Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:39 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
As long as you get there, your awinner with Frank. Welcome to the world of ZappaFreaks! :D 8)

Thanks for the welcome! I'm finally realizing that I need to communicate with other ZappaFreaks as our brains work kinda differently to the rest of the general popluation...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:58 pm 

awinner wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
As long as you get there, your awinner with Frank. Welcome to the world of ZappaFreaks! :D 8)

Thanks for the welcome! I'm finally realizing that I need to communicate with other ZappaFreaks as our brains work kinda differently to the rest of the general popluation...

You got that right. You've come to the right place fo' all things Zappa. Before ya know it you'll be speaking Zappaneze just like the rest of us. :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:06 pm 

I'm fairly new here as well. Welcome to Freakville bro!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:25 pm 

I've been speaking Zappanese for a while, just have never been much for message boards. But for Zappa, I make exceptions to all my rules! I'm eager to hear more about favorite Zappa moments and albums that fried your minds...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:17 pm 

I don't remenber it with great detail but I'll do my best:

A few years ago (2 or 3) I was in my dad office, my dad was there drinking some beers with a neighboor (who is some kind of crazy artist) and they were talking about music and naming several bands and then this guy mentioned a guy named Frank Zappa.

I remenber that his name caused curiosity in me (I don't know why) but I didn't look for it on youtube or anywhere, I was to bussy listening to Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix at that time.

At some point I decided to search for it in Youtube. Know, I'm not sure what was the first song I listened but I do remenber I didn't listen the full thing (maybe I didn't like it)...what I remenber was that I listened "He is so gay" and "Stinkfoot" (a token of his extreme version) and liked then both, and that was it. For several weeks those were the only two frank zappa songs that I listened, I didn't care for anything else.

...An then one day "Joes Garage" appeared in my life. I laughed my ass off and at the same time was amazed by the music, watermelon in easter hay is an UNIVERSAL MASTERPIECE.

...And then Hot Rats.

And now he is my favorite composer, just like that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:20 pm 

Bruno1403 wrote:
...An then one day "Joes Garage" appeared in my life. I laughed my ass off and at the same time was amazed by the music, watermelon in easter hay is an UNIVERSAL MASTERPIECE.

...And then Hot Rats.

And now he is my favorite composer, just like that.

Welcome to our world. The Zappa Zealots surrounded by ZappaFreaks! It's all good with FZ. :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:15 am 

Well, I found some "the best albums in history" collection on the web, in the 2007 or 2008 and there was "Freak Out!" !
I simply love it, 'cause that's not greates album in history, but the greatest in the universe, for me.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:48 am 

Used to hand out in a friend's basement...very That 70's Show...another friend who hung out decided to start bringing albums from his collection that he hadn't listened to in a while over for us all to check out....two of those were The Mothers of Invention's Freak Out and the Pink Floyd's Ummagumma. In both cases it was love at first listen.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:07 pm 

When I was 15 I got a box of garage sale records from my grandpa, in that box was The Mothers Live at the Filmore East.

After I heard that I listened to Freak Out!

And that's all she wrote.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:13 pm 

My journey to know Frank Zappa has been a complicated one. I grew up listening to rock, mostly mining out of my father's music collection, then moved on to heavy metal in my teens, passed on to prog rock (including Zappa, which i really didn't get at this time, at least not fully) for a few years then moved out of rock music altogether straight into classical and jazz, going back to rock only occasionally. After gaining a lot of experience in those musical genres, and with the occasional foray into new genres, like blues, or even Indian classical music, i came back to Zappa on a whim and suddenly everything made sense. Before he was just a good rock musician among many. Suddenly he appeared to me as one of the most interesting rock musicians in existence, if not THE most interesting, at least on a technical level (aesthetics are always subjective anyway).

Despite all this, i still can't stand his lyrics. They are just too profane for me, and i find all the sexual stuff distasteful and unfunny. I understand what he was trying to do, sort of a cynical regurgitation of the insane society we currently live in, throwing a monkey wrench to the optimism and idealism people seem to have for modernity, but still...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:03 pm 

Opus131 wrote:
Despite all this, i still can't stand his lyrics. They are just too profane for me, and i find all the sexual stuff distasteful and unfunny.

I agree in that some of the lyrics I find difficult now cos I have four daughters. But his word play is great. I go around quoting it like I do the simpsons and silence of the lambs.
TT