa tour shirt. I was sitting with my friends in a parking lot party enjoying much of the weird fruit found in such places when out of the corner of my eye I see this guy coming towards me and right when he asked me if I saw Zappa that year I appropriately replied, "...sit down, Joe!!" whereupon Joe freaked out that I recognized him, said he had a bootleg of the show we saw, that he would be right back, and then he disappeared among the Dead Head diaspora that had wrapped itself around the Hampton Coliseum for the weekend. I never saw Joe again, but if he reads this then he can freak out again and one more agin. Joe, where are you goin' with that tape in your hand...dance the Mudshark baby!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:50 am 

So that was YOU sitting in the aisle, creating a fire hazard? That security guy is still looking for you. I'd lay low for a while if I were you.

Amusing story, BTW. I like the part about how he went back for the tape and never returned. Totally Deadhead-esque. :wink:

Post subject: still looking...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:14 am 

Is he really, I thought Reagan was dead or at least that the statute of limitations had run out on the fire hazard offense...anyway, totally dead headesque...totally...oops that is valley girl, anyway, when Joe flitted off into the crowd I looked at my friends and we all agreed we probably would never see him again...maybe he is still lurking out there and will read this. If anyone saw these shows they may remember the giant sized inflatable weebles (weebles wobble, but they don't fall down) of Reagan, Bush, Swaggart and the boys that FZ and crew were kicking and abusing all over the stage those nights...good fun for the whole family...my friend was so drunk that night that they wouldn't let us in the FZ afterparty. What a bummer, my guitar wants to kill yo mama.