Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:55 am 

Just wanted to post this picture:

(Can someone please explain why I get so many Spears pictures when I look for a picture using the word "meltdown"?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:28 pm 

I'm glad you had a good time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:30 pm 

Ludlow wrote:
I read the forum quite a bit but almost never post. Question, why do you all even respond to the Trendsetter ? Maybe you folks should be the ones wearing the GREEN LANTERN HAT not me. PS the show last night in Berekely was GREAT!!

Ignoring cancer does not make it go away. Neither does ridiculing it, but in this case it's a lot more theraputic.

"Ya like horses?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:42 pm 

BBP wrote:
Just wanted to post this picture:

(Can someone please explain why I get so many Spears pictures when I look for a picture using the word "meltdown"?)

Nice Meltdown Pic :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:47 pm 

pygmy stallion wrote:
Ludlow wrote:
I read the forum quite a bit but almost never post. Question, why do you all even respond to the Trendsetter ? Maybe you folks should be the ones wearing the GREEN LANTERN HAT not me. PS the show last night in Berekely was GREAT!!

Ignoring cancer does not make it go away. Neither does ridiculing it, but in this case it's a lot more theraputic.

That's a poignant point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:06 pm 

pygmy stallion wrote:
Ludlow wrote:

I'm a SURVIVOR! Where's my ribbon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:12 pm 

feetlightup wrote:
pygmy stallion wrote:
Ludlow wrote:

I'm a SURVIVOR! Where's my ribbon?

If you sing that like Destiny's Child, you'll get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:22 pm 

ImageImageImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:30 pm 

I noticed the forum has been a little more sane recently. I wonder why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:38 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
I noticed the forum has been a little more sane recently. I wonder why?

Oh no. Don't challenge HIM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:06 am 

BillyDaMt wrote:
pygmy stallion wrote:
Does Trendy even realize that the "wide screen attack" wouldn't be nearly as effective if he didn't write a fucking novel every time he posted?

Trendy doesn't "get" a lot of things.
:wink:

He doesn't 'get' anything he just 'brings it on upon himself,' whatever the hell that means!

Stream my music here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:28 am 

jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
.....and now.....Dweezil Zappa has stepped into the fray.....

SOME FRANK TALK
Dweezil Zappa discusses his father's legacy

Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 08/3/07
by Ed Condran, Correspondent

"Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar" remains an exceptional concert document of Frank Zappa guitar solos from the '70s. When Zappa's son Dweezil Zappa and his group Zappa Plays Zappa performs Sunday at the Count Basie Theatre in Red Bank, critics should shut up until they hear him play guitar.

Don't ask Zappa about the Frank Zappa tribute act Project Object's belief that Zappa Plays Zappa delivers his father's material too reverently.

"Our band is the closest to how (Frank) Zappa did it," Project Object's Andre Cholmondeley said. "We leave room for experimentation. Zappa plays Zappa plays it by the book. There's a gross misunderstanding there. Zappa kept it tight, but he kept a window open for improv."

Dweezil Zappa, who always called his father Frank, was less than thrilled to hear Cholmondeley's thoughts.

"There's no reason I should take anything they say as valid," Zappa said while calling from Chicago. "To try to turn this into a competition is stupid. They're trying to make a living off of material that's not their own, and they're doing a poor job. That's all I'm going to say about it."

Zappa Plays Zappa treats Frank Zappa's catalog in a manner akin to classical musicians. They replicate the sounds created by Zappa's legendary father.

"That makes total sense to me," Zappa said. "Do some of these bands think they're going to make my father's music better? That's not going to happen. Do orchestras take Mozart and rip it apart? Of course not! Frank did things a certain way, and that's the way we present the material. This project is so important to me."

Zappa formed the group in 2006 to preserve his father's rich legacy.

"I don't want Frank's music to be forgotten," Zappa said. "There are a lot of younger people who were never exposed to his music. And then there are the casual listeners who just know "Dancin' Fool,' "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow' and "Valley Girl.' Frank was much more than those songs. Those songs don't give you one sixty-fourth what he was all about."

Frank Zappa, who died at 53 in 1993 due to cancer, was an innovative, challenging and prolific composer who experimented with rock, jazz, funk, classical and doo wop. A master satirist, he arguably is the godfather of prog-rock, and some of his material is certainly proto-punk.

"There was no one like Frank, and there is no one remotely like him today," Dweezil Zappa said. "That's why I'm out there playing his music."

It isn't easy for Zappa to select tracks for his shows.

"(My father) composed and recorded so much music that what I can pick for shows is endless," Zappa said.

In light of the above post, I guarantee he'll be back. And soon. We'll can expect several full blown dissertation/rants on this tortured topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:32 am 

I'm not half the DZ-fan I used to be... this article pisses me off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:16 am 

"There was no one like Frank, and there is no one remotely like him today," Dweezil Zappa said. "That's why I'm out there playing his music."

.... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:50 am 

wheatgurm wrote:

This could easily have been edited out of context to make him sound like an asshole... Or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:45 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
wheatgurm wrote:

This could easily have been edited out of context to make him sound like an asshole... Or not.

I agree. Right from the start it appears the writer had a bit of an agenda. He ended up doing a disservice to Andre AND to Dweezil. No one cares who is better. Both are doing a great service to Frank's legacy. Support both, one or the other, but not neither because there is some good stuff happening. I cannot imagine a Zappa fan letting a hack journalist affect their thinking one way or the other anyway.

I'm going to see Vai 2x this month, ZPZ 2x in October, and P/O at least once in the coming months. And I will be happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:22 pm 

The Dweeze was quoted as saying wrote:
"There's no reason I should take anything they say as valid," Zappa said while calling from Chicago. "To try to turn this into a competition is stupid. They're trying to make a living off of material that's not their own, and they're doing a poor job. That's all I'm going to say about it."

So, um Dweeze. When did you write this stuff?

Damn. Foot in mouth disease strikes again.
I loved, love loved the zpz show this year.
And if they tour again next year, I'll go again.
But that above quote, even if taken out of context, is just stupid.

But I do agree, that it appears as though the writer was trying to goad DZ into saying something.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:42 pm 

Ludlow wrote:
Bumpity bump

why?