Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:19 am 

well,

first off: a big shout out and a yippee to the Memphis boys: Rit and Wade who flew up to Portland for this show. They got us tix to a great show and great seats here in Portland. They are off to Seattles show today.

At first we were a bit miffed cause we were hard stage left and we couldn't see the keyboard player behind the PA speakers...
lucky I brought earplugs for all so sitting next to the PA wasn't a problem. last time (on the video/DVD) we were center balcony, this time hard left balcony: so it was like being onstage with the band....

and what a band:
they handled this material like the total PROS they are...lovingly caressing every piece they touched (easily the best of any "cover" band covering this music).
and...
Ray FUGGIN' White (to quote Rit...) jeez louise!

Funnily enough out of the vast range of material they played - my favorite song was: "How can I be such a fool".
Which, in my opinion, was honestly even better - more "heart-feltingly" performed than in his daddy's day.
It sent shivers down me timbers.

I was deeply impressed in Dwee's tackling of Yo Mama's virtual note-for-note re-creation of his dad's Xenochrony solo from SY.

The DVD (we only watched the first segment of disc one last night up to the ending of STELLAR performance of A Pound for a Brown) is SUPERB and is perhaps the best overall VIDEO product released (to my liking) from the FZ visual catalog (this is because I prefer my concert videos to be more direct and to the point with respect to editing and camera movement. As opposed to FZ's constant jump-cutting and interspersions of animation and "effect", yada-yada-yada).

All and all I'm happier and bubblier than a happy-bubbly thing...

And I love the grace note that this will be an annual thing.
Since I hope to live approx. another 50 years (shooting for 100) and I plan for Dweezil to out live me...
So Joe and Dweezil can keep me entertained for years to come....

And thank all of YOU (most excellent FZ and ZPZ fans) for being involved in this music.
That makes it all the richer for myself.
I have kept my ear to the ground on FZ's trail since 1967 and when the thunder of hooves starts to shake the earth, there still NOTHING - NOTHING in the audio world that gets me as euphoric as this music...thanks for sharing.

love and kisses
dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:10 am 

I was at this show. It was way better than last year. Ray was fucking kick ass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:29 am 

wheatgurm wrote:
I was at this show. It was way better than last year. Ray was fucking kick ass.

Hell yeah, Ray rocked. The Mary Had A Little Lamb guitar lick had me cracking up :wink: I was also at last years show and I must add this...
I think Dweezil was playing at a much higher level this year. Really nailing some of FZ's guitar tones and phrasing. Awsome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:02 pm 
Banned

Last year was better, with Napi, Steve, and Terry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:27 pm 

zombie1210 wrote:

I'm gonna have to agree. I was at both Portland shows ( last year FZ's b-day, this year mine :shock: ). As much as I enjoyed this year, Steve,Terry, and Nappy took it over the top last year. Also, I must add this comment.... Dweezil's guitar playing seemed at a much higher level to me this year. Killer tones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:01 pm 

zintar3000 wrote:
zombie1210 wrote:

I'm gonna have to agree. I was at both Portland shows ( last year FZ's b-day, this year mine :shock: ). As much as I enjoyed this year, Steve,Terry, and Nappy took it over the top last year. Also, I must add this comment.... Dweezil's guitar playing seemed at a much higher level to me this year. Killer tones.

Yea I may have to back track on that comment thinking about it, Napi, Steve, and Terry were fuckin killer, but dam I was just as stoked to see Ray back up there, singing his ass off! Kudos Ray!!