Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Where do i start?!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:16 am 

Hi folks, new guy here, how you all doin'? Lovely. Although i've been aware of Frank (and been absolutely fascinated by his back catalogue) for many, many year i've only recently dipped my toe in, so to speak. I didn't quite know what to get so i bought the first thing i came across: The Zappa Plays Zappa album. Ok, not Frank himself, but i Absolutely LOVE it.

So, tell me, where on earth do i start? Not an easy question i know, but i want to buy something else sharpish!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:06 am 

I'd start with Apostrophe, Over Nite Sensation and Joe's Garage because they seem to be the most accessible. Then I'd go straight to Hot Rats, Waka Jawaka and Grand Wazoo. After that you'll just have to start filling in the holes until you have every one. Whatever you do, don't get rid of any if you don't get it right away. I've had a couple of albums that I came back to after sitting on my shelf for a while and they ended up being favorites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:04 am 

I agree with Jabba, sometimes you will have to listen to the same album multiple times before they really start to sink in. Uncle Meat is incredible!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:20 am 

Thanks guys. VERY much appreciated. :)

I was expecting folk to all say different things!

I'm gonna get onto it right away.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:47 pm 

I'm new here to. I tried to post an introductory topic in Announcements but I keep getting an error message. Thought I'd try to post a reply to see it that works.

Anyway, I agree with Jabba's recommendation, although if you like instrumental music a lot I would probably throw Hot Rats up there with Apostrophe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:55 pm 

hmm, so I can reply to an existing topic, but can't post a new topic. Oh, well. I PM'd the SA about it.

I wanted to post a long introductory story, but I guess that can wait. Don't wanna hijack this thread just to bore people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:31 pm 

Since you don't have anything yet, I suggest you start from the beginning with FREAK OUT. Then proceed sequentially through the catalog, enjoying each new era as it unfolds. That's 80+ albums, btw. It could be your life's work! :wink:

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:49 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Since you don't have anything yet, I suggest you start from the beginning with FREAK OUT. Then proceed sequentially through the catalog, enjoying each new era as it unfolds. That's 80+ albums, btw. It could be your life's work! :wink:

very good advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:41 pm 

Zappa is a journey, not a destination. Get them all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:55 pm 
Banned

If you're more of a rock fan, start with something like Sheik Yerbouti or Joe's Garage. If you're more of a jazz fan, start with Hot Rats or Waka/Jawaka. If you like orchestral music, get London Symphony Orchestra or The Yellow Shark. If you're into funk, get Over-Nite Sensation.

There's something for everybody.

[size=0]Isaac[/size]

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:18 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:

Great advice......that's what I would have said as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:42 am 

I also agree, Ronny's right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:33 am 

adamsoon wrote:
I also agree, Ronny's right.

That's how I did it...but I didn't have any other choice. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:23 am 

just plain doug wrote:
That's how I did it...but I didn't have any other choice.

Doug, us older fans are the lucky ones. We went through it right along with Frank himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:23 pm 

adamsoon wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

Doug, us older fans are the lucky ones. We went through it right along with Frank himself.

I don't know, you've had to wait 40 years for everything to come out at and a new fan has it all right here, plus they're still releasing new stuff at a pretty good rate! I've only been obsessed with Zappa for a few years and at the natural rate, I might only be up to Hot Rats by now. That leaves a lot of Zappa out there waiting to be heard. Hell, I'm 31 now and I don't now if I'd make it 40 more years to hear it all! I think now is an exciting time to be a new fan. Although, I am sad that I'll never see Zappa in concert. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:01 am 

jabba wrote:
adamsoon wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

I don't know, you've had to wait 40 years for everything to come out at and a new fan has it all right here, plus they're still releasing new stuff at a pretty good rate! I've only been obsessed with Zappa for a few years and at the natural rate, I might only be up to Hot Rats by now. That leaves a lot of Zappa out there waiting to be heard. Hell, I'm 31 now and I don't now if I'd make it 40 more years to hear it all! I think now is an exciting time to be a new fan. Although, I am sad that I'll never see Zappa in concert. :cry:

On the other, other hand...we got to live with an album for awhile, and really "get it down" before hearing the next release. And, the budget had a chance to recover before the next purchase, as opposed to buying mass quantities all at once. And, of course, we learned to be patient! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:09 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
On the other, other hand...we got to live with an album for awhile, and really "get it down" before hearing the next release. And, the budget had a chance to recover before the next purchase, as opposed to buying mass quantities all at once. And, of course, we learned to be patient! :wink:

Goddammit jpd, I want to be fucking patient RIGHT NOW!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:56 pm 

Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:

Great advice......that's what I would have said as well.

I tried to start from the beginning but it didn't work.
I got into it through Hot Rats, Waka/Jawaka and The Perfect Stranger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:13 pm 

I raised two children virtually alone and didn't have much Zappa (or any other music to speak of) due to the cost of buying new stuff verses the fact that the children needed to eat. I hadn't heard any Zappa after Apostrophe' except Broadway the Hard Way and Joe's Garage. Two years ago I found that Dweezil was playing Frank's music and took my son to see him. Now, I'm still a single parent but my son buys all the Zappa for me and we have enjoyed all the old (new to me) stuff together.
Life is good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:05 am 

just plain doug wrote:
jabba wrote:
adamsoon wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

Let's say in 1971 you were visited by someone in a tricked out DeLorean that gave you every record FZ would release during his lifetime. Would you patiently wait to listen to them as they were released or would you tear into them like a kid at Christmas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:23 am 

jabba wrote:
Let's say in 1971 you were visited by someone in a tricked out DeLorean that gave you every record FZ would release during his lifetime. Would you patiently wait to listen to them as they were released or would you tear into them like a kid at Christmas?

I would tear into them like a kid at Christmas, listening to each one once, never, ever getting the time to listen to each and every one 15 or 20 times, and therefore missing the subtle connections throughout the series.
It's more enjoyable to calmly listen to an album, without the pressure of more albums waiting to be played. Otherwise, hearing all the albums becomes a bigger goal than listening to (and remembering) every little twang, honk and poot.

Post subject: Albums
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:37 am 

For years, (too many to mention), I've been listening to "shut up and play your guitar". If you like guitar, this is the all time most amazing album ( 3 record set) ever released. Yes, album, I still use a turn table in my lair.
Just saw the show last night in Harrisburg, I MUST SEE MORE!

Post subject: Re: Albums
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:01 am 
Banned

Pete wrote:
Just saw the show last night in Harrisburg, I MUST SEE MORE!

Project/Object
featuring
Ike Willis & Ed Mann
Sunday, 23 November 2008
World Cafe Live!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

http://tickets.worldcafelive.com/eventperformances.asp?evt=2719

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:38 am 

A good place to start would be Lather, I think it takes care of a lot of Franks styles in one package.

Started thinking about it and I'm kinda jealous of danny ray. Wouldn't it be cool to be hearing this music for the first time,