All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:18 pm 

SuzyBrieCheese wrote:
It's gotta be this one for me.........

30-Oct 1977, Palladium, NYC
180 min, Aud, A-
w/Roy Estrada on Gas Mask
Stinkfoot, Poodle Lecture (YCDTOSA6), Dirty Love, Peaches En Regalia, The Torture Never Stops, Tryin' To Grow A Chin, City Of Tiny Lights, Pound For A Brown, Is This Guy Kidding Or What? (YCDTOSA6), I Have Been In You, Dancin' Fool (world premiere), Jewish Princess (world premiere), King Kong, Disco Boy, Envelopes, magic tricks by some Austrian magician, I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth, Wild Love, Titties 'n Beer, Dance Contest, More Dance Contest, The Black Page #2, Jones Crusher, Broken Hearts Are For Assholes, Punky's Whips, Dinah-Moe Humm, Camarillo Brillo, Muffin Man, San Ber'dino

Yeah, most consistently great concert I've heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:54 pm 

RUI wrote:
SuzyBrieCheese wrote:

180 min, Aud, A-
Stinkfoot, Poodle Lecture (YCDTOSA6), Dirty Love, Peaches En Regalia, The Torture Never Stops, Tryin' To Grow A Chin, City Of Tiny Lights, Pound For A Brown, Is This Guy Kidding Or What? (YCDTOSA6), I Have Been In You, Dancin' Fool (world premiere), Jewish Princess (world premiere), King Kong, Disco Boy, Envelopes, magic tricks by some Austrian magician, I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth, Wild Love, Titties 'n Beer, Dance Contest, More Dance Contest, The Black Page #2, Jones Crusher, Broken Hearts Are For Assholes, Punky's Whips, Dinah-Moe Humm, Camarillo Brillo, Muffin Man, San Ber'dino

I'm pretty sure I was at that show...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:39 pm 

brainpang wrote:
RUI wrote:
SuzyBrieCheese wrote:

180 min, Aud, A-

I'm pretty sure I was at that show...

I'm very sure I am jealous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:37 pm 

I keep coming back to listen to this one a lot. I suspect I am in love with the most excellent AUD quality. Lively and great set-list too!

5-Sep 1978, Folkets Park, Malmö, Sweden
114 min, Aud, A/A-
The Purple Lagoon, Dancin' Fool, Easy Meat, Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me?, Keep It Greasey, Village Of The Sun, The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing, City Of Tiny Lights, Pound For A Brown, Bobby Brown, Why Does It Hurt When I Pee? (world premiere), Conehead, Flakes, Magic Fingers, Yellow Snow Suite, Bamboozled By Love, Sy Borg, Little House I Used To Live In, Tell Me You Love Me, Dinah-Moe Humm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:41 pm 

another excellent one... great AUD recording too! Wicked show... full of out-there craziness and bits from SUAPYG too.

11 Dec 1980, Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, Santa Monica, CA late show

01 - Chungas Revenge
02 - You Are What You Is
03 - Love Of My Life
04 - Flakes
05 - Magic Fingers
06 - The Blue Light (part on TR)
07 - Tinseltown Rebellion
08 - Pick Me I Am Clean
09 - Dead Girls Of London
10 - Shall We Take Ourselves Seriously?
11 - City Of Tiny Lights
12 - I Aint Got No Heart
13 - The Torture Never Stops~Heavy Duty Judy (incl.Sugarplum Fairy; Spring Song; Perry Mason; q: Uncle Meat)
14 - Broken Hearts Are For Assholes
15 - I Am So Cute (YCDTOSA #6)
16 - Andy
17 - Lohengrin
18 - Dont Eat The Yellow Snow
19 - Stick It Out
20 - Nite Owl
21 - Illinois Enema Bandit (including Soup And Old Clothes)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:34 pm 

someone knows where can i find the dvds?

Last edited by jegerenhore on Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:26 pm 

BACK IN THE '70s, we'd pile six to eight people in a van, check the gas and oil, and head off to a show. This one was Frank Zappa and the Mothers at the Augusta Civic Center.

Halfway through the show, a fan tossed a beer bottle and hit Frank in the shoulder, hard. The house lights went on, the fan was caught, and the show was canceled. We returned to our room at the Holiday Inn next door. While getting ice, we ran into Frank and invited him to our room. Frank and the band ended up in our room for the night, jamming until sunrise and drinking all our beer.

T. GERBER

Concord

----------------------------------------------------------------

I found this in a Concord paper On-Line. [Concord Monitor]

When is the concert?

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:27 am 

Just been listening to Boston 20th October 1977 (same venue as Wazoo 5 years before I think) early or late show, can't quite work out which cos of missing songs, but great all the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:46 pm 

The 1984 early show at the Felt Forum in NYC was my best "experience" at a concert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:11 pm 

jegerenhore wrote:
someone knows where can i find these?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-E6FDf9GkA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zerqXtf6Cas

my favourite youtube performances, it would be nice to see the whole stuff

The first one is on The Dub Room Special.

The second one is from the Baby Snakes DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:07 pm 

hm...

how do you know for these concerts? is there a way I can get them (read download)

i like allconcerts without too much progressive experimental stuff, and without long guitar solos :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:18 pm 

certainly a significant selection of shows attended and chosen for some general undisclosed reason

Oct 27,1978 NYC Palladium Early Show
Intro Guitar Solo, Dancin' Fool, Easy Meat, Honey Don't You Wanna Man Like Me?, Keep It Greasey, The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing, City Of Tiny Lights, A Pound For A Brown*, Bobby Brown, Conehead, Dance Contest [TTR], The Black Page , Little House I Used To Live In, Magic Fingers [parts on H], Yellow Snow Suite, Dinah-Moe Humm [H], Camarillo Brillo [H], Muffin Man [H]

May 5, 1980 Nasaau Colliseum
Watermelon In Easter Hay, Teenage Wind, You Are What You Is, I Ain't Got No Heart, Love Of My Life, Bamboozled By Love, Pick Me I'm Clean, Society Pages, I'm A Beautiful Guy, Charlie's Enormous Mouth, Conehead, Easy Meat, Mudd Club, The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing, Heavenly Bank Account, Suicide Chump, Jumbo Go Away, If Only She Woulda, Drafted Again, Joe's Garage, Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?, Dancin' Fool, Bobby Brown, Black Napkins, Nite Owl, Don't Eat The Yellow Snow, The Illinois Enema Bandit

Oct 30,1978 NYC Palladium
Chunga's Revenge, You Are What You Is, Mudd Club, The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing, Dumb All Over, Heavenly Bank Account, Suicide Chump, Jumbo Go Away, If Only She Woulda, I Don't Wanna Get Drafted, Tell Me You Love Me, I'm A Beautiful Guy, Beauty Knows No Pain, Charlie's Enormous Mouth, Any Downers?, Conehead, The Blue Light, Cosmik Debris, Keep It Greasey, Outside Now, Tinsel Town Rebellion, Doreen, Goblin Girl, Joe's Garage, Dancin' Fool, Bobby Brown, Ms Pinky, Stick It Out, q: Mendelssohn's Wedding March, Watermelon In Easter Hay

Hallowen 1981 Palladium NYC Early & Late Show
Chunga's Revenge, You Are What You Is, Mudd Club, The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing, Dumb All Over [YCDTOSA1], Heavenly Bank Account [YCDTOSA1], Suicide Chump [YCDTOSA1], Jumbo Go Away, Envelopes, Drowning Witch, What's New In Baltimore?, Moggio, We're Turning Again, Alien Orifice [parts on YCDTOSA6], Teenage Prostitute, Flakes, Broken Hearts Are For Assholes, The Blue Light, Tinsel Town Rebellion, Yo' Mama, Bobby Brown, City Of Tiny Lights, Strictly Genteel, Dancin' Fool, Whipping Post

Black Napkins, Montana, Easy Meat [TDRS], Society Pages [YCDTOSA3], I'm A Beautiful Guy [YCDTOSA3], Beauty Knows No Pain [YCDTOSA3], Charlie's Enormous Mouth [YCDTOSA3], Fine Girl, Teenage Wind, Harder Than Your Husband, Bamboozled By Love, Sinister Footwear, Stevie's Spanking [TDRS], Cocaine Decisions, Nig Biz, Doreen, Goblin Girl, The Black Page, Tryin' To Grow A Chin, Strictly Genteel [YCDTOSA6], The Torture Never Stops, Joe's Garage, Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?, The Illinois Enema Bandit, King Kong (q: Auld Lang Syne), Auld Lang Syne

November 17, 1981 NYC The Ritz
Treacherous Cretins, Montana, Easy Meat, You Are What You Is, Mudd Clubb, The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing, Dumb All Over, Heavenly Bank Account, Suicide Chump, Jumbo Go Away, Envelopes, Drowning Witch [parts on SATLTSADW], What's New In Baltimore?, Moggio, Bamboozled By Love, Sinister Footwear, Stevie's Spanking [parts as basic track on TOU], Cocaine Decisions, Nig Biz, Doreen, Goblin Girl, The Black Page (q: Smoke On The Water), Tryin' To Grow A Chin, Strictly Genteel, Clowns On Velvet [parts as basic track on TF], Ride Like The Wind, Zoot Allures [parts on Truck Driver Divorce, TOU], This Is My Story, Whipping Post, Watermelon In Easter Hay
Special guests Al DiMeola - guitar
Brian Peters - vocals

Halloween 1984 Early & Late Show
Apostrophe, City Of Tiny Lights, You Are What You Is, Mudd Club, The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing, In France, The Evil Prince, Daddy Daddy Daddy, King Kong, Cocaine Decisions, Nig Biz, Outside Now, Alien Orifice, Be In My Video, Joe's Garage, Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?, WPLJ, Camarillo Brillo, Muffin Man, Cosmik Debris, Whipping Post

Zoot Allures, Tinsel Town Rebellion, Trouble Every Day, Penguin In Bondage, Hot Plate Heaven At The Green Hotel, Lucille Has Messed My Mind Up, Drowning Witch, Ride My Face To Chicago, Goblin Girl, The Black Page, Teenage Wind, Truck Driver Divorce, He's So Gay, Bobby Brown, Bamboozled By Love, Let's Move To Cleveland, Little Girl Of Mine, The Closer You Are, No No Cherry, Sharleena, Baby Take Your Teeth Out, Dinah-Moe Humm, The Illinois Enema Bandit (incl. Mr Green Genes)

02/04/88 - Beacon Theatre, New York, NY

The Black Page, Dickie's Such An Asshole, When The Lie's So Big, Planet Of The Baritone Women, Any Kind Of Pain, Jesus Thinks You're A Jerk, Sofa, Packard Goose Medley, The Torture Never Stops, Why Don't You Like Me, Disco Boy, Teenage Wind, Truck Driver Divorce, Who Needs The Peace Corps?, We're Turning Again, King Kong, Stairway To Heaven, Dancin' Fool, Whipping Post, I Am The Walrus, Strictly Genteel

03/25/88 - Nassau Colisseum, Uniondale, NY
FINAL US Peformance
The Black Page, I Ain't Got No Heart, Love Of My Life, Inca Roads, Sharleena, Who Needs The Peace Corps?***, Dickie's Such An Asshole, When The Lie's So Big, Jesus Thinks You're A Jerk [parts on BTHW], Sofa, Happy Birthday To You, Packard Goose Medley, The Torture Never Stops Medley, City Of Tiny Lights, A Pound For A Brown, A Few Moments With Brother A. West**, Texas Motel Medley, Peaches En Regalia, Stairway To Heaven*, I Am The Walrus, Whipping Post*, Bolero, America The Beautiful
Guests Dweezil Zappa on guitar (*)
Reverend A. West Vocals(**)
Eric Buxton Vocals (***).

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:59 pm 

thanks Dr. Zoltan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:10 pm 

Flea wrote;
Quote:
hm...

how do you know for these concerts? is there a way I can get them (read download)

follow the link
www.zappateers.com

Post subject: excellent guide
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:11 pm 

zp [minor edits by slime-o] wrote:
...So, I'll take each tour after the "MOI Reunion tour" in early 1970 (because really, every 1960s show is equally amazing), and the "definitive" show (or shows) from each. Given a choice between an otherwise "average" show with a single positively jaw-dropping, heart-stopping moment or two, and a show that's overall better, but without as much "wowie zowie", I'll always, always lean towards the former, so this is in no way truly definitive.

• 1970 Flo and Eddie - I'll admit, this is one tour I don't often listen to. Too much Groupie Opera, not enough Don Preston. That said, 1970 12 06 Late Amsterdam is an excellent show, with a monster 18 minute Call Any Vegetable, and a King Kong thrown in for good measure. I've heard good things about the 12/15 Paris and the August Fillmore shows - but I can't really remember either clearly enough to feel comfortable making a call. Someday soon...
  • 1971 Flo and Eddie - This tour, on the other hand, is a guilty pleasure of mine. Wish more of the Europe leg was recorded. Narrowing it down to just one show is incredibly difficult. 1971 12 04 Montreux Switzerland is definitely the best listen of the tour - both in terms of sound and in terms of "event" (this is the "Smoke on the Water" show, captured forever on the legendary Swiss Cheese / Fire! bootleg). However, as powerful as it is to listen to history unfolding (even if this show wasn't full of good music, it'd still get an A+ for documentary value alone), there is one deeply problematic flaw with this show: No King Kong! So I'll have to co-nominate 1971 11 23 Duesseldorf Germany for the top spot. 34 minutes of King Kong. This is right up there with the Hot Rats' "Chunga's Revenge" jam - even the drum solo rocks. And, I'll add 1971 11 21 (L) Copenhagen Denmark as an honorable mention, solely based on Elephant Beer, a one-time-only performance of a very fun (if slightly simplistic) boogie.
  • 1972 Grand Wazoo - No contest. I recently mentioned in some thread somewhere that the Grand Wazoo was one of those tours I could never really get into. Well, thanks to 1972 09 15 Berlin Germany , I am now proud to report that I am a die-hard Wazoo junky! While all the shows have their high points, the twenty minutes labelled "improvisation" is, quite simply, some of the best music Zappa ever inspired. Twenty band members. No plan. And amazingly, amazingly musical. I've listened to this track more times than I can count in the past two weeks alone, and still a surge of pure amazement washes over me when Zappa sinks into a dirty, filthy metal tone for the final solo. Heavenly.
  • 1972 Petit Wazoo - A bit trickier than the Grand Wazoo. All of these shows are good - even the Philly show has some delicious-sounding improv. I'm going to go with 1972 12 02 (L) Kansas City MO . Some of the best sound of the Petit Wazoo, and a killer Imaginary Diseases solo.
  • 1973 Spring - Another tour that makes it hard to choose just one - but choosing more than one leads to a slippery slope, the result of which is a lengthy, useless list of all the shows on the tour. Ignoring the 5/09 Passaic show, which is definitely one of the classics, I'm going to have to give the ultimate nod to an under-appreciated favorite of mine: 1973 05 06 Pittsburgh . This show is the singular reason for my disclaimer regarding "single moment" shows. While 5/09 is probably the more "classic" of the two shows, the "jam" track from Pittsburgh (coming after Farther O'Blivion) is simply out there. After hearing this, I will never, ever be able to fully relate to any Ponty-bashing that goes on in certain [unenlightened] circles of the Zappa community. This is completely mind-blowing. There's also a rare performance of "Eat That Question", very march-like, very excellent.
  • 1973 Australia - No contest here, folks - 1973 06 24 Sydney AU wins it ... One of the best sounding shows ... quite possibly mixed by FZ for release... The encores are excellent - check out Frank's filthy wah-wah on Chunga's Revenge! ...
  • 1973 Summer - this one's another tricky call. I'm going to throw caution to the wind and go with 1973 08 31 Roma (Italy) . The sound quality on this is a bit frustrating - the last six tracks feature a lot of micro-dropouts ... Highlights include some delicious solos in Dupree's Paradise and an equally-delicious impromptu singalong by an excited audience member during Son of Mr. Green Genes.
  • 1973 Fall - ah, the Roxy band... I'm going to abstain from nominating any single show - though if I had to choose blindly, 1973 10 26 Austin TX and the sound therein seem like as good a vote as any. 1973 11 18 Waterloo Canada . Bask in it. Love it. The music is excellent and the banter holds up to multiple listens. You can actually hear Ruth talk at one point - a true rarity for the ages...
  • 1974 Winter - an underrated tour, no question. While the shows do tend to "blend together" - not a lot of individual personality that separates one show from another - the early version of Andy is simply superlative, and aside from the rather terrible "too-fast" version of Florentine Pogen, I can't really find much negative to say about the rest of the repertoire. While the 2/16 Berkeley show is tempting, I'm going to give the nudge to 1974 03 08 Kansas City Ks , based on the slighty "brighter" sound and the Dupree's Paradise, which makes excellent use of the Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy vamp - the best part of the old, slow-tempo Carolina, without having to suffer through the never-ending lyrics.
  • 1974 Spring - there's not much to choose from here, and the single show I'm most curious about (4/24/74) remains elusive. That said, somehow I still find myself in a split decision: 1974 05 01 Binghamton NY is far and away the winner in terms of sound quality, even beating out 1974 05 08 Edinboro, PA ... However, the 5/08 Dupree's is over thirty minutes long, whereas the better-sounding Binghamton version is "only" a "mere" seventeen minutes in length. They both feature the funk-tastic "Can't Afford No Shoes" riff, they both feature "Lohengrin", and while the Edinboro Dupree's features both "Octandre" and "Blue Moon" and a very moe-tastic guitar solo, the Binghamton show sounds so much nicer that, in the end, it's really impossible to declare either the winner. And just to make matters more confusing, 1974 05 12 South Bend IN is out there in the wings, a ferocious "event" show (the 10th anniversary of the original Mothers of Invention, complete with "Louie Louie"). Maybe it's a good thing the Indiana show hasn't yet seen the light of day - it'd just make choosing a single "winner" even more of a headache.
  • 1974 Summer/Fall Europe - I'll be generous and split this tour up into two bits, because otherwise, digesting it in a single show would be near-impossible. The "first leg" winner is clearly 1974 09 25 Gothenburg Sweden - a show I loved so much that I ended up going off the deep end, ... actually sounds a bit nicer to my ears... This show is far and away incredible, as most 1974 shows tend to be. While this show is without a Room Service and without a Dupree's Paradise, it makes up for both these omissions by containing an absolutely out-of-control "Don't You Ever Wash That Thing", which manages to include the only known live performance of "Flambay". I actually think Nappy does a better job on this than Thana Harris - even when he's botching the lyrics. Oh, and did I mention this show contains very nearly the only performance (not counting the semi-instrumental versions in the Spring of 74, nor the rehearsal from December 74, nor the New Year's Eve show) of "Can't Afford No Shoes", in a heavily funkified, better-than-the-album version? Because it does. A treat from start to finish. 1974 10 01 L Basel Switzerland has the "missing" Dupree's Paradise and Room Service, both in excellent versions...
  • 1974 Fall America/Winter - my pick would be 11/26 Lincoln, Nebraska, featuring "200 Years Old" - yet another early "metal god" solo of Zappa's that must be heard to be fully appreciated. …I'm going to be very unimaginative and pick 1974 11 17 Philadelphia PA . Nice sound, no Dupree's, but plenty of other songs to grit one's teeth on, such as the excellent "Dinah Moe-Humm". Excellent, plus "Dinah Moe Humm", are words one doesn't hear too often. And as for Tom Fowler-less shows, how about 1974 11 30 Naperville IL , with "Any Downers", a monster "Pojama People", and excellent solos throughout?
  • 1975 Spring, the may 3rd Baltimore show is simply incredible, with thirty minutes of tight improvisations, plus a solid Pound for a Brown and an old, nasty "Torture Never Stops"… I'll go with the other easy choice, from 1975 05 23 El Paso TX . … a sweet Pound, a nasty Apostrophe ('), and Jimmy Carl Black on guest vocals. What's not to like? All it's missing are a Willie the Pimp and a Torture Never Stops, really, …beyond the other likely candidates, the New Jersey (early/late) and the Boston (early/late) shows.
  • 1975 Fall - no contest, 1975 12 07 Hamilton wins it hands down. Eddie Jobson guests on violin, and brings every track he plays on to a new plane of "sick". Stinkfoot becomes not just nasty, but haunting. Black Napkins hints at the sick inanities that would occur a year down the line. Filthy Habits - god damn, even if it's being played too fast, it's simply sublime. And Chunga's Revenge is thirty minutes of explorative perfection. Even when Jobson isn't soloing, it's as if the energy he brings to the table affects Frank - his Advance Romance solo is delicious, Illinois is short but sweet, and Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy is very inspired. True, by this stage in the tour Zappa had dropped the "Swallow My Pride > Any Downers" (Swallow My Downers) medley, but when listening to the solos of this winter's night in Hamilton, I find myself barely missing either. Good versions of both are found on the 10/14 Kansas
  • 1976 Winter - I really like these shows. While each one is basically the same setlist as any other, it's interesting to hear the variations in each. And any tour with a regular babbling spot for Roy Estrada is impossible to overlook. My favorite Roy Estrada babbling comes in the 3/11 Offenburg show ... The entire Chunga's Revenge from this show is a thing of beauty, eventually mutating into a very bouncy, infectious guitar hook, which leads into a Ship Ahoy section. Delicious. 2/04 Kyoto & 2/03 Osaka as The Eyes Of Osaka, is one of the best from this time period, even if the show itself is a little unremarkable. I have fond memories of syncing up the Ship Ahoy solo with the officially released version on Shut Up and Play Your Guitar and basking myself in very amateur, low-budget surround sound. ..1976 03 13 Lugano Switzerland as the show to get - and it still deserves at least a mention for the Chunga's Revenge explorations.
  • 1976 Fall - no contest. 1976 10 24 (L) Boston MA features every highlight of the Bianca band, along with the rare performance of "I'm So Cute", completely different from the manic dirge we've grown accustomed to, and utterly excellent. Excellent music, killer rarities (catch the early version of Any Kind of Pain, twenty-odd years before it finally became a regular setlist item), and sleek, delicious sound - what more could a person want?
  • 1976 Christmas - three shows, you mean one has to be better than the others? 1976 12 28 Palladium NYC features a half-hour Purple Lagoon in addition to the standard crop of Zappa In New York tunes. Can't complain.
  • 1977 Winter - I haven't really spent enough time with this tour to truly weed out all the minute differences and variations. I can only say that I like what I've heard very much, and demand more. 1977 02 03 Paris is both lengthy and good-sounding, with a fantastic Jobson / Zappa "Black Napkins" duel.
  • 1977 Fall - a no-brainer, unless it comes time to rank. While each and every show from this tour is fantastic and needs to be heard, two of these shows are miles above the rest. I refer, of course, to 1977 10 30 NYC Palladium and 1977 10 31 Palladium NYC . I had lengthy write-ups of both when composing my original "top ten" list, but since said list and said writeups are both long gone, I'll try to recreate both while keeping this gargantuan list short: 10/30 features deviations from the "standard" Fall 77 setlist, the only performance of Jewish Princess, a very early proto-Dancing Fool, and not just the "human gas mask" Roy Estrada, but the "human trombone", Phil Kaufman, performing at such quality that when I first heard this show, long before Baby Snakes was anything beyond a very expensive out of print VHS tape, I assumed he was playing an actual trombone. 10/31 features one of Zappa's five greatest guitar workouts - after the half hour Wild Love, which features an outstanding Belew e-Bow solo, Zappa goes on a beautiful, delicious binge oftimes referred to as "The Squirm" - and like another greatest-solo-ever, the October 13th 1978 Black Napkins, when the band plays the final riff, Zappa plays a quick "accentuating" line - that accentuates and accentuates, and accentuates and accelerates, and three minutes later the band finds themselves in the middle of a rock and roll jam. ZOONT! Everybody NEEDS these two shows.
  • 1978 Winter - the late show from 2/17, with a rare early Deathless Horsie - positively sick, it'd be hard to overlook 1978 02 15 Berlin Germany . ..certainly one of the better shows ... Includes "The Sheik Yerbouti Tango" and "Rat Tomango", both in their original contexts. Very good sound in this one. 1978 02 25 Neunkirchen am Brand is nearly just as stellar in the sound department, even if it's missing "Yo Mama". It makes up for this by including the "White Person" deviations, as hinted at on You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, volume #6.
  • 1978 Fall - you know, when a show as ferocious and out-of-control as 1978 10 13 late Passaic , featuring one of Zappa's five finest guitar moments (Black Napkins - words fail everyone) as well as a hilarious audience (who is that screaming "fuck you" during Little House I Used to Live In, and who - or what - is the target of such ire?) - when a show of this caliber is not the "easy pick" from the tour, you know there's something rotten in Denmark. But just as civilized men of society will pay thousands of dollars for grapes that've rotted in the most careful of ways, so too will the civilized pass this show up in their haste to recommend 1978 10 31 Palladium NYC , THE BIG ONE. …is not complete (missing several minutes of Deathless Horsie), it's still a must-have. Nearly four hours in length...With the only worthless moments being the "storytelling deviations" in the tail end of Pound for a Brown, this is absolutely legendary. Zappa is joined by the great L. Shankar, the "bionic parrot" of the electric middle-eastern violin, who lifts every jam he participates in to whole new heights. I'm not going to waste words here - you need this show...
  • 1979 - The 3/14 Madrid contains some of the best guitar Zappa ever played in Inca Roads (or any other tune, for that matter). The trouble is, the sound isn't so good - very echoey and hissy. 2/24 Paris is good sound, but the show's rather dull. 3/19 Brest has sound that's just as excellent as Paris, great music on guitar, and humor up the wazoo (and on guitar). But all of these are eclipsed by 1979 04 01 Zurich Switzerland 129 - the show so fantastic it was honored by being featured as the 200th listening session.... The ferocious tomfoolery in Easy Meat makes this a must-hear by itself, but stick around for a City of Outside Now and a typically excellent Inca Roads solo, as well as the rare encores, featuring Village of the Sun and Conehead - not to mention Treacherous Cretins. Yum.
  • 1980 Spring/Summer - 1980 05 27 Bremen and 1980 05 27 Bremen . Six guitar solos in the first eight songs. An Easy Meat solo that goes all over the place. And just enough of the typical "You Are What You Demo" suite to give a flavor of Spring/Summer 1980. I'm incredibly partial to the sound in the Chunga's Revenge version - rich and full across the spectrum ...
  • 1980 Fall - this will likely surprise nobody, even though I myself wasn't fully sure of it until listening one final time to the Berkeley shows. As I wrote in my review, Tulsa 1980 was the birthplace of quite a lot of musical notes, quite a lot of which were, in fact, the perfect notes for their particular place in time and space. After much careful examination and even more careful beard-stroking, I am pleased to announce that 1980 10 18 (L) Tulsa Oklahoma is my pick of the incredibly cut-throat Fall 1980 crop. There are a lot of good shows from this tour, from the officially released Buffalo to the deliciously clean Pittsburgh… , from the insane 11/30 Des Moines show to the 11/08 and 11/10 shows. While all these shows are excellent, and enjoyable enough that I could easily find myself launching a relatively enthusiastic review of the lot, none of them quite match Tulsa. Rather than take up room here, just go read the review. Another great show from this tour to check out is 1980 11 29 late Chicago - great sound and a great show, with a surprise quote of either Status Back Baby or Stravinsky during the Torture Never Stops guitar solo.
  • 1981 - saving me from having to sweat through the last four shows of the tour, all of which are highly excellent, there exists 1981 11 17 The Ritz, NYC , voted by some idiot magazine as "the best concert ever played by anyone, anywhere". While I don't find myself leaping to agree (I have a hard time even calling it the best of the 1981 tour), there's no doubting that this is a very good show, and no doubting that it makes for a representative sample of the tour, and hence, a great starting point.
  • 1982 - as a wise penguin once mused: If you can listen to 1982 06 29 Linz and not find each of your ears connected by a gigantic, face-swallowing grin, then you're not just cold-hearted. You're positively dead inside. Another "top five ever" candidate - and what's more shocking is that some of the Italian shows, while perhaps not quite as "out there" as this warm night in Austria, are song-for-song just as good, and perhaps even more consistent throughout (I'll admit - the first four songs of the Linz show, not including the Mammy Anthem, are rather boring)...
  • 1984 - I was going to split this epic-length "tour" into seperate bits, … the major competing candidates (the 11/30/84 shows…won't you accept 1984 08 22 (L) Indianapolis IN in their stead? Secret word play tonight is sparse, but the band's in a great mood, and the dull moments (hey, it is a 1984 show) are easily compensated for by the disgusting guitar workouts and miscellaneous rarities - a near-twenty-minute Truck Driver Divorce? A Let's Move to Cleveland that metamorphoses into a whole new improvised full-band song? The only known 1984 performance of the Society Pages medley? Yep, yep, and yep. Not a bad show at all, considering that 1984 timbre...
  • 1988 - while it might be wise to break this into U.S. and Europe legs, I find myself hard-pressed to narrow it down to a single U.S. show. Don't get me wrong, they're all reasonably enjoyable, even, dare I say, "good" - but the "events" within each seem a bit too orchestrated, calculated, methodical - in a word, artificial. We get a religious loony climbing up on stage and telling us how evil Zappa is - but this guy is a friend of Zappa's, putting on a bit of performance art. We get Dweezil and the kids, but while I'm sure it was a great moment for Zappa - and for Zappa fans witnessing the event - on tape, it's a bit of a non-event, certainly nothing like the L. Shankar experiences of the 78 Halloween run, the Jobson guest-spot of Hamilton 75 - or even Craig "Twister" Stewart, for that matter. We get some smoking improv in D.C., but nothing that I'll forever remember, note-for-note, the way certain improvs (Berlin 1972, anyone?) hit me. The Philly shows are eventful, the Detroit shows are musical, the Chicago shows are excellent..., and there's a bit of Ed Mann drama - but nothing really leaps out and attacks you in a dark alley, you know? Once the band hits Europe, however, there's plenty of tomfoolery. I'll narrow it down to three: the Ring of Fire show from 4/22, the 4/27 "fornebu" show (with a very nice horn solo in Torture), and the classic "cornhole" show from Mannheim (while the 5/24 "Star Wars" show is just as good if not better), I'm going to vote sentimentally here, ... All of them offer secret word play, and each of them offers a very competant setlist of some variety or another. The only truly mandatory 1988 song that's missing from these combined setlists is "Cruising for Burgers", so let's throw in the Chicago show from 3/4

Post subject: Re: Best Zappa Concerts
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:10 pm 

Who would go and say it was a bad show? Did he have bad shows?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:38 pm 

New Years Eve 1977 UCLA. Standouts of that concert are:

Pound for a Brown
Stinkfoot
Wild Love (2nd part)
Punky's Whips
Conehead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:52 am 

Quote:
# 1975 Fall - no contest,
1975 12 07 Hamilton wins it hands down. Eddie Jobson guests on violin, and brings every track he plays on to a new plane of "sick". Stinkfoot becomes not just nasty, but haunting. Black Napkins hints at the sick inanities that would occur a year down the line. Filthy Habits - god damn, even if it's being played too fast, it's simply sublime. And Chunga's Revenge is thirty minutes of explorative perfection. Even when Jobson isn't soloing, it's as if the energy he brings to the table affects Frank - his Advance Romance solo is delicious, Illinois is short but sweet, and Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy is very inspired.

As quoted from a quote by Slime... :roll:

You can actually listen to 5 selections from the above Hamilton Show through the following link:
http://www.killuglyradio.com/2010/01/08/frank-zappa-hamilton-1975/#more-3003

Enjoy :lol:

Quote:
And as the following five tracks I have chosen here will attest, the arrangements performed at the Phys-Ed Complex at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, on December 7th, 1975, are just as distinctive as the aforementioned shows. In many ways, Hamilton ‘75 is even more distinctive than Philly 76 insomuch that Eddie Jobson seems to be given more of a freer reign to solo in Hamilton (in Hamilton Jobson was a guest performer, while in Philadelphia he was a band member). In “Chunga’s Revenge” the entire ensemble is allowed to “strut their stuff”, so to speak, and express their individual talents within the arrangement.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:32 pm 

i heard of a birthday show that went all wrong and the girl stated crying"being zappa" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: sounds like a plan :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: mr. bean too

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:02 pm 

SwaggartDecisions wrote:
^^^^ Was only jokin' :)

And I have to add:

8. Santa Monica 12/1981 (great FZ solos, esp. SATLTSADW, special guests Nicolas Slonimsky and Lisa Popeil)

YES. Easily on my top 5 shows with ritz, halloween 78,

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:20 pm 

I pick the shows I saw

1977 11 20 - Pauley Pavillion, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA

Intro, Peaches En Regalia, The Torture Never Stops, Tryin' To Grow A Chin, City Of Tiny Lights, A Pound For A Brown, Bobby Brown, Conehead, Flakes, Big Leg Emma, Envelopes, Disco Boy, I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth, Wild Love, Titties 'n Beer, The Black Page, Jones Crusher, Broken Hearts Are For Assholes, Punky's Whips, quitar solo (q: Isn't It Romantic?), Dinah-Moe Humm, Camarillo Brillo, Muffin Man, San Ber'dino, Black Napkins

FZ, Adrian Belew, Patrick O'Hearn, Terry Bozzio, Ed Mann, Tommy Mars, Peter Wolf.

1977 12 31 - Pauley Pavillion, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA

Intro, Dancin' Fool, Peaches En Regalia, The Torture Never Stops, Tryin' To Grow A Chin, City Of Tiny Lights, Baby Snakes, A Pound For A Brown (incl. Gas Mask*), I Have Been In You, Flakes, Broken Hearts Are For Assholes, Wild Love, Punky's Whips, Find Her Finer, Envelopes, Stinkfoot, Dong Work For Yuda, The Black Page, Jones Crusher, Disco Boy, Dinah-Moe Humm, Bobby Brown, Conehead, Camarillo Brillo, Muffin Man, San Ber'dino, Black Napkins, Auld Lang Syne

FZ, Adrian Belew, Patrick O'Hearn, Terry Bozzio, Ed Mann, Tommy Mars, Peter Wolf.With Roy Estrada on vocals (*)

1980 04 06 - Sports Arena, Los Angeles, CA

Watermelon In Easter Hay, Teenage Wind, Harder Than Your Husband, Bamboozled By Love, Pick Me I'm Clean, Society Pages, I'm A Beautiful Guy, Beauty Knows No Pain, Charlie's Enormous Mouth, Any Downers?, Conehead, Easy Meat, Mudd Club, The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing, Heavenly Bank Account, Suicide Chump, Jumbo Go Away, If Only She Woulda, I Don't Wanna Get Drafted, Joe's Garage, Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?, Dancin' Fool, Bobby Brown, Black Napkins, Nite Owl

FZ, Ike Willis, Ray White, Arthur Barrow, David Logeman, Tommy Mars.

1984 07 22 - Palace Theater, Los Angeles, CA

The Black Page, Tinsel Town Rebellion, Oh No, Trouble Every Day, Penguin In Bondage, Hot Plate Heaven At The Green Hotel, Dumb All Over, The Evil Prince, Carolina Hard-Core Ecstasy, Advance Romance, He's So Gay, Bobby Brown, Keep It Greasey, Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me?, Carol You Fool, The Dangerous Kitchen, Chana In De Bushwop, Let's Move To Cleveland, Why Don't You Like Me?, Stick It Out (q: Light My Fire), Truck Driver Divorce* (q: Stick It Out), In France*/**, Chunga's Revenge***

FZ, Ike Willis, Ray White, Scott Thunes, Chad Wackerman, Allan Zavod, Bobby Martin, Napoleon Murphy Brock (July 17 - August 1) Guest appearances by George Duke on keyboards (*), Johnny Guitar Watson on guitar and vocals (**) and Aynsley Dunbar on drums, Denny Walley on guitar and Bruce Fowler on trombone (***).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:27 am 

Fillmore East, NYC 11/?/70 (early show)
Call Any Vegetable, The Sanzini Bros., A Pound For A Brown/Sleeping In A Jar, The Sanzini Bros, Sharleena, Dog Breath/Mother People, You Didn't Try To Call Me, Jeff Simmons beer routine, Rudy Wants
To Buy Yez A Drink, Would You Go All The Way?, Chunga's Revenge, King Kong.

There may have been more tunes played; this is all I remember. The Grateful Dead were playing across the street at the Anderson Theater. A Hell's Angel approached me, scaring the crap out of me. All he wanted was if I was interesting in buying a ticket to see the Dead. I told him I'm seeing Frank Zappa.
He replied," if the Dead weren't playing, I'd be seeing Zappa too." The sound at the Fillmore was excellent! I lost count on people coming up to me on the street and saying "wanna buy some acid?" lol!

FDU. Teaneck NJ 3/20/88
Stinkfoot, The Untouchables, Stick Together, My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama, Willie The Pimp, Montana, City Of Tiny Lights, A Pound For A Brown, Marqueson's Chicken, When The Lie's So Big, Jesus Thinks You're A Jerk ,Intermission. Zoot Allures, I Ain't Got No Heart, Love Of My Life, Big Swifty, The Torture Never Stops Medley, Peaches En Regalia, Stairway To Heaven, Texas Motel Medley, Whipping Post, Watermelon In Easter Hay

I was half-way out the door, after Whipping Post. I thought the show was over. I ran back when I heard
the opening notes of Watermelon In Easter Hay. The sound was horrible, mainly on the vocals. All in all, I was quite pleased with the show. I never thought at the time this was going to be the last tour.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:42 pm 

April or May '73 at Jadwyn Gym, Princeton University, with Ponty.

I loved this show, sat on bleachers, heard some of his best horn playing, I think that Sal Marquez was in the band also. I have only seen this show in bits and pieces as a download, it would be my dream to get the whole one.

Ruth and Ian and the Fowlers were there, Zappabase says Duke, Just don't remember, but I do remember the Green Genes, Montana and Uncle Meat and King Fuckin' Kong. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:35 pm 

tweezers wrote:
April or May '73 at Jadwyn Gym, Princeton University, with Ponty.

I loved this show, sat on bleachers, heard some of his best horn playing, I think that Sal Marquez was in the band also. I have only seen this show in bits and pieces as a download, it would be my dream to get the whole one.

Ruth and Ian and the Fowlers were there, Zappabase says Duke, Just don't remember, but I do remember the Green Genes, Montana and Uncle Meat and King Fuckin' Kong. :D

1973 04 27 - McCarter Theatre, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ

RDNZL, Dog Meat, Fifty-Fifty, Pygmy Twylyte, Don't Eat The Yellow Snow, Nanook Rubs It, St Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast, Father O'Blivion, St Alfonzo reprise, improvisations, Inca Roads, Montana, improvisation (q: Eat That Question, Big Swifty), Dupree's Paradise, Cosmik Debris, Farther Oblivion, Mr Green Genes, King Kong, Chunga's Revenge, Mr Green Genes

FZ, Jean Luc Ponty, Tom Fowler, Ralph Humphrey, Ruth Underwood, Ian Underwood, George Duke, Bruce Fowler, Sal Marquez (late March - July)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:09 pm 

The Ritz '81. I saw a lot of incredibly strange & wonderful shows in that venue. I sort of recall one where the band played the entire show with their backs to the audience.
I think it was PIL or someone like that - so long ago and lots of stimulants involved at the time.