Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:52 pm 

First off, I am very excited to be able to participate here. Second off....
GODDAMN do I miss that man!

That being said, I grew up in Brooklyn (1952-1977) and I attended many of Frank's shows in the New York City area from 1969 to about 1974. The first would have been at the Fillmore East, with Jeff Simmons, Ray Collins, and Aynsley Dunbar/Billy Mundi sharing duty. They played Chunga's Revenge, and a GRIPPING version of The Angels "My Boyfriend's Back". They also did a great Wino Man, more like the Playground Psychotics version than the Zoot Allures one. I believe a band called Head Over Heels opened for The Mothers. We did NOT boo them off the stage.

Next was a great show in Central Park, opened by Buddy Guy. It was sold out so we sat outside on "the rocks" which was as good as being indoors. It was part of the old Sheaffer Music Festival sponsored by Sheaffer beer

The Fillmore East, June 1971 was next. This was the Saturday night late show. John and Yoko showed up the next night. This was the New York areas first REAL exposure to the Flo & Eddie Mothers. The opening song was Peaches, and from those first few drum strokes it was apparent that Doctor Dunbar WAS the standard. For me, he still is. He was magnificent, as was the entire band. Flo and Eddie rocked. It is a shame that the vinyl and cd do not begin to approach the sound obtained that night in that venue. "Happy Together" was special, as was "Tears began to Fall".

I believe the next show I saw was at Stonybrook University on "The Island", fall 1971. This was largely a Long Island greaser crowd, and perhaps the first time I saw Frank really adapt himself to the audience. He just smoked on guitar that night. It is still burned into my mind. The interplay between Dunbar and Underwood during the long jam in Billy the Mountain was great, and Frank capped it with a guitar solo that was part march, part rock anthem.

The next show was the highlight of my concert going career. Same year, 1971, CARNEGIE HALL. First off, Frank was CLEARLY pleased to be playing that venue. "Boys and girls, welcome to the desecration of Carnegie Hall!" were the first words he said. I think he was also very pleased that we had brought back the opening act, The Persuasions, for three or four encores. It was apparent from the look on The Persuasions faces as we standing ovationed them, that THEY couldn't believe it. We were largely a young, stoned out, white crowd, and they appeared to be astonished that we cared for them. I can't say much for that show because words cannot describe the relationship between how well the band played that night, and the acoustics offered by the hall. MAGNIFICO! The encore by The Mothers was The Mudshark. After the last regular number on the card ended, the band left the stage. We standing ovationed until Frank alone came back out. Here's what followed....

"I've just been told by the management of this hall that if I want to use this stage past midnight, I have to pay an extra $600."

At this point people started to get up and put their jackets and coats on.

"Well I'll tell you what.... I'D BE HAPPY TO PAY 600 BUCKS TO PLAY FOR YOU PEOPLE SOME MORE!!!"

The place went crazy, the rest of the band came onstage, and Frank leaned into the mic and said, "This next song is dedicated to the prick in the back counting the overtime money."

Then came The Mudshark.

I'm going to close this initial post, I don't want to wear out my welcome, and I'll discuss attendance at other concerts at a different time. But I really need to ask.....

Was anybody else there at the first night of The Grand Wazoo concerts at Madison Square Garden's Felt Forum? You know, the night we booed The Bob Seger System off the stage after they completed their first song? I'm still proud of that and also recall there WAS no warm-up band on the second night. I also recall I was heart-broken that Doctor Dunbar was NOT the drummer for these shows, Crazy Jim Gordon from Derek & The Dominoes (who would later go on to axe murder his mom) was.

Edited to say, I fly for a living, and get around quite a bit. A couple or three years back, we were flying into Mojave Airport pretty regularly, and staying in Lancaster whenever we did. I tried to find Sun Village, and Antelope Valley High School. The guys I fly with are not big music fans, and certainly not Zappa freaks, so I had limited time to accomplish these things and failed. What I DID find, because you can't miss it, was Billy the Mountain, the biggest one in the area. Located precisely between lovely Rosamond and Gorman.

Last edited by Toasted Almond on Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:47 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:58 pm 

Welcome Toasted Almond!! Have fun at the forum! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:00 pm 

Thanks mon, I plan on doing just that. VERY happy to have dropped in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:59 pm 

Toasted Almond Welcome and thanks for your message cool :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:19 am 

hey toasted---welcome!!! fab post! tell us more!!! you have some wonderful memories! please post more and make yourself to home :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:33 am 

Yea man GREAT stories!!! Welcome!! Any pix of any of these shows? 8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:36 pm 

Carnegie Hall is now available for pre-order!

http://barfkoswill.shop.musictoday.com/ ... =971_51410

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:45 pm 

Whatever happened to this Toasted Almond guy? He had alot to bring to the forum.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:19 am 

He got imprisoned in the I'm Napoleon Bonaparte Prison for Compulsive Liars. I didn't believe a word of it. The "I fly for a living" was the giveaway. Pilots don't get paid enough to do it for a living.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:59 pm 

KillUgly wrote:
Whatever happened to this Toasted Almond guy? He had alot to bring to the forum.

September 16, 2006:

"Does someone/anyone think I'm trying to sell this to Zappa's widow?

Your mom had the disease so you can goof on it? Your best friends brother?

You guys are just a touch lower on the food chain than I imagined. There appears to be a lot more childish crap at this site than real exchange of intelligent info.

Have a good forum."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:25 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
KillUgly wrote:

September 16, 2006:

You guys are just a touch lower on the food chain than I imagined. There appears to be a lot more childish crap at this site than real exchange of intelligent info.

Have a good forum."

He sounds rather wise.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:22 am 

IrishBoris wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
KillUgly wrote:

September 16, 2006:

Have a good forum."

He sounds rather wise.

For a liar, of course :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:19 am 

thenoisydrum wrote:
IrishBoris wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
Toasted Almond, September 16, 2006:

Have a good forum."

He sounds rather wise.

For a liar, of course :roll:

That's Irish Boris for you - stern as an anthill and swift as a wind, a virtual Trendfisher... Boris is Irish, and an artist - in the Dublin sense.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~nobyrne/a-zcompact.htm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:15 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:
thenoisydrum wrote:
IrishBoris wrote:
He sounds rather wise.

For a liar, of course :roll: Know what? I did a poo-poo all by myself today.

That's Irish Boris for you - stern as an anthill and swift as a wind, a virtual Trendfisher... Boris is Irish, and incredibly funny. Shame it's lost on us a bit. Hard to believe we go around the place being so dour, isn't it? It's obvious he was contradicting himself there as a little ol' comedic device, but we drew attention to it like it's a big deal. Ah well. Even though he's self-depricating at times, affects an inflated ego at other times, I guess it's just harmless fun. I think he's great anyway. And hey none of this matters people! Keep smilin'! Gotta go, Murder She Wrote is on and Angela Landsbury gets me "in the mood".

http://homepage.eircom.net/~nobyrne/a-zcompact.htm

Aw, thanks for that Dark. Yeah I'm strong as a bee, nimble as an ox. For the record, the Irish don't really call urinals "cock mangers." Until now of course..! Good site buddy!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:41 am 

Toasted Almond wrote:
There appears to be a lot more childish crap at this site than real exchange of intelligent info.

What a load of wee-wee.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:30 am 

KillUgly wrote:

I found his comment on his attendance thought provoking. But then again many of the topics beings discussed on the forthcoming release lack objectivity of the aural space and time of Oct 11, 1971 Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention at Carnegie Hall.

To see so called Zappa fans churning the voodoo butter is not my idea of a good time.

I don't think it takes a doctor degree in molecular science to get a grasp on what is at our footsteps. The space and time that the music lives in "glorious mono" is of a unique aural domain. Extremely eager for this, my appetite is salivating. Now maybe some folks have never been to Carnegie Hall or understood the history of molecular motion of notes, how they react to the hall and inhabitants but the "glorious mono", I for one have lived a good amount of live experiences in the hall. To have been there, hearing Boulez, Zappa and many other artists of various space and time. How the music comes to life.

Some of the pootage reminds me of someone who starts burping before they eat the Corned Beef & Pastrami from the deli across the street. So if Toasted Almond makes a return, maybe he could tell folks about the pickles, slaw and proteins piled 6 inches high between rye bread. If one wanted a "Woody Allen", first they would have to get to the Carnegie Deli. They are $18.95 each plus tax and tip. Let's order four, each paired with Dr. Brown Cel-Rey Sodas and the bill with tip is about $125.

All it takes is for fans to dilate their thought process a little bit. To just hear or read a text description FRANK ZAPPA and the Mothers of Invention, 2 Full Shows @ Carnegie Hall. I don't know what more, in a short descriptive could set a wider aperture for my optimistic view.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:55 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
<snip> objectivity...pootage...Woody Allen...dilate... <snip>

And this is why people hate you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:28 am 

great, trendy's back

A '55 Chevy that his brother just stoled