Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Best Zappa Concerts
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:34 pm 

Are there any concerts in particular that are referred to as Frank's best?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:32 am 

Halloween 78 (longest known FZ concert - 4 hours)
Ritz 81

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:46 am 

that the one Jayp said before and fair play it was top sound even on bootleg don't think i Had 4 hours worth tho.Some other guest guitarist on the end :wink: can't remember who it was know.another story my hard drive was overheating and i keeped formating pc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:22 am 

ALL OF THEM!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:29 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
ALL OF THEM!

Really? There's never been one night that maybe they were a bit off, regardless of being the great musicians they were?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:13 pm 

^^^^ Stop turning enthusiasm into yellow snow, Calvin.

Some of my choices, not in any particular order (and why):

1. Osaka, Japan 1976 (Black Napkins solo used on Zoot Allures)
2. Berlin, Germany 2/1978 (many Sheik Yerbouti solos from this concert)
3. Brussels, Belgium 1982 (incredibly twisted FZ solos)
4. Ft. Lauderdale, Florida 1980 (He Used to Cut the Grass w/vocals, a unique robot Easy Meat)
5. Buffalo 1980 (because it was great & I was there!)
6. Chicago 3/3/1988 (after the Swaggart-bashing, Sting came out and did Murder by Numbers with the band)
7. The Ritz, NYC 1981 (incredible show including a killer Stevie's Spanking, a reggae version of Whipping Post, the premier of Clownz on Velvet w/Al Dimeola, and best of all, a cover of Christopher Cross' Run Like the Wind sung by Brian Peters the drum roadie and introduced by FZ as "this is Run Like the Wind featuring Brian Peters and Al Dimeola"!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:40 pm 

I remember reading about one concert where Frank instructed the band to play the whole gig in reggae style
any ideas which gig this was?.. and whether it was recorded?

I still like the KCET gig the best...but I haven't listened to all gigs

I was at the FZ/OZ gig....but the Hordern always sounds crappy
It sounds better on CD

"Wanna buy some pencils?...."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:24 pm 

SwaggartDecisions wrote:
^^^^ Stop turning enthusiasm into yellow snow, Calvin.

I was merely asking Jayp if he's heard one. He's heard lots more than I have, I've never heard a clinker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:49 pm 

^^^^ Was only jokin' :)

And I have to add:

8. Santa Monica 12/1981 (great FZ solos, esp. SATLTSADW, special guests Nicolas Slonimsky and Lisa Popeil)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:54 am 

There are so many. There are lots of soundboards from the 74 band. There is a great one of the Zappa/Beefheart tour...the last 88 US show...the 4 hour Halloween show from the late 70's...

There are some tapes of poor grade but the band was HOT...check out Jon's list for song content...if you want my advice get them all...

Let the ZFT that all you EVER will buy in the future is ZAPPA music...release the contents of the vault and buy it all!

I am ready!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:09 am 

A couple of my personal favorites with the follwing disclaimer (I only have about 40 shows):

31-Oct 1974, Felt Forum, NYC
Late show: 130 min, Aud, B+
w/ Lance Loud (*) and Bruce Fowler (**)
Tush Tush Tush, Stinkfoot, RDNZL, Village Of The Sun, Echidna's Arf, Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?, Babbette, Approximate, I'm Not Satisfied, Po-Jama People, Yellow Snow Medley, Cosmik Debris, Nite Owl*, Big Swifty**, Apostrophe, Pygmy Twylyte, Room Service, Tush Tush Tush

24-Oct 1976, Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA
Early show: 108 min, Aud, A/A-
Intro, Stinkfoot, Dirty Love, Wind Up Workin' In A Gas Station, Tryin' To Grow A Chin, The Torture Never Stops, City Of Tiny Lights, You Didn't Try To Call Me, Manx Needs Women, Titties 'n Beer, Black Napkins, Advance Romance (including Inna-Gadda-Da-Poodle), Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me?, Rudy Wants To Buy Yez A Drink, Dinah-Moe Humm, Stranded In The Jungle, Muffin Man, Purple Lagoon.

30-Oct 1977, Palladium, NYC
180 min, Aud, A-
w/Roy Estrada on Gas Mask
Stinkfoot, Poodle Lecture (YCDTOSA6), Dirty Love, Peaches En Regalia, The Torture Never Stops, Tryin' To Grow A Chin, City Of Tiny Lights, Pound For A Brown, Is This Guy Kidding Or What? (YCDTOSA6), I Have Been In You, Dancin' Fool (world premiere), Jewish Princess (world premiere), King Kong, Disco Boy, Envelopes, magic tricks by some Austrian magician, I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth, Wild Love, Titties 'n Beer, Dance Contest, More Dance Contest, The Black Page #2, Jones Crusher, Broken Hearts Are For Assholes, Punky's Whips, Dinah-Moe Humm, Camarillo Brillo, Muffin Man, San Ber'dino

28-Jun 1982, Stadthalle, Vienna, Austria
124 min, Aud, A-
w/ Dweezil (*)
Strictly Genteel, Doreen, Goblin Girl, Black Page #2, Cocaine Decisions, Nig Biz, Sinister Footwear, Marqueson's Chicken, Tell Me You Love Me, Broken Hearts Are For Assholes, Drowning Witch, Envelopes, Bamboozled By Love, Let's Move To Cleveland, Tinseltown Rebellion, Approximate, Cosmik Debris, King Kong, Bobby Brown, Sofa, Stevie's Spanking*

1-May 1988, Isstadion, Stockholm, Sweden
158 min, Aud, A-
Guest appearances by Mats ÖÖberg & Morgan ÅÅgren (*) and Dweezil (**).
Heavy Duty Judy, Packard Goose Medley, Any Kind Of Pain, More Trouble Every Day, Penguin In Bondage, Hot Plate Heaven At The Green Hotel, Cosmik Debris, Inca Roads, Advance Romance, Bobby Brown, Keep It Greasey, Torture Never Stops Medley, Big Swifty* (incl T'Mershi Duween*), Joe's Garage, Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?, Peaches En Regalia, Stairway To Heaven, Whippin' Post** (q: Handsome Cabin Boy), I Am The Walrus, Jam**, Sofa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:17 pm 

SwaggartDecisions wrote:

6. Chicago 3/3/1988 (after the Swaggart-bashing, Sting came out and did Murder by Numbers with the band)

Actually the whole run of shows from Royal Oak, Muskegon and Chicago from '88 were among the best performances from that tour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:02 am 

The Black Page Part 2 wrote:

1-May 1988, Isstadion, Stockholm, Sweden
158 min, Aud, A-
Guest appearances by Mats ÖÖberg & Morgan ÅÅgren (*) and Dweezil (**).
Heavy Duty Judy, Packard Goose Medley, Any Kind Of Pain, More Trouble Every Day, Penguin In Bondage, Hot Plate Heaven At The Green Hotel, Cosmik Debris, Inca Roads, Advance Romance, Bobby Brown, Keep It Greasey, Torture Never Stops Medley, Big Swifty* (incl T'Mershi Duween*), Joe's Garage, Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?, Peaches En Regalia, Stairway To Heaven, Whippin' Post** (q: Handsome Cabin Boy), I Am The Walrus, Jam**, Sofa

This would be a good Vaulternative release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:22 pm 

21-Aug 1970, Santa Monica Civic Center, Santa Monica, CA
100 min, Aud, A-
An abridged version (54 min) is commonly circulating as "Jul 1971, El Monte Legion Stadium".
Agon, Call Any Vegetable, Pound For A Brown, Sleeping In A Jar, Sharleena, The Air, Dog Breath, Mother People, You Didn't Try To Call Me, King Kong, Road Ladies, What Will This Morning Bring Me This Evening?, What Kind Of Girl Do You Think We Are?, Bwana Dik, Latex Solar Beef, Daddy Daddy Daddy, Do You Like My New Car?, Happy Together, What Will This Evening Bring Me This Morning?, Would You Go All The Way?, Rudy Wants To Buy Yez A Drink, Wonderful Wino, Concentration Moon, Mom And Dad

2-Dec 1972, Cowtown Ballroom, Kansas City, MO
Early Show: 70 min, Aud, B+/B
Rollo, Duke Of Prunes, Montana, Little Dots, Cosmik Debris, KC Blues, Farther Oblivion, America Drinks & Goes Home
Late Show: 75 min, Aud, B+
Merely A Blues In A, Son Of Mr. Green Genes, Rollo, Imaginary Diseases, Cosmik Debris, Chunga's Revenge, Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?

11-Mar 1973, Texas Hall Auditorium, Arlington, TX
96 min, Aud, A-
RDNZL, Dog Meat, Fifty-Fifty, Deviations (audience participation jam, speech about imaginary diseases of the future), Inca Roads, Montana, George Duke solo, improvisations (incl. Mystery Song #2), Son Of Mr Green Genes/King Kong/Chunga's Revenge

23-May 1975, El Paso County Coliseum, El Paso, TX
90 min, SBD, A
w/ Jimmy Carl Black on guest vocals (*)
Improvisations, Apostrophe, Stinkfoot, I'm Not Satisfied, Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy, Velvet Sunrise, Pound For A Brown, You're So Fine/Lonely Lonely Nights*, Debra Kadabra, Montana, improvisations (q: Hall Of The Mountain King), Advance Romance, Florentine Pogen

to name a few 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:44 am 

Best concert I ever heard: 1981-11-17 New York.

Great sound quality, great setlist, great musicians, fantastic playing, interesting guests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:00 am 

It's gotta be this one for me.........

30-Oct 1977, Palladium, NYC
180 min, Aud, A-
w/Roy Estrada on Gas Mask
Stinkfoot, Poodle Lecture (YCDTOSA6), Dirty Love, Peaches En Regalia, The Torture Never Stops, Tryin' To Grow A Chin, City Of Tiny Lights, Pound For A Brown, Is This Guy Kidding Or What? (YCDTOSA6), I Have Been In You, Dancin' Fool (world premiere), Jewish Princess (world premiere), King Kong, Disco Boy, Envelopes, magic tricks by some Austrian magician, I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth, Wild Love, Titties 'n Beer, Dance Contest, More Dance Contest, The Black Page #2, Jones Crusher, Broken Hearts Are For Assholes, Punky's Whips, Dinah-Moe Humm, Camarillo Brillo, Muffin Man, San Ber'dino

Post subject: All of em for me...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:16 pm 

Went to see him at the Santa Barbara Bowl, and New Years Eve at the Long Beach Arena, and a couple other places in LA... Always amazed me... Bummed the dates I was with out though... I still Scored...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:23 pm 

damn, i missed that s.b. bowl show--i couldn't find anyone to go with me! i know that on the tour bus was the legend,"no one special" :wink: how was the show?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:43 am 

My God, there are far, far too many to list.
But I haven't seen these.

21-Jun 1973, Festival Hall, Brisbane, Australia
121 min, Aud, B+/B
Dog Meat, Fifty-Fifty, Montana, Dupree's Paradise, Cosmik Debris, Yellow Snow Suite, Farther Oblivion, Inca Roads (q: Fly Me To The Moon), RDNZL, Son Of Mr Green Genes/King Kong/Chunga's Revenge

24-Jun 1973, Horden Pavilion, Sydney, Australia
120 min, SBD, A+/A
The endings (Farther Oblivion and on) of the June 24 & 25 shows are partly the same, possibly these tapes were edited and mixed by FZ.
Dupree's Paradise, Dog Meat, Fifty-Fifty, Montana, Yellow Snow Suite, Farther Oblivion, Son Of Mr Green Genes/King Kong/Chunga's Revenge

25-Jun 1973, Horden Pavillion, Sydney, Australia
127 min, SBD, A-
The endings (Farther Oblivion and on) of the June 24 & 25 shows are partly the same, possibly these tapes were edited and mixed by FZ.

Montana, Dupree's Paradise, Dog Meat, Fifty-Fifty, Cosmik Debris, Inca Roads (q: I Left My Heart In San Francisco), Yellow Snow Suite, Farther Oblivion, Son Of Mr Green Genes/King Kong/Chunga's Revenge

26-Jun 1973, Horden Pavillion, Sydney, Australia
120 min, Aud, B
with Barry Leef on guest vocals (*)

Dupree's Paradise, Cosmik Debris, Dog Meat, Fifty-Fifty, Big Swifty, Inca Roads, Montana, Yellow Snow Suite, Farther Oblivion

28-Jun 1973, Festival Hall, Melbourne, Australia
Rehearsal: 5 min, FM, A/A-
RDNZL
125 min, Aud, B+/B
Dupree's Paradise, Cosmik Debris, Dog Meat, Fifty-Fifty, Montana, Inca Roads, Yellow Snow Suite, Farther Oblivion (incl. Echidna's Arpeggio), Son Of Mr Green Genes/King Kong/Chunga's Revenge

29-Jun 1973, Festival Hall, Melbourne, Australia
Early show: 135 min, Aud, B+
w/ Barry Leef on guest vocals (*)

Dupree's Paradise, Dog Meat, Montana, Fifty-Fifty, Big Swifty/Eat That Question, Cosmik Debris, Road Ladies*, Mudshark, Farther Oblivion

1-Jul 1973, Festival Hall, Melbourne, Australia
125 min, Aud, B-
Dupree's Paradise, Cosmik Debris, Big Swifty, Montana, Inca Roads, Dog Meat, Farther Oblivion, Son Of Mr Green Genes/King Kong/Chunga's Revenge

4-Jul 1973, Apollo Stadium, Adelaide, Australia
95 min, Aud, C+/C
RDNZL, Dog Meat, Fifty-Fifty, Dupree's Paradise, Cosmik Debris, Montana, Inca Roads, Big Swifty, Zomby Woof

8-Jul 1973, Horden Pavillion, Sydney, Australia
125 min, Aud, B
with Barry Leef on guest vocals (*)

Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?, Zomby Woof, Dupree's Paradise, Road Ladies*, Inca Roads, Cosmik Debris, Farther Oblivion, Son Of Mr Green Genes/King Kong/Chunga's Revenge

This tour was amazing.
I would love to see any of these released officially.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:25 am 

Pistoia 82 is a very dynamite show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:23 pm 

1.) Waterbury 72 - world premere of Montana also T-Shits, Rollo, Ugly Little Dots
2,) Waterbury 73 - Great band - world premere (and only time?) Planet X
3.) Waterbury 74 - Great band - great version of Oh No/Orange County Lumber truck
4.) Springfield 88 - The tapes out there...Beatles melody - great from start to finish

5.) 78 Halloween - GREAT show
6.) late 76 - Boston

Wish I had recorded the first three

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:52 pm 

All the shows I saw except the 75 tour with Bianca. I saw almost every band from 73 on, and they were almost all peak musical experiences. :D

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:56 am 

I really liked Passaic N.J. - May 1973

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:42 pm 
Banned

Here's one no one has said yet:
8-22- 84 Indianapolis,IN
Tasty sounding show with alot of improvisational experimentations. 8)

Also love: Ritz 81, Buffalo 80', Dallas 80', New Year's 74', and anything in October of 78'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:00 pm 

For what it's worth, the Kalvøya 1973 show is widely considered to be the best Zappa-concert on Norwegian ground, and one of the best ever concerts in Norway. Did anyone here attend this show?