Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: no more Valley Girl.....
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:27 pm 

Sorry Frank!

YouTube just removed one of my videos with the audio "Valley Girl" due to a request from the Zappa Family Trust.

I can't disagree with the legal side but after half a lifetime of following Zappa I find myself feeling a bit empty and starting to feel a bit differently about the whole Zappa thing..... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:59 pm 

ha ha ha ha ha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:18 pm 

Froff wrote:
Sorry Frank!

YouTube just removed one of my videos with the audio "Valley Girl" due to a request from the Zappa Family Trust.

I can't disagree with the legal side but after half a lifetime of following Zappa I find myself feeling a bit empty and starting to feel a bit differently about the whole Zappa thing..... :cry:

Have you considered buying the CD and listen to it? That could perhaps fill the gap in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:25 pm 

DELETED: Blank empty space phpBB2. YCEraseTOtheForumA...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:31 pm 

Froff wrote:
Sorry Frank!

I can't disagree with the legal side but after half a lifetime of following Zappa I find myself feeling a bit empty and starting to feel a bit differently about the whole Zappa thing.....
:cry:

you think frank would have allowed his music to be on youtube?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:55 pm 

^^^^ Why not? It's free advertising that can only expand the core fan base that will seek out and buy authorized releases.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:22 pm 

HJ wrote:
Froff wrote:
Sorry Frank!

Have you considered buying the CD and listen to it? That could perhaps fill the gap in your life.

I bought the album Ship Arriving To Late To Save A Drowning Witch on vinyl, then again on CD, so yes I had thought about buying it you twat. I also paid to see it played live. I own about twenty Zappa albums.

I use one of my tracks as a video backing and get threatened with legal action from the Zappa family. WTF???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:40 pm 

you are not the only one, and be happy that zappa's widow dont sue you like she does with the organisator of zappanale. there she want's 360'000 $.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:17 pm 

Froff wrote:
HJ wrote:
Froff wrote:
Sorry Frank!

I bought the album Ship Arriving To Late To Save A Drowning Witch on vinyl, then again on CD, so yes I had thought about buying it you twat. I also paid to see it played live. I own about twenty Zappa albums.

I use one of my tracks as a video backing and get threatened with legal action from the Zappa family. WTF???

I didn't think he played Valley Girl live ever. Well, as for using copyrighted music and distribute it free, there are laws. Copyright laws. They are meant to protect the artists, such that they bother make music in the first place, "twat".

Post subject: agreed
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:20 am 

Maybe I am an old fart, but intellectual property is just that, property. Gail may be overzealous in protecting FZ's legacy, but she has a right to. I don't agree with her suing Zappanale, but maybe she tried to deal with them. Just because you own a CD doesn't give you the right to use someone else's property in a public manner without their permission.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:37 am 

.. the same wizzy probably pompous u-tube vid, accompanied by Zappa-music... gone-ski.

..as if some fancier could be fended off from purse-chasing, eh purchasing the proper disc. ..lousy mono replay - try decent mmh-Space.

"Close your eyes and what one then can see ...you may keep."

..offski

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:46 am 

I can see that I am well outnumbered here. I am beginning to think that you may all have something!

Sorry HJ, didn't mean to call you names. I saw Zappa loads of times but now you mention it I don't remeber him playing Valley Girl.

I'll just go and have a private listen to some music....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:59 am 

..wasn't aware of me speaking chinees accident.

I'm on your side Floff.

luck&lol.

That's summing of a froff (4 the-m illiteRat3s, froth) , innit? !!!

´o´~
"Due to some wewwer-caprices."

<^Q^>
"Pack it in Speedy Gonzales, will ya, or ..lemme finK."

..mouse-traps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:33 am 

It is amusing to think of someone at the ZFT trolling through youtube looking for videos that don't measure up to their standard of Artistic Integrity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:52 am 

If its available to buy, then well its expected that you buy it.
Unless its a live rendition not available to buy in an format then I think those vids should be kept up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:38 am 

Froff wrote:
I can see that I am well outnumbered here. I am beginning to think that you may all have something!

Sorry HJ, didn't mean to call you names. I saw Zappa loads of times but now you mention it I don't remeber him playing Valley Girl.

I'll just go and have a private listen to some music....

No problem! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:35 am 

Thank you Mondstar, I find your entries very enjoyable and very very clever. Love the picture, I'll print one out for my wall (don't tell the picture police)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:43 am 

Froff wrote:
Sorry Frank!

It's a bit more complex than that.
There has been a sudden flurry of threats all over Europe.
I can give you the example of East Germans who while under the communist yoke spent all their money on the risky import of Zappa records. They would have ended up in the slammer if they had been discovered.
Now mine hosts are threatening them with copyright issues, fines and such over their excellent little festival they hold each year.
It's come to a fine point when the Zappa Family trust threatens Zappa fans.
I believe that there is a saying along the lines of, "When somebody is carrying you on their shoulders, Don't tell them that their head smells!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:02 am 

I guess the image of Valley Teens holding their video-recorder/cell phones up to a computer monitor as "Valley Girl" plays on YouTube is one far too offensive to FZ's legacy than they can tolerate.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:49 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
you think frank would have allowed his music to be on youtube?

Fuck yes! If youtube would have existed during his lifetime, of course he would have! He sure as hell never intended to keep his music a secret but the radio stations simply wouldn't play it. Youtube lets you bypass the bullshit and payola and go direct.

Anybody making music in 2008 who doesn't use youtube to their advantage is missing out on a great way to connect for free with established fans and curious newcomers browsing around. I think he would have loved it. He'd also have bitched about it for one reason or another because he liked to do that, but he'd have definitely used it and made it work to his advantage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:43 am 

Frank loved technology, and would have used YouTube. But he also never liked being denied compensation for his work (witness his diatribes whenever bootlegs were brought up in any of his interviews).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:13 am 

I can now reveal that when Frank went on his final tour, I planted a tree in his name without permission. I will remove it tomorrow. God knows what we can do about our pet cat Zappa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:25 am 

or my deceased dog Zomby Woof
or my other deceased dog Dweezil
or my buddy's dog Bunk (assuming that ex-Mothers are copyrighted as well)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:26 am 

uh-oh!

I have a pet cat named Zappa too! And another named Pumpkin and another named Peaches.

Do I need a lawyer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:28 am 

The Animal Kingdom is well represented here, can you imagine an army of litigant pets storming their local courthouses!

(and we used to only worry about our friends in the Vegetable Kingdom)