Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Obama rap video
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:18 pm 

Today, a musician that I previously admired emailed to me an awful 'rap' video praising Barack Obama. The very existence of such a thing has finally pushed me over the edge in failing to understand the allure of this Obama character. His empty promises sound the same to me as the empty promises of every other desperate politician eager to convince me to vote for him/her. The only difference I can see in the way Obama presents himself is that Obama SOUNDS like a preacher; which is what turned me off to him in the first place. Obama's PREACHINESS seems to have the opposite affect on everyone else. Everyone else seems to LOVE him, for no apparent reason. One intelligent friend told me that is is refreshing to finally have someone with intelligence that is talking to us on the same level. ( ??? ) Since that is NOT the feeling that I have when I listen to Obama, I have to wonder what is really going on. In the very 'rap' video I mentioned earlier, the soundtrack is Obama himself repeating the wishes of our 'founding fathers'. I saw the clip from the TV show 'The View' in which John McCain tried to praise the wisdom of our 'founding fathers'. Whoopi Goldberg ( what actually IS her name, really???) used our 'founding fathers' as a reason to accuse McCain of trying to bring back slavery ( I guess America's values have held Ms Goldberg back from succeeding in this nation she seems to despise ).

So I have come to the conclusion that the only 'thing' about Barack Obama that separates him from all the other candidates is that he SOUNDS like a preacher. Now I know what he 'learned' from Reverend Wright. Obama 'learned' how to mesmerize certain types of humans with the preacherlike sing-song melodiousness and pan-chromatic resonance of his practiced speaking voice. And guess what... maybe that's just what America needs right now. Maybe America needs a hypnotic voice to calm everyone down and fool them all into thinking that 'all is well'.

I can see the scenario already playing out in my imagination. " Obama is elected.... People all over the world breathe a huge sigh of relief. Each person feels better about his/herself for their own individual reasons. The masses feel that finally one of their own has taken his rightful place amongst the Gods. And Obama continues to talk... His melodious cadence fading to background noise as people everywhere go back to living their individual lives... not caring anymore WHAT He is saying; just comfortable that He is talking, because just the SOUND of his voice comforts them."

And you might say... " Is there anything wrong with that? Can he do worse than GW ? Isn't it important that I FEEL good ?

There must be a reason that PREACHING is still a thriving business in this world. There must be a NEED for preachers in the human psyche. So what's so wrong with the first PREACHER PRESIDENT ?

I can't argue with that. Perhaps we as a nation need to try living under a preacher-in-chief for four years just to see if it can work. Maybe the Congregation Of The United States will be successful. How else will we find out?

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:36 am 

Interesting.

Although GW has been plenty preachy. He's just inarticulate. However, somebody in his team figured out that if he talks in bumper sticker slogans ("they hate our freedom", etc) the mongoloid masses that think he's a guy they'd "like to have a beer with" have something to hang onto. Somehow an awful lot of people didn't seem to mind, which I won't even try to understand anymore. What's my point? I don't know.

Maybe that cults of personality suck ass?

Yeah, I'll go with that. :lol: