Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:59 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
This is an excerpt from a comment posted in an unrelated thread today.
I'm reposting it here in hopes that it will reach more eyes in this thread.

gz wrote:
I am 2 steps shy of taking it [the forum] down altogether because of the insistence of some people in "COMMUNICATING" their lust for self-importance and willingness to use any excuse available to abuse of their fellows. I am not interested in moderating behavior but this Forum, here, should be a nice place to visit for any fan, especially those that wipe their feet at the door.

since you keep re-posting gail's post all over the place, jimmie d., I might just do the same with my reply:

I think you should take this forum down. it serves no zappa purpose whatsoever anymore. it's all about 'what did you happen to knit today' and other assorted 'look at me'-topics. not to mention the excessive spamming by trendrock....

concentrate on the actual frank zappa-site.
update the zappa-articles and interviews and the discopgraphy-section (more details on musicians and recording dates, etc.)

the zappa-forum is dead. long live frank zappa.

Well fuck you buddy. Fuck you very much. I'm doing my best here to make something that's more interesting than those brainless what-are-you-listening/eating-post-random-photo/band/band name/lyrics games and what do you get? You're nothing but a whino. If you don't like it, go elsewhere or make a topic that will pass YOUR standards, but you can't, because you can only nag about others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:52 am 
Banned

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
since you keep re-posting gail's post all over the place, jimmie d, I might just do the same.

I posted it in two appropriate threads. Please don't exaggerate; it's inflammatory. Besides that, you're using my actions as an excuse for your own behavior. If you don't want this forum, why don't you stay away?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:40 am 

Speaking as a social outcast drowning in a cesspool of top 40 radio, mindless psuedo-reality shows ('So You Think You Can Dance', 'American Idolatry', 'So You Think You Matter' etcetera ad nauseum) and the mindless drones who cry out for more; I have to say that this forum does, in fact, serve a valid purpose.

It doesn't matter that threads occasionally (ok, frequently) get blown off topic, that some members submit non-Frank related posts or that some members are crazy as shit-house rats. We all gots some common ground. We all like Frank's music a lot and chances are pretty good statistically that we share other interests as a result. Birds of a feather and all that.

Most anywhere else I go to try and share my taste in music or humour or absurdity I get the hairy eyeball and angry glares. I left a party at a friends' place once because I mentioned that I did not like the Eagles. It was a case of depart under my own steam or face a disgruntled drunken posse of my erstewhile peers. :roll:

So yeah, here I gots somewhere to be and to let be. Of course, there may well come a time when the majority here gets tired and sick of my digressions, rants and assholatry. So it goes.

I'm not musician and I don't know art (or Art), but I know what I like.

And I like the ginormous sweater/cardigan there BBP. Is there perhaps a large and imposing stern-looking statue of a founding father/ military hero/ crucified dude in your town who would benefit comically from the addition of a warm winter garment? That'd be kinda funny... :wink:

Miasma!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:07 am 

Dear Sam,
Please post your vest-jokes in the vest-topic.
Thank you.

(Come to think of it, there is. But he's man-size, so it'll be too small.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:12 am 

While I agree with the above sentiments of Sam I Am, I must also conclude that the dismantling of this forum by the ZFT would be a great act of emancipation. A lot of posters here a pseudo-slaves to this nefarious virtual society, and many of them really need to get a life...a real life!

This forum is undoubtedly keeping some folks from fulfilling their honest potential, and without a doubt it's keeping many from cleaning their toilets. When I think of the good works that might be done by these folks instead of the insipid regurgitation they display here, my hungry heart sinks.

If I've learned anything from my seven or so years of blogging, I've learned it don't mean shit. When I see posters with thousands of posts on a single forum I think to myself "Fuck! Maybe you should mow the grass!" When I read some of the totally inane writings and dipshit banter, I think to myself, "Fuck! Humanity is screwed!"

Frank would not have wanted 99% of this forum. He would have thought it was foolish. He would have also argued for it's right to exist, but probably more so for his own garden of crap from which he could glean satirical crops from than any notion of its own cultural worth. The idea that there is page after page of ridiculous garbage now associated with Frank is actually quite nausiating. "Look, everybody...these assholes are the kind of people that like Frank Zappa...Frank must have been an asshole, too!"

Yeah, well, everybody's an asshole, I guess...but not everybody is a sophmoric stooge. Frank sold a few records to sophmoric stooges, but he probably sold a lot more to intelligent artisans. Of course, without an active moderator the stooges will take over...it's a metaphor for what's happened to the world in general. It's okay that this forum allows the limit of free speech...that doesn't really bother me...what bothers me is the number of people obsessed with this forum and their own web personna. You people are addicted to this shit...it might have been fun once, but it ain't so fun anymore, is it?

So, ZFT...cut off the supply and let these junkies go cold turkey. It will do them good. Maybe some of them will go outside and see the sky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:28 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
1st, thanks to all for the spelling correction, [lame excuse]this fucking hand-held device puts me at a disadvantage while typing out a post using that fucking stylus[/lame excuse]; it appeared that my upper case filtering software was fucking up when jimmie's quote showed up

the above post [inhale¿¿ wtf] is yet another example of the spamming viral negativity infecting this forum due to one pissant poster's relentless in-your-face attuitude... grow the fuck up, chump; how many spam threads did you start today, cunt, half-a dozen or more; how many casual guest readers and newbie members of this forum, or potential new frank zappa fans hit the back button and decided it was too hostile to bother

this forum was the best place on the internet, celebrating the music and the man named frank zappa; anyone's opinion is valid, anyone's counter to that opinion is valid, nobody's gonna agree with everything posted by everyone; we want to hear it all without worrying about offending anyone or having to wade thru the redundant garbage that spews forth from one dickheaded spammer

we used to be able to discuss, argue, bitchslap, slam and agree or disagree with anything anyone posts, there were occasional escalations of emotions, but they would invariably resolve themselves within a few days, weeks, or maybe longer on the rare occasion; some memorable & entertaining posting wars [disco boy, jimmie d, drool, catpuke, isaac, the other member called trendm0nger, clem, jaypfunk, mij, mungo, mattie to name a few], some would flame out & not be heard from again, 98% would just carry on, no hard feelings, life's too short to get permanently worked up; bitching and moaning about gail was part of the territory, the point was made, occasionally beaten to death, but in the end, the controversy died out, dropped in the dirt and on to the next topic

the previous forum [yabb] didn't have any polls like this one does, but there still were endless non-poll topics about favorites, bests, worsts etc. nobody gave them a second thought - they either jumped in or stayed out some consider zpz a good cover band, most consider zpz just another cover band, some are totally bored, some like them a lot, some don't really give a fuck... all but one insists on ranking zpz up with frank zappa

they're ok in my book, nothing special, not worth bashing, but to compare any zappa cover band to frank zappa is an insult; that fucking guy, just by walking out on stage, could take my breath away, and when he picked up his fucking guitar, it was absolutely heart-stopping, didn't even have to pick one note...all he had to do was grab the mic, say hello and we were owned; the stage presence, charisma and confidence he radiated is so far beyond what anyone can offer today it's a fucking joke... nothing personal to anyone here, just my opinion, which, like an asshole, every one has, some are bigger than others, they all weigh the same ... btw there is no need to ever post something that includes imo or imho; that's a given on a bulletin board or forum

gail ultimately runs this forum, she read the insults, complaints, whining, bashing and takes it in stride; does she censor or delete those kinda posts ¿.. no fucking way [with very very very few exceptions], she doesn't even blink twice

to this here frank zappa freak, one solid riff of a frank zappa solo is more enjoyable than all the solos played on guitar by all the guitarist in the history of the world since that fucking instrument was invented, guaranteed goosebumps every fucking time, when you add video to the audio, it's the ultimate [just watch zoot allures from dhbim]

btw, cunt, lexolo rocks, you fucking spambot

I'm still deciding if this post is better than the "poll" post.

Sam I Am wrote:
I left a party at a friends' place once because I mentioned that I did not like the Eagles.

You don't like the Eagles?

Asshole

Post subject: re: cheer up, chinaski
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:09 pm 

shark_barker wrote:
While I agree with the above sentiments of Sam I Am, I must also conclude that the dismantling of this forum by the ZFT would be a great act of emancipation. A lot of posters here a pseudo-slaves to this nefarious virtual society, and many of them really need to get a life...a real life!

This forum is undoubtedly keeping some folks from fulfilling their honest potential, and without a doubt it's keeping many from cleaning their toilets. When I think of the good works that might be done by these folks instead of the insipid regurgitation they display here, my hungry heart sinks.

If I've learned anything from my seven or so years of blogging, I've learned it don't mean shit. When I see posters with thousands of posts on a single forum I think to myself "Fuck! Maybe you should mow the grass!" When I read some of the totally inane writings and dipshit banter, I think to myself, "Fuck! Humanity is screwed!"

Frank would not have wanted 99% of this forum. He would have thought it was foolish. He would have also argued for it's right to exist, but probably more so for his own garden of crap from which he could glean satirical crops from than any notion of its own cultural worth. The idea that there is page after page of ridiculous garbage now associated with Frank is actually quite nausiating. "Look, everybody...these assholes are the kind of people that like Frank Zappa...Frank must have been an asshole, too!"

Yeah, well, everybody's an asshole, I guess...but not everybody is a sophmoric stooge. Frank sold a few records to sophmoric stooges, but he probably sold a lot more to intelligent artisans. Of course, without an active moderator the stooges will take over...it's a metaphor for what's happened to the world in general. It's okay that this forum allows the limit of free speech...that doesn't really bother me...what bothers me is the number of people obsessed with this forum and their own web personna. You people are addicted to this shit...it might have been fun once, but it ain't so fun anymore, is it?

So, ZFT...cut off the supply and let these junkies go cold turkey. It will do them good. Maybe some of them will go outside and see the sky.

man, that bleak, despondent spin you put on all your posts is a nice balance, a bit of gloom every so often doesn't go astray... he used to cut the grass & clean the catbox until he discovered zappa.forum, now he's an addicted stooge ¿ 4 or 5 posts per day, maybe 20 minutes or so, not much of an obstacle standing between the stooge & the stooge's fulfillent of their honest potential

zappa occasionally answered the phone at barfko; he answered a few fan letters, he might sit down next to some hired html programmer [picture bickford or yvega] and figure out something only zappa could conceive; you're probably right about using internet for gathering subject matter

there's so little zappa in real life, a cold turkey cut-off puts you back to fanzines, tape trading, snail mail etc., what's the point; there is a semi-active moderator that generally leaves the fungi alone in the dark, recent moderations have spread a little well-needed peace over the entire forum, so stick around, it's not that fucked up... buried under the all those pages of ridiculous garbage [btw, the 'if we're dumb, then frank is dumb' analogy is dumb] there's gotta be a decent amount reasonable content, and a more aggresively moderated forum invariably becomes a kiss-ass contest

ever read bukowski?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:49 pm 

BBP wrote:
Dear Sam,
Please post your vest-jokes in the vest-topic.
Thank you.

(Come to think of it, there is. But he's man-size, so it'll be too small.)

I was gonna post one, but someone else had already posted one that was eerily similar. I still think mine was better, but what the fuck...

=========

And don't worry about Lumpy. He can't take a shit unless he gets in his forty-five minutes of whining first. You wouldn't want to deprive him of that, would you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:20 am 

Without naming names, one of The pRimary sourcEs of Negativity anD Major attentiON whorinG
comEs fRom the same guy who frequently becomes the topic of nearly every subject. Especially on new album, DVD and tour threads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:17 am 

I admit: I am addicted to this forum. I am also obsessed with a guy called Frank Zappa. I am not ashamed of either. It has probably kept me from doing important things such as publishing more of my own scientific papers. But still, I tend to enjoy the sky and the real world everyday. I would be most bummed if the forum was pulled (to quote Larry Silverstein). But we would all probably migrate to BBP's forum anyway and gather over there...

Hey! It's the twentieth first century . . .
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it
So long as it doesn't cause a murder . . .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:27 am 

"[btw, the 'if we're dumb, then frank is dumb' analogy is dumb]" -slime.oofytv.set

It's not dumb if people are dumb, and people are dumb. Not everybody, but enough...

4our or 5ive posts a day at 20 minutes per? That's a low estimate for some, and still a substancial amount of time.

But then again, it's the quality of the post that counts. Some posters have run up their post count with cheap little quips that serve no purpose other than to insult or denigrate.

I've read a little Bukowski. I should be reading him now instead of posting bile here.

I'm not really out to destroy the forum...and my last post was more than a bit sarcastic...but I thought it was important to get to the root of what's going on here. This is a den of inequity, a vice club full of internet addicts. I admit...I am one, too. Once I got the high-speed connection, there was no stopping me. But you can't lose touch with who you really are.

As for the moderation here, it would be nice if we could use some self-moderation. Beyond that, peer-pressure on jerks could help somewhat...but from what I've seen, when a poster is brutal, abusive, insulting, rude or crude, it's applauded, and sometimes it even becomes a pile-on. Ignoring the jackasses does not work. When you're trying to have a decent conversation, and someone steps in to tell you that you are "wrong" or "stupid" or whatever the slur du jour might be, that someone needs to have his shit slapped...by everyone...even if they are a long-time member, or respected poster. What I'm talking about is personal attacks...it doesn't matter to me what you post...even spam...if you can't tell me you disagree with what I've posted without making it personal, then you can't expect to get away without being attacked personally yourself. But...what this does is create war, and while you might just be spending half an hour posting, you might be spending all day thinking about it. It's a waste.

I really admire Frank Zappa, and I've learned a lot about him from this forum. I've also squandered some precious time here, trying to talk sense as I see it. That's okay, it's my choice, but I'm not going to pretend that it would be a great loss if this forum was deleted before I finished this post. Maybe someone should go through this forum and make a "best of" segment, so that newbies don't have their interest shunted by the hip-deep crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:26 am 

Question to Shark, what kind of hobby's do you have?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:16 pm 

I write, and I like cars. What do you do other than troll?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:01 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
And don't worry about Lumpy. He can't take a shit unless he gets in his forty-five minutes of whining first. You wouldn't want to deprive him of that, would you?

and what a rewarding shit that is!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:31 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
since you keep re-posting gail's post all over the place, jimmie d, I might just do the same.

jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
I posted it in two appropriate threads. Please don't exaggerate; it's inflammatory. Besides that, you're using my actions as an excuse for your own behavior. If you don't want this forum, why don't you stay away?

I never said I don't want this forum.
anyway, I'll stick around. there are still a handful of interesting people left among the more regular posters.
the rest are good enough for the occasional laugh.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:33 pm 
Banned

Shark_Barker wrote:
"[btw, the 'if we're dumb, then frank is dumb' analogy is dumb]" -slime.oofytv.set

It's not dumb if people are dumb, and people are dumb. Not everybody, but enough...

4our or 5ive posts a day at 20 minutes per? That's a low estimate for some, and still a substancial amount of time.

But then again, it's the quality of the post that counts. Some posters have run up their post count with cheap little quips that serve no purpose other than to insult or denigrate.

I've read a little Bukowski. I should be reading him now instead of posting bile here.

I'm not really out to destroy the forum...and my last post was more than a bit sarcastic...but I thought it was important to get to the root of what's going on here. This is a den of inequity, a vice club full of internet addicts. I admit...I am one, too. Once I got the high-speed connection, there was no stopping me. But you can't lose touch with who you really are.

As for the moderation here, it would be nice if we could use some self-moderation. Beyond that, peer-pressure on jerks could help somewhat...but from what I've seen, when a poster is brutal, abusive, insulting, rude or crude, it's applauded, and sometimes it even becomes a pile-on. Ignoring the jackasses does not work. When you're trying to have a decent conversation, and someone steps in to tell you that you are "wrong" or "stupid" or whatever the slur du jour might be, that someone needs to have his shit slapped...by everyone...even if they are a long-time member, or respected poster. What I'm talking about is personal attacks...it doesn't matter to me what you post...even spam...if you can't tell me you disagree with what I've posted without making it personal, then you can't expect to get away without being attacked personally yourself. But...what this does is create war, and while you might just be spending half an hour posting, you might be spending all day thinking about it. It's a waste.

I really admire Frank Zappa, and I've learned a lot about him from this forum. I've also squandered some precious time here, trying to talk sense as I see it. That's okay, it's my choice, but I'm not going to pretend that it would be a great loss if this forum was deleted before I finished this post. Maybe someone should go through this forum and make a "best of" segment, so that newbies don't have their interest shunted by the hip-deep crap.

This is the GENIUS MASTERMIND's solution?

Shut it down because he KNOWS what we do with our time. Bullshit.

Fuck you, you arrogant jerk.

FYI, I work all day. Have a kid. Have a couple cars, a boat, a motorcycle, and quite a few hobbies, including semi-professional shooting sports. A few babes that I see when I feel the need. I build computers as a side job.
I have two elderly parents tat I visit at least once a week.

I have time for every god damned one of them, you dipshit.

Judgmental as you are, you ain't no Judge Judy. And you sure as FUCK ain't no genius.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:29 pm 

You're a father with parents? Scary!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:31 pm 
Banned

Shark_Barker wrote:

You're a human?

That's scary.

PRetty amazing how I can find time to do more than "live"on the internet, isn't it, Mr Presumptuous Genius?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:35 pm 

Dear Mr Dweezil Zappa,

I hope you read your message board. You have been touring for a couple of years now. I have traveled great distances to see your show, which was fabulous. Now you are playing to very small venues, yet you are traveling back to the same large cities to play for 250 to 400 people. I don't get it. I would like to invite you to come to Boise, Idaho and play for us, perhaps even SLC. You have many fans besides in New York.

Come and see us.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:47 pm 

A 911 Truther telling others that they are wasting their time?! That's pretty fucking sad.

Post subject: From under the bridge...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:15 pm 

You talking to me, troll?

Post subject: x
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:29 pm 

xxx

Last edited by Shark_Barker on Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Try this, fool...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:30 pm 

www.911blogger.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:32 pm 
Banned

:?

warlarsen wrote:
A 911 Truther telling others that they are wasting their time?! That's pretty fucking sad.

Shark_Barker wrote:
You talking to me, troll?

Where do you get the idea that warlarsen is a troll? I've looked over his posts, and he appears to be legit. Unlike the "father with parents" (huh?), who spends 95% bashing everyone else for no reason other than the fact that he has absolutely no life. But, according to you, the "father with parents" is not a troll. In fact, YOU are more of a troll than warlarsen, considering every answer to someone pointing out that there is absolutely no evidence of any of the claims you make is "shut the fuck up and submit, bitch."

[size=0]Isaac[/size]

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject: Caculations...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:36 pm 

Ten posts + hitting me with 9/11 truth = troll.

Yeah, I'm too drunk to type. Ever lived there?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next