Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Rainbow bridge
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:39 am 

Hi,

As a guy who evaded from "reality" so many times by listening to Frank's music, I thought I'd try to mix in this forum where obviously I share some the musical tastes of some of you. There aren't a lot of us when you think about it. I mean, again yesterday, one of my good friend told me "why don't you try making some nice songs" after listening to my stuff in the car. :)

I know that some of you are really well documented on 70s music and I am wondering if someone could help me find a place where I could order the fabulous Rainbow bridge album from Jimi Hendrix. There is a tune on that album called Hey Baby and it's just amazing. I seldom want to learn covers but I would really like to learn that one.

I looked it up in many stores and I don't want to download illegally. Anyone knows about a place where you can buy rare stuff like that?

Thanks in advance,

Thierry

Post subject: Re: Rainbow bridge
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:48 am 

posting to my self so I can have 10 posts and access my private messages. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:19 pm 

tderuelle wrote:

i'd download it illegally. jimi is long dead and any money from sales is probably going in some lawyers pocket. you can probably stream it for free at last fm

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:24 pm 

TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
tderuelle wrote:

i'd download it illegally. jimi is long dead and any money from sales is probably going in some lawyers pocket. you can probably stream it for free at last fm

I'll check last.fm.

it's true though... what family does he have left? His story is so sad...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:29 pm 

tderuelle wrote:
TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
tderuelle wrote:

I'll check last.fm.

it's true though... what family does he have left? His story is so sad...

GOT IT!!!! WOUHOU!
i BOUGHT IT ON ItUNES.
the album wasn't called rainbow bridge anymore but First Rays of the new rising sun. That's why it was so hard to find.
Awesome. now I have to learn it. Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:18 pm 

We have 2 copies of that album - one pristine and unplayed since I bought it and promptly moved in with Mr Floss who already had it so we saved it all shiny and new just in case ..... of what I don't know. Perhaps it was in case some Zappa forum newbie was trying to track it down, several decades down the line, but I missed the boat since you're now sorted!
:roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:24 pm 

tderuelle wrote:
GOT IT!!!! WOUHOU!
i BOUGHT IT ON ItUNES.
the album wasn't called rainbow bridge anymore but First Rays of the new rising sun. That's why it was so hard to find.

Thanks for the update...one of my fav obscure Jimi tunes. Ive had the video for years as a bootleg but it always bugged me that the sound was out of synch and missing in some parts. Still, a legendary show that is still talked about by some of the locals on Maui. I lived a few miles from the actual site. It was a good place to pick mushrooms.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:55 pm 

Cletus wrote:
tderuelle wrote:
GOT IT!!!! WOUHOU!
i BOUGHT IT ON ItUNES.

Thanks for the update...one of my fav obscure Jimi tunes. Ive had the video for years as a bootleg but it always bugged me that the sound was out of synch and missing in some parts. Still, a legendary show that is still talked about by some of the locals on Maui. I lived a few miles from the actual site. It was a good place to pick mushrooms.

I copied and pasted the name of te album in iTunes for you:
First Rays of the New Rising Sun

man this is so good. "is the microphone on"

I want to play this.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:44 pm 

Cletus wrote:
tderuelle wrote:
GOT IT!!!! WOUHOU!
i BOUGHT IT ON ItUNES.

i'm smoking some maui wauie right this minute :mrgreen:

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:42 am 

floss wrote:
We have 2 copies of that album - one pristine and unplayed since I bought it and promptly moved in with Mr Floss who already had it so we saved it all shiny and new just in case ..... of what I don't know. Perhaps it was in case some Zappa forum newbie was trying to track it down, several decades down the line, but I missed the boat since you're now sorted!
:roll:

I understand your moto now about trendmonger's wasting disk space... I have just wasted about 15 minutes of my time surfing around the board and saw this guys called trendmonger.... it seems we don't all have a job and schedule.

Stay tuned, I am learning the Hey Baby tune. I am almost through and I'l post a video when ready.

Thanks for your help,

Thierry Deruelle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:39 pm 

Hey Baby is one of the great Hendrix tracks I reckon, but also get the instrumental track Pali Gap, from the same album...great stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:34 pm 

I actually found out he had a sister and she is the ceo of experience hendrix LLC who produced the album I legally downloaded. I am happy to see he had some family left and that I can still help them in a small manner.

Downloading illegally is stealing. There is no other way to look at it. Even if it's a "lawyer" and he bought the rights, he bought them and published it so we can listen to it.

There are no rational on stealing, and at the price that they sell them now, who the hell can't spare one buck? What kind of cheap bastard must you be not to pay one dollar to get something that was crafted and that you"ll enjoy forever.

ITunes takes 30 cents off every download, the indie artist get 70 cents, the other labeled one gets nothing but a maybe 20 cents...

I can't understand why people would go to all that trouble to save one buck... or 10 for that matter.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:43 am 

tderuelle wrote:
I understand your moto now about trendmonger's wasting disk space... I have just wasted about 15 minutes of my time surfing around the board and saw this guys called trendmonger.... it seems we don't all have a job and schedule.

Stay tuned, I am learning the Hey Baby tune. I am almost through and I'l post a video when ready.

Thanks for your help,

Thierry Deruelle

He (Trendmonger) doesn't bother me anymore since he is on my ignore list. I only see his posts (or parts of them) if other people quote them, which isn't very often as these days he is largely ignored.

Look forward to seeing your video!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:56 pm 

here it is, I am building the intro to it. It's hard "a cappella" or "a chitarra" I should say...

It's a start.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tderuelle1

Thierry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:39 am 

Nice work, sir!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:04 pm 

playdead wrote:
Nice work, sir!!! :mrgreen:

hey! tx a bunch!

Thierry